Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

People seem to like XIII-2 a lot more than XIII but personally its my least favorite of the three. They moved to a more open structure and made the combat stone cold easy because a lot of people couldnt wrap their heads around XIII. You can raise monsters to fight for you and theres a lot more stuff to explore in XIII-2 but the original has much better difficulty and design, even if it is pretty slow ramp. Story wise none of it matters because each game has a pretty self contained story with characters that just cross over as needed

i hate to be the one to say it since im such a fan of good gameplay but IMO theres more that goes into a game than just gameplay. 13 also had a mandatory grind it in it (unforgivable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mandatory grind? Which part?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Advent Children was so win to me when it came out

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

1) Final Fantasy Legend II
2) Final Fantasy Legend

?) Final Fantasy Legend III dunno never really played it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Ya, the first 30 hours of the game hayooo

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

when u first get to gran pulse (think thats what its called). at least thats how it was in my game because it was literally impossible to beat the story fights or any of the optional stuff at that point without grinding and every enemy i actually could beat was taking 30 minutes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hmm when I first got to gran pulse everything was kicking my rear end so I figured I had to just do it later so I went directly to the story path and didn't have a problem with that stuff

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I.N.R.I posted:

when u first get to gran pulse (think thats what its called). at least thats how it was in my game because it was literally impossible to beat the story fights or any of the optional stuff at that point without grinding and every enemy i actually could beat was taking 30 minutes.

i dont know if you need to grind but when you first show up there you can beat the behemoth kings pretty easy by staggering them before they stand up and level up fast

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

doesnt 13 even limit you from actually moving further in your sphere grid thing each chapter so you cant grind

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

Hmm when I first got to gran pulse everything was kicking my rear end so I figured I had to just do it later so I went directly to the story path and didn't have a problem with that stuff

TBH most fights were taking 10+ minutes even before beating the robot pope guy. i wasnt playing badly either, i have the lightning returns plat and most of the 13-2 trophies so its not like i dont understand the system. i personally like to keep my levels low in RPGs but since 13 is so linear i probably wasnt particularly underlevelled in it either

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder how Academia 400F or whatever era it was, ever made it into XIII-2 without someone in the development team saying "maybe we should rethink this"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

TBH most fights were taking 10+ minutes even before beating the robot pope guy. i wasnt playing badly either, i have the lightning returns plat and most of the 13-2 trophies so its not like i dont understand the system. i personally like to keep my levels low in RPGs but since 13 is so linear i probably wasnt particularly underlevelled in it either

That sounds odd to me... I replayed XIII last year and the longest fights I can think of were all bosses around the 10 minute mark. I don't remember fights taking that long

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

yea the game even grades you on how fast you beat fights, theyre supposed to be fast

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I wonder how Academia 400F or whatever era it was, ever made it into XIII-2 without someone in the development team saying "maybe we should rethink this"

lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Wasn't that just straight up Blade Runner lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Wasn't that just straight up Blade Runner lol

It was the level that had random encounters every 3 to 4 seconds against 0xp junk enemies. The fights took longer to load than to actually play and it went on for like 45 minutes

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Start with 1, NES version :troll:

it's better than 3 and 4, tbh. TBH

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i want to play world of final fantays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQwKxMqV9uE

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbIHVoTY2M

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

It was the level that had random encounters every 3 to 4 seconds against 0xp junk enemies. The fights took longer to load than to actually play and it went on for like 45 minutes

What are the battle load times like on PS3? I played all 3 on PC.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

yea the game even grades you on how fast you beat fights, theyre supposed to be fast

duno. the boss fights seemed normal length but certain regular fights just took ages. and theres that section with sazh + vanille vs the hoplite guys, those guys took like 5-10 minutes to beat too.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

me too

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQwKxMqV9uE

:worship:

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I finally got to the last boss in 13-2 after like 2 years of playing it and gave up when it killed me a bunch so now I'm playing Lightning Returns

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I liked 13 better than 13-2 even if it took so long to get going

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thought about going back and finishing xiii but i'm pretty sure i deleted my save

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The last boss of XIII-2 was one of the only tough parts for me and I loved it. Such an awesome gauntlet.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

The last boss of XIII-2 was one of the only tough parts for me and I loved it. Such an awesome gauntlet.

It was a really cool fight design but it didn't feel like actually landing the final hit was gonna be that satisfying to me. Like I think I experienced all I needed to.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
LR has an insane story also and it owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The genocide system is awesome

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

uh wtf the tonberry dressed as a king and chibi sephiroth casting meteor are dlc bonuses fuuuuu

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

mysterious loyall X posted:

uh wtf the tonberry dressed as a king and chibi sephiroth casting meteor are dlc bonuses fuuuuu

Usually those 'Day 1 Edition' preorder things are sold separately later on, like the slime weapons in DQ Heroes and the Dark Souls II items.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Usually those 'Day 1 Edition' preorder things are sold separately later on, like the slime weapons in DQ Heroes and the Dark Souls II items.

dark souls 2 is a pile of poo poo. what were they thinking

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

They were thinking hm let's make a game that's just like the other one, but this time we don;t have the primary creative force working with us any more so lets just wing it boys. But in Japanese

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

the same team went on to make ds3 though :> gotta start sumwhere

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Anyone here play the episodic sequel to FF4 that they released for the Wii? I was on a serious benzo kick at that point in my life but I vaguely remember grinding each and every chapter for the best gear - people on GameFAQs had even determined timings and paths to guarantee certain random encounters and their loot - I think there were some random-drop chests that could be manipulated too. Good times.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

the same team went on to make ds3 though :> gotta start sumwhere

They learned, which is cool.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Super Rad posted:

Anyone here play the episodic sequel to FF4 that they released for the Wii? I was on a serious benzo kick at that point in my life but I vaguely remember grinding each and every chapter for the best gear - people on GameFAQs had even determined timings and paths to guarantee certain random encounters and their loot - I think there were some random-drop chests that could be manipulated too. Good times.

on the one hand it's a bad game, but on the other it's exactly what I pictured in my head as a second grader daydreaming about a FFII sequel

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I don't really wanna make a thread so is star ocean 5 really bad or what. 2 is my favorite jrpg of all time but I never played 3 or 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes it's loving awful