Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

central dogma posted:

Spouse gaming best gaming.

The problem with trying to tank/dps or dps/heal is that you're really cutting your group damage by specializing with that small of a group.

I'd say try both dps. You can two-dps most content, up to and including normal dungeons, with practice. The trick is to avoid cookie-cutter max dps builds (although you can gear that way) and instead choose skills that give you a nice base of self-healing with an emergency "oh poo poo" button in case things go south. There's only two of you to split the incoming damage, so you'll need all the self-healing you can get.

For example, magicka sorcerer is plenty tough when power surge (major sorcery buff where crits heal you) is combined with empowered ward (cheap spammable 10-15k damage shield). Magicka templar's puncturing sweeps heal based on damage dealt, plus you have access to the usual great templar heals (e.g. breath of life). Note that magicka sorcerer has the best single-target dps (power overload light attacks) and magicka templar has the best single-target execute dps (radiant oppression, although take radiant glory so you don't die). Seems like a great combo once you guys get the hang of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Dwesa posted:

mag/stam balancing

The twitch hivemind keeps repeating this, but it's overblown.

Sure, if you're a dragonknight, the difference is enormous. But if you're comparing the best magicka and stamina builds from all classes, the difference is only about 10-15%. And most of that is because major/minor breach and concentration debuff veteran/trial boss resists to zero, making additional debuffs useless on a magicka build. If you're not running in a group with one guy in alkosh, another in night mother, etc., you're really not going to notice the difference even in endgame content.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

boho posted:

Oh you sweet summer child, no one's talking about PvE balance.

Please stop killing me with your magplar, don't you know about balance?

:goonsay:

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

boho posted:

Yes, Magplar is the one exception to stamina dominance in PvP, but its viability is tenuous at best considering it hinges entirely on an ability that is far past due for a nerf.

Stamina PvP builds are certainly known for their diversity, you've got me there.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
After 2.6.5, normal dungeon trash does more damage than vet trash used to, while vet trash does about what normal trash used to.

Get on my (normal) level. :smug:

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

puberty worked me over posted:

Considering I paid for the game I expect to have full access to the content without investing any time into the game.

Zenimax knows you're a busy gamer, so One Tamriel now ships with a box of stickers!

Place them directly on your monitor, and take control of your game. Achievement locked? Not anymore!

Refill boxes available in the crown store.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Oh, does the option just open up later then?

If you're talking about the certification process, you can certify all of them at either the mages' guild (Danel Telleno) or fighters' guild (Millenith) in Davon's Watch/Daggerfall/Vulkhel Guard. I don't think the quest marker shows up on the other board after you finish one set of certs, so it can be confusing. Just go find the quest giver you haven't talked to yet.

After you certify everything, you can grab all six writs once daily if you so choose.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Man it is super unhelpful that these skills are named differently from the ones I can see. I'm real low level. I don't know how to raise fighter's guild skills. Fight demons? But not the demons I know about. I'm only level 4. I for sure cannot do momentum or dawnbreaker.

Starting out, just slap together whatever crazy crap you want. Magicka, stamina, it doesn't matter, you're too low level to really specialize. Just make sure you slot at least one skill from each class tree so they each level up and you can try new things.

If you want to hit stuff in the face, get a two-hander, level the first two skills to the morph, and pick critical rush and brawler. Crit rush is a great opener at max distance, while brawler will give you a nice damage shield to stay alive. Put heavy attacks (hold down left mouse button) between brawlers to keep your stamina up.

Eventually you'll want to learn animation cancelling and unlock the other skills in Aramek's build, but that's definitely not required for leveling.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

apart from the damage shield that scales well, the gap closer, the empower source, the aoe execute, and immediate full heal, two-hander sucks

Two-hander's main strength is toughness, which is why it's still a good recommendation for people starting out. Once you have a few dozen points in hardy and elemental defender, then sure, dual wield works great. But dual wield's strength is AOE pre-execute. If you're getting better single-target dps on dual wield without maelstrom weapons, you are most certainly doing two-hander incorrectly. (Hint: where is empower in your build?)

The good news is that it's not a choice. You can two-hander/dual wield and get the best of both. Sure, you'd lose poison injection, but steel tornado+reverse slice is a hell of a combo.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Bustycops posted:

Thoughtful two-hander impressions.

First, if you're having fun dual wielding, please continue. It was stated that two-hander is obsolete, and since that wasn't even right enough to be wrong, I responded.

Wrecking blow definitely has the hardest weave of any skill. You want a light weave, with the light attack injected near at the end of the animation (this was much easier to see before the animation changes). Done correctly, the time between wrecking blows is almost the same as spamming them, with no risk of screwing it up like with a heavy.

Of course that's hard to learn, so in the mean time, you can spam wrecking blow with no weave. It's a little less than optimal, but quite a bit better than a heavy weave (it self-empowers). You would want to get ultimate some other way (possibly light weaving a dot roughly every eight seconds).

Also, you should really only be block-cancelling out of wrecking blow for a telegraph (i.e. when you would be blocking anyway). Since you can move while in wrecking blow, you can just walk out of red circles while channeling. The typical red circle is just slightly smaller than wrecking blow's radius, so it won't affect your dps at all if you don't go too far.

Now, I have noticed that veteran dungeons are easier than they were. If low-damage hp sponge trash packs are the deliberate future of the game, then clearing dungeons will be all about aoe dps rather than boss fights or survivability. It's quite possible that dual wield will be the only way to go in future, and that two-hander really will be obsolete. But that day has not yet arrived.

e: Also, if they rewrote wrecking blow's empower to read "increases next attack weapon damage by 1500", I think people would consider it more carefully.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 15, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
PC/Mac 5500 crown pack is on sale for $24 again. Whales, ho!

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

radintorov posted:

Thank you!
Now, for another one: I've got a non-goon friend who is looking for a tanking build that can still deal some damage if needs for her Dragonknight; what would you suggest?

The answer to this is not so much a build, but the Dressing Room add-on (among others) and two sets of gear. As long as you're out of combat, you can switch between tank and dps mode with one button, getting the best of both.

But that's not what you asked for, so here is my DK tank from the previous thread, which still works for me (although if you use chains, get unrelenting grip). If tanking is your main focus, either magicka or stamina work in dps mode. Pick your favorite, then optimize attribute and champion points accordingly.

Here's what my stamina off-dps looks like, which is still pretty tanky:

bar 1 single (2h): rally + expert hunter/flex + wrecking blow + reverse slice + venomous claw (u) flawless dawnbreaker/flex
bar 2 aoe (2h): green dragon blood/resolving vigor/flex + critical rush + expert hunter/inner fire/flex + brawler + noxious breath (u) take flight/standard of might/flex

Note that if you're running with a good crew in a veteran dungeon, you're probably better off tanking the whole dungeon. Not because those dungeons require constant tanking, but rather with choking talons, extended chains, and pierce armor spam, you can keep the trash together and help everyone else do more damage safely. Often, the group does more damage when I'm in tank mode versus dps mode, even though my own FTC is unhappy.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 22, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Norns posted:

a mod to track dots

weekly and daily things

I recommend FTC for buff tracking and dps summary (you can turn off the frames if they are annoying). Also, you can do medium > embers > medium > breath > medium > blockade > medium > whip > medium > whip > medium > whip on repeat. Count three buffs, count three whips, easy peasy. If you start dying, just toss in another embers, there's plenty of wiggle room.

Mount training and research are probably the only things worth worrying about until you're max level. It takes a long time to get your horse up to an acceptable speed, and it takes even longer to get your research up to the six traits per item type you'll need to make the good stuff.

If you want a little more horse speed right off the bat, at level 10 you can go to Cyrodiil and do the intro quest to unlock Rapid Manuever (no PvP required). It's a 30% increase to movement speed, and you can use it from your horse.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm not hip to the latest meta, I just spam jabs at things on my magplar and call it a day. I used to have him as a 2H/bow stamplar a long time ago though. What had changed about 2h that made it bad?

Nothing. Dick-waving builds all use dual wield, because maelstrom weapons are overpowered. But if you don't have maelstrom weapons, the trade is still: two-hander gives you toughness and single-target dps, dual wield gives you AOE. That has not changed.

Beyond that, these "which build is best" discussions often miss the point, since if you're playing well, your dps is more dependent on your group and its buffs/debuffs than any one thing you're doing. There is no such thing as "your" dps. So no single build could ever be "best": your choices should be tailored to how you play the game and who you are playing it with.

As a final word for the newly-minted stamina experts: I've played with you. I know how much dps you do. Stick to giving PvP advice.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 13, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Hello my name is tgidieday and I am addicted to soul assault.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Shhh, don't tell anyone or they won't fix the damage multiplier thing.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Snowy posted:

Wait isn’t magplar the easiest? That’s why I tried it first. Maybe magblade next for fun/easy?

Magplar is easy in the sense that puncturing sweeps will give you automatic self-healing so you can be terrible and still not die.

Magplar is difficult in that you have to put Flooby-esque effort into getting good endgame dps out of it.

If not having pro-tier dps doesn't bother you (it shouldn't), just keep leveling magplar. It's much better to start banking champion points (which are account wide) with one level 50 character, than having eight different lowbies.

e: Also, magplar is great for farming barely literate hate tells.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 1, 2018

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Uh, I'm sorry, but if it's not dual wield and thief/shadow TBS is it really living?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I thought max Champion was like 690. What's the actual maximum then?

You know, I posted that to share my shame at zerging my way onto the leaderboard of the populated AvA campaign despite having neither AvA gear nor skill, but you found an entirely separate thing I should be ashamed of.

In the olden days, your displayed champ rank was how many points you had spent, so 100 points per thing added up to a maximum of 3600. Now your champion level is points accumulated, so I'm not sure if that still applies. Given the linear ramp in XP required (mine have cost about a million for the last year or so), no one but the early Cracked Wood Cave grinders will ever get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

count_von_count posted:

Is TBS still viable then? I remember thinking it sounded awesome, but when I finally got 9 traits researched it seemed to have fallen out of favor. What do you pair it with?

There is a gap between "viable" and "best in slot" whose size depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to top the vet leaderboards, then only full optimization is viable. For literally anything else, gear up however you want: gear is meaningless.

A typical 2-4pc roll (mag/crit/dam) is +2% dps, while a typical 5pc roll (Julianos) is +5% dps. As long as you gear up in a reasonable manner (undaunted passives, set bonuses are cool and not like soul gems or something), you'll only be a few percent from optimal. To put that in perspective, if you're doing a bad job at your rotation, you'll easily lose 30% of your dps. If your group isn't running all the buffs (major/minor breach, slayer, horn, off balance, fire breath, etc.), you'll easily lose another 30%. Gear is lost in the noise of those factors.

Now TBS specifically is niche. If you're in a magicka build where you can run dual wield for the extra gear slot, then it's not too bad when paired with Mother's Sorrow (maybe 2% less dps than Julianos after the mundus nerfs). But you get extra health, stamina, and more consistent healing (70% crit gives less variance than 50% crit). I play sloppy and hate dying, so that trade is fine for my magplar. But otherwise it's a disappointment, since Julianos is so much easier to craft.