Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Benny D posted:

I don't really wanna make a thread so is star ocean 5 really bad or what. 2 is my favorite jrpg of all time but I never played 3 or 4

having played through 3 and 4: if it continued on the downward trend those games had it'll be really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RIP Tri-Ace. Their latest got translated and is coming out in the US next week. I have the Japanese version and after 2 hours gave up on it, it's not a very good game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

RIP Tri-Ace. Their latest got translated and is coming out in the US next week. I have the Japanese version and after 2 hours gave up on it, it's not a very good game

Is that the one that's like Valkyrie Profile

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah but it's ugly as sin. The gameplay is pretty similar , the structure is lame because you're running missions multiple times for Loot to Unlock the Next Mission style

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I just learned that square ported Second Evolution to PS4 in Japan but has no intention of releasing it to the west. I wonder if I make a Japanese account again if it has an English option

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Benny D posted:

I just learned that square ported Second Evolution to PS4 in Japan but has no intention of releasing it to the west. I wonder if I make a Japanese account again if it has an English option

The psp one is really good. 1 and 2

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Benny D posted:

I don't really wanna make a thread so is star ocean 5 really bad or what. 2 is my favorite jrpg of all time but I never played 3 or 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-4FwnOv4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlN4E-1I80Q

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

lmao

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i never get how you can even voice act that badly.. I don't think that girl was trying. even a completely untrained rando could be better then that if they just put some drat heart into it

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Was the FF8 card game better than the card game in Xenosaga? I really wanted to like Xenosaga but found myself playing the card game there more than anything else.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The FF8 card game was fuckin awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cashed in my GameStop rewards points and got bravely second for 20 bucks

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Cashed in my GameStop rewards points and got bravely second for 20 bucks

nice, we're even too on progress. I looked up where the demo stopped and it really was 5 hours into the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

nice, we're even too on progress. I looked up where the demo stopped and it really was 5 hours into the game

Oh interesting, I thought he demo was like a standalone story. Can I import data or anything? I think I just get item bonuses for having played it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

every ff thread is just tier lists

Its tradition.

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
i love final fanty!!!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I've, uh, never played a FF game besides Crystal Chronicles. Where should I start?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Average Bear posted:

I've, uh, never played a FF game besides Crystal Chronicles. Where should I start?

start with 7 or 9

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

FF6 introduced my fertile young mind to the concept of leitmotifs. I'd say its still probably one of the best ones in the series just for having such a rich cast and a great general aesthetic.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Average Bear posted:

i think you should start with 4 personally. its a good intro to the series imo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

By bringing over your GBA SP + Link Cable over to my place and replaying Crystal Chronicles

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a shame the multilayer in that game required that completely unnecessary control setup because I really enjoyed that game. I would love a new one with online

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Oh interesting, I thought he demo was like a standalone story. Can I import data or anything? I think I just get item bonuses for having played it

I don't see why you shouldn't.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

In Training posted:

It's a shame the multilayer in that game required that completely unnecessary control setup because I really enjoyed that game. I would love a new one with online

It was really cool making my little brother carry the chalice in every level.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

not FF related but i hope the new Tales game coming in January isn't boring like Zestiria and it's instead good like Xillia/Vesperia

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Average Bear posted:

Absolutely start with 4 or 6

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

i recommend you start with final fantasy xi, onthe ps2. ftw

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
FF4 is probably the most essential Final Fanty game. If you're only going to play a single pre-Sony FF then it should probably be this.

If you like it then play FF5.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

goferchan posted:

Absolutely start with 4 or 6

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

chinese barbecue porp posted:

FF4 is probably the most essential Final Fanty game. If you're only going to play a single pre-Sony FF then it should probably be this.

If you like it then play FF5.

Wow I haven't played any of them in a long time but FF6 is still the big SNES final fantasy in my mind. I love games with lots of hidden crap and optional recruitable party members tho

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
That is true but if you haven't played any then FF4 is a v good example on what to expect of the series.

FF6 is the high point of SNES era fanty games but it's only thanks to enhancements and innovation built on top of v solid foundation.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

anyone else play the romancing saga games? kind of like the snes final fantys in some ways and really, really different in others

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

In Training posted:

Start with 1, NES version :troll:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i started playing 8 again and have been using the junction system and it's awesome.

100% sleep rate with attacks is fun

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

i started playing 8 again and have been using the junction system and it's awesome.

100% sleep rate with attacks is fun

it works with death magic too :getin:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

it works with death magic too :getin:

That game is so much fun to break. I spent one evening during summer semester at college getting the disc 1 Lionheart through card mod

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i legitimately believe that the intricate matrix of interactions that are provided between the optional triple triad matches and the early guardian force card-to-magic conversion abilities provides some of the most compelling character customization in any console RPG ever, and like actually gives the player a tangible reason to grind. At the same point in time, the whole game autolevels to you in a fairly OK manner of scaling, so its like if you do choose to open up this horadric cube of possibilities, you also make even the random encounter enemies much more complex and powerful. It's basically a beautiful game, bordering on a holy object.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ff4 is really bad, play ff5 or 6 instead, or even 1 :doge:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i legitimately believe that the intricate matrix of interactions that are provided between the optional triple triad matches and the early guardian force card-to-magic conversion abilities provides some of the most compelling character customization in any console RPG ever, and like actually gives the player a tangible reason to grind. At the same point in time, the whole game autolevels to you in a fairly OK manner of scaling, so its like if you do choose to open up this horadric cube of possibilities, you also make even the random encounter enemies much more complex and powerful. It's basically a beautiful game, bordering on a holy object.

i like 7 cuz it has yuffie and cait sith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
how come the plot in ff8 is so like ... well, you know. compared to the other final fantasy games