Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ewe2 posted:

I'm having a weird issue with the New Life Festival event, I seem to be being blocked from it. The impressario is nowhere to be seen (her assistant claims she's "out") so I can't use the portal and I can't find Breda in Eastmarch and the quest isn't available from the Crown store. I tried with different characters and the result is the same, what the hell. I've done the event before, though.

It doesn’t begin until tomorrow, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

jabro posted:

Tomorrow 10 am est (at least on xbox na)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

jabro posted:

Really? the info on the website seems to indicate it started on the 9th. edit: jfc I misread the line, you're right. :v:

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 21, 2023

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Did they patch companions to require less approval to start their quest? i logged on in over a year and they have it available.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Baron Porkface posted:

Did they patch companions to require less approval to start their quest? i logged on in over a year and they have it available.

Yup.
Each tier needs less reputation and companions now get an xp bonus based on them that increases the more they like you.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I have a bit of a conundrum you guys might be able to help with: Too many prizes!

I haven't actively played this in several years basically because I'm busy being a dad, but I like to sub for a month each year to power-level some alts doing new life quests because they're fast and easy, not gear-dependent since there's very little combat, and relatively fun too, and there's the XP boost for the event. Once an alt hits 50 I can gear them up in crafted stuff and then that's another dude to run around doing quests with if I feel like it, and not really have to worry about character progression.

Anyway, the chance at prizes is nice too, but at this point I have SO MANY runeboxes full of winter event prizes it's a bit of an issue in terms of inventory management. Probably dozens of each prize, from past years, because I haven't bothered to sell them or anything.

These include the bather's towel outfit, the snowball and rabbit pets, and the mementos for mudballs, juggling, fire-breathing and sword-swallowing, among other things.

A few things that might help:
#1 if you can hook me up with a trading guild so I can trade some of these things for cash before my sub expires, that would be great.
#2 if you have a regular guild and you want to invite me on a temporary basis, I could load up your bank with some of these items for you and your friends.
#3 If you want a specific thing like the towel outfit, or there's a crafting thing you're looking for or whatever, gimme your @ and your wish list and I'll see if I can straight mail it to you.

I'm on PC. My handle is @nerdofprey

Everything must go!

Edit: Oh, those charity writs too, I'm drowning in those things. Pretty sure I got what I wanted out of those ages ago and they're just clutter now.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 24, 2023

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Everything must go!

Sadly I'm not particularly active in many guilds, but I'd be very glad of the Nordic towel, and any of the pets you've got too many of! I'm @Quorum in-game as well.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Quorum posted:

Sadly I'm not particularly active in many guilds, but I'd be very glad of the Nordic towel, and any of the pets you've got too many of! I'm @Quorum in-game as well.

Sent, along with mystery bonus items!

BTW contributions of gold in exchange are appreciated but NOT mandatory, if you're not rich in game, or even if you are. Again, the real reward, for me, is freeing up inventory slots on my alts, so you're already doing me a favor.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a character builder that watches for redundant buffs?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dull brain take: None of ESO is canon
Dull brain take: All of ESO is canon
Dull brain take: Only parts that don't conflict with preexisting lore are canon.
Galaxy brain: The only canon part of ESO is the 37th Lesson.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Universe brain: all of eso is canon, but the 37th lesson is double canon.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Multiverse Brain: CHIM - all of it is canon and not, and you're writing it as you play.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Alucard posted:

Multiverse Brain: CHIM - all of it is canon and not, and you're writing it as you play.

Ok, you win.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
much as Magnus sharted a hole into the firmament to forge the sun, the mods you have installed establish your canon

(the base game is a mod)

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
After a storied history of pickpocketting, I've nabbed my greatest score ever

It's beautiful (definitely selling that poo poo)

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Pontificating rear end posted:

Oooh, what finally dropped it for you?

Always thought it might be "fun" to try farming for Morrowind Banner of the 6th House...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pontificating rear end posted:

oh man I didn't even know that was a thing! I want one.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Electric Sugar posted:

Oooh, what finally dropped it for you?

Always thought it might be "fun" to try farming for Morrowind Banner of the 6th House...

Just a random pickpocket, specifically in Windhelm outside the mages guild there's a bunch of drunk people who have 100% pickpocket chance I hit up a lot. I've never got anything close to that valuable, didnt even think you could.

I've gotten the skooma bubbler itself which sells for about 25k but even that is pretty rare

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Alucard posted:

Only if you mod Skyrim to have ESO's questline.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hello eso thread, one of my friends bought me all the DLC for this game that I've barely ever played, can someone please give goon opinions on the following because I hate reddit and don't know what theorycraft sites are good:

- I want to play a healer and a caster dps, is warden a solid choice?
- are there any cash shop microtransactions that are generally seen as "must haves" if I have the most recent dlc bundle and nothing else?
- in this little portal room at the end of the tutorial, which portal would y'all recommend that I take? it appears to go to like 8 different newbie yards

ty in advance

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

- warden is a solid choice. every class is, but for healing warden is pretty good. (though... so is everyone, warden just gets The Bear)
- the big must have comes from the sub - the craft bag. aside from that I find the merchant and banker assistants really useful but you only need one of each.
- Necrom is nice but they're all good.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i'm not doing minmax endgame stuff, can I get by as a healer build with The Bear or will the pug community tear me a new orifice for trying?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

you rarely need your ult as a healer in my experience

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

blatman posted:

if i'm not doing minmax endgame stuff, can I get by as a healer build with The Bear or will the pug community tear me a new orifice for trying?

A magic based warden can go from endgame-quality healer to more than enough damage to do any questing content by just swapping a few skills and the gear you're wearing. Hella easy.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Excellent thanks yall, I started in Necrom and accidentally took an event portal to Canada, did quests there until around level 20 and found my way back

I haven't queued for anything yet, waiting to unlock a couple more restoration staff abilities before I throw myself into the grinder, but this game is an absolute bargain.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Looks like the daily rewards for this month (January 2024, wow!) is a special mount and a ton of mount upgrades (the ones you typically slowly grind out once a day if it still works the same way). Like, the vast majority of days. It's a bit unusual, but certainly intended as a lure to bring people back in or keep going (I mean the daily rewards all are, but especially obvious here).

I haven't played in a long time but it's almost tempting to make an alt to power level up those mount skills if/when I start up again and just let them sit for now, which is what I would recommend anyone do who is currently playing or considering coming back, if it's still as much of a slog as it used to be.

Or don't, whatever, I might not even myself, just a friendly heads up :)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I got Necrom on the cheap and am considering getting back into ESO, but would like to start fresh since my old main is a mess of half-completed quest chains and expansion storylines.

I've been hearing that the Arcanist class plays a bit differently than the others, which sounds appealing. Could anyone elaborate on this?

Also, what unlocks from past expansions are considered a must-have when leveling a fresh alt? I know I have to go to Solitude to unlock the antiquities system and that companions are available in Blackwood, High Isle and Necrom areas.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Twenty Four posted:

I haven't played in a long time but it's almost tempting to make an alt to power level up those mount skills if/when I start up again and just let them sit for now, which is what I would recommend anyone do who is currently playing or considering coming back, if it's still as much of a slog as it used to be.
It's still a 180 day slot for new chars, and the daily rewards are just weird. Half the days this month give you riding upgrade rewards, but all together they only knock 25 days off (11 speed, 7 capacity and stamina). You're still grinding for 5 months to finish the mount upgrades on your new char.

And of course they're useless for anyone who doesn't have a new char to grind up.

Personally, as someone who's done the whole multi-month mount upgrade grind on entirely too many chars, I think they should drop the whole thing for new players.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I only had one taker in this thread for free holiday goodies, and still a lot of stuff I had to get rid of, so the other day I used the guild finder interface in this game for the first time, joined three trade guilds, and so far I've made 4 million gold in three days. Of course that has used up most of my valuable stuff I had lying around, so that's not going to continue forever. I found a huge stockpile in one of my storage bins of crafting motifs from the anniversary events of years past, and that's been most of the money I've made.

The holiday stuff doesn't sell super well during the event itself but I've still moved a bit of it. I have hundreds of those crafting writs and they're basically worthless, but if I list them for a couple hundred each, it's cheap enough that people will buy a few here and there. Kind of a waste of a trade slot when I have better stuff to sell though.

I have to say the guild finder feature is actually really smooth and makes it easier than I expected to quickly find good guilds. I wrote up a little application that basically said "I have a lot of poo poo to sell," and trade guilds were quick to accept me.

g0del posted:

It's still a 180 day slot for new chars, and the daily rewards are just weird. Half the days this month give you riding upgrade rewards, but all together they only knock 25 days off (11 speed, 7 capacity and stamina). You're still grinding for 5 months to finish the mount upgrades on your new char.

And of course they're useless for anyone who doesn't have a new char to grind up.

Personally, as someone who's done the whole multi-month mount upgrade grind on entirely too many chars, I think they should drop the whole thing for new players.

I started an arcanist for the hell of it when I resubbed recently, and I have been doing the daily mount grind for the first time in a long while, and I agree it's a pain in the rear end. I think the only reason it's still there is because they sell those instant training things for cash. They probably make good money selling those, and if they reduced that grind in any way it would piss off all the people who paid real money for it. Thankfully I had a good-sized stash of instant mount training things in the bank from when they dropped from daily rewards long after I had trained up all my other guys. (If all your guys are trained up already, just bank those things, you won't regret it later!)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

g0del posted:

I agree with ya, but, I suppose I was looking at it from a slightly different perspective.

When my friend talked me into playing ESO with them years ago, they told me "if you are going to make an alt, make it now even if you don't play it, the riding training takes forever!" They weren't wrong.

It's hard to decide what class you would like to play from the get-go when you don't know much, then what other class you might want to play later and what other other class you might want to play eventually when you are logging in at day one, but after a little while I understood what they meant, and rolled an alt just to sit there and train mounts every day for when I might decide to play them.

I guess that was what I was getting at, just a PSA as a "this is a good time to put an alt character in your back pocket for later".

But yeah the mount training system is way too long and dumb, you are correct.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I only had one taker in this thread for free holiday goodies

I saw it and appreciated the offer but I'm not really active so I didn't take you up on it for it going to waste but thank you!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I have been doing the daily mount grind for the first time in a long while, and I agree it's a pain in the rear end. I think the only reason it's still there is because they sell those instant training things for cash. They probably make good money selling those, and if they reduced that grind in any way it would piss off all the people who paid real money for it. Thankfully I had a good-sized stash of instant mount training things in the bank from when they dropped from daily rewards long after I had trained up all my other guys. (If all your guys are trained up already, just bank those things, you won't regret it later!)

That makes sense, and if anything your final suggestion is good advice, I didn't know you could just bank the books, I probably deleted a bunch of them over the years, oops lol.

I did make a nightblade that I may play sometime in the future and have no idea what I would do with, but, it seemed like a good enough time to pick up all that stuff from the monthly giveaways.

Who knows, I don't even have the last couple of expansions and don't have the cash to pick them up, so that's probably holding me back more than anything.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Twenty Four posted:

I didn't know you could just bank the books, I probably deleted a bunch of them over the years, oops lol.

To be fair, you can bank SOME of them. You get character-bound ones sometimes from level-up rewards. The daily login reward books are account-bound and can be banked.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Comrade Koba posted:

I've been hearing that the Arcanist class plays a bit differently than the others, which sounds appealing. Could anyone elaborate on this?

I love the Arcanist and it's been my main since Necrom dropped.

The Arcanist feels different but isn't really all that different from other classes. It's definitely less complicated, but not necessarily easier.

Look at a templar. You place dots, cast buffs and spam jabs, with a light attack in between every skill. The spear jabs are your heaviest hitting ability, class and set bonuses all focused on making your jabs hit as hard as possible. Then in execute you use your beam.

Nightblade, you place dots, you cast your buffs, you watch timers because they're all different and need to be babysat, and use your spammable. At 5 light attacks your resolve proc is ready and you cast it, it's your heaviest hitting ability, class and set bonuses work to make it hit as hard as possible. Then in execute you use your killer's blade.

Necro, you place dots, cast buffs, try and keep count of how many skills you've cast so you can fire off a blastbones every 3 casts of other skills (it gets stronger after a delay, casting too often is a dps loss). Blastbones doesn't fire, or it bugs out, maybe it works (praise akatosh!) In execute you either just keep doing your rotation or use a weapon execute skill like whirling blades or executioner, because necros don't have a class execute skill.

So, Arcanist.
You place your dots and buffs, you have a charge mechanic called crux, represented by green triangles that float around your dude. Some of your abilities give you crux, others spend built up crux for stronger damage or extra effects. Your spammable is called cephaliarchs flail, it heals you, gives you crux, does a unique debuff that gives +5% dmg to whatever you hit with it and also does a bit more damage in execute.

It's like templar jabs in that your rotation is built around using it. A lot. It's like nightblade resolve because you use it to charge up a big attack which is...

Fatecarver, the mean green beam. A 4 second channel, that ticks damage 3x per second, and uses your crux to increase said damage by 33% for each crux you use (max of 3 crux) it's visually similar to templar beam, damage is high like nightblade resolve proc and has a small aoe like a necro blastbones. Beam goes brrrr.

You still have to keep dots up, watch your buff timers etc. But the Build-up-to-Boom pipeline is very streamlined. You have a buff skill that gives you 1 crux for free, so you just flail, flail, then beam, repeat. That's it. Some people find it boring, I find the simplicity is nice so I can pay more attention to following mechanics.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Error 404 posted:

You still have to keep dots up, watch your buff timers etc. But the Build-up-to-Boom pipeline is very streamlined. You have a buff skill that gives you 1 crux for free, so you just flail, flail, then beam, repeat. That's it. Some people find it boring, I find the simplicity is nice so I can pay more attention to following mechanics.

I like going Flail, Escalating Runeblades, then beam.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Offkorn posted:

I like going Flail, Escalating Runeblades, then beam.

Valid, and when I'm solo I often use evolving runemend the same way (small heal over time + crux also useful if mechs keep you out of melee range for flail because runemend generates the crux)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 3, 2024

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Been thinking about getting back into this, but is there a good online presence with you all? Solo play only takes me so far...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

dialhforhero posted:

Been thinking about getting back into this, but is there a good online presence with you all? Solo play only takes me so far...

Xbox NA is reasonably busy. There's pretty much always people on doing stuff. Whether they're doing stuff you want to do is a question though.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I play PC.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Only real 'dead' time I've seen on the North American PC server is from ~7am to 9am EST. You've got a mix of North Americans, Australians, and Chinese that keep things moving at pretty much all hours.

But as mentioned above, whether people are doing content you want to do or not is always up in the air. You can join up to 5 guilds though to help with that issue.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Error 404 posted:

Nightblade, you place dots, you cast your buffs, you watch timers because they're all different and need to be babysat, and use your spammable. At 5 light attacks your resolve proc is ready and you cast it, it's your heaviest hitting ability, class and set bonuses work to make it hit as hard as possible. Then in execute you use your killer's blade.

My character ended up up Vampire Nightblade to fill out the second ultimate slot with Vampire Lord transformation, and, as shallow as ESO can be, I've never had a character fit my playstyle better. It's a loving awesome character. This was my first MMO and the character progression paces pretty well to about CP 1000. So if anyone is wondering, I could recommend this game easily to anyone; the biggest flaw is quests are literally formulaic to the point of becoming mind-numbing after a while. I haven't played Necrom but I'm guessing that's a step in the right direction for questline content.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

Are there any active goon guilds to join on Xbox NA server?