Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

My friend talked me into playing, and I want to talk them into joining the goon guild. If I could get in as @Val99 that would be great and thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Overemotional Robot posted:

^^^sent the invite

thanks!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I've definitely been that healer before, the scapegoat for poo poo that is totally out of my control.

Seems like it happens more in other games though, ESO random teams seem to be either be fairly polite, or by far most often no one says anything beyond maybe a "hi" and "tyfg" if anything at all.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Worth mentioning, even without a sub, you can get the Imperial City DLC for free right now just for logging in and saying "yeah I want this" from the in game crown store.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

After reading what was posted above:

I haven't played much at all in a while, and even getting to a pretty high CP level (like 600 or something) I never really considered myself "good" at ESO. Like decent but not great, I mostly just healed dungeons and did a good enough job at it so that my likely mediocre damage always just felt like me giving a little extra on top of keeping everyone alive.

With that said I never really perfected weaving (though I get the concept and could at least half-rear end it), and basically used heavy attacks if I needed more resources, or threw a couple light attacks out if I didn't have the time for a heavy or between using abilities.

With that mindset, what the hell is the point of heavy attacks now if you are mostly just using abilities and using regular attacks as a filler or to replenish resources if light attacks do both things?

Again, mostly from a healing perspective, but I guess DPS as well.

E: I'm not trying to come across as some sort of garbage player that the pros are mad about the changes catering towards, just honestly asking.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 24, 2020

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Galewolf posted:

Saw this as play for free until tomorrow so decided to give it a go. I want to play Templar but I was wondering if it was possible to have a two hander/healer kinda Nord which sounds like the most underachiever combination after checking out the guidelines.

I guess it depends on what you consider a two hander. By default a healing templar is going to go majicka and use a heal staff on one bar and a destruction staff on the other, with mostly heal abilities on the one bar and mostly damage on the other, but preferably a little of everything on both so your skills level up. Staves in ESO shoot lightning/fire/etc depending on what type they are, so if you are talking about running around with say a 2 handed sword and healing, well, I guess you could do that but I don't think it would really be considered viable, or certainly at least not optimal. Many of the best heals are under the healing staff tree.

Now if you are looking to do like a damage templar, who also happens to have some good heals to keep yourself alive or help your friends in clutch situations, yeah, that's totally doable.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Manxome Foe posted:

I really want to get into this game, but for some reason I just . . . can't. I'm somewhat enjoying playing with my "Thor" character (heavy armor stamsorc with 2h/1h + shield), running around throwing lightning and smashing things. Then I start doing crafting, looking at all my skill lines, seeing how much there is to do and then my eyes kind of glaze over and I close the game.

I really want to play an MMO right now and I like that the character system is pretty freeform, I'm just not quite sure what about this game isn't grabbing me.

I won't try to sell you on the game at all. I have played almost exactly the opposite of everyone as far as I can tell. I have never played a previous Elder Scrolls game. I never subscribed, have no idea what the draw of crafting is because it sounds like a pain in the rear end to do "daily writs" or whatever and still have way more gold then I know what to do with. I couldn't give a summary of the lore or story if my life depended on it. Sometimes I listen to an npc or read some text if it happens to catch my fancy, but often just breeze on through.

Mostly I just followed a friend of mine around, had some drinks, healed dungeons, and still managed to get to CP level 600something and had a good time doing it! What I am saying is that as long as you don't shoot yourself in the foot one way or another, I don't think there is really a "right way" to play the game.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Launcher wants me to download the entire game AGAIN? Is this a new so-called performance update? :wtf:

SplitSoul posted:

I'm aware, I just phrased it poorly. Is this another performance update or did their patcher gently caress up spectacularly?

Looks like I had to have something like a 5000 MB "update" that while is occasionally willing to download at a normal rate mostly wants to sit around the 2MBPS rate, which at that blazing speed was too much for my computer to do things like "load a web page reliably". After a couple of hours it ramped up and just decided it was done and I believe nothing it was telling me, other then the launcher/loader is crap and there has to be a better way, but this isn't news.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

I’ve actually never encountered this happening. I started the Elsweyr stuff without having done the base game content and everyone introduced themselves because we were meeting for the first time. I had to be told Abnur Tharn was from the base game. He def didn’t act like we knew each other.

I remember NPC's not being on the same page as your character happening to me in a game breaking way. They hopefully fixed this but I remember talking to Abnur Tharn when Elsweyr came out and I couldn't continue my main questline because I was on the "wrong" Abnur Tharn quest. There was nothing to tell you how to fix it and I just stalled out for days until I figured it out.

Scyantific posted:

If there wasn't a huge gently caress-off update coming tomorrow I would have re-installed and dumped whatever motifs I still have in the guild bank.

The poor brand new players in this thread that think "oh hey cool a patch" and an hour later it's at like 7% downloaded with no signs of speeding up any time soon because it wants to redownload like half the game.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

LogRoller posted:

For people looking for a guild, I run one called The Alliance Pub with a buddy. We are pretty active on Discord, and even made a recruitment video for the contest. It's silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBA2JrrH74&t=4s

Discord invite is https://www.discord.gg/tap

We take casuals to endgamers, and run regular events pretty much daily. I run some PvP raids, mostly for grinding transmutes but we also do some more challenging group raids. I'm @furiouslog in game if you want to look me up. Just mention that you're a goon - we do public and WOM recruits anyway so it's not a big deal but I'd love to know.

lol your video got a few chuckles out of me, nice

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

fappenmeister posted:

I am the person that plays for 20 hours once a year, forgets everything, and stares at 7 level 20+ characters at the login screen.

I am the person that logs in every day to a somewhat high CP level character while I am doing something else for the dumb reward system just in case I might start playing again sometime then immediately logs out.

Having all the skills, talents, and buttons reset and having to figure all that out makes it increasingly unlikely unless my friend that convinced me to start playing gets back in to it again for more then just a couple of days.

I probably would have fun but I just sort of feel like meh :effort: like most online games I haven't played in a while where you are supposed to have a grasp on what you are doing but have forgotten and then feel behind.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The only things that are a) game altering b) not DLC and c) not earnable in game are:
+the two inventory pets: Bristleneck War Boar and Mournhold Packrat
They each give an extra 5 inventory slots to all your characters. If you only play one or two characters, not very worthwhile. If you have all your character slots full with alts holding inventory, they're worthwhile
+Digital Imperial Edition Upgrade
Lets you make an imperial, plus gives white horse mount
+Banker and Merchant assistants: They're nice but 5000 crowns is steep. Banker is a nice convenience, more without ESO+. The Merchant can maybe earn you a few gold if you have full inventory and have to leave something behind. You'll make more gold trading the crowns for gold than you'll ever make from the merchant. Plus with the banker you can shove stuff in there. I guess if you're really bad about clearing your inventory and the psychological hit of "oh no I have to leave this 50-150 gold weapon because I don't have the merchant" outweighs the 3 million gold those 5000 crowns are currently worth it has a purpose. Or you just really like having a crow friend.
+Necro and Warden classes, if you don't have them and don't plan on buying a chapter at some point, these are worthwhile, but only in a "crowns are a sunk cost" sense. If you had no crowns you'd be better off buying a key for Elseweyr or Greymoor and getting the classes plus the expansions for less than the $15 equivalent.
+Character slots if you want more characters

Rest of the Crown store is:
various DLC: you have these on ESO+
Crown crates: gambling for trash and cosmetics
Upgrades: the stuff above, plus Collectors packs (themed cosmetics), bag and bank upgrades (buyable for gold in game) riding lessons (time gated earnable in game) Name/Race/Alliance/Appearance change (can't be done in game, but gently caress those prices, probably best either living with it or rolling a new character) Skill lines vamp/werewolf/skyshards (all earnable in game)
Utility: Trash scrolls/potions/etc all earnable/buyable in game much cheaper than those prices.
Houses: Staple/Classic are earnable in game, Notable some are earnable some are crown exclusive.
Furniture: All housing stuff, the storage chests can be earned/bought in game, everything else is cosmetic (some of the furnishings are also earnable in game, don't know if all).
Style parlor: cosmetics (hair, adornments, tattoos) for your appearance. None earnable in game.
Crafting: The cosmetic styles are crown exclusive, the motifs can be earned in game. Outfit slots are per character, outfit tokens are consumed, neither is worth the couple grand gold they save you unless you're changing styles really really often.
Wardrobe: Costumes and hats, not earnable in game.
Mounts and pets: just more mounts and pets, some are cute/pretty/cool, none have in game impact except the inventory pets noted above.

If you're considering personal cosmetics, costumes and hair/adornment/tattoos can be changed at no fee once you buy them. Styles, however, have small gold fee in game when you change them 100-1000 gold per piece, depending on the piece.

good post!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I haven't done more then log in for daily rewards for more then a year, possibly two, but when I played up to CP 600-something, I would just vendor stuff that other people probably could use and I would be glad to sell to them because the trade market is such a pain in the rear end to use. I would rather dump it off in a world auction house and have someone get something useful for the same price as vendoring it. But I guess that can't be the case, because apparently from what I am reading now the trade market game is the meta game these days.

It would be nice to think that if the market were more accessible and didn't require running all over the world and relying on third party sites to understand not only what something is worth but how to buy or sell it, things would work out. However if so many people have so much gold that the economy can never recover, everyone (players and developers included) just throw their hands in the air and say "welp, that's how it is! " I guess that's it.

Just because it is a bad system that got out of hand doesn't mean it is the right system.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I haven't played much in quite a while, but the word in the thread is that you might find some people to chat with in the goon guild maybe, at some hours. Basically no end game there though. The game itself seems to have moved to a mostly a solo theme from what I hear, but there's a ton of content there. You can join up to 5 guilds at once though, so there's probably some guild out there partying it up and doing things so if that's the case you could do both, but the goon guild is pretty much just a low-key chat channel.

e: speaking for the NA server, can't say for PS or EU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

g0del posted:

The best part is after waiting 40 minutes, you get queued with three other DPS players, two of whom just picked 'tank' or 'healer' to skip the line.

I haven't played in a while since before this zerg rush to the finish of dungeons was a thing, but my main is a healer and I have a good dps alt. With this current trend does it mean "don't even heal or you will pull heal agro because everyone is just running through things even if they are almost dead because they are idiots?" I've been down that road in other games before. It's not fun. Not asking you specifically, anyone in general.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Try to tame your FOMO, because aside from logging in and hitting that daily reward collection, there's nothing you can't do or get later.

This is all I have done in like a couple of years I think, and still manage to get most all of the way through each month. I haven't even put talents in since they reset them however many expansions ago that was. I guess I do it just because I figure I will start playing again someday and it's that much more gold/food/potions/giveaways/etc I will have waiting for me. I usually just go do some couple minute task around the house I was going to do anyways while it loads since loading time for ESO is pretty slow on my computer. However...

PatentPending posted:

On the one hand, I really need to do better planning my trait research and daily crafting writs. On the other hand, I've never actually felt the need to craft anything.

I've never subbed, so never had the crafting bag, and I figure I would miss it if I got it but won't if I never do. Ignoring crafting entirely I don't really have any big inventory problems, other than the piles of crap that has built up from logging in most every day and logging out for so long and using none of it. Sorting all that out will probably be a pain if/when I start playing in earnest again.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Orv posted:

The thought of your inventory after year(s) of doing that makes me shudder.

It's contained to one of my three characters, which happens to be what I would consider my "main", which might be the bigger mistake. It's mostly just a bunch of stacks of the tri-restoration(?) potions, stacks of the fortifying meals that look like a roast chicken or whatever, and a bunch of XP scrolls.

Most of the rest of the stuff is currency that just disappears into its respective location (like those pvp points and stone things I have never used and don't know what they are even for), or the giveaways that get uploaded into whatever collection they belong to instantly, and probably forgotten about at least for now, so it's probably not as big of a mess as it sounds, just a lot of volume.

Oh, and I think there's some instant research stuff that I used to just delete because I don't bother with crafting and selling stuff to other people in ESO is a pain, I'm sure that will make someone's brain hurt, I think they are slowly piling up now too. I'm sure there's some other miscellaneous stuff, like the occasional armor set or whatever, but that's the majority of it.

It's a lot of stacks though, lol.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The transmute/reconstruct system makes research important even if you don't want to craft otherwise.

For what, exactly? I think I mostly have "good enough" gear, maybe not optimal, but a couple of monster set items and a couple other decent respectable sets on each of the characters I would likely play again if I started back up. Not being a jerk here, honest question, you always seem to know your stuff in this thread!

Doctor Zero posted:

If I were you I’d sub for a month, let all the crafting mats get sucked into your component bag and then cancel. You will probably spend more than $15 of your time organizing if not.

Oh and even if you ditch crafting mats, keep the gold poo poo. They sell nicely for decent $

Yeah like I said before above, I know I would appreciate it and then want to keep it, and not being able to put stuff in it while un-subbed would probably bother me more than just not having it. Sort of like the "first hit is free" thing with the crafting bag, that's how they get ya, and I'm pretty poor IRL right now. It doesn't really bother me, not missing what you never had and all, especially since I haven't really "played" in quite a while. It's all just taking up data on a server somewhere right now, which doesn't bother me for now.

I really dislike managing and using addons and mods typically, and I know there are some to help with selling stuff, but a universal auction house would go a long way for selling stuff for me. As it stands the few million or so gold I have is more than enough for repairs and stuff, and I don't have anything in mind to buy specifically, so gold hasn't been a big problem for me either in the past. The numbers always seem to slowly go up, so at bare minimum I guess that's good enough. I probably straight up vendor more stuff than I should if I were really concerned when I was active, but I suppose I just had an "I'm fine who cares" attitude since I mostly started playing for a couple years to play with a friend, who doesn't really play anymore afaik.

Maybe I'll dump some of that stuff in the guild bank if that's possible if I remember sometime in the future and actually bother with more than "log in, click the reward, log out" which is all I have done in a long time.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Traits. Any found gear gets bound to your stickerbook and you can reconstruct with transmutes, but only with traits you have researched. I guess it's not a huge deal since the first research is 6 hours and the second is 12, and the third is 24, so if you just make sure to research divines for body and infused/charged for weapons you're good for 95%+ of cases. If you're happy with your gear it's probably still fine even if not optimal, but if you do decide to come back you may appreciate those scrolls. They stack too, so not much point in deleting them.

Cool, thanks, hopefully I will remember if I get around to it sometime!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I just picked this up from the steam sale.

1) Is there an auction house or something I should be selling stuff on? I hit my inventory limit of 60 pretty quickly, and I just found a merchant to unload stuff. I take it the newb equipment is wanted by nobody, since everyone outgrows it in 5 seconds.

2) Is there a party system or the like? Thus far I'm playing the story quests detailed here
it fells like I just run around top speed solo and everything changes super fast. So far my strategy of looking at things and pressing the attack button has clowned everything. When/does group content occur? Is it good?

3) Should I be doing the side quests that pop up? I did them on newbie island, and they were all kind boring. Do they have effects later on or am I just going to outlevel them anyway. Any good content I'm missing by skipping them?

I haven't played regularly in a couple of years or so but I still log in most days for the daily rewards for when I inevitably start playing again, so if my info is outdated or somehow wrong someone else can feel free to correct me, but I think my answers should be mostly correct at least on a basic level. Sorry, this ended up being a bit long, but I wanted to answer what you asked at least relatively well.

1a) There is no linked auction house, and in my opinion, the system they have is garbage. Guilds can rent spots out at all sorts of locations all over the world to have individual merchants that sell items, as mini one-off auction houses. So if you want to buy a specific thing, you might have to travel halfway across the continent. Likewise, if you want to sell something, you have to be in a guild that has a vendor, and hopefully it's in a good location. You can be in like 5 or so guilds at once, though. There used to be "trading guilds" that exist primarily for this purpose, and some would charge a fee for the privilege, and some free ones but they probably have worse trader locations. That last part may or may not still be the case. Personally, I just vendor most everything, which admittedly isn't optimal, but I just don't care enough to screw with their crappy system to maximize my pretend dollars, and I've never been "rich and extravagant" but never broke enough to seriously worry about anything either in the game.

1b) There are "bag vendors" in the major cities that let you upgrade your inventory space at the cost of gold, exponentially increasing in price the more inventory size you acquire (I think it still works this way). Someone is inevitably going to come in here and recommend getting the monthly subscription which gives you the "crafting bag" that gives you, I don't know, nearly unlimited bag space or something. I've never had a sub, so I personally don't miss it because I never had it. However, I also don't do any crafting, and as I said above, I indiscriminately vendor most everything, so there's less stuff filling up my bags. Bare minimum, go to the bag vendor and upgrade your inventory slots to whatever you feel comfortable with gold wise. Probably start doing mount training while you're at it if you're in a major city near a bag vendor, if it's like it used to be that's a daily thing that takes a while day by day.

2a) The main reason to join a party is either to play with a friend, or to do the dungeons, delves, world bosses, etc. When I played regularly, I enjoyed healing dungeons, but I think people just blitz through stuff now? I've read about people complaining about that, but I'm probably out of date there. But yes, for dungeons, there's a group finder where you can queue as tank/dps/heals if you want, and the easier world dungeons and delves you can just run in and either solo if possible or join up with someone or just follow another player around. You can start doing all that stuff at super low levels.

2b/3) You can do any storyline quests in whatever order you want, skip whatever you want, and it doesn't really matter. Doing the "main story quest line" is probably still pretty important to do, I think it still gives you skill points which is quite helpful. Missing out on those skill points is the big reason to make the main questline the one "mandatory" quest, but even then, I guess you could just... not, if you really wanted. Otherwise, it's all super open ended, you can do what you like, skip what you don't, do side quests if you feel like it, ignore them if you don't. Depending on how you go about things, there will be continuity errors, but that is unavoidable in ESO even if you try to 100% everything and follow some flow chart like you posted (that honestly I'm not even going to try to wade through despite typing all this out). If you're like me, you probably want to "do it right" but the developers didn't make that easy, it's just how it's designed. In the end, there's nothing wrong with running around clicking on things, hitting your favorite couple of attacks, and going to do something else whenever you feel like it. There's also nothing wrong with spending all the time you want in a zone you like. I think everything still scales with level while still remaining pretty drat easy by gaming standards. Either way there's so much to do it would probably take years of hard dedication and an insane amount of free time to do a fraction of what's out there, so you might as well enjoy whatever it is you are doing. Typing that last line out, that's probably good advice for the game and also for life.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You gain inspiration from deconstruction. The trick is to just deconstruct yourself past those intermediate levels.

Sounds like slang for android suicide, I know video game crafting can be a pain in the rear end, but that seems like a pretty drastic response! lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Looks like the daily rewards for this month (January 2024, wow!) is a special mount and a ton of mount upgrades (the ones you typically slowly grind out once a day if it still works the same way). Like, the vast majority of days. It's a bit unusual, but certainly intended as a lure to bring people back in or keep going (I mean the daily rewards all are, but especially obvious here).

I haven't played in a long time but it's almost tempting to make an alt to power level up those mount skills if/when I start up again and just let them sit for now, which is what I would recommend anyone do who is currently playing or considering coming back, if it's still as much of a slog as it used to be.

Or don't, whatever, I might not even myself, just a friendly heads up :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

g0del posted:

It's still a 180 day slot for new chars, and the daily rewards are just weird. Half the days this month give you riding upgrade rewards, but all together they only knock 25 days off (11 speed, 7 capacity and stamina). You're still grinding for 5 months to finish the mount upgrades on your new char.

And of course they're useless for anyone who doesn't have a new char to grind up.

Personally, as someone who's done the whole multi-month mount upgrade grind on entirely too many chars, I think they should drop the whole thing for new players.

I agree with ya, but, I suppose I was looking at it from a slightly different perspective.

When my friend talked me into playing ESO with them years ago, they told me "if you are going to make an alt, make it now even if you don't play it, the riding training takes forever!" They weren't wrong.

It's hard to decide what class you would like to play from the get-go when you don't know much, then what other class you might want to play later and what other other class you might want to play eventually when you are logging in at day one, but after a little while I understood what they meant, and rolled an alt just to sit there and train mounts every day for when I might decide to play them.

I guess that was what I was getting at, just a PSA as a "this is a good time to put an alt character in your back pocket for later".

But yeah the mount training system is way too long and dumb, you are correct.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I only had one taker in this thread for free holiday goodies

I saw it and appreciated the offer but I'm not really active so I didn't take you up on it for it going to waste but thank you!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I have been doing the daily mount grind for the first time in a long while, and I agree it's a pain in the rear end. I think the only reason it's still there is because they sell those instant training things for cash. They probably make good money selling those, and if they reduced that grind in any way it would piss off all the people who paid real money for it. Thankfully I had a good-sized stash of instant mount training things in the bank from when they dropped from daily rewards long after I had trained up all my other guys. (If all your guys are trained up already, just bank those things, you won't regret it later!)

That makes sense, and if anything your final suggestion is good advice, I didn't know you could just bank the books, I probably deleted a bunch of them over the years, oops lol.

I did make a nightblade that I may play sometime in the future and have no idea what I would do with, but, it seemed like a good enough time to pick up all that stuff from the monthly giveaways.

Who knows, I don't even have the last couple of expansions and don't have the cash to pick them up, so that's probably holding me back more than anything.