Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Before this year FFV was my favorite, but I played all 3 XIII games this year and can't decide between FFXIII and Lightning Returns. The Paradigm/Schemata system is in my top 3 RPG battle systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Where is XIII.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

every ff thread is just tier lists

Alright let's talk about fabula nova crystallis. I think that it's odd that Lightning is the only character on the cover of all 3 games when she's arguably only the main character of one of them and she barely appears in FFXIII-2. Vanille is the most important character in FFXIII imo and of course Serah and Noel share FFXIII-2.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The only explanation I can come up with is that Lightning is such a badass that she forced the other characters off of the covers until Square finally gave her a game of her own.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

The XIII-2 alternate ending stuff was a fun system, more people should blatantly rip off that aspect of Chrono Trigger.

Snow's time cycle ending is what made me start liking him. Some of those endings are really sad and messed up though...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

FFV is really short unless you're insane and try and level up all the jobs.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

as if tidus isnt a little queermo

Tidus, son of Jecht is the manliest FF protagonist ever.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

People seem to like XIII-2 a lot more than XIII but personally its my least favorite of the three. They moved to a more open structure and made the combat stone cold easy because a lot of people couldnt wrap their heads around XIII. You can raise monsters to fight for you and theres a lot more stuff to explore in XIII-2 but the original has much better difficulty and design, even if it is pretty slow ramp. Story wise none of it matters because each game has a pretty self contained story with characters that just cross over as needed

I agree with all of this. Making the game more open and less linear came at a cost. The difficulty curve was all out of whack in FFXIII-2. Lightning Returns did a great job of being both nonlinear and mostly difficult.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

*starts to agree actually but then thinks about it for a sec* what about cloud.

Tidus never cross dressed and he was a star athlete. There's no comparison.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I wonder how Academia 400F or whatever era it was, ever made it into XIII-2 without someone in the development team saying "maybe we should rethink this"

Wasn't that just straight up Blade Runner lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

It was the level that had random encounters every 3 to 4 seconds against 0xp junk enemies. The fights took longer to load than to actually play and it went on for like 45 minutes

What are the battle load times like on PS3? I played all 3 on PC.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The last boss of XIII-2 was one of the only tough parts for me and I loved it. Such an awesome gauntlet.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The final dungeon in FF8 is great. I played it like a normal rpg without doing any card stuff and it was fun overall. But at one point early on I found a way to junction a billion health using only stuff from the shop and that was dumb

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's Final Fantasy! For Lightning's sake...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I don't know what I expected going into the secret dungeon of FFXV but it definitely wasn't what was there. The entire thing was amazing and I would play an whole game like that. I might go as far as to say that it was the best and most interesting part of the whole game. Give that dungeon designer a team, Square-Enix.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Why.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

frank.club posted:

the steam versions for 4,5,6 might be mobile ports

9 is too

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like the monster art in the 5 mobile version. The character art is abysmally bad.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I had more problems with 14 than 13. So much wasted potential in that chapter.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Because he's a rich man.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

gently caress dino for never moving from that long rear end pier.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like the battle/driving/incidental lines in FFXV but they really should have recorded twice or even three times as many

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

FFV is just fine to get into but I'd hate to play the PS1 version. Soul Cannon is a big roadblock in the game because you have to beat it fast otherwise you'll die to the hp drain after its big laser attack or if you survive that your party may be inflicted with old and your damage output will steadily drop. If 4 black mages with thundara isn't working I would recommend starting the fight by breaking a thunder rod which should kill the 2 side cannons.

To break a rod you just equip it then select it from your equipment in the items menu. It's fairly useful early on for big damage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah I got the Ramuh summon, so I've got that on my summoner and it does more damage than Bolt 2. Haven't gotten Thundera yet tho

I should probably make my Monk/Ninja a summoner for that fight since he's not really doing much otherwise. My knight at least has a coral sword that does good damage

E: oh is thundera the same as Bolt 2?

Yeah it's the same. The ninja could be good if you have access to elemental scrolls at this point in the game but I don't remember if you do.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

That's my main concern. I'll get all the way to the end and fight out I didn't use the right jobs and now I need to grind 1000+ job points to get the right abilities

I don't think you'll need to worry about this. FFV can be beaten with pretty much any combination of jobs, and it sounds like you're using a lot of good ones already.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It gets a little too fast past a certain point. They really should have spent more time on the last bit

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I hate shrimp ramen, but you bet I'll be buying the lightning noodles

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Was this game good? I remember renting it at Blockbuster when I was 14 and getting kind of bored with it but I get the impression I’d appreciate it more at this point.

I've never played it but from what I know about it it's a multiplayer focused game where everyone needs a GBA and GCN to GBA cable to play

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SNES 9x

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Crashes at the Mad Clown fight in Super Punch-Out

Lol, true

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

if bowling balls were a weapon in FFXV I would have enjoyed the combat a lot more

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

LR is my personal favorite FF. I think it does everything right

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The bonus dungeon is cool because if you exterminate monsters before you get there then the boss versions of them don't show up again. It's nice to fight some of the tougher ones with your choco friend.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

It takes place like 8000 years after XIII-2 so it's largely made up anyway.6

It's only 200-300 years after believe it or not. Makes no sense at all lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Skylark posted:

Also I was expecting the same battle system from 13-1 and 2, which i LOVED, but this new one seems kewl.

It's a nice evolution of the XIII system. I really love real time paradigm/job changing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lightning Returns also has like every good song from XIII and XIII-2 plus tons of new ones. Honestly so packed with great tracks that it's a contender for best FF soundtrack imo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I know what I'Cie and Fal'Cie are.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The GBA remake of FFV is fine

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

I feel I’m in the home stretch of ffx but the constant encounters are driving me insane and I think I need a break. It just takes so long to accomplish anything at this point when you are having a battle every 5 steps, especially when some of them can take a couple of minutes.

Tidus > Special > Flee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Not really...it seems unbalanced because you can spend 50 hours doing whatever you want in between story bits, but that happens to all open world games.

It all happens after the point of no return at least. After the game stops being open world.