Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, can I bring the room down for a minute? The whole breakup with James was so loving stupid. So stupid. I feel like they just filtered raw unrefined CWium into this one single plot.

('Cuz the rest of it was so great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

E'rrbody's saying how Supergirl was the best premiere between itself, Flash, and Arrow...but, honestly, Supergirl was far and away the best of these three shows last year as well so really, that's no surprise.

(:smug:)

Superman's little grudge against J'onn didn't really make all that much sense when you think about 'cuz it's like...well...y'know they keep bullets where police and military work, right Clark? Bullets kill those guys too, but that doesn't mean they're...I dunno...paranoid about themselves or whatever? Still, I also kinda liked it because it reminded me a little bit of Clark's stubbornness and pride in the comics.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hey do you guys remember when I didn't like Winn? Boy was I dumb

I think I enjoyed this episode even more than the premiere (probably 'cuz there was no absurd relationship stuff). This definitely is a cartoony show, but it's really heartfelt and engaging about it, and is able to support all that schmoopy stuff by showing actual intelligence regarding its own characters.

Those Metallo boob windows got really silly, though. Just take off the shirts! They're ruined anyway!

Xelkelvos posted:

Looks like Alyx killed Corbyn
I don't think destroying the Kryptonite actually kills these guys, or else Superman wouldn't have made that great "You're gonna take some time to think about what you did" crack.

Or maybe that guy's hella dead and Clark just didn't know it :v:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 18, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Let's see if Jimmy runs the company to the ground faster than Felicity ran Palmertech to hell.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh wait yeah, what happened with that scene of Small Superman walking and talking with Big Jimmy? Could they not find a way to make Clark look big enough? :saddowns:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Now that I think about it, the weird-rear end boob window shirts were probably to hide the parts where the prosthetic chests merged into real skin. FX on a budget!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I wonder if they'll keep the Daxamite vulnerability to lead which was always kind of dumb to have someone have a allergic to lead weakness because they'd just die on earth because we literally have Lead in the Air, Water, in our Food etc..
If it goes anything like the comics, I'm sure they have him be very slowly but inevitably poisoned by all the lead on Earth over the course of the season, and just as he falls in love with Kara he'll have to leave for the Phantom Zone to save his life.

I loved this episode! The effects seem somehow even better than the last two (but then...fire is one of the less difficult effects out there). The story was coherent and resonant, with a lot of Gay (tm). I liked all of the alien-related worldbuilding that they did; National City always seemed kind of claustrophobic and insular last year, possibly because we spent so much of it in a literal cave, but with these three episodes they've been consistently establishing what type of...well, what type of Earth this is, what with the relationship between humans and aliens, between aliens and other aliens, all that. It's the sort of thoughtful worldbuilding we're not really seeing in...ah, some other comparable shows, where...oh let's say...hundreds of superhumans are suddenly introduced to an otherwise totally normal world but everyone's mostly just like, eh who cares? Just kill 'em or whatever.

I kinda wish M'gann had just transformed into a green lady with red hair but, okay, I see why they didn't do that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Heh, I thought this episode was badly-written for the most part with some nice moments sprinkled in. Still enjoyable but, like, the apex "turn off your brain" kind of hour.

I get why Maggie can't touch Roulette, but...why would Kara or Alex care about any of her legal loopholes? They don't work for the police, they work for a black ops government program. They go through their own black ops government channels. Just friggin'....I dunno, toss her in your secret prison or whatever. WHERE'S BARRY ALLEN WHEN YOU ACTUALLY NEED HIM.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The DEO seems less like ARGUS or SHIELD and more like just a secret version of the FBI, and therefor vulnerable to external pressure. Ideally they'd have the ability to deal with people who use aliens illegally as well as the aliens themselves.
Sure but like, just because pressure is being put on the police doesn't mean it gets put on the "FBI" as well; they're separate departments. The minute Maggie said her hands were tied Alex should've been like "Well, mine aren't. Sic 'em, Supergirl." If Roulette then reveals that she somehow has leverage over the DEO, aka an organization that seems to be authorized by the White House itself...well, that's another thing, but as it stands it just seems like Alex (and Kara, earlier) rolled over too easily on this front.

Urrghgg I should just stop thinking about this so hard.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

If there was anything that could've saved this James plot for me, it would've been Winn...but, sadly, I don't think even Winn is gonna be able to make me like this Guardian thing. The writing is just not there. Like, if he's so worried about James getting himself killed, why doesn't he just tell Kara? Pretty sure she could stop him.

Otherwise, really enjoyed the hilarity of this episode. The whole switching-back-between-identities thing at Lena's party...like, it wasn't even done that well, but it's still such a fun thing that I'm so glad they had it.

Speaking of which, I approve of the Luthor swerve at the end. I'm guessing they're gonna try to recapture some of the Lionel/Lex dynamic from Smallville, which (from what people tell me) is some of the better parts of Smallville.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Red vines tastes like rear end. I can't believe anyone Mon-El likes them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hmm, my personal copy of the Gay Handbook says it's a bad idea to get with people who are still in the closet, but it's okay to get with people who just came out. Maybe Maggie has a newer edition.

The actual Guardian effects are not too bad but the helmet needs like seven revisions. And I still think the writing for this plot continues to be the weakest part of the season. It practically feels like the actors are having to improv most of it to fill in the awkward moments. Which is, like, every moment.

Wasn't Mon-El supposed to be a palace guard on Planet Turtleneck Daxam? Why is he so bad at fighting?

Pretty strong episode in spite of those nitpicks, mostly due to Alex and M'gann's stuff. Ever since Glee ended I've been missing my weekly intake of delicious queer tears in my TV shows.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's because comics are dumb a lot. Also, the 50s.

On Krypton, apparently, women take the full name of their fathers as their surnames. Kara's father is Zor-El (brother of Jor-El, Superman's dad), so her name is Kara Zor-El. Her mother's name is Alura In-Ze, so presumably Kara's grandfather's first name was "In" of the House of Ze. And Superman's mother's name is Lara Lor-Van...making her father Lor of the House of Van. You get the picture.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Looks like they're upgrading the Guardian suit to something not shite but kinda Deathstrokey

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah it's not just part of the comics lore, the dwarf star key was explicitly shown last season. Watch the first season guys, it gets good. :colbert:

Also, the Batman hint was during the intro bar scene; Kara mentions that her cousin worked with a vigilante who used lots of gadgets but had a lot of demons.

Anyway, I felt like I was watching an episode of Arrow during the Guardian plot, and I don't particularly approve. Winn is making that storyline less balls, but all the same I really just...do not need it in this show. In general I feel like this episode tried to juggle a lot of things at once and most of it just barely sort of worked.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Look, she was disrupting Oliver's sense of normalcy during this alien invasion, okay? What did you expect him to do

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Mon-El might as well be that

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hahahahahahahaha this is amazing :xd:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Man, I thought this episode was way, way better than last week's. Not that last week's was particularly sub-par or anything but this one really evoked a lot of my favorite types of moments from season 1.

James' rationales are still pretty dumb, which makes me really really glad that the episode didn't end with Kara going "Lol wow you really should do this, I now see the error of my ways because of the power of friendship or something :downs:." I really like that she refused to endorse this situation by working alongside them. I would've liked it more if she had outright stopped him by, like, throwing that suit into a volcano or something...but I am kind of resigned to the fact that they're gonna force this plot through for the long haul.

Mon-El is great.

Next week looks awesome, too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Anyway..

I think this show's hitting its seasonal stride right about now; it was a bit...faffy?...earlier this season despite some occasional worthwhile moments, but the latest two episodes have both been really solid all around. I remember last season more or less hit its "smooth sailing" around the time it returned from winter break, as well.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I know someone was talking earlier how it makes comic-book universe sense for James to want to become a superhero because that's just what good people who want to be heroes do in these worlds, but it really doesn't make sense in a series that includes the likes of Alex and Maggie. If James doesn't want to be stuck behind a desk literally running one of the biggest and most influential conglomerates in the country, he can just as well apply for the DEO or a police academy.

It's doubly weird because earlier in the season he was bemoaning how Winn had found his rightful calling as a DEO agent but now they're making so that Winn's rightful calling isn't just to do helpful tech things in an office but also...doing the exact same thing...in a van...elsewhere.

The goalposts kinda keep shifting in order to make this plot functional and sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Another good episode. This show is definitely hitting its seasonal stride right now.

Selachian posted:

Luthor was just a standard-issue evil scientist originally. Then in the 1960s they did a Superboy story where Clark and Lex were pals until Clark accidentally made Lex's hair fall out. That was the origin until the 1980s when Lex was reworked into a business tycoon rather than a mad scientist, and Superboy was removed from continuity.

And then of course Smallville went back to Clark and Lex being teenage friends.
Before the New 52 reboot, the most up-to-date comics origin for Superman was the Secret Origin arc by Geoff Johns, which followed the Smallville example and had Clark and Lex as being friends from the same town. And now that Superman is the active Superman in the rebooted universe instead of its own original N52 Superman...so, technically, current comics canon Clark and Lex did indeed start out as friends.

(...Except Lex doesn't remember this because he's still the N52 Lex.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Um excuse you but what you call :airquote: available evidence :airquote: she would simply deem alternative facts

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

To be totally fair, she has spent exponentially more social time with Lena than all the time the rest of the cast have spent with Lena combined. Three months is not short amount of time, and they're hardly strangers at this point. It's not totally unreasonable for Kara to be the lone dissenting voice against everyone else here.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I did actually appreciate him bringing up Lex and Superman's relationship. It adds more background and history to this universe, reinforcing the fact that National City isn't the only city in the world and there was a lot of stuff happening before Kara ever first put on her suit. Especially since this episode was all about exploring the Luthors' history specifically.

...And then James just had to bring it all back around to himself, like, "Why don't you believe in Guardian this much, Kara??" Bitch no one cares

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'll be that guy and say that I yawned through most of this episode.

Mxy's actor was just annoying instead of comical. Both Kara and Mon-El were funnier than him. And I actually thought Kara and Mon-El's plot was annoying as well. Maybe it's 'cuz I've never liked the "They argue a lot so they must really like each other!" trope. The two of them had more chemistry imo earlier in the season when they were just being dorky and endearing with each other.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I enjoy romances on TV, I just don't like Kara and Mon-El here.

Maggie and Alex's plot was good precisely because it was understated, it was forthright, it knew what it wanted to do and did it; setup, conflict, resolution. Wham, bam, thank you ma'ams.

Kara and Mon-El are getting too convoluted for me. Sometimes they like each other. Sometimes they don't like each other. Sometimes he likes her but she doesn't like him. Sometimes she likes him but he doesn't like her. Sometimes all this get swapped in a matter of minutes. Waah, feelings are so confusing! On and on with inflating the relationship then deflating it and then purple-prosing it on her apartment couch at the end of like three episodes straight now. It's starting to remind me of the way they handled James' relationship with her last year in how needlessly twisted and drawn-out it was for a whole season, and don't think even that was ever as tangled as this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah......sorry, but I'm just gonna have to say that Kara and Mon-El's relationship continues to annoy me. They just fight all the time and this is somehow their character development or something. Also, we're going on four episodes in a row now that ended with them commiserating on that drat couch.

If the rest of the episode was particularly spectacular I'd probably be able to shrug this stuff off, but I thought it was just sort of okay.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I thought the whole newspaper thing was really dumb but for the simple question of why the heck do they need to publish this incredibly vital information in a loving fashion magazine article? The DEO is a clandestine operation but they're still government-affiliated; just have the military release the information! Heck, Supergirl herself can just announce what she knows on Youtube and literally everyone would believe her!

Still, this episode was saved by how badass Alex was. That part where it seemed like Alex was bluffing about the explosives and Lillian was smugly calling her on the bluff and then it turns out lol Alex really did plant bombs everywhere is going to go down as one of my favorite moments of this show.

e: Oh, and take a shot. If we omit the last-second teaser of the Daxamites, this is going down as the fifth episode in a row that's ended with Kara and Mon-El having an apartment powwow. :doom: I'm not gonna let this go, all.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 7, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I suspect Kara will probably get her job back whenever they can wrangle Calista Flockhart back for an appearance. Gotta employ that sweet, sweet nepotism.

Licarn posted:

Supergirl could have dropped in on a live news broadcast, said her piece and flew away again. News channels would have played the clip on repeat for days.
It's not even like it was such an outrageous unbelievable story! "Terrorists who have been caught doing terrorism about to do some more, according to person whose job is literally to stop them." She ain't leaking White House phone calls!

It's still just ridiculous that they needed to go to Catco to get this out. Forget even having Supergirl or the military release this information; why can't the police just tell people?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked this episode! Surprisingly strong...well, not surprisingly strong, but just strong writing and performances from everyone.

It's too bad neither Mon-El or Kara have watched the Princess Diaries in their little marathons, or else they'd know how important it is for him to return and lead his people towards a more compassionate way of life or whatever.

TOMORROW: :toot:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

These CW and CWish shows are pretty awful at writing engaging relationships and romances and so the show's love interests, usually female, tend to get the brunt of those annoyances. Looking back on these multiple threads over the course of the past five years, it's amazing to see characters like Laurel, then Iris, then Felicity get the exact same "she's such a terrible character, just kill her off" rage parades for the exact same reasons.

That being said, it takes a special kind of...mindset, I guess...to waltz into a Supergirl thread and go on about killing off female characters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This unironically

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, humans...who want to bang aliens...go to that bar too. Everyone probably just thinks she wants to bang an alien! Which is technically true

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:golfclap:

(...:smith:)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Also as far as I can recall Mon-El and Supergirl were never a thing in the comics.
If I recall right there was a very brief sort-of flirtation during the New Krypton year when both of them were on Earth doing...something. Or I might have imagined that.

So I should admit that I sort of fell out of watching this show after the musical crossover, but I just watched this finale now and I thought it was really drat good. Very much better than last year's...hell, one of the strongest cap-offs to a season of anything I can recall, managing to incorporate a lot of elements from throughout this year (except for James...sigh, poor James) and doing it well. This feels more like the Supergirl show hitting its stride that's impressed me so much before, so I'll probably catch up on the episodes I missed soon.

:toot:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Clark skimped out on all that sparring practice he could've had at the DEO with an extra aggro sister. And he keeps blowing off Batman every time Batman tries to teach him how to fight right.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Nah, everything since 1985 has him having learned how to fight to better use his abilities.
But...but he's so small.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There are some showrunner shake-ups for this show announced today. Not really sure what any of it will mean for anything. General gist is that previous co-showrunner Ali Adler is now just a consultant because she has another gig, and two people I don't know have her old job. Andrew Kreisberg is still himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, it's not so much that Daxamites are allergic to lead as it is that lead is a sort of Kryptonite to them. It's why bullets will go right through them, even though they're superpowered under a yellow sun.

In the comics the condition is amplified to the point that no Daxamites can actually stay on Earth in the longterm, even if a magic lead-making machine hadn't dosed the atmosphere with lead. Even in the show you can surmise that the reason Daxamites aren't as powerful as Kryptonians is because of all the lead on Earth.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 25, 2017