Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Strongest premiere of the CW shows at this point, and I doubt Legends will knock this from its throne. Really good. Absurdly enjoyable Superman. They knew exactly what they were doing getting a smiling, joking, winking Superman on TV.

You can see the cracks where they patched over the move to CW, though. MOST of them weren't terrible (moving the DEO, moving Winn) but the Kara/Jimmy thing was particularly poorly handled. I'm really hoping that they undid those two for a good reason and give us no drama over it.

I'm guessing Cat is having a soul-searching moment and will go off on a bunch of grand adventures to reduce her role on the show, and moving Winn out of CatCo means we probably won't see the office set much after this.

What happened to Lucy? Wasn't she assigned as director of the DEO? Are they just quietly retconning that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Klungar posted:

So L Corp is going to be attacked by Mr (Kryptonite-Powered) Robot?

I appreciate this.

Rumor was that Peter Facinelli (Maxwell Lord) had some episodes in S2 but I don't think there's been anything serious beyond that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Such a good episode and Supergirl remains the best of the CW superhero shows. I like Fun Superman and hope he gets a few more appearances this season, but I'm glad it only took two episodes to get him to leave and leave the focus on Kara.

If this tone and quality can be kept up after Superman's out of the picture then I think the show got a decent bit better after the move.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Looking forward to Mon-El getting shot by lead bullets and thrown into the phantom zone to save his life.

Wonder if they have the budget left to do an episode set in the 31st Century and show Mon-El with the Legion. Make THAT the super-crossover and I'd be happy.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Fun episode and I'm glad the loss of Tiny Clark hasn't drained momentum. Double happy that, so far, Kara shrugged off the Jimmy relationship thing and they've remained professional and friends without any "oh did I make the right decision" crap. I'm hoping they keep Lena at face value given they already did the "tech billionaire becomes a kinda-villain" plot last year.

How does Kara know about Daxam? She left right before Krypton blew, so knowing the exact details of what the explosion did to Daxam seems a bit odd. Same with Hank knowing. I can't imagine it as having been information in Fort Rozz's database either given it was in the Phantom Zone during Krypton's destruction.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
The Jimmy thing is a pretty logical conclusion of the character's arc on the show. The only reason Jimmy was added was to strengthen the whole Superman vibe to ease people into the show (and, I guess, relationship drama) but the character really doesn't serve much of a purpose. I'm interested in the concept, but I worry that both the writers and the actor will be able to pull it off.

Rest of the episode was pretty great. Can't get enough of Kara stuffing her face with all the snacks and for once relationship drama doesn't feel quite so eye-rolling. Digging Mon-El not getting Earth culture and trying to eat all the food and nail all the girls is kinda funny.

I feel like Winn had a bit of a downgrade this season, going from best friend, confidant and tech guy (and early last season love-sick puppy) to basically ONLY the tech guy. He exists to show up, quip a bit and solve the episode problem with technobabble. I prefer that to the moping over Kara poo poo early last season but the character feels diminished a lot this season.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Episode was pretty good save for a few small things.

Put some color on that suit, Jimmy. Blue and Gold preferably, but it's way way too monotone at this point. I'm guessing that since he took it out early they'll settle that later, but it looked too bland.

When Guardian deflects the first blow and sends Parasite reeling looked really, really lovely. I get that the shield probably has some vibranium ultra-reflective unobtainium, but Jimmy just holds his arm up and there's no impact or movement. A big part of making CG not suck is the little details like that.

Jimmy not coming clean about his identity as Guardian is just... crappy. I don't buy any reason he could have for keeping it from her after all the stuff they've gone through together and individually. It's just a dick move for added drama. Bonus points that Winn deliberately put lead in it just to keep Kara from spying him apparently and then has a "we're not going to tell Kara?" moment. Seriously, why else did you put lead in there? Probably so he punches Mon El at some point and infects him.

Kara drunk was the best thing all season, though. And Chyler Leigh remains a high point of acting.

We're getting actual Cyborg Superman, right? So if Guardian is a Steel analog and Mon El is a Superboy analog, are we getting Eradicator also?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Speculation based on next episode's spoilers: PLEASE let Dean Cain be Cyborg Superman. PLEASE make this happen.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
It works a lot better with Power Girl and her running Starr Enterprises and being in charge. I get that they were deliberately trying to capture some of the feel of Superman of course, but it's a pretty outdated notion in general - having secret identities.

All things considered, Kara's life wouldn't really be impacted all that much if she just gave up on a secret identity. Everyone important to her knows now anyway. I realize that a lot of it is trying for some sense of normalcy in life but overall just being Kara Danvers, Supergirl wouldn't really change her life.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
And funny to think Ackles was going to be a recurring character on Smallville until he landed Supernatural and they did an abrupt faceturn with the character and killed him off between seasons. Best possible career move for that dude.

Those photos of Welling in the gym were pretty awesome, though. Dude bulked the gently caress up and I'd like to see him do something like Superman, even just a cameo. He wasn't all that bad of an actor on episodes where they gave him poo poo to do (Red K, body swap, etc).

Plus we already got Smallville Supergirl on the show so maybe that's all we need from those alumni.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Ackles was a recurring on Smallville for all of season 4.

And Welling was a huge rear end on and off the set. There was a goon who worked as a PA on Smallville and told stories of how much everyone hated him and what a jackwagon he was to his costars and fans. He deserves his lack of a career.

Right. My point was he was slated to return in S5 and onward until he died off screen and moved to a better show.

I remember that post. Welling stayed in his trailer gaming unless coerced, Kruek was nice and quiet but always reading, and I think Rosenbaum was always joking with the crew. It painted Welling as a huge spoiled man baby.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it is. The synopsis of the Arrow episode of the crossover sees Oliver, Thea, Sara, Diggle and Ray getting Matrix'd by the Dominators for a good chunk of it. The trailer kind of confirms that too. Sorry.

Aliens put the main characters in a virtual reality. So, the plot of Saints Row IV. Give me Vice President Keith David and I'll be happy.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
On one hand Guardian is nice because Jimmy in S1 was basically defined by his relationships with either Kara or Lucy - and now the show is on the CW, which itself is practically defined by having relationship crap all over the place, so it was a nice move. Plus it gave Mehcad Brooks something somewhat useful to do.

On the other hand it's mostly annoying in actual execution and poorly though out in terms of whether or not a photographer actually has the skills to do it. I hope it's leading somewhere interesting otherwise I'd really rather it get shelved for more alien/robot/whatever plots.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I like that Hank passively reads Alex's mind enough to know she's into chicks before she even knows it but somehow never bothered to check to see if Lena was actively in cahoots with her mother or not. When they specifically called back to his mind reading I was sure he was going to put it all to rest by reading Lena but nope.

Hopefully we've not put the whole "Kara is upset with James being Guardian" thing to rest and move on.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
So a direct shot at the deportation issue AND the media's culpability in electing Trump? A little on the nose, but hard to hate an episode with Alex kicking absurd amounts of rear end and looking good doing it.

Also funny they stole a direct quote from Lois and Clark in an episode with both Lois and Clark appearing on screen. "Supergirl is what I can do; Kara is who I am." That was straight out of the old 90s show.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Ravi, no!

I'm going to laugh when Teri Hatcher is just straight up shot to end her plot. Mon El as well, though he'll get tossed into the Phantom Zone and that's when Zod will break free or something.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
That was really good. Strong production values as well - about as good as you can get on a TV budget with superpowered heroes throwing each other through walls and into barriers. I've almost become used to the blur effect they use for transitioning during fights or flights, but it looked pretty good overall. I was worried when the CW move was announced but I think this was a much stronger season overall.

Except for Jimmy. Still a wet fart of a character arc, and he got 5 seconds of screen time in the finale? I like Mehcad Brooks, but they need to figure out what to do with Jimmy or just let him go the way of Lucy Lane and Maxwell Lord.

I like that the way the show ended it looked like Cat Grant was coming back full time - I have hope they can work out a deal with Flockhart and get her for more than four episodes next year.

That was totally a Boom Tube.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I'm very okay with Durance showing up on the show but, yeah, that's weird that they couldn't come up with a way to write around the absence and simply give Durance another part. See what happens, but very odd.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
As one of the three people that truly love Superman Returns, I really liked that opening of her listening. And while the CG was a bit dodgy with the water, that shot of her lifting the sub was money.

So glad this show is back.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
As someone who defends Smallville and watched every drat episode live, I really loved this episode.

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that it's a weird lead in to the pilot. I get that Martian Manhunter's little speech helped her feel she needed to abandon her powers, but it's odd to go from the sisters bonding like that over being detectives, solving a few cases, and using powers to save lives - to Alex joining the DEO in secret and never telling her sister at all.

Some absurdly good casting. I hope they keep those two on retainer for a few other flashback stories.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Just the other day Welling was on Michael Rosenbaum's "Inside of You" podcast and it's moderately interesting to see some of their thoughts on the show.

Lex and Clark's early relationship (first 5 seasons) is about the only really compelling thing about Smallville. The teases were fun as a Superman fan, but Lex being a friend that could have been a force for good and defied the sins of his father but was instead corrupted basically by the father of Superman is a GOOD story. Jonathan Kent's hatred helping push Lex away, all of Clark's lies setting it in stone - it was good. It was well done. You had Schneider and Glover as two great actors helping it along.

And then after that everything just sucked. Once Lex went evil, got rid of the dads, and brought the Lex/Clark story to its conclusion the show had blown its wad and was pointless. Coupled with the fact that WB bound the hands of the show a lot (Lois can't be on the show; okay she can be but not a reporter or interested in Clark; etc) and that it had to do knockoff versions of future villains (Doomsday, ugh), it just fell apart. The core of the first five seasons is strong, although full of monster of the week poo poo and some really bad acting/plots. A tighter, faster version of the same story would be great.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 17, 2017

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Great episode, but the best part of the episode was clearly William Katt as the preacher. Greatest American Hero was a staple of my childhood.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah I need an episode where Alex gets Kara's powers for a day at this point. Maybe Winn as well for the comedy option but I want to see Alex kicking but with super strength.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I love how Supergirl is all like "upgrade her lovely, locked-up-forever-no-parole cell to one with a window" and Psi actually looks like that was an olive branch of friendship or something.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Delany is 62. Durance is 40. Benoist is 30. Kara was stuck in the Phantom Zone for "years" so it works that they're closer in age.

Wouldn't that work opposite? Kara's mom should have aged normally, but Kara was stuck in the Phantom Zone for 24 years. So Kara should be closer to 45 - 50 years old making Alura like 70ish without any time shenanigans.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
It seems Sam Witwer will be joining up next season as Agent Liberty, and in a season regular role.

https://tvline.com/2018/07/17/supergirl-season-4-spoilers-sam-witwer-agent-liberty/

I dig Sam Witwer a lot, even his stuff on Smallville so I'm okay with the addition.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I still vote Hartley plays the in-universe movie version of Oliver that recounts his story on the island.

But a Rosenbaum Lex would absolutely blow everything out of the water. I'm sure he's free since Impastor was canceled.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

I'd be happy with a single appearance. He's clearly come around on his time on Smallville as he and Welling have buried the hatchet. Hell Welling's done so much to try and distance himself from the douche he was 10 years ago that I would be okay with seeing him pop up eventually. But only as a villain. A shame they already used Zod as Welling would be excellent as the big bad.

Yeah. Rosenbaum's "Inside of You" with Welling was pretty great and nice to see Welling changing his tune on a lot of stuff after a decade.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Apparently we'll get Black Suited Supes this season.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
My biggest takeaway from these last two episodes is reminding me how much I enjoy Sam Witwer

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Another Superman alum hire. Superman 4 is so absurdly shlocky that I almost admire it for how bad it is, so it's kinda cool he's gonna get a chance to play in the Superman mythos again.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I really hope that by the end of the Sons of Liberty stuff they don't try to stand on the idea that Supergirl was right just because it's her show. Especially how the show is trying to mirror US society right now. I'd much prefer if they land somewhere in the "it's okay to punch Nazis and use force to stop people that LITERALLY are striving to genocide a group, but hey over here Supergirl doesn't compromise so good for her or whatever."

Supergirl has been pretty decent at progressive ideas but that whole not killing thing is pretty ingrained in the Supergirl/Superman mythos and it being her show, I don't see them admitting maybe Manchester has a point sometimes.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
No idea if Superman is supposed to be off planet still visiting Erica Durance or not, but I'm trying to imagine President Tron showing up to grill Superman the same way about who he "really" is.

Superman isn't even part of the DEO and he's doing his thing. Seems like Kara could keep doing hers as well.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I wonder how far they have the Crisis on Infinite Earths planned out. I hope they have contingencies if Superman and Batwoman don't get their own shows.

Also, CW, give that man a leading show as Superman. If you have to cancel Arrow and The Flash for it, I'd understand.

Batwoman I only want them to pick up if the stupid Bat-Embargo is more or less lifted. Spinning it up into a show only to tie its hands would be such a waste of effort.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I think the writers bit off more than they can chew this season. Supergirl has always tried to be progressive, and doing a take on the racism and xenophobia is a very Supergirl thing, but they're struggling to make Manchester a villain. Maybe a few years ago his brand of extremism would have come off as problematic but in the current climate they're just making Supergirl look outdated and impotent.

Yeah, the original comic tried the same tack of The Elite trying to suggest Superman was outdated in his methods, but when you attach the story to real world problems and politics, all I'm seeing is "Manchester Black is right" coming across on screen. They had tack on "and they stole the Crown Jewels as payment!" to try and make them seem more villainous but the show isn't really convincing me they're the bad guys.

In conclusion:

nooneofconsequence posted:

The Elite did nothing wrong.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I really enjoy that at the end Lex has both Otis and Miss Teschmacher under his control, no matter how it came about. Long live Otisberg!

I'm still annoyed they have to tack on the extra bullshit to make Manchester be cartoonishly evil so that they can make him in the wrong. I get maybe a TV show doesn't want to quite embrace "hey maybe fascists should be shut down HARD" but having Manchester try to nuke the White House and blow up a dam just so that he can be clearly labeled the bad guy really sucks.

It also felt tonally weird for Kara to be sympathetic and understanding toward J'onn for "killing" Manchester with her whole "aww buddy it's okay it doesn't detract from who you're TRYING to be" thing, considering how hardcore adamant she's always been on the no-kill rule. Which is great cause there's a few people Kara should just straight chuck into the sun, it was just an odd deviation.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I love that Lockwood at some point dumped the super soldier serum into a syringe and happened to be carrying it, exposed and unprotected, while dealing with his wife's killer. Also double points for Brainy suggesting they just chuck Lockwood into a tanker to presumably straight up kill him since they didn't seem to bother to check if he was alive after that and just left.

I'm all for giving James real super-powers. Mehcad Brooks is great and he's been miswritten and mishandled ever since the CW took over, so if this gives him more relevance and agency, great.

Sam Witwer is a treasure and I seriously love his stuff so I'm actually kind of hoping he'll see the light and have a change of heart at the end instead of just being punched into submission. Having his son straight up say Lockwood got mommy killed because of his crusade is great. Please let Lockwood have the realization that he's on the wrong side of history here. Probably too much to ask for but a guy can hope.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I gave a lot of it a pass cause Sam Witwer is just a treasure and has more acting in his emoting than half the cast does on an entire season. Though his backstory episode is comically bad in a hilarious way.

Manchester Black was right!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I got a hearty laugh out of Supergirl disarming all but one of the mind-controlled civilians and then the cut to Guardian leaping at one and exchanging a few punches before knocking them down. Not sure it was supposed to be a funny moment though. Is Kara leaving a pity fight for James or are they just trying to showcase how ineffectual James is next to every other character on the show before he leaves?

If we don't get some Kara-on-Ice-Cream shots here soon I'm not sure the season can be saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Agreeing with John's Brother arc being weak as hell. This will make the third season in a row dealing with family stuff for him, counting last season's "am I a man of peace or not" as a continuation from all the stuff his father dumped on him.

I wanted more Martian Manhunter, PI.