Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When wuxiaworld translated the qidian "most popular stories" tables I learned there's an entire genre of Chinese webnovels about time traveling back to WW2 to gently caress up the invading Japanese forces. I don't think anyone's every translated any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I started reading Way of Choice on Friday while Nier was decrypting and I have yet to actually start playing it.

It's kind of ridiculous how much better written it is than any other web novel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Lyon posted:

Way of Choices has got to be the best written web novel I've ever come across. Every character feels like they have their own agency and goals, most of them are even likable. There was a lot of build up recently and drat was this not satisfying,
My favorite moment so far is the first time the protagonist curses.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I'm actually increasingly starting to think that Kumoko might not actually be human. There have been a number of hints that she doesn't really identify with the appearance of this Wakaba girl, and she doesn't seem to really identify with humans in general. If she was some sort of non-human (though not sure what since only humans have mentioned being in the classroom) it might explain why she doesn't think of death/killing in the same way normal humans would. It's sort of like in that one Magical Girl Raising Project volume where a turtle is transformed into a magical girl.
This spoils your speculation so don't read it until you've caught up. I am super impressed you figured that out early. I always thought it came from being reincarnated into a spider.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 26, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My favorite part of the second half of Spider Girl is the moment she realizes she can just intimidate people into doing what she wants instead of manipulating or explaining things, which she's terrible at.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I want to say they're all about the same age they were when they died, since they all recognize each other immediately.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I've always assumed Shun and Sue were somehow going to become the wrenches in Shiro's plans because otherwise all their chapters would serve no purpose.

Tamba posted:

The LN also got an extra volume worth of content between her defeating the Earth Dragon Araba and encountering Baby-Sophia for the first time that ends with her fighting Mother head-on (instead of just getting a random mega-levelup out of nowhere).
Makes sense, that was always the weakest part of the story.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I just noticed that it seems like a lot of these WNs release/released a chapter a day. How do the writers keep up that kind of schedule?
Have you noticed how many web novels frequently repeat themselves from paragraph to paragraph, repeat basically the same plot several times, or have entire chapters about minutia barely relevant to the story?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My Disciple Died Yet Again is highly recommended. Each arc brutally parodies a different subgenre of cultivation or reincarnation novels.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 9, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The apocalypse war has been going for what feels like hundreds of chapters at this point as both sides reveal their twelfth or thirteenth super secret hidden backup trump cards and Shui Dongliu is still being enigmatic and thinking to himself the true purpose of all this has yet to be revealed.

It's certainly epic but Er Gen is really not playing to his strengths here.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Slime novel is very boring and has a bad translation. There are other demon lords and reincarnated people who are just as broken as the protagonist but it still manages to be boring because so much time is spent on effortlessly creating a monster nation far more advanced than any of the human nations.

Maybe that part eventually got interesting since IIRC the reason the setting is still medieval is that a rampaging horde of angels regularly passes through and murders the poo poo out of anyone who creates advanced technology.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 16, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's about to be shenanigans again though.

A Will Eternal has some really, really funny parts and leans even more into shenanigans than early ISSTH. At least as far as the first translation got.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 25, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Who's that in the lower right? Black/Kuro?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/licensing-issues-of-wuxiaworld.37613/
http://www.wuxiaworld.com/wuxiaworld-formal-response-to-qidian-licensing-issues-post/

Qidian changed their mind about letting WW license all the most popular novels after putting up their own english site, shocking.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 22, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, if I've invested 1600 chapters in something I at least want a thorough ending. It was certainly a lot better than I Eat Tomatoes' endings.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

There's something about translated Chinese WN prose that I just can't deal with. Like, that excerpt FriggenJ posted is translated much better than most, and it still has this awkward feel to it.

edit: If I had to describe it, it has a sort of "hammy" feel to it. Like everything is really overblown.
That's the good part.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

ugh man kumo's going Star Wars Prequel territory.
I probably wouldn't mind this long flashback in the middle of the climax of the story if it didn't coincide with the author's output dropping to one chapter per month.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I gave up on Spirit Realm after the protagonist decided he was going to stop being nice to anyone and just murder at the first provocation, and immediately afterwards everyone started thinking about how much cooler and sexier he seemed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Socks4Hands posted:

I stumbled on a few of these and holy hell it's like I've been sucked into a black hole of the trashiest and nerdiest yet most addictive garbage I've ever seen. I couldn't have even comprehended that poo poo like this existed but now it's what keeps me going.
Speaking of which, Zhu Yao loving calls out a whole genre:

quote:

“It’s not that I don’t want to help you, but you have seen it yourself as well. No matter which world, slaughter and schemes were widespread, and all practitioners even viewed killing stealing treasures as common occurrences. It’s as if as long as they could raise their own cultivation and ascend, everything they do is right and proper.” She heaved a deep sigh, and sternly said. “Realmspirit, I have long wanted to ask you. Just what does the so-called ‘cultivation’ in that world, actually cultivates? And the Heavenly Dao they strive towards, what kind of Dao is it? Why are those people who kill countless others able to live an enjoyable and long life, while good people like the girl Ying Luo are not treated well, causing even their future lives to be implicated as well?”

“Could it be that the so-called Heavenly Dao, is the Dao of massacre? I just can’t understand! IN the world I live in, there’s nothing more important than life itself. Killing others, to people like us, is something very terrifying, and something that we can never forget or tolerate. But in that world, in the eyes of most practitioners, it has already become part of their daily lives. The aspect of life is the same, but why is it that on this side, it’s prioritized over all others, while on that side it’s being looked down upon to such an extent?”

“It’s as if kindness and tolerance are seen as disgraceful by the common people. Realmspirit, don’t you think there’s a very huge problem with such a world? Be it Xiao Yi or Yi Ling, no matter how extreme their beliefs are, when traced back to the roots, they are both influenced by that world. If the world is as such, then there will similarly be another bug existence that can destroy the world in the future. The girl Ying Luo was right. The true Devil isn’t the Devil Race, but in the hearts of all practitioners.”

“Realmspirit, if you want to talk about bugs, then the true bug is the Heavenly Dao that created all these and connived them. If we see the Three Realms as a game, the problem lies in the main engine. No matter how well the additional procedures are fixed, it’s impossible to stop the entire game from collapsing. Realmspirit, what are getting me to fix? The Heavenly Dao?”
My Disciple Died Yet Again is real good

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
:siren: Long boring Spider Girl flashback finally over. :siren:

Even the author pokes fun at it in the chapter title.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Disciple had a kind of confusing and meandering run in the divine realm arc. Definitely its low point.

But now it's really good because the protagonist and her master made it back to Earth and you can imagine how that goes.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 26, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
No one should have to go through that. :smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I mean, if you've read one xianxia story and one female reincarnator story (which I haven't but every summary for one on NU is almost exactly the same so I feel like I know the conventions from that alone) you know enough to enjoy the first two arcs of MDDYA. After that it kind of evolves into its own thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I really liked it except for the sequel setup ending.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I can see why you'd think that but you should keep reading because that's not what it ends up being about at all.

Also, Release That Witch has some interesting censoring:

quote:

After m*king love

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 13, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
You're not missing anything. It's the quintessential average guy (just like you!) and his collection of stray girls easily defeat all challenges novel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
"This place is great! Everyone's an rear end in a top hat, so nobody cares about collateral damage!" :buddy:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 18, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I hope that rabbit keeps showing up even after he becomes a god.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Many parts of ZTJ are the best (like every time Tang Thirty Six does anything) but the Empress's explanation of how to kill everyone is certainly one of the most best.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I chose one of the worst moments possible to finally finish catching up with ZTJ :supaburn: :f5:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
He really just needs to learn to have an internal monologue.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

owl milk posted:

im no writer but that cliche poo poo is way too easy to do
Now just 299 more chapters and you'll be a successful WN author.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Sometimes I wish Dungeon Defense wasn't even an isekai novel and just about the protagonist's insanely hosed up family instead.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My Disciple if you want more comedy, Ze Tian Ji/Way of Choices if you want more drama and action (although it is also frequently very funny.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think if you're at all familiar with how male and female-targeted power fantasies work you'll mostly understand what Disciple is parodying.

But if you're curious, I'd go with I Shall Seal the Heavens or A Will Eternal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's okay, Yu Ren seems like he'll be a good emperor.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
RIP Empress, you were pretty cool.

Curious to see whether CCS is going to stay the poperentice or leave in disgust. Comedy option: he goes up north to fight the demons in disguise and he and Qiushan Jun become BFFs without knowing it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I haven't read Forge of Destiny so I don't know how it compares, but I'd say most xianxia isn't particularly creative when it comes to fights. Mostly it comes down to who has the higher level.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Speaking of hilarious scaling, the main character in Desolate Era just spent fifty thousand years hiding invisibly by a (magic) door waiting for someone to open it so he could sneak in.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
tbh I find I Eat Tomatoes' habit of adding a zero to all the numbers for every 100 chapters that passes in his stories to be part of his charm. I'm just picturing everything normally, then he casually mentions this city is the size of the solar system, and I laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Silento posted:

The only IET novel I've read is CD, and I was really enjoying it until the last book or two pissed me off and made me think back to the rest of the story, at which point I realized there was a lot of really lame poo poo in the story that I didn't notice at the time because of constant changes in scenery. The fight scenes, especially, were really boring most of the time. Linley just turned on his gravity field and won, again. I think the biggest thing that annoyed me is how enormous in size and impotence the supporting cast was. IIRC, Linley's mom gets brought back at the end, but only has one line before the last fight and that's it? Also the reveal at the end was REALLY dumb. And no one was allowed to die except the old grandpa, the rest just came back to do nothing, ever.
Well, good news, you can skip all his other work because it's exactly the same story in different settings.