Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So how do the guilds/main quest work now? Can you just mainline them, or do you still only get the next quest every ten levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
With the news of being able to join a House, can we confirm this is a Telvanni only guild. Or do we have some Hlaalu/Redoran lovers here?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hi posted:

Hey I was considering jumping in and giving this a whirl since its 40% off on steam for the gold edition but had some questions.

Im looking over the OP and even with extensive playtime on most of the TES series these classes seem weird and foreign to me. and for all the custimization of TES games they all seem to be heres 4 themes, each theme has a dps a control and tank or heal spec. Can you make weird class combos like a sneaky battlemage in heavy armor? or will you be respecing at "end game" into a homogenized cookie cutter holy trinity build anyway ? I saw it said "anything" can do 1-50 but youll end up respecing probably at end game, that sounds like every modern MMO, are we talking about not able to join in / do end game without a meta build or are we talking about like a 5% difference only min maxing spergelords care about?

Basically , my concern is that the classes dont make a lot of sense to me... Like if I wanted to be more like a traditional paladin would I take the templar healing tree and then pickup a 2h weapon so I could actually damage things? or like a deathknight pickup that siphoning spec and then suppliment it with a big sword?

I guess my concern is how viable are hybrid builds beyond "the leveling experience is easy enough that you can do it with any setup"

I have an Orc ( whose amazing class skill is RUNS FASTER ) Sorc that I switch between Stam/Mag on whim.

This is a TES rear end TES game, it's literally just sperglords going OH MY GOD IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE EXTRA 5% DAMAGE YOU AREN'T COMP!!

Basically how it works is 90% of the skills are traditional TES skills and you can unlock them with any class. Duel Wield, 2Hander, Heavy or Light Armor, etc. That's all freeform. Every class gets these 90% same abilities and can choose how they want to build off of them.

What you are choosing with your class is what Magic you want to use/what special skills you want per class. So DK is Destruction Magic/Stone Magic + the same 90% of skills every other class has. They are slightly better at tanking/survival because of this, but you can still tank/survive with any other class. Templar is Restoration/MAGIC SPEARS which translates to you have a few more healing options then other classes, but they can also heal with Resto Staff anyways. Nightblade gets the out of stealth crit attack/siphoning. Sorc gets a lot of mobility options/summons.

So if you wanted to make a "Paladin", you basically decide what that means for you. You could totally go Templar and have even more healing options through the Templar line, plus pick up a 2Hander and go hog. Or you could be a Nightblade Deathknight style thing and wear heavy armor, use a 2Hander, and then be the group healer/self healer by siphoning everyone around you like some rear end in a top hat vampire. Or you can be some sort of Battlemage and go Sorc, wear heavy armor/2Handers and teleport around/pop magic armor. Class just defines class skills/magic types which is maybe 1/5th of what'll be used by you on a regular basis.

And goons generally don't give a gently caress what you do, as long as you show up.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

doomfunk posted:

Thanks my dude, I appreciate it despite my being j4g being a complete fiction with no basis in reality.

I am one of the devs Scyantific alluded to. I can't really discuss anything though, but if you have feedback regarding anything crafting feel free to pm it to me and I'll quietly collect it. I'm the crafting guy.

Here is my crafting feedback ( I don't have PMs but you asked ).

Let subs carry crafting unlocks between characters. I have 2 alts, I don't want to have to jump back to my main guy to craft something. If I know the secrets of Sturdy Staves, my account should know the secrets of Sturdy Staves. If my Argonian Templar learns all 4 tabs of Nirnroot, my Orc Sorcerer should know the 4 properties of Nirnroot.

This also boosts the value of the sub as we get closer to the Morrowind launch. I'm paying money to have less busywork.

This also lets me not waste time when on alts. Rather then have to go log on to each character individually to set their research I can just kind of not give a poo poo, log on to who I was already planning on playing, and just research on my accountwide crafting tab.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm bummed cause I really really like the StamSorc playstyle, and originally picked it up after it got nerfed into the ground/Fengrush threatened to quit the game.

And now apparently it's the new meta? Boo all of you. I don't like any of the other classes as much as I like rear end in a top hat Orc ninja wizard.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is questing in this game along the same lines as in the single player games? Is it any good?

Yeah basically.

Each faction has five zones you quest through. Combined they are about the size of Skyrim, albeit a Skyrim split into 5 parts.

The Hold city equivalents are a little less lived in, but to make up for it the rando Dragon Bridge style towns are usually much bigger.

Unlike traditional TES where you get all the quests in the towns and the guilds are town specific, in TES most of the questgivers are hanging out in the wilderness near their quest. Same type of quests, same feeling of gameplay, just they don't hang out in the towns. There are guilds in every major town and their quests are tied to your level, not the region. Basically they start around the midpoint of the singleplayer guilds, when you stop having to kill 5 rats and start getting into the actual meat of the questline with the last questgivers.

It's still TES. It's better TES then Oblivion, and most of us would say it's better then or at least on par with Skyrim. Just a little different, but once you get past the shock it's great.

Just a warning, they revamped 90% of the content in the game, but they only barely retouched the introduction islands. So if you do choose to do them, realize they are still pretty simple/quick/not very indicative of the final game. The loop is still there, they are just considerably smaller then the actual faction zones and the dungeons/quests in them are extremely short. Once you get to the mainland the dungeons start getting more TES sized and the quests start getting a bit more interesting.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Since it's only $10, I'm thinking about getting this to play with my wife in replace of the free version of LOTRO which hasn't really grabbed me. I haven't had a chance to try the free week yet (hopefully today) but I was wondering how the battle-leveling "felt" in PVE. Specifically I'm referencing this from the OP: "This means that immediately upon entering the game for the first time, you can travel to any region in the game, regardless of level, faction, or main quest completion status, and you won't get immediately murdered! Zenimax is doing this by basically implementing the same battle-leveling mechanics..."

I don't really like when games level the monsters with you because even if there's progression in equipment/skills, it always feels kind of grindy to me. Hard to explain, but suffice to say I'm not a fan. I like there being areas I get to go to after leveling up, so if everything is survivable from the start then there's no "special" areas.

Any opinions on how ELO handles it?

Also, I saw in a random review that the Crown Store's items are all things you can get in game, is that still true? OP made it seem like there were some unique mounts, at the least. If true, are they just cosmetic?

There are always special areas because there are plot relevant areas. Coldharbour ( the big bads domain ) isn't accessible until you beat the main quest for example. You also have quest chains to follow that encourage you to stick to the main path ( and like any other TES game the quests tend to be actually fairly interesting/chain in ways that you want to do them in order. ). There are also still somewhat harder random world dungeons compared to the basic stuff. It's also pretty lenient overall about what you do/how you do it, because most of the side content just rewards you with more skill points/loot, so if you start getting bored of doing x, you don't actually have to keep doing it.

Crown Store is just cosmetic stuff and boosters. You can buy a horse ingame for basically pennies. Or.....you could ride a wolf for $5. Or how about EVIL BLACK WOLF for $10. The only real worthwhile expenses are the DLC ( which is pretty pick and choose honestly. Thieves Guild adds a Thieves Guild. Don't care about joining the Thieves Guild? Congrats you don't need it. Dark Brotherhood adds the murder people guild. Don't care about that? Congrats you don't need it. Imperial City adds a smaller scale PvP zone and some endgame dungeons that continue the plot, but eh if you don't like PvP that much. Orsinium is probably the only must get for adding a whole new questing zone/tons of new stuff to do. ), and maybe a sub for the crafting bags. Without a sub crafting mats go in your basic bags, which is slightly annoying to sort through/plan around. If you sub you get a infinite crafting bag that just holds it all forever.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cygni posted:

i've enjoyed running around in the pretty world by myself doing quests enough that i picked up the base game. figure ill spring for the monthly sub if i ever get that far and want more. somehow i've already spent like 15 hours in the game, so i guess its already met the $1/hour threshold.

game is much much better than i had been lead to believe.

I've been pimping it out every chance I get in the Steam thread. Games a good time waster yo.

It's a better Morrowind successor then Oblivion or Skyrim were at least ( and I like Skyrim an awful lot, and enjoy Oblivion ).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DoriDori240 posted:

RIP StamDK
RIP mNB Sap Tank
Stamplar....uh..what are those again?

Sorcs are A-ok though.

Stamsorcs are untouchable because Fengrush would quit if they nerfed them too hard. Gotta keep that influencer money flowing.

( I went Stamsorc when Fengrush quit due to the last nerfs, when they became "unplayable". I swear I'm one of the good ones! )

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

As someone who just picked up this game for 10$ and only read the OP once, Explain the build for a stupid newbie dildo.

I'm interested in OP flavor of the month for most enjoyment.

StamSorc isn't fotm. It's just a really reliable stambuild that has a lot more variety then the other stambuilds.

Stamplars uses to be better due to just how good Templars were ( they were the fotm class ), but looks like they got knocked down this patch.

Stamblades are entirely PvP gankers that suffer in every other environment and have a ton of basic problems.

StamDK was basically just a PvE tank build.

Meanwhile StamSorc could be a fun muscle wizard what warps around, sustains well, does respectable enough damage in most fights, and was a pain to kill. You could also swap to Magicka pretty easily for PvE.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So prior to release they mentioned you could now start a new character that starts in Vivec City rather then the Vestige. Is that still the case, or?

If it is, did they ever mention how that character moves on to becoming the Vestige and playing through the actual main plot?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Scyantific posted:

You do the Morrowind tutorial, end up outside of Vivec City, then you port over to the mainland and you get the prompt to start the new quest.

New Quest being the old content? Does it just plop you at the Escape from Coldharbor exit where the Prophet tells you to find him?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Each of the factions has their own Naryu. I would bet good money next years Morrowind type deal will include either Razum-Dar, or Darien Gautier.

Of the three I prefer Razum-Dar. He is also the best in Coldharbor. He's also maybe a Khajiti God?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
hi I'm back.

is orc stamsorc still a good build, or has it been beaten down by the cruel excess of Zeni. how has fared my beloved stamsorc.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 28, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
why in gods name are all my alts being forced to start in summerset immediately meeting with a major character in the dominion questline.

like, what happens if i finish the summerset playthrough, then go to vulkhel guard and meet him there. is he still all "who are you?" or is he like "AH BUDDY. YOU SEEM TO HAVE FALLEN FROM THE SKY?"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Race really only matters if you are score pushing. And even then, I've seen a lot of really goofy combos.

If you like the Breton stay Breton. StamSorc has enough use of Magicka still ( Streak is Magicka after all ) that you'll get some use out of the passives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Offkorn posted:

Anyone how the drop rate behaves with things that can drop multiple antiquity leads?

If you already have one (or more) of the leads it can drop, does that increase the chance of getting one you don't have, or does it instead increase the chance of giving you nothing (since you can't have duplicates)?

e: Actually, considering how the Bthar-Zel leads work, it's got to be the former. I must just be on a bad-luck streak.

e2: There seems to be a hard limit of 12 active leads per area. I got another lead immediately after digging one up (bringing the total down to 11).

It's the former.

I've made most of my money during Blackwood/Skyrim events by doing a frankly absurd amount of maps and reselling any of the high end Purple motifs. Once you fill out your leads of all the various motif pages and only have Chests/Swords/Shields you'll be guaranteed to only get Chests/Swords/Shields. So you ignore all the greens/blues and only ever scry/dig up the purples, over and over and over again.

With average of 1 motif page per 5 maps it's a good profit if you are willing to plug your initial 2m-3m or so of seed money into it. I usually do it for the whole event and walk away with 10-15m off the initial 2m investment.

It's also mind numbingly boring but hey.