Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno, maybe try reading a few chapters of the manga? they do a pretty good job of de-horrorfying a giant spider eating a bunch of weird bugs and animals.

It helps that they give her a cartoony shark-tooth mouth rather than the horrifying pincers that traumatised a generation of children who played SimAnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Paracelsus posted:

It helps that they give her a cartoony shark-tooth mouth rather than the horrifying pincers that traumatised a generation of children who played SimAnt.

also no grinding sound

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Paracelsus posted:

Antlions were way more terrifying in that game, imo

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Jackard posted:

How could I ever overcome my disgust of spiders enough to read this? Gross!

This should be the title of a web novel which is a crossover between Kumoko and Bookworm.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pre-orderd Spice & Wolf Limited Collector's Omnibus the day it was announced through Amazon. Release day came and they changed my order to "Not yet available. We'll e-mail you as soon as we have a delivery date." Thanks a lot, Amazon.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Honestly, labyrinth Kumoko and post-labyrinth Kumoko are drastically different works. Thankfully, I like both of them, and the main character is no longer the only very good and fun character.

Also, two new chapters of Kumoko came out today, and, goddamn. Shiro, what are you doing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shun's story was a bog standard reincarnation thing, where he was reborn into a royal family, was lavished with praise for his broken talents, gathered a stable of potential love interests and a rival, all while building up the future threat he had to face. it was all completely unrelated to why the world had a built-in rpg system or the reason the class died in the first place.

only, now we have learned that all of his drama was pointless and largely artificial. kumoko was off doing big important things that coincidentally completely wrecked shun's fancy new handsome prince hero life. everything that went wrong for shun was because of kumoko, and none of it was about him at all.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
For Shun, it was the end of everything he knew. For Kumoko, it was merely a Tuesday.

But seriously, it hilarious seeing things from Shun's perspective when you know everything is just going to get wrecked by the monstrous spider goddess. Maybe it's schadenfreude, or maybe it's because I'm just tired of these tropes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

i dunno, maybe try reading a few chapters of the manga? they do a pretty good job of de-horrorfying a giant spider eating a bunch of weird bugs and animals.

The problem with the manga is that there isn't nearly enough of it.

They do a fantastic job of making Kumoko adorable, too. Wanna hug that giant spider.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jwang posted:

For Shun, it was the end of everything he knew. For Kumoko, it was merely a Tuesday.

But seriously, it hilarious seeing things from Shun's perspective when you know everything is just going to get wrecked by the monstrous spider goddess. Maybe it's schadenfreude, or maybe it's because I'm just tired of these tropes.

Maybe it's because I haven't read enough of these kinds of stories, but I kind of like Shun. He doesn't have the distinctive voice Kumoko does, but at the same time, he interacts with the people and world around him, instead of just killing and running away like she does. (Note: I've only read up until where the Blastron translation ends).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shun is unquestionably a better person than kumoko, but he can't do anything. being born as a human gave him too much of a disadvantage. while kumoko was struggling through the labyrinth he was a toddler. while kumoko was seizing godhood he was struggling with his old friend's new gender. while kumoko was plotting to save the world by killing half of its population he was in elementary school.

shun is a much kinder, well balanced person, but that means nothing when he lacks the knowledge and power to face the end of the world. if left to his own devices he would probably just kill ariel and congratulate himself on a job well done.

edit: poo poo, spoiler warning if you have only read the blastron chapters.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Should I check out Dungeon Defense? It's not in the OP, but people elsewhere seem to like it.

Neurophage fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 7, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

shun's story was a bog standard reincarnation thing, where he was reborn into a royal family, was lavished with praise for his broken talents, gathered a stable of potential love interests and a rival, all while building up the future threat he had to face. it was all completely unrelated to why the world had a built-in rpg system or the reason the class died in the first place.

only, now we have learned that all of his drama was pointless and largely artificial. kumoko was off doing big important things that coincidentally completely wrecked shun's fancy new handsome prince hero life. everything that went wrong for shun was because of kumoko, and none of it was about him at all.

Yeah, like! I really didn't particularly care about Shun's story when it was happening, but now that Kumoko's story has gotten far enough that there's overlapping events, putting Shun's story in perspective makes it a lot better. Just wish it didn't take so long to get this far! And now the author is back to working on the LN, so further updates will be sporadic for awhile, right when we're in a patch where i'm extremely interested in what comes next....

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neurophage posted:

Should I chech out Dungeon Defense? It's not in the OP, but people elsewhere seem to like it.

dungeon defense is quite good. the op isn't exactly a comprehensive list, and even then i think some of the stuff on there is unreadably bad even with my very, very low standards.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

dungeon defense is quite good. the op isn't exactly a comprehensive list, and even then i think some of the stuff on there is unreadably bad even with my very, very low standards.

But even the worst stuff in the new OP is better than everything in the old OP. You can tell the what the worst stuff in this OP is by looking for my name; I just listed everything I was reading that hadn't been mentioned by other people, and my standards are pretty low because of my long commute.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, that op recommended poo poo like shield hero.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

oh right, that op recommended poo poo like shield hero.

That OP recommended poo poo like shield hero and that wasn't nearly the worst of it.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

jwang posted:

Well, something to keep in mind is that Sariel is trying to get Shun to do something specific so I wouldn't discount him just yet.

shun is unquestionably a better person than kumoko, but he can't do anything. being born as a human gave him too much of a disadvantage. while kumoko was struggling through the labyrinth he was a toddler. while kumoko was seizing godhood he was struggling with his old friend's new gender. while kumoko was plotting to save the world by killing half of its population he was in elementary school.

shun is a much kinder, well balanced person, but that means nothing when he lacks the knowledge and power to face the end of the world. if left to his own devices he would probably just kill ariel and congratulate himself on a job well done.

edit: poo poo, spoiler warning if you have only read the blastron chapters.

Well, Kumoko did that when Shun was like 1 year old, as Iirc Sophia was something like that when that meeting happens.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

like, drat dude. i'm a broke-brain vet who likes anime and has read every translated chapter of mahouka, but at least i haven't sunk so low as to play wow in 2016.

You read mahouka? loving lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Namtab posted:

You read mahouka? loving lol

seriously, we already have a person for that

e: also I like Shield Hero but can in no way defend it, I guess I was just charmed by the stronger early stuff until it devolved into power fantasy #45625

the light novel/manga seems to keep him on the backfoot a lot more though

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Pewdiepie posted:

I think that if you read these web novels and you're an adult, you should take a step back and critically re-evaluate the life choices that led you down this path.
Thank you for the valuable life advice poster literally named after a YouTube celebrity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yinlock posted:

seriously, we already have a person for that

e: also I like Shield Hero but can in no way defend it, I guess I was just charmed by the stronger early stuff until it devolved into power fantasy #45625

the light novel/manga seems to keep him on the backfoot a lot more though

i am the person for that. i posted in the random name change thread.

i recently read through the translated chapters of reincarnator. it was actually pretty good. so, it did the standard dude sends his mind back through time into his past self thing. however, it diverged from the usual route of having the protagonist be an rear end in a top hat for no reason who uses his future knowledge solely to enrich himself and pursue petty vendettas. the entire human population of earth got sent into a sequence of increasingly dangerous words where they gain rpg poo poo like stats and skills. however, they hosed everything up and spent most of their time infighting or being ineffectual in general until the real thing started and they had to deal with other sentient races who were vastly superior to even rpg-boosted humans. while a few exceptional individuals made it pretty far, humanity just plain lost in the end. so, the protagonist-style incredibly lucky guy, incredibly ruthless guy, and incredibly benevolent leader chick crammed in everything they knew to prepare him to go back and properly prepare humanity.

so this protagonist has to basically speed run the progressively higher ranked worlds while handling the major problems in each one that no one ever bothered with (mostly because said threats were big and scary and dealing with them would have taken time away from being super powered assholes). plus, he has to pretend not to be a dick because no one would trust or follow him if he got as murder-happy as he would prefer while still ganking particularly harmful individuals.

i think the premise and scenarios are way more interesting than the execution, though.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If any of the things in the OP are legit trash or something cool should go in there let PM me or something, I've read way too few of them to actually know if they're good so I basically just put all of the suggestions people gave me that were talked about even vaguely positively.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear sounds fun (it's Isikai but its about a girl who basically becomes a Kirito level force of nature whenever she wears a silly bear onesie) but I know better so has anyone else read it?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

ConanThe3rd posted:

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear sounds fun (it's Isikai but its about a girl who basically becomes a Kirito level force of nature whenever she wears a silly bear onesie) but I know better so has anyone else read it?

I read that whenever there's a new release, it's fun and light-hearted. Sort of meandering is really the only criticism I can level - doesn't really feel like the author has any sort of over-arching plot planned, just super bear wandering around fixing problems that appear in front of her eyes. It might get boring after a while but I for one am still reading it.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

blastron posted:

If any of the things in the OP are legit trash or something cool should go in there let PM me or something, I've read way too few of them to actually know if they're good so I basically just put all of the suggestions people gave me that were talked about even vaguely positively.

There's nothing overtly bad. Aside from maybe Overlord, but that has enough of a following that it probably gets a pass.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

If I were going to cut any of my recommendations I'd probably cut the Demon Girl one, but not because there's anything objectionable in it, just that it might be premature to put it in the OP. Of the rest of them I think Sevens is the most objectionable because it's just way too much of a harem and it completely dominates the series, at least up to the point where I dropped it.

FriggenJ posted:

There's nothing overtly bad. Aside from maybe Overlord, but that has enough of a following that it probably gets a pass.

I think Overlord is probably one of the better ones, but it does have pretty graphic deaths at the tail end of volume seven that could really put a lot of people off. The series is pretty dark at times but the end of volume seven is substantially more graphic than the rest of the ten (now eleven) novels.

People should know what they're getting into, so a small warning wouldn't be out of place. For that matter Dungeon Defense also touches on things that could make people really uncomfortable.

Honestly Meng Hao's weird (and pretty recent?) habit of spanking women skeeves me out more than Overlord did though. What was in Overlord was gruesome and I didn't enjoy it, but it wasn't shown in any kind of favorable light and I didn't feel like the author wanted me to "enjoy" it either, where the spanking is part of how Meng Hao is showing how awesome he is and is really demeaning.

Then there's the rest of the web serials that aren't mentioned in this thread, of any language or origin, which seem to be in an arms race over just how abhorrent they can be.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sevens is just real slow paced. Six volumes before the plot really starts.

I did mention that it's basically the most vanilla story though!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Blood Spookydude posted:

Thank you for the valuable life advice poster literally named after a YouTube celebrity.

Nice!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
world of cultivation is mostly unreadable due to an intentionally awful translation

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

world of cultivation is mostly unreadable due to an intentionally awful translation

It's alright once you learn the vocabulary but the translator really shouldn't demand that of readers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh my god, shield girl is completely nuts. http://www.novelupdates.com/series/itai-no-wa-iya-nanode-bogyo-ryoku-ni-kyokufuri-shitai-to-omoimasu/

a girl playing a vrmmo with a full defense build doesn't sound too special, right? but she eats everything alive, starting with a zombie dragon.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
But, seriously, I really like World of Culiviation because other characters actually matter and accomplish worthwhile things on their own. And there's just more of a sense of the characters working as a team. They get to do things. And have areas they're better at than the MC, even if the MC's still terrifyingly talented in a range of areas.

Edit: it's the only series of its ilk ("male MC becomes awesome and amazing") that I haven't dropped. I dropped ISSTH for example, a few Japanese novels, Terror Infinity, Undefeated God of War, etc.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 7, 2016

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

But, seriously, I really like World of Culiviation because other characters actually matter and accomplish worthwhile things on their own. And there's just more of a sense of the characters working as a team. They get to do things. And have areas they're better at than the MC, even if the MC's still terrifyingly talented in a range of areas.

This sounds like it has a lot of similarities with The Realist Hero's Kingdom Restoration Chronicles, in a way, I'll have to check it out.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

HiveCommander posted:

This sounds like it has a lot of similarities with The Realist Hero's Kingdom Restoration Chronicles, in a way, I'll have to check it out.

Whoa, back from the dead!

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

HiveCommander posted:

Fair warning, the translator chose not to translate a number of terms, so you get things like ling where most people would use spirit, and so on. Similarly, the different cultivation ranks are not translated. And so on. That's why gimme the candy above was complaining about an unreadable translation. If you push through and learn the terms, it becomes easy enough to understand--it only introduces so many terms. But I agree that this is not a step the translator should demand of the readers.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 7, 2016

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Fair warning, the translator chose not to translate a number of terms, so you get things like ling where most people would use spirit, and so on. Similarly, the different cultivation ranks are not translated. And so on. That's why gimme the candy above was complaining about an unreadable translation. If you push through and learn the terms, it becomes easy enough to understand--it only introduces so many terms. But I agree that this is not a step the translator should demand of the readers.

Right, makes sense. From an outside perspective it seems to be a commentary on some of the bad English translation quality of some web novels. I personally prefer honorifics in my translations so I usually I see nothing wrong with keeping some words untranslated if there's a purpose, but it's easy to see why others might find it off-putting or make the translations harder to follow.

darkgray posted:

Whoa, back from the dead!

Now with 200% less shitposting for now

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I agree that a proper translation would be better, but another way to approach reading something like that is to just read it and ignore the vocabulary completely. You can pick up a vague meaning of the words from the context they're used in surprisingly quickly. That's what I did with world of cultivation. I looked at the separate vocabulary list, thought gently caress that, and just started reading and let my eyes glaze over the untranslated words. For example, almost 400 chapters later and I still don't know what jindan means in english but I know that it's about the highest cultivation rank displayed in the story thus far (aside from the ranks of the obligatory ghost mentor characters).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you can tolerate that bullshit, good for you. it drives me nuts, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm not reading it but isn't there some javascript kicking around that translates the translation into English?