Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

After playing the 1Tamriel update for a day or so I have to wonder why they didn't just strip "levels" out of the game entirely. At level 7 I beat a level 20 guy in duel, it seemed totally evenly matched. I grouped with level 50 + types to kill a boss in Stonefall. Killing an enemy at level 18 is now the same at level 7, there's zero difference the time or anything. If I have a sword of the red mountain and its level 7, it takes 10 swings to kill a monster. Then at level 18 I have another sword of red mountain and it takes 10 swings to kill a monster why not just let me keep the level 7 one forever?! Why not let me upgrade it to the level 18 one. The whole thing seems so bizarrely done. Its like they can't gather the balls to remove that "progression" entirely, but have completely neutered any skinner box type reward of getting more powerful by going back to murder level 10 guars. All of the numbers are totally stupid aswell, I have like 15,000 HP or something at level 18. Why not just have it at 150 or 1500. Ugh its all so hamfisted.

Edit:

Here is my character at level 18. These numbers just seem stupid, especially considering how irrelevant they all seem to be now.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

eSporks posted:

I really can't comprehend this logic. If you went through the game at a reasonable pace before OT you wouldn't have noticed much difficulty curve either. Why do you want to run around 1 shotting everything and not getting exp anyways? I will never understand the draw behind watching numbers go up.

I don't care about the thrill of watching numbers go up etc, but what I am trying to articulate is that the 1Tameriel update effectively renders the concept of "level up" pointless. I think game mechanics as they exist now don't support the type of game they have tried to remould ESO into. Case in point the level 7 and level 18 "identical" swords of the red mountain that I should just be able to use forever, but instead need to grind out a new one every few levels. Case in point beating people 20 levels higher in duels etc. It is all now effectively pointless.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

MF_James posted:

lol I never thought goons would rage (so hard) about zenimax making the game better.

By all means, try to level up to 50 with level 4 gear and not spending attributes/skillpoints since new gear and leveling don't matter anymore.

Oh my god, you cant possibly be this dense. If it takes 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 10 with a level 10 sword of red mountain and it takes 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 20 sword of red mountian and it takes my friend 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 50 with a level 50 sword of the red mountain. Why not make it so you only ever need a single sword of the red mountain?!

The game is much better now, absolutely. For sure 100 % agreed, but that doesn't mean that its still not a total clusterfuck of useless poo poo. It just means it was even worse before.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

What's the best way to approach this game nowadays? I had a copy at release that I ran through its own launcher. Now, I see you can get it on Steam or Epic. I also have Gamepass and it's on there too. Is there functionally any difference between which of these I use to download the game again?!