Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This was REALLY good, and served as a nice breather between big dramatic episodes.

Martian Manhunter showing up was my favorite bit, just because he plays the father figure role so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The second half of this season has been a mess plot wise, but I can't deny I'm excited for the finale.

Martian Manhunter, Martian Dadhunter, Guardian, Supergirl, Alura, Alex, Mon-el, and what looks like a returning Legion all fighting together? Sign me up.

But man, it's like they keep rewriting the show from week to week or something. First it's Reign and the 2 other Worldkillers as the big bads. Then just a super charged Reign. Then it's the 3 evil Kryptonians plus Reign, who I think is still super charged, and now she has a sword. Why not just stick with Reign and the 2 Worldkillers and have one evil Kryptonian come from Argo City?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Yeah but Reign is basically dead. I know "greatest prison imaginable blah blah blah trapped inside the mind palace or whatever" but she's dead.

This was definitely a season of ups and downs. There was a lot of stuff I loved, everything with the Martian Dadhunter and J'onn, Alex getting to do some cool stuff, the initial introduction of Reign and the Worldkillers (especially the fight where Reign just beat the poo poo out of Supergirl), and basically everything with the Legion. But on the flip side you had the seemingly NEVERENDING changes in the main villain, weird pacing issues that robbed a lot of the drama and tension, the bizarre re-introduction of Argo City, and Morgan Edge just kind of disappearing without having a real character arc besides "this dude seems evil, yeah he is but just in a Republican way, not a super demonic evil way".

I am pretty excited for next season though. Russian Supergirl, J'onn finding his humanity (maybe as a detective like in the comics?), Alex as director of the DEO, and Brainy on the main team are all super interesting to me. I really hope Lena isn't for real evil, though.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Argue posted:

Don't worry, when CoIE merges the earths in 2019 then they can all team up against Darkseid for Final Crisis 2020.

5 years ago I'd call this completely crazy. Now? I'm hoping they'll call Michael Ironside to voice a CGI Darkseid that Superman beats by whistling.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Avalerion posted:

What was the point of slowing down the universe, think I missed that bit.

Slowed down Deegan's reality rewriting to the point that Superman could catch up to him before presumably being erased or rewritten himself.

Also a very good Superman: The Movie reference.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I was 100% sold on TV Superman from this crossover. When he saw the Book of Destiny and was like "Oh yeah I've seen that before", then had no issues reading it later? That's my Superman.

And when Lois showed up with that hammer from the Cosmic Anvil? Knowing that this Superman is just hammering white dwarfs in his Fortress? Oh hell yeah, he's my Superman.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Phylodox posted:

All the shows are staying, but the casts are being rearranged. Tune in next season for Supergirl, starring Dominic Purcell as Supergirl.

This would 100% be the best thing to happen. Brandon Routh as the Flash, Grant Gustin as Lena Luthor, and Melissa Benoist as Green Arrow. Please make this happen.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The Elite started with a good idea (let's bust up fascists and Nazis) but took things too far almost immediately. They've turned themselves into murderers and thieves, and I think Manchester is the only one who actually still thinks they're the good guys at this point. Menagerie is definitely just using the moral high ground as an excuse to steal, murder, and get revenge.

If they had managed to destroy the White House they would have thrown the entire world into disorder and probably started World War 3. At that point every single death would be on their hands, and it would mostly be innocent schmucks like us dying, not the people who are actually the problem.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I was dreading John Cryer as Luthor but he rocked it.

I knew from the beginning that he was being manipulative, but I was still a bit shocked it was as evil as "I shot your ex so you'd test this stuff on him, then shut off the power because he wasn't dying fast enough to push you."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

bring back old gbs posted:

it was soooooooo bad lol

It was bizarrely bad, especially because the rest of the episode looked pretty dang good and the CGI work overall has been pretty solid this season.

Was it just because it was shiny or something?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Speaking of J'onn, I am worried they are going to write him out or kill him since his char arc is basically complete. :ohdear: Or maybe I've just watched too many tv shows.

Move him to Legends after Crisis on Infinite Earths. This is my solution for any side character who starts to feel superfluous, but it would work amazingly for him. Give him his Choco addiction from the comics to add a bit of humor and he's golden.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

LongDarkNight posted:

Nia making constant bad jokes is good.

I love that she's doing the puns and is 100% committed to them. I also freaking love the gauntlets that convert dream energy or whatever into physical things. It's dumb as hell but those whips were pretty sweet. She's been a really good addition to the cast.

And Kara's low-key superheroics are always super fun, especially discrete ice breath.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Aleph Null posted:

Ben Lockwood is so cartoonishly, mustache-twirlingly evil that you'd think he was a comic book villain.

Or a current member of the Republican party.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Vietnamwees posted:

Well, as far as I can tell, this is the first time they gave him his human form, which BTW I find it VERY suspicious that they made him a black man as well.

For a lot of kids growing up, there weren't any black characters in comics or cartoons. But if somebody was an alien? They had similar struggles with fitting in, people stereotyping them, feeling like you had to pretend to be someone else.

Any Martian they show on Supergirl is played by a black actor or actress for this reason.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

He vaporized him with the magic Mars staff thing. Just say he didn't die but rather was trapped in the Martianforce and his consciousness found its way out. Hire me, CW.

In the comics (at least the last Superman comics I read) he was able to transport his mind into other bodies and Superman trapped him in a cow. I was *really* hoping to find out he pulled a similar mindswap trick last season but I guess not.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I've been kind of "meh" on this season overall, but oh man J'onn reconciling with his brother is exactly the kind of stuff I'm all in for. I just love the J'onn is such a well-realized character on this show. He could easily just be backup punch support for Kara, but he gets to have his own set of supporting characters and plotlines and everything.

I'm glad that we got a little bit of Leviathan revealed, too. Mitch Pileggi rules and I'm glad he's getting lots of TV work after the X-Files return ended so awfully.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Weren't there rumors of a Legion of Super Heroes show coming out of Crisis? It'd be kind of cool to have that with her and Brainy as the leads.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The VR stuff last night was the first time I didn't mind it in the show. It was so far into science fiction territory and constantly portrayed as a bad thing that I was willing to finally suspend disbelief for it.

Who was the old woman at the end? My comic book nerd sense started tingling, but there's no way they're going to introduce Granny Goodness and the New Gods..... are they?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I hope they show Jeremiah's death and it's a shot-for-shot recreation of the end of Naked Gun using a very obvious dummy in place of Dean Cain.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Yeah, I think she's just some kind of techno-organic being, but Mitch Pileggi was definitely just a dude (who could turn into rock).

They probably have some kind of, I dunno, nano-machines that come out of their ship to keep them immortal and that's what Lex is targeting. I'm still not really sure what Leviathan is, besides two old god-beings and a bunch of randos that work for them.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I *really* enjoyed Lex's little bit of a shaky hand when he realized he had the opportunity to go into the Fortress of Solitude. Dude's an addict, and he's addicted to screwing with Kryptonians.

I also assume that's going to backfire on him at some point, since he seems poised to pretty easily succeed in all his plans right now.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I dug it, although you could definitely tell there were a few moments where some pieces were missing or re-arranged. Those other two Leviathan members just kinda showing up was a little weird, but they looked pretty freaking cool in action.

Waiting til January to find out if Brainy makes it, though, that's gonna be rough.

I'm also entirely onboard with Lex being able to outsmart everyone, that's kind of his thing and I much prefer this kind of Lex to a Lex in a battlesuit that's reduced to just another person that the Supers need to punch to overcome. Obviously he's going to screw up at some point, probably through his own greed or vanity, and it's gonna be great.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

It's 2021 and Transilvane was mentioned on a primetime TV show. Hell yeah.

Really fun episode in general. Luthor's trial was goofy, but (let's face it) it's not much goofier than anything we actually saw in the impeachment trials.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I feel like these were two of the best episodes in the entire show's run, really great stuff and Brainy and Dreamer need a spin off show immediately.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

It was really nice getting to see the Martian Manhunter do some cool stuff, it's been a little while.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"For me this entire room is filled with... balloons?!"

This was low-key my favorite part of the episode and I'm glad that there's been some more humor injected back into the show lately. These are fun characters, they're allowed to have fun every so often!

I did enjoy seeing Kelly pick up that hunk of door like a shield. I assume that's gonna pay off later this season, maybe she finds Jimmy's old Guardian gear?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

This show could be a huge mess at times, with plot developments that seemed to happen off screen and leaps in logic that made no sense. But the cast was amazing and charming, it was fun to see characters like Brainiac 5 and Mon-El on TV, and when the show was good it was REALLY good.

I think this finale was good. Weird to kind of shunt off Nyxly and Lex, but presumably they want to keep them open to appear in future shows? Also weird that Mon-El was basically just "welp, i won't be seeing you again" and leaves.

Like, are we getting some kind of Legion of Superheroes show? Or a crossover dealing with them? It feels like that was heavily set up, between Mon-El's weirdness, Brainy and Dreamer, and even Lex talking about spending time in the 31st century and now getting shoved back into the Phantom Zone.

That said, I loved the wedding, it was great to see so many old characters pop up, and I really like Kara revealing her identity to the world. If you're gonna go out, go out with a big thing like that so if we ever revisit this world, it's fundamentally different and interesting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I fully admit I give this show a lot of leeway, but it's never really been about the plot to me. There are so many weird dropped plots and abrupt changes in characterization from the beginning of the show, I never really expect satisfying conclusions in that regard. Just look at stuff like Reign, or Leviathan, or the Legion of Superheroes, or Morgan Edge.

But I do like all of the actors, I think the show nails small character interactions, and they know how to do heart-warming moments. That's what the wedding was to me, a perfect summation of the strengths of the show.