Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Current meta for an endgame dps:

1 trial set (can be farmed on normal, but its still yknow...a 12 man trial) the specific set can vary but what they all have in common is a buff on the 3/5 piece called minor slayer, which is always on and gives you 5% more of all your damage vs dungeon,trial, and arena monsters.

(Spoiler: oakensoul also gives you this buff)

1 proc set: procs are basically free damage, the most recommended right now is pillar of nirn, which comes from the falkreath hold dungeon. This can be farmed on normal, and the final boss guarantees you a set piece you don't have collected. The downside is there are 2 other sets in this dungeon, its not unheard of to max out literally everything before you get the pieces you need. But if you spend the time, you will get it.

1 mythic: this varies between class, or even specific fight. Harpooner's kilt, sea serpent chain, oakensoul, velothi amulet are the ones you see most often.

1 monster piece usually shoulder, sometimes head, it doesn't really matter 99% of the time as long as you have the right weights for armor passives.

The reigning champ for a 1 piece monster is Slimecraw (vet wayrest 1, probably one of the easier vet dungeons, I've duo-ed this helping a guildy get it and I am an average player at best lol)

Slimecraw gives you a big buff to crit chance, which is important for pve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pontificating rear end posted:

All your info made it easy to actually make a build. Here's what I got, nothing fancy, but running Shipwright's Regret for the dagger was easy enough. It does well enough at PvP, but mostly for clearing mobs of course

Nice!

One thing I will note is that procs cannot proc other procs. So when choosing sets make sure you have skills, enchants, etc that will set your stuff off.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pontificating rear end posted:

Alright, this is probably the last bit of info I needed, I didnt even think about it. I'm gonna switch out the storm-cursed back to the combat physician set I was using for now; since it synergized with Refreshing Path

Other sets that can work well on a nightblade:

Briarheart (wrothgar overland) increases your damage and heals you on a crit.

Robes of the hist (shadowfen overland) when hit by an immobilization, you heal. (Popular in pvp)

Hexos ward (deadlands overland) gives you a damage shield when you crit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Simone Poodoin posted:

Briarheart + Hexos Ward loving owns

I'm using Briarheart + Swamp Raider now though and the poison is cool but I might be ready to try something else.

If you're good for self heals or run pale order, you might also look at Witch Knight's Defiance from the Reach to combo with swamp raider.

E: sorry, theorycrafting and weird/thematic builds are one of my favorite things in eso.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 27, 2023

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Simone Poodoin posted:

At the alchemy station you can set a potion/poison base ingredient and then add two ingredients, if it says "inert potion" it wont do anything but if it says "unknown potion" and you craft it you will learn the reacting effects of those two ingredients.

I'm a console pleb and thats how I do it.

If you wanna get 0pTiMuL and learn all the traits in as little time as possible, this guide gives you a shopping list and an order to make a bunch of poo poo so you can learn them all:

https://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/eso-alchemy-trait-research-curriculum/

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

floppyspud posted:

So its just character levels and champion points?

And skills on your bars.

Like fighters guild the skill line only raises from killing poo poo.

But each skill in the line can be put on your bar and levelled like any other skill once you unlock them by raising the skill line.

Mages guild, undaunted, psijic order, assault, and support all work the same way, different requirements for each skill line ofc.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sets that come from overland are tradeable thus sellable, and body pieces don't tend to be too expensive. Have you looked in guild traders?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PatentPending posted:

I’m on the US West Coast but play on the EU server, and one of these days I’m going to spend a few weeks logging on in the evening and running around Wrothgar opening chests and smacking bosses until I have a billion briarheart pieces. It seems the most commonly useful armor of all.

Add in some pvp grinding to buy random loot coffers and you can sell deadly strikes pieces too. Its bis on 2/7 classes and just generally really useful.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Flexes-like-sithis is just a good upright citizen, yessir, not a shadowscale even a little bit!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Simone Poodoin posted:

you can also buy lower level mats for cheap from guild traders

I find that this works best for only the absolute level 1 or absolute highest lvl mats.

Everyone shoots through the mid levels so fast that those mats are legit rare and often get priced that way.

When I level crafting on alts I just leave their skills at level 1 until I have enough skillpoints to just max the fucker in one go. Often they'll be at 50 in the skill awhile before I max it out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Also, what Arcanist builds are people enjoying lately? I can't make my mind up on the class.

My arc is my current main. I'm loving it. I do a 1 bar mag build for solo/overland thats been perfectly fine up to the easier vet dungeons and trials. I probably spend 90% of my time using this build.

64 mag
Thief mundus in group and overland, lover in solo arenas and pvp
Sugar skulls food.

5x pillar of nirn, 5x deadly, 1 light slimecraw shoulder, 1x oakensoul.

Divines body, bloodthirsty jewels, precise staff in group, sharpened when solo.

mag enchants, mag dmg enchants, berzerker enchant on the lightning staff. Yadda yadda

Bar is:
inspired scholarship
arcanist domain for dungeons/trials, evolving runemend for solo and overland
pragmatic fatecarver (beam goes brrr)
cephaliarch flail
rune of displacement (can flex whatever you need in here depending on situation, crushing shock, elemental sus, vigor, trap, etc.)

I also have a sweaty 2 bar setup for harder vets/progging hardmodes. Look up skinny cheeks, basically.

I have a tank setup that's been pretty good, but I'm not a good enough tank yet to do more than vet dungeon clears for friends and guildies.

I haven't done healer yet, but I don't play healer much so it hasn't been a priority. One of the healers in my core team loves it though and says she prefers it over her templar.

Pvp has been...ok, but kinda lackluster. Beam is a noob trap unless you have a very coordinated team to help you set up your shots (in bgs or solo, its stupid easy to avoid, and leaves the caster very vulnerable) but I'm still workshopping ideas to find my personal sweetspot build. YMMV.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

jabro posted:

It doesn’t begin until tomorrow, I believe.

Tomorrow 10 am est (at least on xbox na)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Universe brain: all of eso is canon, but the 37th lesson is double canon.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Alucard posted:

Multiverse Brain: CHIM - all of it is canon and not, and you're writing it as you play.

Ok, you win.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

blatman posted:

if i'm not doing minmax endgame stuff, can I get by as a healer build with The Bear or will the pug community tear me a new orifice for trying?

A magic based warden can go from endgame-quality healer to more than enough damage to do any questing content by just swapping a few skills and the gear you're wearing. Hella easy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Comrade Koba posted:

I've been hearing that the Arcanist class plays a bit differently than the others, which sounds appealing. Could anyone elaborate on this?

I love the Arcanist and it's been my main since Necrom dropped.

The Arcanist feels different but isn't really all that different from other classes. It's definitely less complicated, but not necessarily easier.

Look at a templar. You place dots, cast buffs and spam jabs, with a light attack in between every skill. The spear jabs are your heaviest hitting ability, class and set bonuses all focused on making your jabs hit as hard as possible. Then in execute you use your beam.

Nightblade, you place dots, you cast your buffs, you watch timers because they're all different and need to be babysat, and use your spammable. At 5 light attacks your resolve proc is ready and you cast it, it's your heaviest hitting ability, class and set bonuses work to make it hit as hard as possible. Then in execute you use your killer's blade.

Necro, you place dots, cast buffs, try and keep count of how many skills you've cast so you can fire off a blastbones every 3 casts of other skills (it gets stronger after a delay, casting too often is a dps loss). Blastbones doesn't fire, or it bugs out, maybe it works (praise akatosh!) In execute you either just keep doing your rotation or use a weapon execute skill like whirling blades or executioner, because necros don't have a class execute skill.

So, Arcanist.
You place your dots and buffs, you have a charge mechanic called crux, represented by green triangles that float around your dude. Some of your abilities give you crux, others spend built up crux for stronger damage or extra effects. Your spammable is called cephaliarchs flail, it heals you, gives you crux, does a unique debuff that gives +5% dmg to whatever you hit with it and also does a bit more damage in execute.

It's like templar jabs in that your rotation is built around using it. A lot. It's like nightblade resolve because you use it to charge up a big attack which is...

Fatecarver, the mean green beam. A 4 second channel, that ticks damage 3x per second, and uses your crux to increase said damage by 33% for each crux you use (max of 3 crux) it's visually similar to templar beam, damage is high like nightblade resolve proc and has a small aoe like a necro blastbones. Beam goes brrrr.

You still have to keep dots up, watch your buff timers etc. But the Build-up-to-Boom pipeline is very streamlined. You have a buff skill that gives you 1 crux for free, so you just flail, flail, then beam, repeat. That's it. Some people find it boring, I find the simplicity is nice so I can pay more attention to following mechanics.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Offkorn posted:

I like going Flail, Escalating Runeblades, then beam.

Valid, and when I'm solo I often use evolving runemend the same way (small heal over time + crux also useful if mechs keep you out of melee range for flail because runemend generates the crux)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 3, 2024

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

dialhforhero posted:

Been thinking about getting back into this, but is there a good online presence with you all? Solo play only takes me so far...

Xbox NA is reasonably busy. There's pretty much always people on doing stuff. Whether they're doing stuff you want to do is a question though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kyro posted:

Are there any active goon guilds to join on Xbox NA server?

Not to my knowledge. But I'm in a halfway decent pub guild that is fairly active. I can get you in if you'd like?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kyro posted:

Yes please. I’m Kyro4458 ig

I’ve played ESO off and on since Morrowind, but the only guild action I’ve ever done much of was cyrodiil
I’d like to do some trials if your guild does those

Coolness.

I'll shoot you a friend request when I get home in the morning

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Even without the pies, sometime my friends and I just go gently caress around and play "hide and seek" in some rando corner of cyrodiil. Like hackdirt or whatever.

Whoever gets killed first is It next round. It's stupid fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tambaloneus posted:

Well I'm doing pretty much every quest I come across, I guess it's just weird MMO jank. I play GW2 as well so I'm used to "stuff we really should get around to fixing but in ten years ain't fixed and likely ain't gonna".

Well then, yeah there's your explanation. It's jank and you haven't messed up or missed anything.