Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

I never knew staring at rocks could be so intense. :catstare:
Achieve enlightenment by realizing the stars are right :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Recommendation time! I got reincarnated and mistaken as a genius is a fun little reincarnation story. Basically, the MC becomes reincarnated, and in a series of coincidences, he became lauded as a genius. From making super lethal chemical weapons, designing intercept missiles with ridiculous specs, to designing power armors and cures for incurable diseases, the MC bumbles from one situation to another, making himself look like a brilliant genius when in fact it was nothing but luck.

Translation quality is mediocre, but the story is enjoyable enough for me to overlook it. If you want something of better quality, you're probably better off reading Ciaphas Cain stories.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
The kumoko manga has some new chapters since the last time i checked and is now In the middle of the monkey battle

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kumo-Desu-ga--Nani-ka/Ch-013-002?id=331933

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

poor meng hao, he just didn't know how to play the game :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh my loving god.

https://myanimelist.net/news/48858757

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ugh, I tried reading that and it was Not Good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That story would've been much better if it was an actual Death March.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Death March was very low on my list of probable anime adaptations, what with all the brothel visits. TenSlime seemed a more likely candidate, given the sales it's been getting. Suddenly even an Arifureta anime seems possible, in spite of the endless loli sex. Dark times await us.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that person, later on... is not by any means good even by ln standards. i just really like the premise of an inexplicably invincible dude with a glass heart, who literally runs away crying whenever he encounters even the slightest rejection. unfortunately, the fact that every woman he meets is actually madly in love with him effectively ruins that premise.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that person, later on... is not by any means good even by ln standards. i just really like the premise of an inexplicably invincible dude with a glass heart, who literally runs away crying whenever he encounters even the slightest rejection. unfortunately, the fact that every woman he meets is actually madly in love with him effectively ruins that premise.

Hahaha what? I managed to get through all of 2 chapters with how bad it was, but it's that bad?

Is anime production really that cheap in comparison to the money it makes, that they can adapt below bottom barrel and have it be profitable?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's more that there's a season of shows to be made, and they can't all be winners.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

It's more that there's a season of shows to be made, and they can't all be winners.

How do anime seasons "work"? Is there some minimum quantity they need to push out or something?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well you see, there are a bunch of studios whose job is to make an anime. They can't go "lol this stuff is awful, we're not going to make anything this season" for the same reason you can't just arbitrarily decide to take a season off of work.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 8, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Well you see, there are a bunch of studios whose job is to make an anime. They can't go "lol this stuff is awful, we're not going to make anything this season" for the same reason you can't just arbitrarily decide to take a season off of work.

Hmm, I suppose I understand. And I suppose LNs are a commonly adapted format because they can be cheap to get the rights to, cheaper than adapting other media or writing an original script?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh is that what you meant?

No, 90% of LN anime are greenlit by the company that publishes the LN in the first place. They're just big old advertisements, they don't need to make a profit so long as they increase sales of the book.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh is that what you meant?

No, 90% of LN anime are greenlit by the company that publishes the LN in the first place. They're just big old advertisements, they don't need to make a profit so long as they increase sales of the book.

Oh! Huh, that's the opposite of how I understood it, I thought LNs weren't that big of profit centers and anime would get a bigger share. That it's the opposite, that's interesting!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, where did you get that that person, later on... is being animated?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

uh, where did you get that that person, later on... is being animated?

If you use bold or a link to the novelupdates page, it's easier to figure out that you're talking about an entirely different title, rather than just commenting on the post above yours.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

If you use bold or a link to the novelupdates page, it's easier to figure out that you're talking about an entirely different title, rather than just commenting on the post above yours.

fair enough, but

Krunge posted:

Hahaha what? I managed to get through all of 2 chapters with how bad it was, but it's that bad?

Is anime production really that cheap in comparison to the money it makes, that they can adapt below bottom barrel and have it be profitable?

made it seem like he knew the bad wn i was talking about, then inexplicably jumped to it being animated.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

fair enough, but

made it seem like he knew the bad wn i was talking about, then inexplicably jumped to it being animated.

Never having heard of "that person, later on...", I assumed you were talking about the main character of Death March, which is being animated. So maybe that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i guess that title is so dumb that i should have been more clear.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Never having heard of "that person, later on...", I assumed you were talking about the main character of Death March, which is being animated. So maybe that.

Ah, same.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so to clarify, death march is the terrible wn about a guy with a pedoharem and no challenges and that person, later on... is the terrible wn about a guy who runs off crying, becomes invincible, and then every so often runs off crying again.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad we've taxonified our terrible WNs.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Krunge posted:

I'm glad we've taxonified our terrible WNs.

All we need now is a goon to make separate flow charts for different flavors of wn, that way we eliminate the very need for posting because the flowcharts already stated those things for us.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, good news. the guy who has been doing issth just started translating a thought through eternity. the group that was doing it seems to have stalled out despite having received "donations" for many chapters in advance. it is starting from chapter 1 again, but once issth is completed he will probably overtake the other guys very quickly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Getting donations to translate things still seems really scummy to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, if it was solely down to enthusiasts there would be far fewer active projects. so long as they don't claim ownership over the works they translate it doesn't really bother me.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

eh, if it was solely down to enthusiasts there would be far fewer active projects. so long as they don't claim ownership over the works they translate it doesn't really bother me.

Yeah, I feel like there's a huge difference between "for every 50$ donation I will translate a chapter a few days faster and upload onto the internet that anyone can read for no cost, indefinitely" and "donate 50$ to get access to my unofficially translated book/s" . The latter would be extremely skeezy without permission from the original authors, but the former is just a translator tip. I mean imagine it this way - you're paying a guy a couple bucks to translate a publicly available free book for you. Would it really be much different than, say, buying a piece of translation software to translate the book for you?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 11, 2016

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
It's not like the Chinese authors/publishers aren't aware of these translations by this point. If they thought the donations for extra chapters thing was scummy, they would have probably shut down Wuxiaworld instead of officially licensing them as translators.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mygna posted:

It's not like the Chinese authors/publishers aren't aware of these translations by this point. If they thought the donations for extra chapters thing was scummy, they would have probably shut down Wuxiaworld instead of officially licensing them as translators.

There was actually an announcement recently that Wuxiaworld would be doing official translations of 20~ titles for a very popular web novel site in China.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, I feel like there's a huge difference between "for every 50$ donation I will translate a chapter a few days faster and upload onto the internet that anyone can read for no cost, indefinitely" and "donate 50$ to get access to my unofficially translated book/s" . The latter would be extremely skeezy without permission from the original authors, but the former is just a translator tip. I mean imagine it this way - you're paying a guy a couple bucks to translate a publicly available free book for you. Would it really be much different than, say, buying a piece of translation software to translate the book for you?

Machine translators suck a lot, I'd rather pay an actual human for their time than pay for some software that spits out sentences barely more legible than Google Translate (which is free).
I don't see anything wrong with having paypal donation links on their site and what have you; since people are using their own spare time to translate stuff for the rest of us, let alone the costs associated with website setup and hosting.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

HiveCommander posted:

Machine translators suck a lot, I'd rather pay an actual human for their time than pay for some software that spits out sentences barely more legible than Google Translate (which is free).
I don't see anything wrong with having paypal donation links on their site and what have you; since people are using their own spare time to translate stuff for the rest of us, let alone the costs associated with website setup and hosting.

Unfortunately, some humans doing translations don't write much better than google translate

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

gwrtheyrn posted:

Unfortunately, some humans doing translations don't write much better than google translate

I'm not so sure about that. I made the mistake of trying to read ahead on Ze Tian Ji on lnmtl and, wow, oh boy, I suddenly have a much greater respect for even the shittiest of human translators.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah i'm not saying machine translators are worth using in this case, more that paying a person to translate it for you and paying a machine to translate it for you are roughly the same ethically, neither are stealing from the author.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm not so sure about that. I made the mistake of trying to read ahead on Ze Tian Ji on lnmtl and, wow, oh boy, I suddenly have a much greater respect for even the shittiest of human translators.

What about this guy?

Looking at his newer stuff, I think he finally got an editor. I feel sorry for that dude.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Is the title meant to be 'Leveling up is making me invincible'? Because that title is ehhh

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

BlitzBlast posted:

What about this guy?

Looking at his newer stuff, I think he finally got an editor. I feel sorry for that dude.

Still better than lnmtl. :suicide:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunno if this is where lns go or not, but hey

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/809857148842901504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I recently found Cultivation Chat Group. Basic premise: college student gets invited by accident to an internet chat group for cultivators. He thinks they're just deluded roleplayers at first. Some decent comedic touches in there.