Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

recruiting a bunch of google eyed desert mechanics to your team so that you can spend quality blitzball hours being the league's Zanarkand Globetrotters so wakka can get his weapon, which he doesn't even help earn because it turns out he's not a very good blitzball player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*throwing my couple of noodles wrapper into the stadium* get out of the pool, wakka! you aren't fit to play for the ronsos!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

1000 word Patrick Klepek think piece in Vice about the implications of slave labor with regards to blitzball competitions.

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

why is Final Fantasy 8 being erased from existence anyway?

like i know not literally, it's on steam or w/e, but it's strange they didn't port it to the Switch

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He just hasn't played the cell phone games in the Final Fantasy VII anthology.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Black August posted:

I hope they find the resources to recover lost assets, or at least redo them well for an 8 remaster. It'd be cool to one day see a 1-w/e greatest hits edition.

yeah, like i know it;s not the greatest final fantasy game or anything but i'd still like to be able to play it.

i've been playing the PS4 ff7 download and it seems pretty good. it seems like they stealth cleaned up some of the translation, like it says "This guy is sick" now and a few other minor things. being able to do 3x speed is awesome, it would really improve ff8.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

It's a cruel cruel world when goatse.cx is a crypto currency on boarding page

the internet's dyin', Cloud

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Yeah he retired 4 days ago and then they announced this FFXV ANNOUNCEMENT! and the announcement was that FFXV is finally done lol

at some point theyre just going to do this with the ff7 remake, aren't they?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

FFXV had its time in the spotlight, so I guess it’s only fair that SquareEnix scrap its ending and leave it unfinished forever to move the money and resources to more important projects, like Tomb Raider reboot games no one buys and Tomb Raider reboot movies no one watches

At last, we can devote the appropriate marketing resources to getting the trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3 and 1/2: Goofy's Blitzball Memoryscape into every E3 presentation for 2019.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's crazy how they made a good new mainline FF game and sunk it in a mire of bad management fueled by greed. FFXV is a good game, it doesn't need 30 spinoffs. The world also doesn't need a FF7 remake but that didn't stop them from bleeding money into it.

yeah, for all its issues, the gameplay for the base game in FFXV is actually pretty good. even if you're playing it as an utter completionist, the only grindy part of it is catching the rarer fish.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dragon Quest team, who have clearly sequestered themselves in a monastery somewhere that the rest of Square-Enix can't find.

the World Tree branch of the corporation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Square Enix owns too many profitable subsidiaries to realistically sabotage all of them. At this rate, they'll never finish this attempt at corporate suicide, already a decade long.

I wonder how their weird cafe is doing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

it probably earns them a fortune since its in akihabara

Square Enix to shift entirely to making different types of Moogle pancakes, i-phone ports of SNES-era FF games, and designing a single strand of chocobo hair for the FF7 remake for the next decade. Execs unable to stop Dragon Quest team from continuing to make video games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Ah, please excuse me, Nomura-san, I have not finished fully texturing the fur on this snake monster. After that I will begin modeling scales on all the horses." - Bicyclops

look here, smart guy, these two are the same species:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i admit that furiously googled midgardsormr to see if i could find one with hair before looking for those, and then i had to ask the judge for a recess to remember what the ff8 fish people were called

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I kind of agree with Lumpy that the main story of XV feels needlessly depressing and rushed, particularly the weird time jump. I mostly played it because the camping and hunting was fun, all the stuff about the magic ghost dads just didn't work for me, I dunno. It has an ending, it just feels rushed, and the tone of the story didn't match what you spent most of the game doing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If you're still wondering if your friends are alive after that final campfire scene then I don't know what to tell you

It's less about it being unfinished and more about it feeling rushed. There's an unearned tone shift in the third act

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I haven't played it in 2 years so idk for sure but I'm fairly certain poo poo hits the fan about halfway through the game and only gets worse. Isn't Ignis blind for most of the 2nd half? Not remembering the neck breaking tonal shift you're talking about

All of that happens in like the last 10 percent of the game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the timeskip is actually my primary complaint, but I guess I'm quibbling with a series that frequently uses amnesia as a plot point, so w/e. it's a good game either way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i hope Final Fantasy 16 borrows a lot of the mechanics from 15 and makes minor improvements on them. it's cool that FF sort reinvents the wheel a lot of the time, but another game in a different setting with even more polished 15 combat would be cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

I think the “abrupt” tonal change isn’t really abrupt at all if you don’t bother with sidequests. It’s a 20 hour or less game if you just do story stuff and seems pretty reasonably paced. It’s just that the point of no return can happen after 40 hours so it feels truncated

I guess that's fair. I spent like 40 hours just hunting and fishing and dungeon-crawling and stuff, so it sort of felt like a camping simulator with a grimdark Final Fantasy story tossed into the last couple of hours. It basically just feels like a very different game once you get on the train.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Zodiac Age is easier but it also means you can play around with weird gimmick builds.

i'm sort of at a loss as to how ff12 can get easier. like, the beginning of the game is generous and after you get gambits, it;s about programming the bulk of the game to play itself. half of the boss fights are just doing the limit break chain right and the other half are just layering making basic final fantasy decisions over the "play a final fantasy game" programming that gambits are. admittedly we never got to that endless multiple hour hunt or whatever, but we got like 10 out of the twelve espers.

don't get me wrong, my brother and i have played through most of it more than once and enjoyed it, it's not a bad game, but i think it's definitely the easiest FF game besides... maybe 10? and that's only if you're not playing 10's mini-games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Every FF is easy except maybe XIII if you don't understand how to paradigm shift, which apparently a lot of people don't

i think the first game and JP 4 are actually hard, but yes, the rest of them are easy. ff12 takes it to a different level though, the game almost literally plays itself after you set up your gambits and you just need to shuffle them a bit for boss fights, watch a boss's hit points and then play the limit break mini-game well. maybe the IZJS version is different, though, i only played the US PS2 release. and like i said, we only did like 80 percent of the hunts and there were two summons we never got.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Is FFXV as bad as I keep hearing or is it just a bunch of whining?

It's really good, actually. I don't care for the ending but most of the thread like even that. It's just a fun game where you hunt monsters and make recipes and go fishing, and sometimes explore a huge dungeon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

the games biggest crime is running up to a prompt to press x and pressing it and noctis does his little hop instead

this is suddenly a problem with every open world game, the amount of time i spent trying to pick up tiny things or actually grab an underwater chest in witcher 3 is insane.

devs have to make the hit boxes on stuff you can activate bigger.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

One of FFXV’s biggest flaws was being only able to take one monster bounty at a time, and having to go back to the same specific place at daytime to turn it in, and I’m pretty sure that got fixed pretty early on.

i did hate any of the bounties that you had to fight the monster in the rain, because there's no way to affect weather. there weren't too many of them, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The "No hot dogs today" image went around Facebook earlier this week and after thinking about for awhile, I'm pretty sure that Quistis is actually the real antagonist in Final Fantasy 8.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like the green light in Great Gatsby, Quistis and her hot dogs represent the unattainable.

In my younger and more vulnerable years, Seifer gave me a piece of advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since: "you're a chickenwuss."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

12 is honestly all side quest, it's just that the hunts feel more like the main quest than whatever is going with the Ivalice war

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

there are a bunch of really loving obtuse side quests that are insanely easy to miss.

:confused:

there are like two fetch quests towards the beginning. everything else is either related to a hunt or else it's "go kill this summon" which is also essentially a hunt. like, it's fine, i sort of prefer more combat to 8000 half assed mini games, but almost literally all the sidequests are "go into a dungeon and kill this thing."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao

I grinded for one of these, and then i ended up getting two before i got back to the save point. yiou can't throw it away so your inventory just permanently loses a slot for ht eextra one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Can you store it with Escargo Express.

you can, but the thing i always forget until the end of the game is that Tracy runs out of room too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the end boss of earthbound is mostly just about surviving anyway, giygas doesn't care about your fancy rare drops.

most of the ultimate weapons/armor in ff12 are like 1/256 drops that drop from enemies that only appear in one hallway like 1/20 times. like, i know, you can just not get them, but it drives me nuts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Milkman posted:

if it was any other game i wouldn't have cared but to keep missing a piece of my Favorite Game broke my brain

case in point i'm playing ff6 for the first time and i started checking a guide so i can just get it over with faster and i see all this extra stuff and I guffaw

i have a never-ending file for ff6 where i'm trying to get all of Gau's rages, which is probably the most pointless exercise in the universe.

i don't fire it up very often though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Frenz posted:

Theres an insane gamefaq that explains how the veldt works and how to improve your odds of getting a specific enemy group you need but it still takes forever.

I know, I'm using it. i actually printed the whole thing out so i could check when i've "cleared" a formation and when i've gotten the rage, it's stapled together under the coffee table. every couple of months my wife asks if she can throw it away.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FFX had so much to track across so many different FAQs that i wrote down a bunch of stuff in a Mead composition book that had been my high school physics notebook and we just used that whenever we played, so it had like blitzball players next to the lyrics for the Mr. Physics song we used to sing about the teacher, and which monster to bribe to make auto-haste next to a crossed out heart with my ex girlfriend's initials in it. now i suppose i'd just use a laptop.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the first time I got to use the internet was in my dad's office when I was visiting for some reason, and I got overexcited and printed out the entire cheatplanet.com Paper Mario 64 list of tips, and my dad's boss got mad at him for letting his retarded son waste half the ink cartridge

lmao

one of my bosses used to have her son come in and do homework on one of the loaner laptops here sometimes after school, and one day a monthly Discord Nitro subscription showed up on her corporate card. i had to go through this whole song and dance where she was like "now, why would i buy this program? wsa i looking for alternative productivity tools to use instead fo Slack?" because she knew what happened once i explained what the program was, but she didn't want to pay the 8 dollars back.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mentally filling out deets of every imp's rough age in a big battered notebook based on their stories over the last page

you can use a laptop now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i have shamefully never played ff13 because i didn't have a PS3 and i have a huge backlog. i have a brother who visits every so often to just play video games, ff13 might be a good choice for the next game we go through after we finally finish witcher 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ff12 just takes the series to it's logical conclusion and has most of the combat be in the set-up in the menu screen. even the boss fights with the bigger hunts are mostly about choosing when to activate the insane limit break chains to finish the boss off. you do have to set up your gambits differently for some of the fights, though.