Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

rediscover posted:

Blue mages typically pwn actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

it's pretty solid in the Tactics Advance games as well.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fungah! posted:

this is 35 on amazon right now jjust fyi

thanks for the tip, I know what I'm doing thurs/possibly tomorrow!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I got killed in the dungeon with loads of level 7 goblins, but also a lvl 52 guy that you can't escape from.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

goddamn, FF7 would have been brutal.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

the monster arena seemed really cool initially but now it just seems like a time sink.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the good news is the only items worth getting are the weapons which are relatively cheap, and the most expensive item is completely worthless

I'm curious about the mythic color set, and I'm also curious as to what the replacement items for the other uniques are.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

tip about selling items: you should hold on to one each for possible weapon upgrades, and also any coins because expericast gets you tons of exp and is very exploitable.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

so eating the caviar is the single most expensive thing in the game right? or is there another cooler moneysink around?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Crestholm Channels suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

If you think that's bad wait til you try costlemark.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

9 if you want a really enjoyable traditional RPG experience, 8 if you want to play a card game and gently caress around with minmaxing a bunch of crazy Final Fantasy RPG systems.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Third exclamation point

You know what, I'm glad he added it.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The models look good but the background textures look a little blah. Even if they looked great tho, its easy enough to play the original which always looks good.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

If they redid it with a more consistent and less ridiculous way to play multiplayer, it'd be great, but its merely ok as it is.

Music might be the best in a single FF tho.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Not quite final fantasy, but does anyone have any opinions on those square enix 'return-to-form' jrpgs like I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, they seem to be nice enough but even on sale they're a little pricey and I never hear much about them at all.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Trying ff9 for the first time, I'm at the ice cave and liking it so far. Are there any tips or missable things I should remember

Pretty much every boss has great equipment to steal on them but you're going to drive yourself crazy actually trying to get all of it because some of it is like less than a 1% chance.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

i'm playing ffxiv right now, and it's pretty good

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

lol badass

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Went to the mall today for the first time in forever and picked up a 300 page official strategy guide for FFXIII-2 so I guess it's time for me to do a replay too.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Quiz sidequest in FF13-2 is loving crazy. One the one hand the concept behind it is funny and cool, but on the other hand goddamn is it frustrating in execution.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

FF13 was so tightly paced and strict about leveling up until nearly the very end which made it a very unique experience and made sense with the story, but it also never felt like it removed the training wheels until like the very end, it's nice that 13-2 went the classic ff route of just letting you get absurdly overpowered if you know what you're doing.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Tim Burtonesque Broom: TCELES B HSUP.
Jack: Enough with your riddles and mysteries. Your incantations mean nothing to a man like me, with no luxury for memories.... Fighting is what I live for.
*Mariah Carey cover of "Hero" begins to play*

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

gamefaqs thread is in the goldmine, but I found this while helping my sister with a side quest:

lol but also getting mild gamer ptsd from when I hosed up my X-2 100% completion run by missing two lines of dialogue.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

accidentally interrupting maechen ftw

Worse, I exited out of a chap 4 commsphere before the cutscene triggered.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I didn't *skip* any scenes, rather what I did was this:

In chap 3, for full completion, you have to visit every location and put a camera down there for future use. In chap 4, there's a series of cutscenes you need to view from the ship that involve you looking through the camera and seeing really mundane stuff happen in all the places you put the cameras. Sometimes you don't get any cutscene at all and you have to exit out and enter back in to try to trigger it, but each cutscene only triggers once. So what I think happened was: I opened up the camera and after looking around a while - I impatiently closed the camera right when the cutscene had just barely triggered, meaning I had missed it forever; and because the cutscene was like 0.1% of completion it took a while before I realized the numbers were off and I had botched the whole attempt. This is around the 2/3rds mark of the game too, easily about 20 hours in, probably more.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

[said aloud] ooh dope

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

symbolic posted:

making headway in FFVII for the first time and man this would've blown my mind if i had it when i was a kid. dated or not, still really drat good

FFVII has unmatched vibes

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've been wanting to replay FF15 for a sec now, I played it on release but I never got around to any of the Episode stuff, how did that turn out?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mixed bag. From what I remember:

Gladio: weird sort of Souls-ish dungeon crawl about fighting Gilgamesh? It's a cool idea but honestly the combat isn't good enough to carry it

Prompto: new area with snowboarding and photography and ehh third person shooter gameplay. Very chill

Ignis: batshit alternate fix-fic ending where Ignis remembers he's the one smart person in the game and fixes all the problems halfway through. Extremely funny and Ignis is a blast to play

Comrades: design your own character and do weird monster hunter side quests with other people?? I don't know if this is great or terrible. It was impossible to find other players on release so there are probably none at all now. Grindy. Your custom freak will pop up in the main story afterwards which makes for some great screenshots, I'll need to find mine.

Ardyn: never actually played this one because it was a lead-in to the second wave of DLC which was going to have the epic post-game story about Noctis fighting his fate and so on which never happened and got turned into a spinoff light novel

Oh hell yea, might try to get to it during the summer

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

spontaneously remembering about the FFXV/Assassin's Creed crossover event

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can't really disagree with most criticisms of 15 but it's so loving ambitious and stupid that I can't help but love it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Fy02yZc_8

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I hope they have multiple release seasons

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

welcome posted:

How can we sleep with the bad font kerning.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Who the gently caress cares about the text in a jrpg? I'm here for the gameplay baby!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Why did they think that font/kerning on the PR dialog boxes/menus was okay. What the gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nuked for demanding better typography; bad shoot.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

b_d posted:

turns out the nier pack 1 has automata stuff. mainly waiting on the chronos though.

I'm glad it had amusement park but angry it didn't have become as gods

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

In Training posted:

this is what got me thinking about it lol. What spinoffs didn't get included, I think there was a WoFF song, all the chocobo mystery dungeons.and all the crappy phone games.

The ones that I noticed were missing were the tactics advanced games, some of the crystal chronicles spinoffs, and chocobo racing. (The last one is super weird because they JUST had a new chocobo racing game)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

They hosed up not including this tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-AdtgNnglg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Yea some of the quests are a lot more fiddly than I would expect, I spent a long time on one that required me to kill the boss with thunder damage but even on the highest difficulty it only had enough of the specific triggers to proc one thunder 3/4ths of the way into song, so it was more about creating a team that managed to kill all the other enemies with the right timing to put the weakened boss at the very specific moment where thunder would be cast.