Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I got in on one of the beta weekends before this game launched and looked at it with the idea of just being able to wander around and explore, but wandering 10 seconds off the path immediately got me killed. The stuff they're saying about One Tamriel really makes it sounds like what I originally wanted - just being able to wander around and explore the world.

So, if I mostly want to play solo just kind of wandering and exploring, is it worth getting now? Also at some point I would probably want to make a point of heading to the Imperial City, so I should get the Gold edition, right? (If I understood what I've read correctly, you can't get into the city at all if you don't have that DLC or the Plus membership.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

randombattle posted:

Should I buy this game?

I don't know if you should buy it, but I can tell you about how my day today went playing it (I only bought it 2 or 3 days ago and haven't played much yet).

I get a quest to talk to somebody to get certified in some of the crafting skills. After talking to her, I apparently wasn't paying enough attention to the dialogue choices because then I ended up having to go talk to some guy for getting certified on different crafting skills, and the lady wouldn't let me get certified on her set of crafting skills anymore.

So I went to talk to the guy and he told me if I could cook some pork for him, he'd certify me in Cooking and I could then pick up daily Writ of Crafting cooking quests. OK, sounds good. I happen to have some white meat in my inventory (not sure if I already had it or he gave me it as part of the quest). I go cook it, hand it in to him, he's amazed at what a good cook I am and now I'm certified.

I go get the daily quest, I need to brew some beer and cook some chicken. I go back to the cooking station, talk to the merchant, he sells me the beer recipe. I already have the ingredients for it and I already have the cooked chicken recipe. I make the beer. I try to make the chicken. Making it requires poultry, which I don't have.

I talk to the merchant. He sells cooked chicken but not poultry. I buy some cooked chicken hoping maybe the quest just checks for that in your inventory, but no. I go check with all the merchants I can find. Nobody sells poultry. I haven't seen any chickens on my questing in this area. Finally in town I see a thing called a "Bantam Guar" which doesn't look like a chicken, but sort of looks to me like a lizard that looks like a chicken, if that makes sense. I figure this probably follows fantasy logic and will drop poultry.

But it's green, so non-hostile, and I'm in a peaceful town. So I crouch down to hide and kill it. And then when I search it, I find poultry! Score! And as soon as I take it I get a wanted level and a guard starts chasing me. I guess either I was spotted killing it, or maybe spotted looting it? Either way, I don't want to get caught by the guard because if you pay off your bounty, they take all your stolen items and I don't want him to take my hard won poultry.

I run to the cooking station. Along the way a guard stops me. I get an option to pay my fine and hand over all stolen goods, or to flee. I choose to flee, and now I get a message showing me that my wanted level has gone up and the guards will now kill me on sight. Because I killed a not-chicken. Much like in Skyrim, the people of Elder Scrolls Online take these crimes seriously.

I get to the cooking station, cook the chicken, run out of town. I'm now being pursued by 4 or 5 guards but I manage to outrun them and get to the Outlaw Base where I find a fence who will let me pay off my bounty. Now I'm a fine upstanding citizen again AND I have the quest items!

I go turn them in, which involves putting the cooked items in a box at the docks. There's a note in the box which tells me "All across Skyrim and the Ashlands, our trade partners will sing the praises of your skilled hand at the cookpot." So now I guess I'm the best chef in all the land.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I forgot to mention in my tale of Adventures In Idiot Newbie Crafting, the reward I got for making the cooked chicken included 10 poultry, at which point I decided the game was just messing with me. Also in case anybody else is starting out, I didn't get permanently locked out of getting all the crafting certificates, the choice turned out to just be "Which 3 do you want first," I was able to then go back and get the other 3 as well.

Since other people also seem to be wondering about if the game's worth picking up, later this week I'll try to write up my thoughts based on starting out with no idea what I'm doing and what the game is like.

I see that the Explorer's Pack isn't available in the Crown store any more, replaced with the Adventurer Pack, but I see some key sellers are still selling Explorer's Pack keys for under $2. Can you still redeem a key for that even though it's not up for sale anymore?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Morglon posted:

The physical keys you buy have always been different from the crown store ones, they will work in all regions for starters. As for the pack yeah you get the important thing which is any race any alliance but I think you only get the treasure map boxes once which isn't so bad since those chests are usually crap anyway and lately I've been getting a lot of maps just as random drops. With the latest expansion the race alliance thing is probably not important but I recommend picking it up anyway and also it's two bucks.

Aha, I didn't realize they had different names for keys vs Crown Store, that's good to know and made it all make more sense. I managed to get a key for 83 cents and it redeemed without any trouble, so that's all good. Thanks!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This isn’t really a review, I’m not going to get into how the actual multiplayer stuff works much, just my thoughts on the question that I had and I’ve seen others with:
I’m only really interested in single player and I liked Skyrim, should I get this game?

Yes. Maybe.

First, what did you like about Skyrim/want from another game? If you specifically want a single player game where You Are The Only One Who Matters In The World and You Can Utterly Break The Game via Enchant/Alchemy loop, maybe not. (I’m sure there are guides for power leveling your character and game-breaking builds, but I haven’t really looked into that. I’m just playing it as “wander around and do stuff that looks interesting.”)

If you really liked the feel of the gameplay, maybe not.

However if what you want is “I would like a big open world to explore and pick up quests and maybe do some crafting and stuff” then yes, get the game. Especially since you can get the base game for $12 or so and the Gold (with some of the DLC) for around $30.

Although the gameplay doesn’t feel like Skyrim, some of the ideas are the same: If you want to get better at a specific weapon type, just pick it up and start using it. If you want to get better at blacksmithing or cooking food, just get some ingredients and go to the crafting stuff and start making things. Your skill at it will increase, and then you can spend skill points to improve your abilities/unlock new things. (Think like leveling up a skill and perks in Skyrim.)

So far I’ve been able to do various quests without worrying about being solo. At one point I got a quest to go to a Delve (dungeon), when I got there it was for multiple players, but the game warned me, and it turned out I was able to complete the quest just by finding the place, I didn’t actually need to beat the dungeon solo, or even go into it. (Which is good because I tried and died to the first group of enemies in it.)

(It’s also easy enough to join a group on the fly just for a specific dungeon; I did that last night and was able to get through that same first delve.)

Once you go through the initial tutorial type missions and get into the world, you’re free to do the main quest or ignore it, do stuff with other players or ignore them, craft things or ignore that. If you just want to wander around and explore, you can do that. Or you can do any mix of that stuff. That’s what I wanted from the game, and it delivers on that.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Seems to be the server.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

When/if things settle down, could someone please send me an invite to the Ebonheart Pact guild on PC? Also if there's still a crafting one, I guess. @zaktar. Thanks.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Do the crafting writs ever start asking you to make anything beyond the most basic stuff? I'm falling behind on tailor writs because I haven't been finding any jute since I hit level 15, and it's especially annoying as that's the craft I was most wanting to specialize in.

Cancel the quest, wait a day, pick up a new one. When I've done that, the new writ the next day seems to fit the materials I'm finding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Aramek posted:

My main Argo doesn't either. Just pretend he wasn't raised with an Argo family or something.

Yeah, "raised by another group" can be used to explain away much. When I get around to making a second character, I think it will be an Imperial who was raised by Argonians, and so named "Breathes-Water-Poorly."