Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

At least with the Steels, the original was a golden age character who wasn't in use so "Steel" was relatively safe. Citizen Steel was a reference to that golden age character though and Steel was at least not MIA or anything so that was odd in that regard.

Some of the similarly used names were because of DC basically making new characters with old names as Silver Age reinventions as traditional (at the time) superhero comics hit a decline post-war. The silver age reinventions were a way to capitalize on the sci-fi trends of the era.

Shade and Shade, the Changing Man are probably the oddest pair of unrelated characters who were both reinvented in the 90s. The former was a recurring, though relatively minor Flash villain who appeared in both the golden and silver age and was also a foe of Starman. The latter was originally created by Steve Ditko in the 70s and then was cancelled after several issues. The former reappeared in '94 and reinvented as a mentor for the new Starman while the latter showed up as a Vertigo series as a more bizarre and reality bending version of himself that was reborn a lot.

I always think of Shade the Changing Man alongside Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Some talented writer came along and picked up an old forgotten character and made them something super new and interesting while not actually changing or invalidating any of the old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vietnamwees posted:

I kept seeing that image on Instagram and I just now realized that it's Melissa Benoist.

I feel like if you didn't recognize Melissa Benoist, that would be a confusing sign

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They made such a big deal about his new contract that would let him show up anywhere, but then barely used him. I'd bet that that meant he had to leave his schedule open the entire time the shows were filming, which must've sucked.