Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The shirt-melting kryptonite beams were pretty goofy, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tree Dude posted:

In the past has Kara left scenes by way of weirdly slow completely vertical takeoff? They did it like 4 times this episode and every time I thought "that looked a little cheap..."

Seems like all they'd have to do is speed her up like 33% and it would look a lot better. As it is it seems like she's just putting her arms up in the air and someone is lifting her out of the frame.

Haha yeah I've noticed that. It looks pretty dumb. She definitely used to do a more dynamic jump

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

howe_sam posted:

It's the little prance she does as she's absconding with the whiskey that sells it.

Loved this, also loved her stealing Winn's beer and him just completely accepting it and not trying to put up a fight. Winn is perfect as the annoying but loveable little brother.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah, in a lot of ways Supergirl is lucky that Kara doesn't have a destined love interest the Flash or Arrow. I mean, in both cases they found ways around it, and I think Barry/Iris are in a good place right now for that show, but man does CW shipping drama suck.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love how CatCo magazine somehow has a "front page" to put a story on, despite the fact that we see a standee of the cover and it's your standard fashion magazine cover with a model and some floating headlines. And apparently it's also National City's "paper of record"? Is it a magazine or a newspaper? Make up your minds!

If they just modelled it on something like The Atlantic or even the New Yorker it would work. Then it would be a magazine with a focus on in-depth investigative reporting and features which works with the kinds of stories Kara wants to write, instead of this bewildering mish-mash of daily news and monthly fashion mag.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm sure someone's already done just that.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The episode was front-loaded with some boring relationship drama, but god did I love Teri Hatcher hamming it up in every scene.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

People enjoy a thing in a certain way, get really invested in that way of enjoying the thing, then someone involved in making the thing makes light of their enjoyment and they thing they're being mocked and take it very personally.

I mean, I think the reaction is completely dumb and overblown, but that's what's going on if you're trying to understand it. Some of these people are teenagers which helps to explain it, but a lot of them are adults, which just makes it more bewildering lol.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

hahaha I just noticed the title change

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Loved the Nolan Batman references with the scene of Reign attacking the gang members.

Also, almost a Man of Steel reference with Reign & Supergirl crashing through that office building.

BrianWilly posted:

Man, I've really been enjoying this Reign storyline.

Totally agree. They did a good job making you like Sam a lot, and an even better job making Reign pretty terrifying with that last fight.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My dream for this show is that Sam ends up becoming Superwoman, but I dunno if they'd do that. But I really like her, I agree with everyone else that I'm super invested in her and her story.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Alex has always been supremely unethical about using her authority to protect people she cares about, so using her FBI badge to terrify a literal child is completely in character and loving hilarious.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Rhyno posted:

TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF

the voice of the audience

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Winn and Lyra's relationship is kinda iffy the more we know about Winn's background with an abusive father.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Seems like James' story from his childhood draws from Mehcad Brooks' real life experience:

quote:

The writers and I got together, and we kinda broke the story together in some ways. I was able to tell my first experience with racism, when I was 7 years old. The freedom that they gave me to be able to tell that story, it was beyond what I thought writers were capable of. Allowing an actor to infiltrate the character in that way. I honestly have never experienced a television show, or a film, that spoke about race so eloquently. Not just the frustration or the bitterness that it can cause, but the sadness and confusion that it can cause to a 7-year-old kid. We don’t frame the debate this way, but we should. Racism, just like sexism, is one of the earliest forms of bullying, right? It’s just becoming acceptable because it’s ingrained in our culture. To have something that’s so superheroic happening, and then all of a sudden, “Oh no, he might to have to unmask,” then to bring it back to this really grounded place, was incredible for me. It was one of the highlights of my career.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/21/supergirl-mehcad-brooks-guardian-identity/

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's really funny that Kara was all "it was wrong to kill Reign!" so instead she... consigns her to oblivion? Or something? Kind of unclear what was going on there. But "I don't kill" is always an incredibly annoying line in the sand for superhero shows to draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

VictorianQueerLit posted:

"J'onn, it's time for me to seek me own path in life. I have to quit to see what I can be and who I really am."
"Hahaha, gently caress you I called dibs on the soul searching journey bitch, you've got my job now. PEACE."

This was my favourite bit. J'onn you jerk!!