Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
FF4 is good, actually. 2 and 3 suck tho. 1 is good too tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

I.N.R.I posted:

how come the plot in ff8 is so like ... well, you know. compared to the other final fantasy games

I like 8 cuz its crazy lol. 6 had an ensemble thing, 7 had an eco message (and a lot of the same apocalypse stuff as the other games), 8 was them trying a weird idea that didn't work. 9 figured out how to do normal rpg plot again, for the first time since 5. then they just kept doing weird poo poo that didnt work and generic plots for every game afterwards, imo

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
gameplay is the saving grace of any good ff game after 9.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Can someone recommend a good strategy rpg from the last decade or so. I tried playing suikoden 1 and it's good but I'd like something a little more recent

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fire emblem fates: conquest

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Benny D posted:

Can someone recommend a good strategy rpg from the last decade or so. I tried playing suikoden 1 and it's good but I'd like something a little more recent
SMT Devil Survivor 1 is really good. Not sure about 2

fiber
Nov 18, 2012

Benny D posted:

ignore the last decade poo poo and play suikoden 2, its better than 1 in every way and is one of the top 5 jrpgs of all time

edit: neither are a strategy rpg though, oh well

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i legitimately believe that the intricate matrix of interactions that are provided between the optional triple triad matches and the early guardian force card-to-magic conversion abilities provides some of the most compelling character customization in any console RPG ever, and like actually gives the player a tangible reason to grind. At the same point in time, the whole game autolevels to you in a fairly OK manner of scaling, so its like if you do choose to open up this horadric cube of possibilities, you also make even the random encounter enemies much more complex and powerful. It's basically a beautiful game, bordering on a holy object.

i like quistis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FF8 is my least favorite because of the scaling enemies. It gets rid of the best part of JRPGS, the slow struggle of getting powrrful, and makes that a binary equipment selection that you do once and then never worry about again. About halfway through I just turned on no-enc and walked through the next 2 discs

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

In Training posted:

FF8 is my least favorite because of the scaling enemies. It gets rid of the best part of JRPGS, the slow struggle of getting powrrful, and makes that a binary equipment selection that you do once and then never worry about again. About halfway through I just turned on no-enc and walked through the next 2 discs

i think it's fun to spend 6+ hours turning floating fish on the beach into cards for AP, collecting more bunch of cards via triple triad, refining all sorts of magic + weapon upgrading items, learning diablos' no-enc skill then beating the game with everyone at less than level 12 doing 9999 HP per swing

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

my favourite final fantasy is VII though

this guy are sick!! fuckingl ol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Benny D posted:

also I assume you've played Jagged Alliance 2 but if you haven't then please do so

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i'm assuming you can turn cards into magic with GF abilities?

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

my morning jackass posted:

i'm assuming you can turn cards into magic with GF abilities?

cards = items = magic

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ol yeller posted:

I like 8 cuz its crazy lol. 6 had an ensemble thing, 7 had an eco message (and a lot of the same apocalypse stuff as the other games), 8 was them trying a weird idea that didn't work. 9 figured out how to do normal rpg plot again, for the first time since 5. then they just kept doing weird poo poo that didnt work and generic plots for every game afterwards, imo

yea i love 8 too. but i mean like, in 8, it feels even more different to like 10 + 13 etrc because it literally just doesnt make sense in the last half. but its cool in its own way

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

i like it because its like a difficulty slider (more lvls = harder game). so if you play naturally the game gradually gets hardr and harder albeit being so easy to break u dont really notice unless you hold back a little

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The final dungeon in FF8 is great. I played it like a normal rpg without doing any card stuff and it was fun overall. But at one point early on I found a way to junction a billion health using only stuff from the shop and that was dumb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started Bravely Second, and yes that's correct I started it on Hard

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I started Bravely Second, and yes that's correct I started it on Hard

gl

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

nice, we're even too on progress. I looked up where the demo stopped and it really was 5 hours into the game

Btw the demo is a separate side story that takes place before the game. I got a bonus gift of some potions + Phoenix downs for playing and a little party chat when the Three Cavaliers rebranded reminiscing about their last adventure

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Btw the demo is a separate side story that takes place before the game. I got a bonus gift of some potions + Phoenix downs for playing and a little party chat when the Three Cavaliers rebranded reminiscing about their last adventure

Oh that's odd. I remember i looked up a description for a boss I encountered several hours in and it said that it was the final boss of the demo too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

Oh that's odd. I remember i looked up a description for a boss I encountered several hours in and it said that it was the final boss of the demo too

I bet they reuse a few bosses especially all the job ones. Maybe I'll get special dialogue or something! I'm only like 30 minutes in but I immediately remember why I love the battle system in these games

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I bet they reuse a few bosses especially all the job ones. Maybe I'll get special dialogue or something! I'm only like 30 minutes in but I immediately remember why I love the battle system in these games

it's freaking win but I couldn't believe the pay for bravely second thing you can do

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

it's freaking win but I couldn't believe the pay for bravely second thing you can do

Lol yeah that's so dumb. I wonder if anybody has ever actually paid money so they could do a turn over and save uhh like 3 minutes of time from their actual lives. You'd have to be psychotic

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Lol yeah that's so dumb. I wonder if anybody has ever actually paid money so they could do a turn over and save uhh like 3 minutes of time from their actual lives. You'd have to be psychotic

it's not doing a turn over at all actually it allows a character to perform up to like 6 continuous attacks on top of however many braves you've got with addition to extra damage. It can one shot bosses with it I'm sure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

it's not doing a turn over at all actually it allows a character to perform up to like 6 continuous attacks on top of however many braves you've got with addition to extra damage. It can one shot bosses with it I'm sure

Haha cool. I mean you can one shot bosses anyway, I made a set up that could kill the demo final boss in one turn just for kicks since I did everything else

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Haha cool. I mean you can one shot bosses anyway, I made a set up that could kill the demo final boss in one turn just for kicks since I did everything else

There's an insane amount of fun sub systems in this game. Let me know if you figure out how the custom special attacks work I haven't figured that out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wtf Janne

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmao the VR gyro control escape sequence was insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Glad to see that "Mrgrgr" is back as well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

8 is good but for some reason to me 7 and 9 just feel like much "bigger" games overall even though they're probably similar content-wise

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Lmao the VR gyro control escape sequence was insane

it was so awesome. I wasn't expecting it at all but was pumped the whole way through

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

do you know at which point i get to control the encounter rate and chain battles?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The second I posted that I unlocked the encounter rate menu lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

The second I posted that I unlocked the encounter rate menu lol

yeah, it's awesome for after beating a dungeon and going back to clean it up of chests

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

yeah, it's awesome for after beating a dungeon and going back to clean it up of chests

I also like to use it so I don't get too OP before fighting a boss. the fact they also have a little expected level range for reference is great for that. just unlocked triple wielding and its awesome, especially combined with the charioteer passive so if you go for a 4x normal attack by the last round youre attacking 3 times and critting with all 3. Cant wait to unlock more jobs, the wheel on the job menu looks massive

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

I also like to use it so I don't get too OP before fighting a boss. the fact they also have a little expected level range for reference is great for that. just unlocked triple wielding and its awesome, especially combined with the charioteer passive so if you go for a 4x normal attack by the last round youre attacking 3 times and critting with all 3. Cant wait to unlock more jobs, the wheel on the job menu looks massive

dude these posts are making BD sound like my dream rpg. I kind of lost steam in DQ7 and I'm strongly considering trading it in for bravely default honestly

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

rediscover posted:

dude these posts are making BD sound like my dream rpg. I kind of lost steam in DQ7 and I'm strongly considering trading it in for bravely default honestly

trading in games?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

elf help book posted:

trading in games?!?

Your right. I got paper I'll just buy it.