Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
This seems like the perfect time to get back into this. Still loving with addons and trying to figure out what I was actually doing. One thing I noticed though is that I'm about to hit 30 and my gear is still level 16, two blue sets that were crafted by a kind goon back in the day. Who can I bug about getting some new gear made? Or get the last pieces I need to research. Also did Stamplar builds change in the time I didn't play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I'm not saying it needs to be blue again or even enchanted or anything but if someone who has everything researched takes maybe five minutes to craft me set stuff instead of me crafting some non set or low set poo poo myself it's a huge increase in power and no I'm not counting on it happening and it won't kill me if I don't get it but last time I asked about gear that was given to me and if at all possible I would at least like to keep the set bonus going even if I only get new weapons to replace my old ones, the rest of the gear is perfectly fine.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You just see lots of high level players camping low level dolmen and delves. I have no problem with high levels in those zones questing or whatever but honestly if end game is camping the same spawn for hours and hours straight that's just hosed up. On the plus side it gives me the option to go where the gently caress I want to quest and a couple of nice things along the way. Most of those things are stuff I have no use for but here we are, since I have the craft bag I can probably stash some of it away in case I ever want to play an alt or just give it to someone else.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah I still have no idea who drops what and why and that goes for all drops, especially zone drops. Isn't there a handy spread sheet some super sperg made that can help me?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
drat I'm blind. Gotta say though the sound of the dark anchors will haunt my dreams and not being able to just casually solo world bosses as I quest past them is not good for my OCD.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

How does this one tamriel update compare to the way guild wars 2 does things?

This game is still good, they chose not to turn it into complete garbage.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

valuum posted:

I had a look at the official forums:
[poorly written OP, complaining about normal difficulty
[picture proof of trash mobs in normal doing 150% of the damage of trash in vet]
[300 examples of various extremely poorly written, smugfaced, needtodie (TGIdieday!) l2p posts]

Please shoot me, I have lost the will to live..

That's what happens when you read the official forums.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I feel it's important to buy the horse that's on loving fire. You see it's like a regular horse but also on fire.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Rollersnake posted:

This is the only Elder Scrolls game I've ever been able to get into for some reason, and holy poo poo! Being a thief is really fun, you guys!

That's a hate word. I prefer wealth redistribution technician.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You can always grind Dolmen for a bit, I got two levels yesterday. I just also wanted to kill myself after an hour but that's to be expected.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
How hosed am I if I want to hit people with big swords though? I mean I've been looking around and it's all dual wield and bow but I still like my Greatsword and want to keep using one until I eventually go tank.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Right now you get double xp which means I went out questing for a few hours and skipped two crafting tiers and now I'm scrambling to pick up enough sky shards to catch up again. I asked for some help though and was given a few max level items with bonus deconstruction xp and those brought my level up fast even though they didn't give me items which was alright though. You can also buy them at many guild traders for relatively cheap if you just need a boost.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You have access to any of the starting way shrines right away. The quest lines still exist and you can follow them or go where the gently caress ever and do what the gently caress ever. Rush one of the guild quest lines? Yeah it's a bit of a trek but go for it. Main Quest? Sure, it's right there. I've been getting surveys and treasure maps for formerly high level enemy zones so clearing those out was super fun since all I had there was the starting zone shrine and I had to ride a lot.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Money comes from stealing everything that isn't nailed down this is an Elder Scrolls game. Crafting materials you keep to make your gear out of.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I forgot to mention in my tale of Adventures In Idiot Newbie Crafting, the reward I got for making the cooked chicken included 10 poultry, at which point I decided the game was just messing with me. Also in case anybody else is starting out, I didn't get permanently locked out of getting all the crafting certificates, the choice turned out to just be "Which 3 do you want first," I was able to then go back and get the other 3 as well.

Since other people also seem to be wondering about if the game's worth picking up, later this week I'll try to write up my thoughts based on starting out with no idea what I'm doing and what the game is like.

I see that the Explorer's Pack isn't available in the Crown store any more, replaced with the Adventurer Pack, but I see some key sellers are still selling Explorer's Pack keys for under $2. Can you still redeem a key for that even though it's not up for sale anymore?

The physical keys you buy have always been different from the crown store ones, they will work in all regions for starters. As for the pack yeah you get the important thing which is any race any alliance but I think you only get the treasure map boxes once which isn't so bad since those chests are usually crap anyway and lately I've been getting a lot of maps just as random drops. With the latest expansion the race alliance thing is probably not important but I recommend picking it up anyway and also it's two bucks.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Honestly I would recommend just subscribing. There are codes for 60 days + 3000 crowns out there for less than 20 bucks if you look around.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
From scratch to 50? With the boost event I'd say maybe 12 hours or so. But then you have to go through all the champion stuff that takes longer. Also everything scales you can now do all of it at any level.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I’m only really interested in single player and I liked Skyrim, should I get this game?

This would be your first problem and it depends on what you like about Skyrim. If you want a modding platform yeah that's Skyrim. If you want a good game this is so much better than Skyrim ever was, I mean yeah poo poo respawns but you get to kill lots of guys, even named guys through your choices and the world actually changes with your quest progression. Townspeople will even comment on things you did and the towns seem more alive than anything in Skyrim. It's for some reason the superior single player game and all the multi player stuff is right there should you want it but it's mostly a bunch of assholes ERPing in every tavern you set foot in so I tend to not do that a lot.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So is the server just plain making GBS threads itself right now or is it my connection?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

mister magpie posted:

I guess I should be stealing all the time

That's a great name post combo and pretty much what you do in any Elder Scrolls game.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

NeurosisHead posted:

Yeah, I can't think of a reason to make gear better than green before the late CP levels.

Because you're swimming in the blue stuff anyway from the event that encouraged you to chain bosses for hours?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I always made my stuff blue because it's not hard to do and arguably doubles the time it's decent for you, it's not worth it super early but you hit 40 or so and yeah it helps a lot. I mean I guess it comes down to preference but it saved me a bunch of round trips to get to all the set shrines. Also it was my first time leveling through champion stuff, if you already have someone high up that changes things but it all depends on how many materials you can/want to burn i guess.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 6, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

DancingShade posted:

Just tell everyone you're a space janitor slacking off from your work shift in the holodeck and that's why your Argonian is named Roger Wilco.

I'm a 12th level vice president.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's the best single player MMO out there, now more than ever. In many aspects you'd judge a regular game by it's better than what Bethesda has been pumping out. And if you get tired of questing on your own there are some other people to do things with right there.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The secret is to not do it but still collect the materials and let someone who's already done leveling it craft poo poo for you. Because gently caress trying to level it yourself, you'll get there eventually but there's no point in trying to grind.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You always want to go all either Stamina or Magicka, never mix and never health.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Drizzt isn't a terribly well built character anyway. Never read the books but I assume he just has some kind of plot immunity there so whatever.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You can hook up with anybody of any level at any time and it'll scale just fine to all of you and the goon guild is pretty great.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Rollersnake posted:

The bonuses from sets mean found weapons and armor are always better than crafted, until whatever point that's no longer the case (I'm certainly not there yet). Enchanting (and maybe provisioning) is the only craft that is honestly useful early on, and I recommend working on at least that.

This is just plain not true. You can and should craft your own sets, there is good stuff for as little as two perks per part researched which takes barely any time at all. The bulk of the stuff you want will need a bit more than that but researching and crafting is always easier than actually farming up the parts and it's way easier to actually get what you want that way. Crafted gear in this game is always viable and very often preferable to found and awarded gear.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Saki posted:

Any EU goons about? How bad is the lag on the American Servers? Playable?

It is completely playable unless your connection really sucks rear end. For some reason the ingame display shows a fairly high latency too but I rarely have problems.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I finally got two master writs today, one was cooking which was easy, the other one requires nine traits on medium gloves so am I just out of luck until I research that or can someone else craft them for me and I just turn it in? Also I've been asking in guild chat a lot but nobody came forward so I'm still looking for someone to craft me two or three dozen 160 glyphs so I can bang out the last few levels in enchanting, got plenty of materials.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 30, 2017

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well it's too late to sell since I've accepted but 2000 gold isn't anything I'd even bother to trade for so I guess I'm really in no hurry.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I use a two hander on the back bar with my Templar but it's mostly for Rally, the damage shield from Brawler and Critical Charge as a gap closer and that makes me pretty sturdy to the point where I can solo regular dungeons and world bosses.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
If you stick with it long enough you eventually want to play all the factions with the same character anyway since everything scales and if you don't like the look or feel or whatever of one alliance or area you can just gently caress off across the continent and play someone else's content for a bit. So outside of PvP which alliance you choose is only dictated by the race you want to be or if you have the adventurer's pack it's completely meaningless. Except if you do Daggerfall first then you're objectively terrible since every other quest is "oh hey we can't figure out how to proceed from here let's go check out someone's dream/memory" and the blue tint just gets annoying after a while.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I have a completely different experience and I'm constantly out of stamina in difficult fights where I actually have to dodge, block and worry about keeping certain things running. Seem to me like that change will impact the top tier gear people until they settle for a new meta which with their money and banked gear will be no problem but completely gently caress over the people below that who may just be starting out, still trying to get their gear together and probably don't have the money to invest in whatever comes next. And yeah, I'm kind of pissed about that.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I gotta take this time to complain about the clusterfuck that is the trade system. I've been trying to put together various sets and get some pieces of furniture I need over the last week or two and everything I've looked up on Tamriel Trade Center led me across the entire continent looking up listing that weren't up anymore and I ended up having to guess and search myself to find anything so it's really not doing anything but giving me a rough idea what something should cost. I know it's not their fault but that's kind of my point, the trade interface is horrible, you can't even search by name for no drat reason I can figure out, you never know where you'll get what at what price but that's by design. Honestly poo poo moving so fast at least indicates a healthy community but the lovely trade interface is just inexcusable.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
If you pickpocket you don't know what you'll get but yeah only fence green or higher. For getting the hang of things Orsinium really is great, NPC are rarely bunched up, decent amount of boxes to open, very few guards and easy to get around in. The best places are fairly heavily farmed during peak hours so you want to keep an eye out for alternatives.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Seriously? You need more stealing alts. I estimate I make something like half a million a week and that's from just maxing out one character which takes like 30 minutes a day and picking up whatever I can find but not sweating it when I play another. Making money is fairly easy if not always convenient.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I get a decent bunch of blues in my rounds and even the odd purple here and there. And I suppose it's factoring in the daily crafting poo poo and the questing I do but the crafting takes like thirty seconds per character and the questing is something you're likely doing anyway. So yeah, that was a bit high for just the stealing but you do make plenty of money from just playing the game is my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yes everything scales now if you want a challenge you can solo group content. For some classes that's easier than others. As for dungeons you can do them at any time but if you do them before you have weapon swap, an ultimate for both and vaguely know how to move and what skills to use when. Seriously I hate it when I get put in a group with level ten or so people, especially when it's the healer. I know I can solo it at this point but if I wanted to I wouldn't look for a group and carry your dumb asses and at level ten you're not doing much of anything, be it healing or damage. I would recommend you don't pug at all since there's a good chance it'll be miserable either way but it's very possible to pull your weight at around level 30 or so. Unless you're going with goons, most of us can solo most normals and possibly even some vets and don't mind bringing new people along for loot xp and neat heads you can hang in your house.

Yes I know I'm rambling check out my trophy area instead

Morglon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 24, 2017