Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Can confirm that Brands of Imperium is OP as gently caress for pledges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How the hell do you make gold in this game, and do you even need it for anything?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Stealing and questing (mostly stealing), and the only thing I've been spending significant amounts of gold on is bag/bank upgrades. There's also training your mount, but I haven't gotten around to that yet as inventory space is priority #1 for non-subscribers.

Also this is somehow the most fun I've ever had in a MMORPG aside from putting on concerts in LotRO.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I spend most of my gold on rare motifs for crafting because I just loving need to be able to craft Minotaur gloves for some reason, OK?

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Rollersnake posted:

There's also training your mount, but I haven't gotten around to that yet as inventory space is priority #1 for non-subscribers.

As a fellow non-subscriber, I'd say this is crazy-talk. I'll rather never pick anything up ever than be forced to trot around on a 0-speed horse (running is faster) :colbert:

Speaking of nonsubbing, reminder;

tgidieday posted:

PC/Mac 5500 crown pack is on sale for $24 again. Whales, ho!

Never buy crowns except in these sales, which happen about 2-3 times a year.

valuum fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 20, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Look at Stam Sorc guide, replace Surge with Vigor, Blood Craze, and Bloodthirst. Add in Venomous Claw, Noxious Breath, Volatile Armor, and Standard of Might where appropriate. Roll 2-Handed and Sword and Shield if you want to PvP.
Thank you!
Now, for another one: I've got a non-goon friend who is looking for a tanking build that can still deal some damage if needs for her Dragonknight; what would you suggest?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

radintorov posted:

Thank you!
Now, for another one: I've got a non-goon friend who is looking for a tanking build that can still deal some damage if needs for her Dragonknight; what would you suggest?

The answer to this is not so much a build, but the Dressing Room add-on (among others) and two sets of gear. As long as you're out of combat, you can switch between tank and dps mode with one button, getting the best of both.

But that's not what you asked for, so here is my DK tank from the previous thread, which still works for me (although if you use chains, get unrelenting grip). If tanking is your main focus, either magicka or stamina work in dps mode. Pick your favorite, then optimize attribute and champion points accordingly.

Here's what my stamina off-dps looks like, which is still pretty tanky:

bar 1 single (2h): rally + expert hunter/flex + wrecking blow + reverse slice + venomous claw (u) flawless dawnbreaker/flex
bar 2 aoe (2h): green dragon blood/resolving vigor/flex + critical rush + expert hunter/inner fire/flex + brawler + noxious breath (u) take flight/standard of might/flex

Note that if you're running with a good crew in a veteran dungeon, you're probably better off tanking the whole dungeon. Not because those dungeons require constant tanking, but rather with choking talons, extended chains, and pierce armor spam, you can keep the trash together and help everyone else do more damage safely. Often, the group does more damage when I'm in tank mode versus dps mode, even though my own FTC is unhappy.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 22, 2016

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Is there a way to upgrade bag space apart from the stable upgrade?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks, I'll tell my friend about it!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dinurth posted:

Is there a way to upgrade bag space apart from the stable upgrade?

Pack merchants in each major city of every region.

Alternatively, Zenimax Funbux

E: I have an infograph that shows costs of increasing space in both your Bank and Bag, but I'm not at home right now.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Honestly I would recommend just subscribing. There are codes for 60 days + 3000 crowns out there for less than 20 bucks if you look around.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Rollersnake posted:

I figured. I'm not going to go out of my way to piss people off, but for gently caress's sake—I get to the end of a dungeon, I fight the boss, I leave. I am not playing the same game.

Also, I just found a Whirring Dynamo! It doesn't do anything except take up space in my inventory being rare. Do I need to have both these items simultaneously to get this achievement, and furthermore, do achievements serve any purpose except for some of them unlocking dye colors?

Sell it to an NPC like any other junk like foul hides or daedra husks, you don't need to hold onto them as they're already counted by the achievement on pickup.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
My last day of work for the next seven. Starting tomorrow I will be spending as much time as I can murdering other players. Anyone, please murder other players with me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

sluggo is mad posted:

My last day of work for the next seven. Starting tomorrow I will be spending as much time as I can murdering other players. Anyone, please murder other players with me.

Better to spend that time grinding up new toons while the DoubleXP event is going on.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Scyantific posted:

Obviously, Caster sorc is best for Dunmer, but I used to run a warrior-based sorc back before Tamriel Unlimited came out last year.

For starters, definitely look at 5x Julianos for body armor (Divines trait) + 3x Willpower jewelry (Arcane trait) + 2 Ilambris. If you don't have Ilambris, then run 2 Torug's on Head+Shoulder, and 2 Sharpened Torug's Staves, Lightning and Fire.

Thanks! I don't know what a bunch of these mean, other than traits, but I'll google around and see if I can figure out.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
So I just jumped in without reading pretty much anything, have been going stam on a night blade, should I respec now for magic night blade or is there a good stam night blade build I can follow?

Only lvl 14 so not far in yet.

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016

CuddlyZombie posted:

Thanks! I don't know what a bunch of these mean, other than traits, but I'll google around and see if I can figure out.

They're Set items in ESO. Set items are items that have another effect when worn together. "5x Julianos" means that you want 5 pieces of Julianos equipped on your character and so on.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
So I've been craving a good third-person action-adventure game recently; something where I can explore around and do all sorts of cool stuff, like sneaking into tombs to loot them while having cool, flashy fights in my crafted armor. Basically, I wanted something like Skyrim, but I've already beaten that. So, I figured this might be a good logical progression. This game sounds pretty tempting, especially with the latest update that adds more freedom, and it is on sale. However, at the same time, other games like Dragon's Dogma are on sale, and they fit the bill for me as well. Would this game be able to compete with something like that? I think the main point of contention for me is the feel of combat; as combat is usually 90% of your game time in an rpg, I like it to be very dynamic and skillful. I can't get a good grasp from videos if ESO has a nice skill-based combat to it, or if it's more of a mash-your-abilities into someone's face so they die faster than your health bar can deplete that so many other MMOs turn out to be (and Elder Scrolls games), where the only real skill is to occasionally stand outside of the red and make sure you have a synergistic build with self-healing. I can see that there are blocking, interrupts and dodge mechanics, but I rarely ever see this stuff come into play from the videos I watch and instead they look to be a chaos of pianoing your keyboard to create fireworks while standing still (not necessarily bad, just not what I'm looking for). Sorry if that's a bit obtuse; I guess I'm just looking to see if this is an MMO that competes with the action combat of TERA (without having the bad quest system and anime environment) or Dark Souls or some such.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Scyantific posted:

Better to spend that time grinding up new toons while the DoubleXP event is going on.

I guess I could finally make a stam sorc, or Ennuid's favorite spec "The Stamplar," but all my current toons are 50. Sap tank needs some work, i guess

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

FutureCop posted:

So I've been craving a good third-person action-adventure game recently; something where I can explore around and do all sorts of cool stuff, like sneaking into tombs to loot them while having cool, flashy fights in my crafted armor. Basically, I wanted something like Skyrim, but I've already beaten that. So, I figured this might be a good logical progression. This game sounds pretty tempting, especially with the latest update that adds more freedom, and it is on sale. However, at the same time, other games like Dragon's Dogma are on sale, and they fit the bill for me as well. Would this game be able to compete with something like that? I think the main point of contention for me is the feel of combat; as combat is usually 90% of your game time in an rpg, I like it to be very dynamic and skillful. I can't get a good grasp from videos if ESO has a nice skill-based combat to it, or if it's more of a mash-your-abilities into someone's face so they die faster than your health bar can deplete that so many other MMOs turn out to be (and Elder Scrolls games), where the only real skill is to occasionally stand outside of the red and make sure you have a synergistic build with self-healing. I can see that there are blocking, interrupts and dodge mechanics, but I rarely ever see this stuff come into play from the videos I watch and instead they look to be a chaos of pianoing your keyboard to create fireworks while standing still (not necessarily bad, just not what I'm looking for). Sorry if that's a bit obtuse; I guess I'm just looking to see if this is an MMO that competes with the action combat of TERA (without having the bad quest system and anime environment) or Dark Souls or some such.

Ok so being as honest as possible, you'll find none of this in ESO. The way Firor and Lambert have worded it, they want people to just be able to pick up the game and perform reasonably well without having to learn complex stuff like mechanics and metas.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Ok so being as honest as possible, you'll find none of this in ESO. The way Firor and Lambert have worded it, they want people to just be able to pick up the game and perform reasonably well without having to learn complex stuff like mechanics and metas.
but then they go ahead and have complex stuff like animation canceling, metas, and ridiculously low TTK's that require you to distinguish 1/1000 obnoxiously busy particle effects. Alongside that, they have 3 different ways to break CC depending on the type of CC, but good luck guessing the right one with your 10fps and poo poo flying all over the screen, and there is some sort of input buffer for getting it wrong.
Sorry for going off there, but that is asinine and one of the most incorrect things I have heard about this game.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

FutureCop posted:

ESO's combat is more active than many other MMORPGs, certainly most tab-target games, but Dark Souls it is emphatically not. It's still a hotbar driven MMO with mouselook and basic attacks bound to clicks.

Regarding Dragon's Dogma, you might as well compare World of Warcraft with Devil May Cry, which is to say the games are apples and oranges. If you want something like Dark Souls then you should probably get the game that is actually an action game.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hate to ask this in the thread too, but can anyone in the guild do a werewolf bite?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

eSporks posted:

but then they go ahead and have complex stuff like animation canceling, metas, and ridiculously low TTK's that require you to distinguish 1/1000 obnoxiously busy particle effects. Alongside that, they have 3 different ways to break CC depending on the type of CC, but good luck guessing the right one with your 10fps and poo poo flying all over the screen, and there is some sort of input buffer for getting it wrong.
Sorry for going off there, but that is asinine and one of the most incorrect things I have heard about this game.

What I said came straight out of Lambert's mouth. All that meta poo poo is only relevant if you're into serious PvP and possibly Trials

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hate to ask this in the thread too, but can anyone in the guild do a werewolf bite?

I sure can. If you don't find one, message me in game when I'm on.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
Oh boy ESO is straight up offline (Servers, Website, even their Twitter was inactive until <1 hour ago), apparently because some DDOS shenanigans are going on.

No timetable on a fix either, we might be witnessing a primetime Friday outage.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
There's a massive DDoS attack on Dyn, an east coast DNS provider, that is shutting off access to a number of big-name websites and services (Reddit, Imgur, Twitter, Wikia, Github, etc) for people in the US and/or link to the rest of the world through the US (South America). Nobody knows when it'll stop.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Bustycops posted:

Oh boy ESO is straight up offline (Servers, Website, even their Twitter was inactive until <1 hour ago), apparently because some DDOS shenanigans are going on.

It's not offline at all actually, as Kyte mentioned it's a DNS issue.

I'm logged in currently, adding the line

198.20.198.110 live-services.elderscrollsonline.com

to your windows hosts file is an easy temporary fix while the issues get sorted.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is that one quest in Craglorn the only non-crafter way nirn-whatever trait items are generated?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bustycops posted:

Clearly you weren't around during the outage last year on a Friday night when Dorkshade II was the pledge for the day.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

About how long does it take to powerlevel someone to 50? I've got a 28 DK that I was having fun on but melee combat in this game isn't really my jam. I have a lvl 9 high elf sorc that my buddy started powerleveling me on in Wrothgar and then we both got busy in real life and stopped. I'd like to get to 50 as fast as possible to start working on end-game stuff since my friends who are still playing in real life are already there and then I can go back and do story on my DK or the new character as I have time. Since I'm in the goon guild I wouldn't mind getting in some PvP or dungeon shenanigans either but I think for PvP I'd need to have a EP character still. Is that right?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
From scratch to 50? With the boost event I'd say maybe 12 hours or so. But then you have to go through all the champion stuff that takes longer. Also everything scales you can now do all of it at any level.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Can I get an invite into Ebonheart Goons please? @Necrosaro77

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Same here, for @GrayDorian

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
How do I find my @ name?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's your login.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Thanks for the werewolf bite, Aramark! Took your advice and got werewolf to 10.

By the way ya'll, if you get the bite cross Faction, you have to go to your Factions zone to enter the portal!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
This isn’t really a review, I’m not going to get into how the actual multiplayer stuff works much, just my thoughts on the question that I had and I’ve seen others with:
I’m only really interested in single player and I liked Skyrim, should I get this game?

Yes. Maybe.

First, what did you like about Skyrim/want from another game? If you specifically want a single player game where You Are The Only One Who Matters In The World and You Can Utterly Break The Game via Enchant/Alchemy loop, maybe not. (I’m sure there are guides for power leveling your character and game-breaking builds, but I haven’t really looked into that. I’m just playing it as “wander around and do stuff that looks interesting.”)

If you really liked the feel of the gameplay, maybe not.

However if what you want is “I would like a big open world to explore and pick up quests and maybe do some crafting and stuff” then yes, get the game. Especially since you can get the base game for $12 or so and the Gold (with some of the DLC) for around $30.

Although the gameplay doesn’t feel like Skyrim, some of the ideas are the same: If you want to get better at a specific weapon type, just pick it up and start using it. If you want to get better at blacksmithing or cooking food, just get some ingredients and go to the crafting stuff and start making things. Your skill at it will increase, and then you can spend skill points to improve your abilities/unlock new things. (Think like leveling up a skill and perks in Skyrim.)

So far I’ve been able to do various quests without worrying about being solo. At one point I got a quest to go to a Delve (dungeon), when I got there it was for multiple players, but the game warned me, and it turned out I was able to complete the quest just by finding the place, I didn’t actually need to beat the dungeon solo, or even go into it. (Which is good because I tried and died to the first group of enemies in it.)

(It’s also easy enough to join a group on the fly just for a specific dungeon; I did that last night and was able to get through that same first delve.)

Once you go through the initial tutorial type missions and get into the world, you’re free to do the main quest or ignore it, do stuff with other players or ignore them, craft things or ignore that. If you just want to wander around and explore, you can do that. Or you can do any mix of that stuff. That’s what I wanted from the game, and it delivers on that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can @Ynglaur please get an invite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Thanks for the werewolf bite, Aramark! Took your advice and got werewolf to 10.

By the way ya'll, if you get the bite cross Faction, you have to go to your Factions zone to enter the portal!

I just got someone to give me a werewolf kiss too. It's funny how slow the first two levels of the skill are before you have any way to extend the uptime of the transformation. Protip: leveling up the transformation skill ends your transformation :shepface:

Also, can I get an invite for @timphiz