Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

jwang posted:

Kumo-chan scanlation got updated. Biohazard Spider is the best.

I was partial to her labcoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm enjoying the manga of Kumo Desu Ga, but the latest web novel chapters have been kinda... eh. The comedy scenes aren't quite as funny as I think the author thinks they are, and the troop movement ones seem perfunctory to bring the story up to the 'present' of the Elf-Village fight. There have been a few good ones here and there, which is why I've kept reading, but...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This started off really bad but actually ended up becoming quite competent. At first it seemed like it was just going to be a D&D wizard amazing and owning everyone in the Harry Potter universe, but it actually ends up having a coherent story.

Yeah, it was pretty decent! The author has a good grip on setting up comedy situations, and knows when to keep a gag running and when to kill it off. Unfortunately, they seem to have lost interest midway through the story and wandered off (no updates in two years).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tamba posted:

The elf girl on the volume 5 cover is the teacher, yes (volume 4 is Sophia, the vampire). She stopped talking like that once things got serious, I don't remember her doing it at all in volume 4.

So who's the other elf on the cover? At first, I thought maybe it was elf-teacher's evil father, but then I noticed the breasts, so...? I don't remember any other notable female elves in the story.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i want to see how it ends, but after parallel will bit the dust kumoko has never been the same.

Parallel will has (somewhat) lived on in the Remnants of the Nightmare (aka those amazing brats), imho. I'd love for them to get a bigger role in the story, rather than just a cameo or two.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 22, 2017

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

the story kind of lost focus after she became a god, you know?

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I feel like the story is very different now. Not bad, but different. The 'first' story was Kumoko learning to be an effective Combat Monster. The 'second' story was taking a standard jRPG swords and sorcery story and flipping it by having Kumoko be the mastermind behind the scenes, driving both the heroes and the villains along. Now it seems like the story will soon change again. I wonder if we'll get things on a more planetary/galactic scale? We've been told Kumoko is thinking about just ditching the planet as soon as her work is done, but she's getting all her 'personal' connections thrown in her face at the moment. I could see her temporarily leaving the setting if, say, the 'heroes' come to understand her work and reject her, but if that's the case, I would see her eventually getting lonely and returning.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Whoa, Kumoko!

Okay, yeah, I realize she's been trending towards the 'eldritch horror' school of godhood for a while, but 'cracks in the sky, filled with eyes, that devour all they see' is pretty freaking Lovecraft.

I wonder if Kuro will point out that by the end of this fight, Kumoko will have probably absorbed enough energy to save the planet without any of the big sacrifices that were planned. Now if anyone can convince her to voluntarily give it away!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

It was interesting when they mentioned how Katia, despite having the mind of his/her previous male self, no longer feels attraction to women due to having a female body.

Question - how long has Kumoko been a spider by the time she defeats the eel monster and evolves into the assassin form? I get the impression that the time in her chapters and the time in Shun's chapters (which seems to have been 12-15 years so far) do not run parallel.

I don't remember if they give an exact time frame but Shun is definitely still a baby when Kumoko's adventures are going on. Everyone was transferred to the fantasy world at the same time, and while a human pregancy takes 9 months, apparently a spider takes way less time (a month?) to hatch from an egg. So at the point where Kumoko is facing the Middle Layer, Shun may not even have been born yet.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'd be curious to see how human fighters/mages would fare against Kumoko at various stages in her development, because I have a feeling that by the time she ever encounters more humans she'll be virtually unbeatable.

Yeah, for that we'd have to go on stat-blocks alone, and that's a pretty bad judge when humans can be extremely versatile in spell-casting ability.

Silver2195 posted:

She also claims she would rather die than marry a man, though. So I guess she's asexual now?

It's a very minor point, and I may have misinterpreted the translation, but a later chapter claims back on Earth he was always hitting on a certain girl in a really flashy and obnoxious way because he was maybe-gay and didn't want to face it / didn't want anyone to find out. And this may be why he ended up a girl in the new world.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: You know, when you think about it there are a bunch of jobs that would be vastly more useful in a medieval setting than being a programmer or whatever, but these stories need to be tailored to their audience I guess.

Maybe Ascendance of a Bookworm? I haven't read all of it, but Blastron, the same guy translating Kumoko, is translating that. It's about a girl who was obsessed with books, to the point where she died when an earthquake happened and all her books fell off the shelves and crushed her. She woke up in a medieval world, the daughter of peasants, and now her big quest is to find a way to make books, since they're currently exceedingly rare and really only owned by Nobles. At the point Blastron is at, she's still figuring out how to cheaply and reliably produce paper, but I imagine by the end of the story she'll have worked her way up to a Gutenberg press or something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Do the plot threads with the other classmates ever go anywhere? In a way I find them more interesting because it's sort of a foregone conclusion that Kumoko will defeat any enemies she goes up against.

Without spoilers: It does go somewhere, and Kumoko's role in the story will change pretty shortly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

kumoko was born with the highest tier agility bonus skill, but she rarely ever seemed to have a speed advantage against her opponents.

Disagree. At the start, she is so low-statted and low level that basically everything can one or two -hit her. She basically only survives due to being really fast and dodging a lot.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My favorite running gag in the second half is when she has a long, in-depth internal monolog that reaches some decision, and then she turns to the person next to her and says nothing but "And, so, for that reason, let's go." And then teleports everyone somewhere with no warning or clarification.

She's really bad at communicating.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hehe. Now you know why she kept showing up in appraisal as 'Small lesser taratect, no name'.

By the way, I love the subtle hint the manga version gives for all her memories being 'false': any time she has a flashback, none of the human beings are shown with faces.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There's two questions there:

a) How did Ariel come to be?
b) How did Ariel come to be the Demon King?

The former is being answered right now in the narrative. The latter was answered a while ago, probably close to where you are in the story. She basically becomes the Demon King because anyone powerful can qualify, and she is extremely above average in power, being so old. Minor spoilers: Yeah, she wants as many people as possible to die, so she's stirring up a war and throwing everything the demons have at it, hoping the humans do the same and there's massive casualties on both sides.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

All the human reincarnators are about the same age, so Sophia can't be any older than Shun and and his crew.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I don't have any concrete numbers in my head, but Sophia definitely acts like a bratty 15-year-old, so I'm going to go with that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Man, Kumoko's story is so tight. Every major detail was obviously planned out from the very beginning, and it's interesting how they basically hinted at a bunch of later plot developments through the Shun chapters early on.

Probably it helped that the author was re-writing the story for the Light Novel version as they went.

Although I guess the light novel switches a few things around, so it'll be interesting to see if the story ends in a different way.

Two changes I know about :
- One of the students gets reincarnated as a dragon-type monster, whom Kumoko almost ate as an egg, and was later raised by Shun. I guess she gets a human form later.
- I guess Kumoko takes longer to become a god. All the roadtripping with Ariel happens when she's still in her arania stage.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One thing that I think might become a wrinkle in Kumoko's story is all the energy she just absorbed. Ostensibly, that energy was what was going to be used to heal the planet, before Potimas stole it. So rather than destroy the system and kill the majority of the planet's inhabitants to fix the planet, couldn't she, hypothetically, use that energy for its original purpose? The issue is that Kumoko is rarely willing to give up personal power for the benefit of others, so I could foresee a situation where some or all of her allies get annoyed with her selfishness.

Sindai posted:

I've always assumed Shun and Sue were somehow going to become the wrenches in Shiro's plans because otherwise all their chapters would serve no purpose.

I figure the Shun chapters serve two purposes for the story, as is:

1) Compare and contrast with Kumoko's life. Kumoko had a rough-and-tumble childhood where she had to figure out everything on her own. Shun got handed everything on a silver platter. There's some good comedic stuff here where Kumoko makes a decision after a lot of agonizing, cut to Shun talking to his friend about how that decision would be the dumbest thing ever, etc.

2) Subverting the classic 'reborn in an rpg' premise. Shun's story, taken alone, is really close to a a standard jRPG. Hero of destiny, makes some friends, loses his home, gets taunted by the villain, goes on a long journey of discovery and leveling up, reaches climatic battle, has showdown with big villain, wins. The fact that everything that happens in Shun's life, good and bad, is the result of Kumoko's actions, deliberate and accidental, is like a huge 'gently caress you' to the generic story structure.

I agree they still need to do something in the story, and the fact that even at this late date Kumoko does not feel the need to explain herself to anyone will probably trip her up here, but I have no idea if they'll be the final antagonists or not. Something pitched in the comments of the Kumoko translation that I hadn't considered is that Sue might be a god-scion like shield-guy is for Kuro. She's unnaturally powerful for no explained reason, and if she was a god-scion for the Goddess, it would certainly lead to a shakeup of the status quo.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Sue, her yandere crush on Shun seems strange if she's a Goddess clone like Hyrinth is for Kuro. I can't think of a reason for her to be so obsessed with this random reincarnator guy, and it's not like she developed her feelings slowly; it seems like she was a huge brocon since an early age. Speaking of Sue, what is she talking about when she mentions Greed allowing her to capture the feelings of her brother? Doesn't Greed just let you absorb skills from people you defeat?

I don't have a definite answer here, but I will note that it was the Goddess that overrode Kumoko when spider-girl tried to prevent a new Hero from being named after Shun's older brother died. The Goddess intended for there to be a new Hero, even when it was loving up save-the-planet plans, and since she's running the system, she effectively 'chose' Shun to be the new Hero. So she might have plans for him. Sue's weird creepy obsession with Shun might be a reflection of that? (And can I just say, incest-played-for-laughs is not my cup of tea, so I hope I'm wrong and Sue's role in the upcoming events is small.)

the specifics of what taboo reveals still hasn't been explained

It's been too long since I read that section. Wasn't Taboo lv10 when Kumoko was unrelatedly contacted and told she wasn't a former human? I was assuming that was what set her off, not the info in Taboo.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

That "reincarnated as a slime" WN is bad, right? Its good reviews on novelupdates remind me of the good reviews for other bad series (ironically I find that reviews praising a series' protagonist is usually a sign that the protagonist is going to be some terrible wish fulfillment vehicle).

I read a handful of the manga version of that, and it was pretty dull. There were no challenges because he gets like, not one but three completely broken abilities right off the bat. (Ability to copy abilities. Ability to make anyone think he is super powerful. Ability to permanently buff allies.)

Its one good point, at least in the part I read, was that he had no interest in enslaving or raping anyone, just founding a town.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FWIW, Blastron, I'm enjoying the hell out of reading Bookworm in your translation. Your pace is fine.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Man, Kumoko's WN hasn't updated since March 18th. I need my fix! I didn't even mind that it was going all end-of-FFIV on me!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I believe it's been mentioned here before, but I've been enjoying Mother of Learning, which is an English web story about a unlikely protagonist in a fictional magical world.

- Groundhogs Day antics as our hero, Zorian, repeats the same month, over and over again, gradually taking advantage of this to become really, really skilled at magic.
- Characters that actually get decently fleshed out. Zorian starts out as a complete rear end and gradually becomes pretty likable over time. The author is also pretty good as having Zorian be wrong about things, in a fun way.
- A race of magical psychic spiders that features heavily in the ongoing plot.
- A preplanned story that will have a set beginning/middle/end (we're like just starting the "end" third of the story, I think.)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 5, 2017

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think 'stuck in a timeloop' counts as a special ability. Honestly, you're going to have a hard time finding stories where the protagonist has absolutely no advantages, because if they didn't, then some random extra could duplicate their feats and do the job better than them. About the closest you're going to come is a story where the protagonist has above-average will power and is willing to go through some extremely strenuous training that anyone is theoretically capable of doing, but most would consider too painful to attempt.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Heh. I've got a bookmarked reddit search for Kumo Desu Ga, since it's the easiest way to check if any new manga/webnovel translations are up. Apparently some 4channer decided that a whole month hiatus was too long and 'no one' was translating Kumoko at the moment. Sorry, Blastr0n, looks like you're out of a job. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Welcome back, Blastron.