Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I stream 1080p movies all the time?

Ditto. No major issues for me with the 3 that I have. An Ethernet adapter would do nothing for me anyway, because I'm not running cables. What am I, a farmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Merv Burger posted:

Dude keeps on triggering voice search on my phone when doing these examples.

Xbox off

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kirios posted:

Absolutely, AC can't hang with that consistently. I'm just irritated it took them so long...first gen Chromecast is an absolute joke for anything beyond 480p.

2nd gen Chromecast struggles doing 1080p at times and because it's on 5 Ghz the range is terrible. First gen is only GN so even basic 720p causes it to struggle. An ethernet port was an obvious choice and should have happened earlier.

Your WiFi must have lots of interference. My 2nd gen Chromecasts have had no issues playing high bitrate content wirelessly. My 1st gen Chromecast did have issues with 1080p content here and there (I think that was a hardware limitation, not issues with WiFi), but I don't think I'd ever call its performance a joke.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kirios posted:

Absolutely, AC can't hang with that consistently. I'm just irritated it took them so long...first gen Chromecast is an absolute joke for anything beyond 480p.

2nd gen Chromecast struggles doing 1080p at times and because it's on 5 Ghz the range is terrible. First gen is only GN so even basic 720p causes it to struggle. An ethernet port was an obvious choice and should have happened earlier.
Did you not realize you were beta testing an inexpensive product?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They literally announced that they partnered with themselves.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Kirios posted:

Does it need the USB port? I power both of mine from the TV as I'm sure most do.

Built into the power adapter, so you'd have to use that. You've still had the option for 3 years though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

They literally announced that they partnered with themselves.

About time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its really too bad ethernet over hdmi never got implemented in anything but cables.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Thermopyle posted:

The make or break thing with this Google Home thing is how good it is at recognizing your voice in your house compared to your phone thats always on you. Hard to put that on a feature list though other than say "it does it good".

This is probably a non-issue. It'll have a really good mic array.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

teagone posted:

Your WiFi must have lots of interference. My 2nd gen Chromecasts have had no issues playing high bitrate content wirelessly. My 1st gen Chromecast did have issues with 1080p content here and there (I think that was a hardware limitation, not issues with WiFi), but I don't think I'd ever call its performance a joke.

Hardware limitation may be it. It's more of a distance thing for me personally...I'm not in an apartment so interference isn't really a thing (Nothing with an RSSI below, maybe, -75 at most ever hits my house).

Still irritated I'd need the power adapter just for basic ethernet support and the new one's built in. Hooray, more adapters to plug in.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kirios posted:

Does it need the USB port? I power both of mine from the TV as I'm sure most do.

Most TV's don't do this, and infact you are likely using the maintenance port on the TV which can brick the TV since it's not a real USB port.

Thermopyle posted:

The make or break thing with this Google Home thing is how good it is at recognizing your voice in your house compared to your phone thats always on you. Hard to put that on a feature list though other than say "it does it good".

Ok Google.

Everything in the house beeps. When I had a Moto 360, and a Nexus 9, and my Nexus 5, when I'd say "hey google" for my watch, everything I owned lit up.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No...they aren't the maintenance port. They're data ports and they send more than enough to power the Chromecasts.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Don Lapre posted:

Its really too bad ethernet over hdmi never got implemented in anything but cables.

HEC was a great idea that should have been used.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
$129 is the new $99.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Most TV's don't do this, and infact you are likely using the maintenance port on the TV which can brick the TV since it's not a real USB port

Huh? Most TVs from the last few years have a usb port for playing videos from a drive or whatever

Mine has 3 for some reason

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

This is the real answer. It's still not as efficient as CAT-6, but it's far more consistent than power inline or wireless.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kirios posted:

Still irritated I'd need the power adapter just for basic ethernet support and the new one's built in. Hooray, more adapters to plug in.

I'm pretty sure the new Chromecast Ultra is just bundled with a power adapter that has the ethernet port, the one I linked earlier that you can buy for $15. I don't think the ethernet port is actually on the Chromecast Ultra itself.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Skarsnik posted:

Huh? Most TVs from the last few years have a usb port for playing videos from a drive or whatever

Mine has 3 for some reason

Even then they aren't designed to power something. it may work, but it's not supposed to.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kirios posted:

I stream plenty of movies from Google Play onto my gen 2 Chromecast and it never struggles, it's your network.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I still want to know what the song was in the Pixel spot.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Kirios posted:

Hardware limitation may be it. It's more of a distance thing for me personally...I'm not in an apartment so interference isn't really a thing (Nothing with an RSSI below, maybe, -75 at most ever hits my house).

Yeah about that...

quote:

Google says the Ultra is its fastest Chromecast, regardless if you have a 4K TV or not, loading videos 1.8 times faster than the standard Chromecast, thanks to improved Wi-Fi connectivity. The company is also including an Ethernet port on the power adapter for users whose Wi-Fi connections may not be able to handle 4K streams.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/4/13098438/google-chromecast-ultra-4k-youtube-streaming-device-announced-price

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Even then they aren't designed to power something. it may work, but it's not supposed to.

One of mine has a big 5v label on it :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I definitely want Home, it looks rad. Rumour was it's $129 USD?

also I don't know if I should get the new Chromecast if I don't do 4k, if it's faster on 1080p than the 2nd gen one then why not?

e:fb nice

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Why would you ever watch TV with only voice controls? How do you mute it with out yelling "GOOGLE MUTE" or how do you tune the volume, or how do you pause it quickly? When I watch Hulu with my CC it's always a pain since the volume of all the hulu pre-videos are wildly different, and then the show volume is super low.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Thats not true, a number of them even advertise the power rating on the port specifically for this reason.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_phone

What the hell, $18.99 for expedited shipping and it's not even 2 day? :argh:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

I stream plenty of movies from Google Play onto my gen 2 Chromecast and it never struggles, it's your network.

The only luck I've ever had is wired to AC wireless on the Chromecast and the Chromecast has to be right next to the router for 4k Video. Wired to AC and GN to AC for 1080p is mostly fine with hitches here and there, which sucks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

air- posted:

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_phone

What the hell, $18.99 and it isn't 2 day? :argh:

atleast 3 people in this thread have already bought and sold one

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh god £599 in the uk

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
Oh good so far it's sounding like the rumor that Home wouldn't allow apps on that were on Echo was incorrect. Whew. Might grab one now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Oh god £599 in the uk
650USD = 500GBP.

Add 20% tax.

Maths, you've done it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

650USD = 500GBP.

Add 20% tax.

Maths, you've done it.
Yes, thanks

Its still really loving expensive

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Well that was abrupt.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
wow, they peaced the gently caress out of that livestream.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kirios posted:

The only luck I've ever had is wired to AC wireless on the Chromecast and the Chromecast has to be right next to the router for 4k Video. Wired to AC and GN to AC for 1080p is mostly fine with hitches here and there, which sucks.

Your poo poo is busted dude, haha. I don't even have an AC capable router and my 2nd gen Chromecasts can play 1080p/~20-30Mbps bitrate content from my Plex server on 5GHz WiFi without any issue.

Also lol at how abruptly the stream ended. BYE.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

RIP my Nexus 6 and 6 inches screens...looks like Google isn't interested in anything beyond 5.5 long term. :(

Edit: wow, that was an abrupt ending

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
That was an abrupt ending.

"I would like to say good by to everyone joining us on the live stream" *Stream cuts off*

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
"with that, gently caress off Internet"

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The daydream headset thing is free if you buy the phone through Project Fi.

Project Fi also has the 6P and 5X still at $499/$199.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Man that just makes me feel like they're doing some SUPER SECRET ANNOUNCEMENT to the people in-person that is not for our livestreaming eyes

• Locked thread