Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lately I've been thinking about how good Final Fantasy VI is. I might even play the ugly version if I keep this up. More likely I'll pull out the GBA one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I did all the new content in Chrono Trigger DS. Don't make my mistake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm interested in Final Fantasy XV but the thought of another big open-world RPG with a bunch of sidequests and drivin' around and bonus chapters is frankly kind of daunting. What's the word on FFXV Pocket Edition? Is there a word? Do you know what the word is? Can you tell it to me, please?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you think they made characters interchangeable with materia because they planned to permanently take away a party member?

I remember reading that the thing you refer to was a last-minute decision, and the materia system was just sort of where their heads were at designwise at the time. The characters' malleability in 5 and 6 evolved into the systems of 7 and 8 where anybody can be anything at any time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think you're pulling my leg.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mods, you say? I guess I was right to wait.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The mobile versions of Dragon Quests 1-6 are all good, which is surprising because they're for phones, but no, it's true. I would go so far as to say they're the best versions available, but there is some disagreement about 1-3 specifically, and of course if you really hate touch controls you're going to prefer the DS versions of 4-6.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There was a technical limitation in the voice system they used. The lengths of the audio clips had to exactly match the lengths of the original Japanese recordings or else it would literally crash the game, and it's most noticeable when you realize that it takes significantly more time to say "yes" than to say "hai."

They also tried to generally match the lip existing flaps when visible, because they didn't have the ability to reanimate them.

At that time, games were not often developed in a way that made ease of localization a priority.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, the audio engineers could trim the files down to the exact length needed, so the actors just had to deliver the lines fast enough.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

They were actually too busy, because all of them had been called to assist in the development of a single rock for Final Fantasy XV.

Video games was a different place in the year 2000.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The remakes of 6 have Gilgamesh added.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The previously done work on it is harder to port. Even if they were willing to spend the money, it would take longer to be releasable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Square Enix owns too many profitable subsidiaries to realistically sabotage all of them. At this rate, they'll never finish this attempt at corporate suicide, already a decade long.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unlike 1 and 2, 3 doesn't really feel very primitive at all. It's a bit sparse, but - provided you're playing a version with the modern EXP curve - it definitely still holds up today.

The part in the middle of 6 where you're basically just on an aimless journey of self-discovery (please forgive me for this pun) is one of my favorite parts of it. I think the problem with 6 and 7 is that the job system they have is not a very rewarding one. It's kind of awkward, really. It encourages grind, requires blind choice, doesn't add much in the way of nuance to the characters, and has a tendency to induce a motivation cliff around the time you start mastering your first first top-tier vocations, which is usually right before the final dungeon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy 12 came out three years after its own spinoff.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy 8 was released today, but also 20 years ago. This is what time kompression is like.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is unknown how many games FF7R will be, but the Midgar part that makes up the first game is considerably expanded relative to the original version.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nutmeg posted:

Is the version of ffVI on steam good if i were to play it for the 1st time? pc is my only option regardless

It's ugly as sin, but in all other respects the best version available.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Promising demo. I like how the combat is like a more readable version of 15's.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Training posted:

The summon animations are gonna be insane

I think summons work by adding an extra character to the fight.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a fair amount of permanently missable materia, and you have to decide for yourself how much you're going to care about that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I thought I was prepared for how thirsty Jessie would be for Cloud. I was wrong.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't know what's going on, but they used the song.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It took them over two decades and five times as much playstation, but they finally managed to make a video game that's twice as final and twice as fantastic as that one card game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Octopath is fun to play and pretty to look at and listen to, but I got about halfway through and kinda lost steam. It didn't really motivate me to continue playing it. Good chance the sequel will be an instant classic though, I feel.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i'm pumped for bravely 2 but if they make me do the fuckin play the game four times in a row thing again i'm gonna throw a riot

Even Bravely Second walked that sort of thing way back, and this developer has a proven history of incorporating user feedback. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

Just got to Galuf's World in FFV, and my monk is starting to fall off in damage output / utility. What's a good job to transition them to / augment them with?

I seem to recall that Mystic Knight is a good job for damage output around that time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mobile/PC FF6 is hideous, but apart from that it's got the script and all the bugfixes from the GBA version and it changes how Bushido works so you can enter other characters' commands while Cyan is charging up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GBA version has a better script overall, notwithstanding some famous lines changing, and it has bugfixes, and there's a little bonus content unlocked when you beat the final boss, but it looks and sounds worse than SNES. There are romhacks that restore SNES audio and color in the GBA version, but it's still a lower resolution. Either is a good choice. PC version has only one good thing about it compared to the others and it's not worth putting up with the rest for.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Required reading on this topic.

I liked GBA better because I had it on actual hardware and all JRPGs are improved by a mobile form factor, but these days that doesn't really matter. You can't go wrong with either one, really.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I know now why you dislike the Octopath style, but it's something I can never do. Goodbye.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The new sprites are good enough for me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

don’t settle for this bongo bill

The problem I have is that it's not on Switch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like being able to load the game after beating the final boss and keep the weapons you can steal in that fight.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sell the maple logs. If you need more later, buy them.

Some of my so-called friends prevailed upon me to start playing that game recently, and I'm having a good time, but I'm still so early in it that the release of a new expansion means nothing to me except that it'll be harder to log in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

John Romero posted:

whats the best way to play FF1? GBA, PSP or Pixel Remaster?

Pixel Remaster or PS1.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

it actually looks like there isn't an achievement for getting all of the Rages, though, which is good. they do give one for getting all the magicite, which means you'd have to give up the ragnarok sword to get it :(

If it works like the GBA version, you can steal one from the final boss I think, and then keep it afterward.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm so glad that I've decided not to go for completion or any kind of challenge run... this time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're good unless you're a committed enough purist to already know that you don't want them.

...but is it art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The GBA version of 4 let you switch your party around at the end of the game, so you could e.g. ditch Edge. I think that was a good addition.

...but is it art?