Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Spider Plant posted:

Can any PvP veterans share some wisdom for a poor newbie? I'm trying to grab myself a few of the skills but it feels really slow going. I'm a StamNB and I'm trying to be useful; repairing walls and the odd bit of siege, but it doesn't add up to much.

In big fights I try and stay on the edges and pepper things with my bow, but I don't think I'm being much use. Getting into the fray might net me a kill, but a death as well and that's less useful.

It could be that I joined the low pop campaign, but it seems like a lot of waiting for something to happen, then trying to find and join up with the group before it's all over.

Also, do people not actually group up much? There's a lot of the same people asking 'lfg' in the chat, without much reply.

Train 2h and be really mobile. Not speaking as someone who has pvped as a stamblade, but as someone who has been killed by a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Rollersnake posted:

Ah, man, I hadn't even considered the damage scaling from different stats. I might restart as a different class as I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying the hand-to-hand combat above all else, but I might end up being content just as a pure mage dabbling in legerdemain.

One of the reasons you'll see sorcs (or any other spec for that matter) using dw is armor set bonuses. With sword and shield or dw you can run two 5/5 set bonuses with a full monster set using jewelry. Also, I believe the 5% (2.5% per sword) blade and blunt passive does apply to magic. It certainly used to and I haven't heard anything about it changing. On the other hand, I never read patch notes.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
I had enough time before to patch and find out I can log on. What's broke? How often are set items dropping in non-instanced areas?

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Always buy the pig with your crowns. Its important.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
My last day of work for the next seven. Starting tomorrow I will be spending as much time as I can murdering other players. Anyone, please murder other players with me.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Scyantific posted:

Better to spend that time grinding up new toons while the DoubleXP event is going on.

I guess I could finally make a stam sorc, or Ennuid's favorite spec "The Stamplar," but all my current toons are 50. Sap tank needs some work, i guess

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
This is my weekend off and my babby stam sorc needs his first keys. Also, sellistrix or whatever is a great set for soloing. Lots of procs, nice aoe cc and respectable damage. Its also satisfying to be surrounded by mobs and then all the sudden they're all on their asses.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Quick derail to let you guys know my dog was found today and he's back home. Have a dog pic:

Now run pledges with me, need to try out a new gear setup on my lizplar tank.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

tgidieday posted:

Nothing. Dick-waving builds all use dual wield, because maelstrom weapons are overpowered. But if you don't have maelstrom weapons, the trade is still: two-hander gives you toughness and single-target dps, dual wield gives you AOE. That has not changed.

Beyond that, these "which build is best" discussions often miss the point, since if you're playing well, your dps is more dependent on your group and its buffs/debuffs than any one thing you're doing. There is no such thing as "your" dps. So no single build could ever be "best": your choices should be tailored to how you play the game and who you are playing it with.

As a final word for the newly-minted stamina experts: I've played with you. I know how much dps you do. Stick to giving PvP advice.

I wanted to mention you and floobs as folks to talk to about 2h. You guys both manage insane damage with 2h builds. My 2h dk does garbage dps, but It's my inability to ani cancel with 2h. I manage great sustain and respectable dps with my dw stam sorc, but weaving with dw just works better for me. The best advice remains play what you're enjoying. I've run with plenty of good solid 2h players, I am just not one of them. Four dps goon runs remain the single funnerest thing we do, and it's always just come as you are, we usually manage to limp through. Also, come back ennuid, 1T is p cool.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

MF_James posted:

I'm curious what sets people are rolling right now as stamsorcs?

I am running dw/bow with spriggan/night mother's/sellistrix. Spriggan seems to be part of the stam sorc pvp meta and I'd be interested in hearing what people are running on them for pve as well. I run sellistrix when I'm soloing and skoria or stormfist for dungeons. Haven't dipped my toe in pvp with this guy yet, but my weapons are part of my crafted nm 5/5 so I'd craft a 2h mace with crushing glyph for pvp. I got lucky with Spriggan jewelry drops but they are not robust. Would glyph jewelry for weapon power to offset dps loss with only having 35k stam. If spriggan jewelry came with the robust trait I imagine it'd be stupid expensive. I bought chest/legs in divines and dont remember it being that spendy.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Scyantific posted:

Drop Sanguine Altar completely, replace it with Burning Embers (the second skill in the Ardent Flame tree). Burning Embers is the morph that heals you for the damage done by the skill, just pop it when you need an emergency heal.

Just started playing a mag dk and saw that Flame Lash heals as well. Still better to go with the ardent flame damage increase and use searing strike morph for self heals? Cuz Flame Lash is a 10k heal over 2 seconds.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Bruteman posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having options, and it's obvious a lot are provided. My gripe with the skills setup is less about any given build's viability or comparative utility of a weapon or class skill and more about how frustrating it is to have a bunch of active skills to choose from but you can only use five plus an ultimate at any given time.

I miss those nearly unlimited skill bars from rift. Still, the stam skills from the dw line won't do you any good on a magplar. I hear there's a stamina morph for sweeps, but I wouldn't know because a great man (Ennuid) once told me, "friends don't let friends stamplar."

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Okay, Born Against destro staff runs, who's carrying me through pledges?

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Scyantific posted:

Welp, it happened, my idiot/pubby-proof tank build failed me with a pubby group for COH II.

loving DPS with 35k health running 2hander just spamming Cleave and Uppercut, top-notch skill there :downsbravo:

E: Tried again with an actual DD-er instead of some idiot, and not only did the run go through without a hitch, but I got my Lich Restoration Staff. So I'm good.

Did they drop a standard over where you pulled the ghosts? That happened to me back when you got silver keys for loving it up. It was awesome.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Autism Sneaks posted:

let's say I'm a big dumb whale, how about they just let me pay 10 pounds for a goddamn guar-tronach instead of stick it at the bottom of a slot machine that exists in a legal gray area?

Why only get 15 bux for a new mount when some whale will gamble away 5 times that trying to get the mount?

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
we're calling this one "Waiting for DromelPhrenia"

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
run with goons mang, pugs are stupid

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Rollersnake posted:

I know the crown crates are a money pit, and I'm not intending to buy any, but could someone tell me how much stuff you get in one, or what the rarity distribution is like? Is it true that the only way to get crown gems is by trading in duplicates of items you've already found in crown crates?

There's, like, exactly one thing I'd want, and it's the Argonian feather headdress. I'd buy it if it were an item in the crown store, but gently caress gambling for any kind of reward.

The only thing guaranteed to be in every box are the garbage consummables which you can buy with crowns anyway. You can trade anything in the box for 1 of those gems. Im assuming if its one of the bigger items it'd more, but buying poo poo with those gems would make those things tremendously expensive.

Most MMOs aren't Eve. They don't have many years to monetize their poo poo. This will happen in every MMO going forward. There is no way they won't get a huge jump in revenue behind this.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Jesus Condumb posted:

Why? From what I've read houses are 100% cosmetic fluff. You won't be able to store anything in them ("maybe at a later date"). The only good thing in a house will be the targeting dummy. Its essentially a really expensive wayshrine you can decorate.

Wait, we can't store our poo poo there? Guess I'll be using the target dummies in the goon base-ment. I half hoped this might fix the terrible inventory setup, where I can't get armor sets to group and often have no idea how close I am to completing them.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Randler posted:

Is it not feasible to use the Undaunted taunt or just switch to your second weapon set and then continue clobbering while the taunt is up?

The undaunted taunt is expensive and magicka based. It has niche uses (its ranged) but isnt even very good for magicka tanks. The s&b taunt also applies 2 debuffs giving it much better utility. In dungeons it really only matters in boss fights where losing aggro for a couple seconds could drop the healer or much needed dps causing wipes.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

acumen posted:

I don't think I quite understand what to do with these Undaunted keys. I know I should save them for 160cp but do they really only drop shoulder pieces? Aren't those available as usual during the dungeons? Even so, what's the point in using more than 1 key then?

The level 9 undaunted passive gives you a 6 percent bump to all attributes. You want that except in the case of stam builds that lose crit if you don't run all medium. For pve the divines trait is generally preferred, for pvp you may prefer impenetrable. Mixing and matching your monster helms/shoulders to achieve the preferred benefits means you want more than one of each. Having a bunch of the better monster sets is nice and also saves time on swapping that one good set between multiple toons. Keys are good, you should get a bunch.

e: I should have mentioned that the undaunted passives gives you 2 percent per armor type worn and RNGesus dictates you'll get a mix on armor types from bosses/undaunted chests.

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 12, 2016

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
I already patched, ZOS, and I have today off. Put the hamster in the wheel already.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Blast of Confetti posted:

Where can I buy a tabard?

Also how much of a difference will heavy armor make over light? On my magplar I have to hit Breath of Life a lot more than I'd like to when doing solo stuff.

How often and what level are you? Sweeps should be enough to keep you up except in maybe some boss fights.

e: you can buy the goon tabard from the banker, choose "guild store."

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Hurry up and fill the guild bank with the event motifs and recipes, I don't wanna do the evennt quests.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
all hail emperor froid, the emp we deserve

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
BRK in AZ is now claimed for Ebonheart Goons. I would've claimed it for Lusty Argonian Maids, but I had to hurry.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Scyantific posted:

Update both Master Merchant and AwesomeGuildStore

Awesome guildstore has never worked right for me. In a fit of optimism I tried updating one more time after 1t and nuthin'.

Cyro update cuz I had to work tonight. Also Free FROID!

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Lima posted:

Are there any europeans/offhour people in the US guild? I installed this dumb game again and wouldn't mind starting over fresh.

I work nights so during the work week i play latish euro peak. Im always glad to tank (badly) and val will heal with insane dps and sometimes he'll even drop a heal on you. Guys in endgame can solo a lot of normal dungeons so we'll do 4 dps goon runs that are always fun even if we're drunk and do dumb stuff.

E: I guess what im saying is it will be fun, but it may not be efficient.

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 21, 2017

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
please pvp, i mean the pvp guild some of us run with is good, but they get really mad, and even a 8-10 goon raid in pvp here would be better and hilarious and alot more fun

e: i mean running from the viewpoint that goons like to be spoilers in pvp, there is so much opportunity to do that, and do it alot

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 24, 2017

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

bagrada posted:

How does the pvp work in this game, is it the standard 3 zergs run around taking keeps uncontested for rewards while mostly avoiding each other? I saw somewhere you can jump in at level 10, can you actually help at that level? A friend and I are in a massive DAOC RvR nostalgia funk so we are taking another look at this game which we bought on sale years ago and never played.

Everybody zergs, but we murder players alot and I'm not sure how the zergs could avoid each other on this map. Also, taking the center keeps and crowning an emp is fun and none of the other factions are gonna sit on their hands while you do that. We generally run in a smaller group and on the last run thru' AS were constantly outnumbered but it didnt seem to matter. There's a core of decent players and a host of bads, so numbers are often meaningless. If we ran small goon groups for pvp, i'm sure we'd do what we've done in the past., tower farms and grabbing any small scale fights we can find.

Azura's Star has a dude who has a fairly big twitch stream. He's a tiny lil man who loves to be emp. When his stream is up it births the buttzerg. Ironically, streamy guy hates being followed around by the buttzerg, but the buttzerg don't care. The buttzerg is dumb, bad and oh so juicy. Sometimes the buttzerg is in one place and impossible to displace, but usually the buttzerg comes to you in dribs and drabs, and then it is you moral duty to murder it. We spent a weekend night last week wiping the DC Feng lovers over and over again at the same drat farm. They just kept funneling into scope. So much AP and teabagging.

tl;dr: pvp is cool and good and you should play this game to do it

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

boho posted:

Have they made any PvP changes yet?

proc sets won't crit

mdks got a very tiny bit of love

you'll be able to buy a buncha sets with tel var

so really, not really

In summary: fengrush is still short and fun to kill and destro ult parties are still alot of fun

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
We haven't been using discord like we should. I think you still need an invite from scy

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
So, I got a slew (sic?) of rage tells tonight in AS. One dude I got to kill 6 times, but apparently I jumped a group of spectators watching some dual poo poo. Mattfire was upset I wouldn't follow him and gently caress me if it didn't make me think AS is toxic. We did de-emp DC right before shutdown, that was fun.

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 31, 2017

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Ixjuvin posted:

Well it is an MMO with classes, skills and builds, which means that some guy on Youtube is going to figure out the 'optimal' way to do everything and then most people will mock you for not following suit. I have been roundly berated for having the temerity to be a magicka-based Templar as an Orc (which is a better race for stamina-based builds). But gently caress you, I will happily trade 5% off my Optimal Numbers for the ability to be fat Orc Danny Trejo.

As far as being a weird hybrid goes, there are more than enough skill points in the game for you to get all of your class talents, and you get two weapon types to swap between bars. And that's before Guilds and whatnot come in. I consider my Templar to primarily be a healer, but I can deal significant damage at range and in melee, and solo some group content, without having to respec or even swap out more than one or two skills depending on if I want to do a dungeon or whatever.

From this day forth I will never run another pledge without a big fat orc templar healer, cuz thats sounds p awesome.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Randler posted:

I'm looking for some pointers regarding what items and stuff to go for in a stamina* based Argonian Dragon Knight that recently hit the 160 CP treshold.

I mainly want to tank but also not take ages to kill stuff when I'm doing story missions on my own. I tried to build something around two-handed sword based on presumably outdated information I could scrounge up but the damage is pretty anemic outside of charging and brawler'ing trash mobs in story missions. :smith:

* I care less about the actual gameplay stat and more about being a huge lizard with huge weapons, so if I can pull that off with Magicka, that'd be fine as well.

Honestly, I'd go magicka with the Argoon. You'll have a bigger toolbox, and even though for straight dps you'll never dps like a dunmer mag dk, a mag dk argoo tank would work, and for soloing you'd still get the mag dks awesome dps tool box. You could even dps respectively with sword and board as the best mag dk dps skills are all class based and mostly magicka. If you're sold on stam, train dual wield (make sure you take the self heal morphs of the first 2 dw skills) and medium armor and you'll do fine in solo content. If you go mag train desro staff for your back bar and the awesome ultimate. I see plenty of people wreck poo poo with the 2h but animation canceling is a must and I found it prohibitively hard to master with 2h. Animation canceling and light strike weaving are much much easier with dual wield (at least for me).

e: i should also say dw is generally better for sustain and aoe in pve and 2h is bursty and better for single target (but again ask a 2h guy about animation canceling or maybe check some video tuts on it).

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 19, 2017

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
I think Im gonna make everyone decorator able on my house so you can just move poo poo around and put ugly mismatched poo poo in it. The first person who hangs a DC banner in my house will get a stern talking too or something equally terrifying.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Magdk so you can breathe fire on some scrubs while your dogge listlessly stands too close to frickin hot lava.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

MF_James posted:

Why would you be able to setup merchants? That would undermine the auction system, unless you're talking about NPC merchants to sell stuff to?

I think thats what he means and I wonder why as well. If you could set up the banker/smuggler/merchant assistants in your home and interact with them you could decon/sell off/pack dump and launder goods from your home provided you put the time in or buy the crafting stations. This would give housing at least some level of utility. Right now its fairly useless as anything other then a free port. They look great, but have no real function.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Aramek posted:

Uhhhh? You totally can set up the banker/merchant/smuggler in your home.

And it works.

Because we did that.

Im gonna need a walkthrough cuz my smuggler just sits there taking up space and probably saying mean things behind my back. Did you set them up via the f5 menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Come pvp in this big dumb game. The other stuff is fun too, but pvp here is so easy and needs a goon presence because it's easy and would be simple to take over. :getin:

e: What I mean by easy is 20-25 goons could own a pvp server.

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 3, 2017