Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hey Goons,

I live in a god-forsaken desert which means that I am running EU hours. I'm also planning on playing a Stamina character and want to grind out Vigor on reaching level 10. Will faction play a big role in terms of how easy / hard it is to grind out AP until I get that skill, or does the fact that I'm running at 4 A.M. server time mean that every faction will be dead anyways? Anything I should know re: faction choice and PVP besides the helpful "Ebonheart Pact to PVP with goons" in the OP, which I totally read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hate to ask this in the thread too, but can anyone in the guild do a werewolf bite?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Thanks for the werewolf bite, Aramark! Took your advice and got werewolf to 10.

By the way ya'll, if you get the bite cross Faction, you have to go to your Factions zone to enter the portal!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

What are the main differences between playing a magblade and a magsorc?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hi posted:

Basically , my concern is that the classes dont make a lot of sense to me... Like if I wanted to be more like a traditional paladin would I take the templar healing tree and then pickup a 2h weapon so I could actually damage things? or like a deathknight pickup that siphoning spec and then suppliment it with a big sword?

A templar with a destruction staff is a good approximation of a paladin because using Aedric Spear blends pretty flawlessly with a staff, it feels like a 2hander without having to mix stamina / magicka.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Overemotional Robot posted:

Now I'm back in and have put 300+ hours in. Goons are awesome to play with and the community is pretty good. It's really good if you want to soak in tons of ES lore (only a tiny bit of which is dubious - looking at you time travel and elf controlling helmet).

Time travel werewolf hunt was actually good.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Note that any crown store stuff won't transfer EU to US.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

madstrike posted:

Funny you posted that cause i was coming here to post that yes, i had decided on rolling on NA. Read most of the thread at work and seems there's very few of us around EU :(

My account should be @sa_madstrike if there's space in the goon guild. I don't care for PVP at all but did roll with Ebonhearth cause i like the Nords & Drows. Reptiles are cool too, i guess.

The NA guild is very active during EU hours at least.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I managed to do Cold Wind from the Mountain on the one day they fixed it. :smaug:

I wonder what the interaction is between that quest and the morrowind quest that means fixing one breaks the other, though.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Famethrowa posted:

Is there to anything to lower load times beyond buying a fresh SSD?

Because holy poo poo. 20 minutes just for character select :catstare:

Are you playing on a laptop or equivalent? Try closing your browser - I play on a laptop and noticed that leaving even one browser window open will cause the game to take forever to load to the character selection screen, instead of the normal 1-2 minutes.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Can I get an invite to the DC guild? @madhabmatics.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

disgraceful posted:

Is the EU guild still active?

If it is, someone toss me an invite @madhabmatics. I just restarted on the EU recently!

DoriDori240 posted:

I will be re-writing this one shortly, as soon as the final pts updates before they hit live. Still works as a overview and the leveling info is still relevant, just some skill changes...

Is the magblade healing rotation as finnicky / animation sensitive as the DPS one?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Randalor posted:

I started as a Dark Elf Dragonknight going with Earthen Heart and focusing on 2-handed weapons. I did the starting isle, then hosed off to Anvil as soon as I realized I could fast-travel there to do the Dark Brotherhood quests while leveling Ledgerman by fencing stuff taken from the guards bodies when I gently caress up and am spotted. How badly have I hosed up my character so far? Also, are the square runes for enchanting supposed to be incredible rare? Because I seem to find the other two shapes quite easily, but never the square runes.

You can do the Dark Brotherhood quests at any level. I just finished running a nightblade through them from level 4 to 12.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Shy posted:

Decided to buy Morrowind and retry the game on an EU server, feels so much better with good latency. Shame about goon presence though!
And where the hell is my costume I bought for 500 free crowns while on NA, is all of it region-based?

I'm still playing on the EU server for the same reason. Drop your @ name and I'll invite you to the guild if I have invite powers.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Did the Summerset balance changes improve the non-templar/warden healing like they said they intended them to?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

This is the first time I've ever seen someone complaining that race in ESO doesn't matter enough.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

doomfunk posted:

We see it a lot. And to be fair, it's not an invalid opinion, it's just not a strong design component for this franchise in particular.

I mean in contrast to most of the discussion about the game from MMO players. If you go to any ESO forum/thread and ask "Hey guys, can I play a breton stamblade?" people flip out, there are threads on the official forums all the time arguing about whether it's okay to kick people for playing the wrong race, etc. So someone saying that race doesn't matter in this game, specifically, is pretty :psyduck:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

After complaining in the discord about how messed up weaving is, I realized that my problem wasn't weaving, it was trying to alternate my finger and thumb on the same hand for those abilities.* I decided to see if I could separate out the combat keybind to help with weaving, and this worked out - if anyone else has same-hand coordination problems, give this a shot:

Rebind Attack to "E" (This is what I have used for my spammable abilities in other MMOs.)
Rebind Interact with Environment to Right-Click (This emulates other, older MMORPGs in terms of interaction.)
Rebind Block to Left Click (Left Click doesn't do anything anymore, and keeping it on left click still enables left click + right click interrupt.)

:catstare: Killing things is so much faster now.

*I had a hand injury that involved nerve damage as a kid and, while it's not enough to super impair me now, it still makes thumb + finger coordination harder than left hand / right hand coordination.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Someone give me invite powers for the EU guild so I can invite that dude.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

rainer516 posted:

Is the EU guild still active? Asking again for an invite @Rainer516 -

Tried to send an invite, but it said "Account not found." Think you are just offline? I'll try again tomorrow.

edit: send me a /tell on @madhabmatics

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Trip Report: The Belkarth apple basket method of leveling legerdemain is cool and good and works. I hit 20 Legerdemain today!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

zjentohlauedy posted:

What is this method that you speak of?

At the Belkarth docks there is an apple farm with a ton of apple baskets and some miscellaneous containers. Each basket gives 1-3 apples, and in one trip you can net 40-60 apples, in addition to whatever is in the other containers. There is only one guard.

The outlaw's den entrance is right next to the apple farm. Load screens refresh the containers, which means if you fence and leave the den the apple farm is back to normal and ready to loot again. You can easily knock out 130 sold + 130 laundered in about 10 minutes.

edit: The downside is that my crafting bag has hundreds of apples in it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If you are doing Stamblade, play a couple of rounds of battleground to unlock the stamina heal Vigor. Even if you lose a lot, it won't take long.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m curious what facts there are that support this? Not because I doubt it, but because “MMO health” seems like a difficult thing to appraise these days.

If I’m understanding it correctly, a lot (?) of long time players are quitting because the developers don’t seem interested in actually paying attention to gameplay and balancing issues.

But since it’s pretty much F2P at this point (as the base game can usually be gotten for pocket change), isn’t there a chance that the influx of new players make up for it numbers-wise?

A big problem is the gap between someone who is really good at the systems in the game and someone who is mediocre at it is so big that balance changes that are unfun and annoying for the former have a huge impact on the latter.

High level players quitting here is a bad sign because if they find it annoying, actual new players are going to find it even more annoying.

Like, even knowing how to get a Camoran Throne on new characters makes an insane difference. I just started to level a no CP alt without one and holy poo poo, I wouldn't envy anyone in that situation. I made it to level 7 before I gave in and used a third party website to find where to buy a stack at a guild AH, which I was only able to afford in a reasonable time because I already had an alt with max legerdemain.

A new player coming in, not knowing to stack one resource when leveling, not having access to decent food, not knowing how to weave, etc, is not going to have a pleasant time.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Oceanbound posted:

90% of the content in this game is easy as balls. None of this matters to the casual player.

This is exactly the difference I am pointing out. Yeah, for us it's easy.

On the other hand when Summerset came out one of the most common complaints you saw in the forums and subreddits was new players who got absolutely smashed by the first mini boss in the storyline - a boss that, if you have experience, you can pretty much sleep through.

Its easy because we already know all the weird tricks. For someone starting at 0 the game can be pretty unintuitive and confusing.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Nerd Of Prey posted:

If this were true, you'd think they would put more cool new stuff on the crown store, but they've been recycling the same old poo poo all year.

I just redownloaded last week and I was shocked that there were no new costumes in the crown store. Like, not even a rotation?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

GreenNight posted:

I hit level 50 for the firs time last week and I don't know any of this. My food sucks bad.

Is it still bad to put points into Health?

For food while leveling, if you are Magicka get Potent Witchmothers Brew and if you are Stamina get Dubious Camoran Thrones. They hugely buff your main Stat and health and make a big difference.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If you like dialogue changing based on your video game choices, definitely do Dark Brotherhood or at least join it before doing Murkmire. A couple of quests react to you being a sithis worshipper in a land of sithis worshippers.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

It's worth grinding out cooking so you can have a cheap source of the holiday food when leveling characters. You can find preset cooking ingredient lists for leveling to max, then buy Witchmothers Potent Brew and Duvious Camoran Throne recipes. These basically make you immortal while leveling, they boost your main resource and health a ton.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Started playing again. Someone give me invite privileges to the EU guild so I can invite goons on the other megaserver!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

graynull posted:

Been debating buying Greymoor as I'm a big skyrim fan and really just want more story content. I somehow bought Morrowind and Summerset despite not ever really getting into the game. Something about the combat has been hard for me to get a feel for. I'm never sure when I should be spamming skills or using light or heavy attacks. I guess it probably doesn't matter much for leveling but has made it feel awkward to get the hang of.

Also, I wish they had allowed me to start in the vanilla Coldharbor storyline. I hate starting whatever the most current expansion is and then having to run and take a boat or something to go start the main story. Feels very disjointed, but I guess I'm in the small minority on that.

The way they handle it is pretty good, imo. The original game started with you having been previously kidnapped and sacrificed. Now, no matter what tutorial you start in, you get to play through the kidnapping part instead of it just being mentioned in the cutscene.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Since quality of thieving loot scales with legerdemain, a good spot to boost legerdemain is the city next to the lake in Craglorn. You can loot like 50 apples a run in the garden and max out your fenced items in around ten minutes a day.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

kedo posted:

Speaking of this, I'm just getting back into the game and every single time I play I end up making a new character (always a Dark Elf because why not), and I've played the two starting zones to death. I don't have any of the DLC, but I have a metric ton of unspent crowns from my plus membership so I can theoretically get them – any suggestions on some different zones to try to spice things up a bit? I'm spoiled for choice, and have no idea which spot on the map to click.

First, if you have ESO Plus, there's no need to buy the DLC. You can just go and do it!

If you don't want to play the starting zones, one option is just skipping the vanilla storyline for a while and doing the next most coherent set. Morrowind -> Clockwork City -> Summerset is a good, full-narrative-feeling progression, and if you get tired of the landscape you can always skip over and do Thieves Guild, DBG, and Orsinium. Orsinium is definitely worth doing a 100% on if you like costumes, because finishing the zone and doing the optional achievements gives 4 dope looking costumes.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Der Shovel posted:

Possibly related to the same topic. I was browsing a guild's store today, looking for weapon upgrades. I happened to look at level 50 weapons, which have pretty much exactly the same damage and bonus effects as my level 25 weapon. That seems ... weird, and since gear doesn't have stats or anything on it, where the hell is the increased power going to come from in the next 25 levels?

Also, is anyone other than me playing in House Awful on the EU servers anymore? I've never seen anyone online, but this is ESO so I wouldn't put it past the game bugging out somehow.

I'm playing a StamSorc on EU - Just got to CP level 110! But i'm in the "Chill Bros European Vacation" guild that Dori made, and also I think I'm the only one that still logs in it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Der Shovel posted:

You're probably on the US servers? Do we have any good crafters active on the EU servers? I'm having a hell of a time trying to keep my magicka necromancer geared up.

What level are you? I'm still working on research, but I can craft low to mid level sets with some training
Mostly light armor though.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Scyantific posted:

Lmao the hits just keep on coming, apparently one of the ZOS affiliated streamers has been doxxing people for disagreeing with him, and the list of people doxxed includes a minor.

He got busted incredibly quick and, amusingly, the Zenimax announcement actually has more details than the gossip:

He was keeping a doxx .xls!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I use an MMO mouse and found weaving to be significantly easier when I bound basic attack to "e" instead of left mouse click - that way I wasn't trying to use my abilities and attack with the same hand.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Something that may be obvious to some people but wasn't to me:

a guild buddy clued me in that dungeon drops are bound to account and not to character.

Now I started grinding sets for my baby dps character on my healer, and it's way easier / faster.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The only things that are character bound are level up rewards and quest items. And a couple of random things just for funsies (like Sigils of Imperial Retreat, why are these char bound?). But in general things aren't character bound in the game.

I think the issue is if your baby dps character is level 20, they may have CP, but they need level 20 gear.

Maybe "baby dps" was a bit misleading. It's a fresh 50 that didn't have any set pieces yet, so I jumpstarted him straight to Tzogins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

dialhforhero posted:

Is the Greymoor expansion any good? I guess I am a sucker for Skyrim.

It and the Reach have access to Blackreach, which is an excellent underground MMO zone.