Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

A remake of of the 1960 film (which was a western adaptation of the Japanese film "The Seven Samurai"). Seven gunslingers help defend a helpless farming community from a comically evil mining baron. If you watch this movie without any prior experience of the other films, it stands out alright as a typical western movie. The story is a bit ham-handed when trying to lay out a backstory as to how a Chinese cowboy came about. The Comanche's introduction is literally him silently walking up to the group, offering a liver, and implying it was his destiny to hang out with them.

One major difference (at least from my point of view): Like the 1960's version and The Seven Samurai, only 3 of our heroes survive the battle. However at the end of the film instead of reflecting on how the only winners in the bloodbath were the villagers/townsfolk, they simply ride off into the sunset with a voiceover by the leading lady saying how magnificent they were.This I think sets an entirely different tone for the audience and kind of changes the original message of the movie, glorifying the violence that went on rather than condemning the pointlessness of it.

Overall it seems like just another generic remake of a classic film. Good production value, decent acting, but nothing remarkable. Rent it if you have nothing else to do I guess.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU