Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Edited second post with some useful information, such as which Undaunted Chests to gamble your keys on, a giant infographic on every single set item location in the game, and 2 power-leveling guides for Alchemy and Provisioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Just picking this up for the first time to give it a go - all the build info seems to be post level cap, is there a guide for 1-50, does it matter at all what I focus on/put points into?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dinurth posted:

Just picking this up for the first time to give it a go - all the build info seems to be post level cap, is there a guide for 1-50, does it matter at all what I focus on/put points into?

Level everything. Wear at least 1 of each piece of armor as you level, level your class abilities at least up to the morph (and morph them), if you want to go stamina level 2hander/bow/sword and board.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

After playing the 1Tamriel update for a day or so I have to wonder why they didn't just strip "levels" out of the game entirely. At level 7 I beat a level 20 guy in duel, it seemed totally evenly matched. I grouped with level 50 + types to kill a boss in Stonefall. Killing an enemy at level 18 is now the same at level 7, there's zero difference the time or anything. If I have a sword of the red mountain and its level 7, it takes 10 swings to kill a monster. Then at level 18 I have another sword of red mountain and it takes 10 swings to kill a monster why not just let me keep the level 7 one forever?! Why not let me upgrade it to the level 18 one. The whole thing seems so bizarrely done. Its like they can't gather the balls to remove that "progression" entirely, but have completely neutered any skinner box type reward of getting more powerful by going back to murder level 10 guars. All of the numbers are totally stupid aswell, I have like 15,000 HP or something at level 18. Why not just have it at 150 or 1500. Ugh its all so hamfisted.

Edit:

Here is my character at level 18. These numbers just seem stupid, especially considering how irrelevant they all seem to be now.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 9, 2016

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
If I want to heal people, I should go templar and put points into Magicka, right?

Actually, how important is pumping the various stats? Will someone with say 10 in Stamina and 10 in Magicka be totally outclassed by someone with 20 points in stamina or 20 in Magicka?

Danith fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 9, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pump everything into one stat. If you're focusing on physical/poison/disease damage go all into stamina. If you're focusing on elemental magic, go all in with magicka.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Morglon posted:

Yeah I still have no idea who drops what and why and that goes for all drops, especially zone drops. Isn't there a handy spread sheet some super sperg made that can help me?

http://esoacademy.com/set-bonus-items/

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
I really like this update. I like that I can go to any zone and kill something and get experience for it. Rather then having areas where all the monsters are grey and I would never go there. Also kinda cool how they made it so treasure maps for outside of whatever zone you're currently in will drop. Kinda brings that travel aspect to the game and rewards you for having been to every area. Makes the game feel more like a world instead of a staircase.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
One Tamriel takes the feeling of your character getting stronger and throws it out the window.

That wolf that you fought 3 hours ago? It took just as long to kill that as the giant demon you just fought.

It neuters any feeling of power.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

bear is driving! posted:

One Tamriel takes the feeling of your character getting stronger and throws it out the window.

That wolf that you fought 3 hours ago? It took just as long to kill that as the giant demon you just fought.

Ok sure, but, the game had wolves and giant demons at every power level before. So that is nothing new. Progression should always be about options, and not watching stupid numbers get bigger.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

eSporks posted:

Ok sure, but, the game had wolves and giant demons at every power level before. So that is nothing new. Progression should always be about options, and not watching stupid numbers get bigger.

I guess I just like feeling my character get stronger and not having a static ttk and difficulty level for it's lifecycle.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

bear is driving! posted:

I guess I just like feeling my character get stronger and not having a static ttk and difficulty level for it's lifecycle.

This is actually a thing with this update that's bothering me more than it really should. The feeling of character progression still being structured how it is doesn't feel right, as you never feel much of an increase in power in the first 50 levels. Add in that the leveling still feels pretty slow and it's just sorta off-putting. It's a shame as the game probably has some of the better questing in an MMO.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

How does this one tamriel update compare to the way guild wars 2 does things? I know its a bit different already since gw2 only scales you down to a lower level in PVE zones not up to max level.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I don't see anything wrong with this whole battle leveling thing. Actually gives me a reason to go back and complete my skyshard collection on all my toons across Cadwell's gold. The whole "we spread the items out over each zone" thing is just icing on the cake. I think the idea behind One Tamriel is for players to pick up the game, make a character, and just be able to go anywhere and do whatever the gently caress they want, be it hunt gear, go into PvP, or sit in a tavern playing pretend inside a video game.

Maybe it's probably due to being able to melt everything short of World Bosses in 3 seconds flat. Or maybe it's because I'm able to test out new poo poo because of all the drops. Getting some decent gear now is about as easy as getting a group together to farm dungeons and trading the useful stuff between each other or just go around the overland clearing bosses and dolmens and trading with other players for what I need.

Or maybe it's because this is all getting people to start getting back into Cyrodiil, which I have no problem with. I need more Blues and Yellows to curbstomp with the Argonian Gank Squad

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

How does this one tamriel update compare to the way guild wars 2 does things? I know its a bit different already since gw2 only scales you down to a lower level in PVE zones not up to max level.
It's pretty much the same thing, except instead of scaling down it scales up, and takes both stat allocation and gear setups into account. If you're running consistently updated gear with stat foods then you should be able to handle most things no problem, with World Bosses being the only thing that require asking for help. That's why they added that equipment efficiency indicator to the character sheet. If you're constantly rolling 3/4 stars on that menu, then that means your gear is up to par. The only time my sheet has anything below 5 stars is when I'm testing a new item set or on my back bar, because gently caress if I'm going to upgrade a Defending Maelstrom Bow.

Granted it all changes if you've got the CP and gear to do whatever. I've noticed zero difference in the overland bosses that aren't strictly designed with a "gently caress you for playing solo" mechanic built in, like all the DLC bosses. All they did to the non-DLC stuff was add a ton more HP and resistances and that's that. It's the classic Bethesda approach to increasing the difficulty without breaking the game. If you want legit challenging stuff that isn't just "bullet sponges and one-hit KOs" then the DLC dungeons and Maw of Lorkhaj are right up your alley. Your progression there comes from being able to get through those instances faster and cleaner with each completion.

Late night edit: Cleaned up the second post of the OP and added new information to the Loot System basics rundown.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 10, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I really can't comprehend this logic. If you went through the game at a reasonable pace before OT you wouldn't have noticed much difficulty curve either. Why do you want to run around 1 shotting everything and not getting exp anyways? I will never understand the draw behind watching numbers go up.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

My problem with current scaling is that numbers actually go DOWN while I level. Every level you have LESS health, less stamina, less magicka, and it's not really easy to keep your gear up to date all the time. I love 1T but this part of it irks me a bit because it makes gear more important than it should be.

And I mourn my lost ability to outlevel some hard quest and finish it later. With 1T if I don't do it now then it'll be only harder to do later. But oh well, you can't have everything.

Edit: Actually perceived progression still exists because you still get new abilities you can play around with. It's just that you don't really feel the "more crit" skill the same way as you feel "more levels" because you never outlevel mobs.

Cpl Clegg fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 10, 2016

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

eSporks posted:

I really can't comprehend this logic. If you went through the game at a reasonable pace before OT you wouldn't have noticed much difficulty curve either. Why do you want to run around 1 shotting everything and not getting exp anyways? I will never understand the draw behind watching numbers go up.

I don't care about the thrill of watching numbers go up etc, but what I am trying to articulate is that the 1Tameriel update effectively renders the concept of "level up" pointless. I think game mechanics as they exist now don't support the type of game they have tried to remould ESO into. Case in point the level 7 and level 18 "identical" swords of the red mountain that I should just be able to use forever, but instead need to grind out a new one every few levels. Case in point beating people 20 levels higher in duels etc. It is all now effectively pointless.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Fried Sushi posted:

New furniture crafting system for crafters to furnish their house and SELL the furniture they can make

This I like. If they get anywhere even remotely near to what Everquest 2 has, housing in ESO is gonna own.

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
but dudes at level 18 instead of level 7 or whatever, you've spent 11 skill points atleast hopefully, a larger area of the game world has been explored, foes have been defeated, new and better loot has been obtained, quests have been completed, etc. That doesn't do anything for your progression boner?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

bear is driving! posted:

No, that's silly and you're wrong. The combination of better gear, more skills, more passives and champion points means that you can definitely kill poo poo much much faster and more effectively as you level.

Cpl Clegg posted:

My problem with current scaling is that numbers actually go DOWN while I level. Every level you have LESS health, less stamina, less magicka, and it's not really easy to keep your gear up to date all the time. I love 1T but this part of it irks me a bit because it makes gear more important than it should be.
The battle leveling thing is very generous to lower level players, it's meant to help them compete with higher level guys while doing the same content. When you hit max level and it's gone, think of it as a crutch that's been removed--it's up to your build and gear to make your character effective, not a handicap. I think this system works very well.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Honestly, just turn the game into an action game and remove all RPG elements. With this new update they are meaningless. New gear is pointless, levels are pointless. It's all the same homogeneous mess now.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

How does this one tamriel update compare to the way guild wars 2 does things?

This game is still good, they chose not to turn it into complete garbage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

lol I never thought goons would rage (so hard) about zenimax making the game better.

By all means, try to level up to 50 with level 4 gear and not spending attributes/skillpoints since new gear and leveling don't matter anymore.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

PureRok posted:

Honestly, just turn the game into an action game and remove all RPG elements. With this new update they are meaningless. New gear is pointless, levels are pointless. It's all the same homogeneous mess now.

Last night I got some gear that made my Sorcerer significantly stronger. I also kill things in about a fifth of the time as my brother who just started. The difference between this and another DikuMUD like WoW or EQ is that I can group with him with zero penalty to either of us.

In other words, I call bullshit.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

MF_James posted:

lol I never thought goons would rage (so hard) about zenimax making the game better.

By all means, try to level up to 50 with level 4 gear and not spending attributes/skillpoints since new gear and leveling don't matter anymore.

Oh my god, you cant possibly be this dense. If it takes 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 10 with a level 10 sword of red mountain and it takes 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 20 sword of red mountian and it takes my friend 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 50 with a level 50 sword of the red mountain. Why not make it so you only ever need a single sword of the red mountain?!

The game is much better now, absolutely. For sure 100 % agreed, but that doesn't mean that its still not a total clusterfuck of useless poo poo. It just means it was even worse before.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

mitochondritom posted:

Why not make it so you only ever need a single sword of the red mountain?!

Because that would be very, very boring?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Oh my god, you cant possibly be this dense. If it takes 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 10 with a level 10 sword of red mountain and it takes 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 20 sword of red mountian and it takes my friend 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 50 with a level 50 sword of the red mountain. Why not make it so you only ever need a single sword of the red mountain?!

The game is much better now, absolutely. For sure 100 % agreed, but that doesn't mean that its still not a total clusterfuck of useless poo poo. It just means it was even worse before.

I still don't understand how it's taking you 30 seconds to kill the guar across all levels. Have you actually done this? Do you only use light/heavy attacks? Your power increases at a much quicker rate than monsters* so your TTK should be getting lower unless you're doing something stupid.

*group bosses/dungeons/trials not withstanding

I have leveled a stamplar from 20-31, since 1T dropped, and my TTK is definitely lower. I'm still using the same gear, except for weapons, that I was at the start because I've been too lazy to stop and make new training gear. There have been power fluctuations due to swapping in new skills, but overall I'm killing stuff faster.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 10, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I should get my Nord lowbie DK out again just to show you guys that levels and gear progression are still a thing.

In other news, Destro staff Ultimate is loving amazing in PvP. Ran with a small group last night and two sorcs with a Negate and Lightning Staff Eye of the Storm managed to completely shut down an attempt by DC to take Bleakers.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

PureRok posted:

New gear is pointless, levels are pointless. It's all the same homogeneous mess now.

MF_James posted:

Holy hell, I rarely ever bother to respond to stuff like this in this thread but GODDAMN is one of these wrong and one is incredibly right. Care to take a guess, reader?

Also, ask Trial runners and PvPers about how useless gear and levels are lol.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I don't understand why people are complaining about this. You can now level up from 1-50 however/wherever you want, you can also group with ANYONE (hellllooooo powerleveling, I'm sure scy or someone that's ridiculously powerful could plow dungeons for people to level them up quickly if he wanted...), once you're 50 and hitting CP you can now go to ANY zone and grind to your hearts content, or you can go back and do quests you didn't already do and actually get XP!

I dunno, this seems really good to me, I ran into an issue with my first and second chars where I outleveled my progression and ended up fighting poo poo that was giving little/no exp, now that never happens!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
More importantly, people are now willingly doing my two favorite dungeons, Blessed Crucible and Direfrost Keep because every dungeon now has drops specific to it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is a Full Heal Templar really useful, IE: Will it get me groups faster then anything else? Can they still solo thing? Can Full Heal dudes learn daedric summoning?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Is a Full Heal Templar really useful, IE: Will it get me groups faster then anything else? Can they still solo thing? Can Full Heal dudes learn daedric summoning?

healers are sought after, but you also want some damage stuff, you're not going to fill up both bars with healing crap, probably 1 bar will be resto staff, templar healing things, and a buff/damage thing and the other will be something like maybe destro staff + a heal or two? I dunno.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I agree that normal dungeons needed to be adjusted but they went too far. People are getting one shot by boss abilities and trash just takes longer to kill.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In as @Turtlicious, would love a guild invite, and some goons to show me the ropes.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Are goons gathering on CTS mumble, or discord, or what now?

Also who can suggest an easy babby guide to playing the current flavor of O.P. guy?

Finally, are items loving sold-bound on pickup? One thing i hated about BDO was that I couldn't trade with my friends.

Also is this game dead or what?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
BoP stuff might be Monster sets from HM dungeons and similar, but vast majority of overland drops is BoE.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

LordAdakos posted:

Are goons gathering on CTS mumble, or discord, or what now?

Also who can suggest an easy babby guide to playing the current flavor of O.P. guy?

Finally, are items loving sold-bound on pickup? One thing i hated about BDO was that I couldn't trade with my friends.

Also is this game dead or what?

1. We use Discord for voice comms.
2. Roll magplar, ask here for more advice.
3. All items found in dungeons are Bind on Pickup, but can be traded with the other players in the same group/instance you are in. The same applies to items in Trials. All overland (aka Regional) item drops are Bind on Equip and can be freely traded/sold/scammed.
4. This game is not dead.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
We should do mega awesome PvP this weekend, Azura's Star has been lame as hell solo lately, and since 1T I now have an entire bank filled with new ways to kill filthy DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

MF_James posted:

I don't understand why people are complaining about this. You can now level up from 1-50 however/wherever you want, you can also group with ANYONE (hellllooooo powerleveling, I'm sure scy or someone that's ridiculously powerful could plow dungeons for people to level them up quickly if he wanted...), once you're 50 and hitting CP you can now go to ANY zone and grind to your hearts content, or you can go back and do quests you didn't already do and actually get XP!

I dunno, this seems really good to me, I ran into an issue with my first and second chars where I outleveled my progression and ended up fighting poo poo that was giving little/no exp, now that never happens!

Exactly, the game is better than it's ever been. It's more rewarding now for things you want to do in an ES game anyway like exploring and questing.

Turtlicious posted:

Templar healers are the most sought after (and common) healers. Overall as a healer you'll find no trouble getting a group. Healers are almost required for every dungeon with rare exception (hello desperate 4 DPS goon runs!). Tanks are next in line but there's plenty of dungeons where tanks aren't required.

Anyway, a healer wants the same stats that a magicka DPS wants anyway (Spell power, crit, max magicka) so it's easy to level up some damage abilities too so you're never locked in to ONLY healing.

A big no to the daedric summoning, though. That's more of the Sorcerer purview. Do yourself a favor and check out each classes ability trees. Certain armor sets and the like can have summoning effects and the like, so keep that in mind.