Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
No Lena, the worst you was after Lex came up and told you that your totally not gay crush Kara was Supergirl. Shooting him was a morally correct decision, Lex is a threat to not just humanity, but reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Anyone seen Mortal Kombat yet? Mechad Brooks in it and he's uh...

...he's HUGE.

I knew he sounded familiar!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

His arms so just fuckin enormous.

I'm pretty thrilled to see Brooks getting solid work after Supergirl, I always thought he was underused.

Too bad the movie suuuuuuuuuuucks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

It's an enormous trash fire.

Its better than Annihilation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish I was half as good looking as Jessie Rath did in that suit.
2009 wasn't that long ago. Assure me it wasn't that long ago.

Mia singing 9-5 is pretty great. Also glad they had Kara have a boyfriend rather than some Milhouse that followed her around that she had to deal with.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 5, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

This episode is nothing but a string of big declarative sentences.

You can't just have your characters announce how they're feeling! That makes me very angry!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched the last two episodes yesterday and I loved the second part of the 2009 episode, though it being only 2009 made me feel really old. That was still 10+ years ago dang. I do like how they didn't make the guy that hangs around with Kara be her actual boyfriend and not just her hanger on that's totally in love with her but she's oblivious.

The second one was pretty crummy until Brainy being afraid of balloons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jassa posted:

Oh, they're bringing Dean Cain back after all?

Dean Cain AND Kevin Sorbo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

I'm extremely not excited but this show returns Tuesday.

If I didn't have such a crush on Melissa Benoist i probably wouldn't bother.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

She’s the only reason I’ve kept up on it.

Also Doom Patrol comes back soon and that’s where all my hype is right now.

Exactly. I cannot wait to see Candlemaker go down.

jassa posted:

This, but Nicole Maines 😍

I know I'm not super straight because I totally agree with you.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jassa posted:

I mean, if you're a straight guy and you're attracted to a woman who happens to be trans, that doesn't make you any less straight. :)

Edit: Ah, I just realised you probably meant 'super straight' as in the bullshit transphobic sexuality.

Yea I was mocking those douches being all "I am only horny for real women!!".

She has amazing hair when she's Dreamer. Also I didn't know Nicole Maines was the subject of a landmark case involving Trans students rights.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Supergirl is now a childrens level issues show?

It might as well have a bit at the end where Kara comes out and tells you "remember to separate your paper types!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean it was never subtle in its handling of Big Issues

The one with the killer murdering Trans people and the cops being "eh who cares?" was pretty solid, but most of the time they feel like a Captain Planet episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiggum posted:

The most powerful people on the planet being told that time is running out to do anything about climate change and going "That sounds bad. Someone should probably do something about that, at some point." and then carrying on as usual is pretty realistic tbh.

"Yea we should really do something about that, but we have to consider the effects on the stock market" is what non insane leaders say. The insane ones just deny it or assume its not a problem because Jesus is going to come back tomorrow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm confused about the folded American flag in Alex and Kelly's apartment. Aren't those given to family members who have had someone die in military service? Who died? It seems weird set dressing to have randomly in an apartment. It would be like having an Oscar just there. Something that specific needs an explanation.

I guess maybe Dean Cane died?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

They did, it's either for Kelly's dad, who they established was a soldier who died in Desert Storm back in like season 2, or Kelly's former fiancée who was also a soldier and died on a patrol.

Oh I completely forgot about that stuff. That makes complete sense.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jassa posted:

But yeah they killed off Dean Cain's character offscreen early last season. Heart attack while overseas doing humanitarian work.

For a show that's pretty progressive, they have had 2 well known washed up chud actors on it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

And killed them off once they got really bad

Kevin Sorbo was a well known shithead chud before he was on Supergirl. I think Dean Cane on relatively recently started being lovely? Like most of his stuff has been direct to video/streaming talking animal family movies.

Waiting for them to have James Woods on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Killer robot posted:

Dean Cain was pretty openly bad when the show started but I understand he couldn't really rein it in on the job like they hoped when casting him for being a former Superman.
Sorbo was pretty clearly a role intended to die over the course of the season either way.

That's pretty lovely for Cane. Imagine being worse than Kevin Sorbo?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiggum posted:

Andrea and William were talking to Kara right in front of a picture of Supergirl. The whole idea that people can't identify these super heroes is absurd and dumb and the show should really not be drawing attention to it.

I think Kara blends in better than Clark. Supergirl is this glamorous blond, who wears a red cape and a form hugging body suit. Kara Danvers looks like a woman who's facebook relationship status has her married to her cat and has a masters in library science. They are real good at making her look pretty plain and unremarkable, which is pretty hard when you're dealing with one of the most attractive people on TV.

But yea, one of the big concets of superheroes is that people can't tell when a superhero is right in front of them if they're wearing glasses or a hat.

Also, you'd think Nia would have a doctors note that she has narcolepsy to explain her falling asleep every so often due to her powers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If the reason of the episodes were bad PSAs, i'd be pretty happy.

I really love how everyone just trusts everything Nyxi says without a second thought.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 10, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, I've met a lot of people from Newfoundland, and not one of them sounded like anyone in that episode, also its Newfundlund, you do not pronounce it like a sentence.

Also it feels a big late in the series to introduce an entirely new power set for Lena.

But this episode had a kitty so not all bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

Kelly as Guardian seems like they should have either done it much sooner or not at all because this is pretty late in the game to add another hero to an already overstuffed team. Especially one that doesn't exactly bring anything new to the table.

Yea, its like the Lena is magic plot, should have been done last season at the latest.

I do give them props for not having a Evil Kryptonian as the main villain for the end of the series, Even if Nyxie is kinda meh really.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It feels a bit like they just don't give a gently caress and let the writers do whatever they want, and rather than doing a bunch of wacky one off episodes, they decided to do all the subplots they had dreamed of for earlier seasons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how my cable box died when I tried to watch the latest episode. It's like the universe is trying to keep me from watching this bad show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The idea you have to work in an office to be a reporter is pretty hilarious in the time this show has been on the air. Kara should have just become a blogger or a Podcaster. She could just talk with herself and claim it was an interview with supergirl.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I guess the last couple of episodes of Batwoman were okay too.

I saw an ad for Batwoman being all "OMG Alice is back!" and my plan on watching this season when everything else was hiatus during the holidays was scrubbed. Yea, its been like 5 episodes, don't celebrate bringing back a character. It just reaffirmed someone on the writing staff is really attached to Alice and thinks they created a great all time villain. It felt like that with Nyxi too, she was fun in the Phantom Zone but outside of it she was just a frustrating villain because she didn't actually succeed due to being clever, but the writers just deciding she's going to win. Most of the way she got the totems was just popping up and taking it from whomever got it, or forcing them to give it up. Or just the heroes being dumb.

But even with all its dumbness the show still could give you positive feelings, it was uplifting and upbeat, something that honestly is really needed now because the world is poo poo and a lot of entertainment seems to still focus on people being miserable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It is pretty impressive that they decided that Kara would end the series single.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:rip: William. You died as you lived: kinda useless but very handsome.

With a great accent, but did they say he was from India before his last episode?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

He mentioned he had Indian ancestry, then he died.

Yea I was wondering if he said anything about it before he got blasted by Lex.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jassa posted:

I think we're all just focusing on the positives because that's what we want to remember about the show. It had a lot of heart but not much of a brain.

Like a big old dumb dog that's just the biggest sweetheart even if it keeps walking into the sliding door to the backyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Norwegian Rudo posted:

But... She hasn't been gone?

Really? That makes that promotion even weirder.