Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i read web novels casually as a way to connect to my friends, who all were run over by a series of trucks in high school and are now trapped in various mmos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

That super-short WN someone posted about the driver grabbing the wheel of the magical sentient Japanese Truck, making it miss the intended teenager, and instead travelling into the fantasy world and doing a hit-and-run on the king has me thinking--has anybody done a reverse reincarnation novel yet, where a fantasy monster gets hit by a runaway cart and wakes up as a human in modern-day Japan? It'd be a scheme by the gods to make up for declining birthrates, naturally :v:

my man have u heard of drakengard

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Forge/Threads of Destiny, really random question - what does Bao Qian look like? I feel like I missed/forget when he was initially introduced and I'm not sure how to picture him.

His character sort of embodies part of what I like about this series; the protagonist will just "organically" meet new people who may or may not become a bigger part of her life. Normally this is the sort of thing you wouldn't really want to do in a normal-length narrative, but it works very well for this sort of "following a person's life" long serial.

id say a bigger problem is that ling qi has way too many abilites to keep track of. most of the fights she just uses her flute + shadow movement + wood regen but she has an excessively large number of other skills

unrelated but i hate the litrpg genre. everything that defines it is anathema to interesting storytelling.

Stexils fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 13, 2021

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

yeah the abundance of skill/training descriptions is not great but its not that bad compared to other webnovels. one i dropped early introduced 5 or 6 seperate power systems one after the other for the MC to be good at. i have no idea why they didnt just combine them all. some people just really want to write korean mmo worlds.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

it does the thing where all the main characters inventions are plagiarized but theres a bunch of scenes where everyone sucks his dick about being a supergenius constantly. he starts as a musician and just copies beethoven compositions. its a strange decision considering it's, you know, a text medium and the author could just have his character come up with his own compositions.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

every vrmmo novel:

the year is 2150. everyone in the world plays one game, because its the best game ever. it has every mechanic that was patched out of everquest in the first 6 months

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i love when modern-setting chinese webnovels talk about trump. they always characterize him wrong and its always incredibly revealing. like a little window directly into their soul

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

depends on the author. the racists and fascists fawn over him and depict him as the only smart guy in the room (usually translating to either working with the protagonist or being the only one who's capable of threatening their interests). the ones who don't really "get" US politics depict him as basically a normal politician whose rhetoric is just bluster. the completely insane depict him more or less the same way as qanon does, as an outside agent who poses a threat to the entrenched political dynasties.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Silynt posted:

Arrogant Young Master Template A Variation 4 is dumping 71(!) chapters on Royal Road as I post this, almost as many as had previously been available. This story hasn’t been updated in almost 2 years and I personally don’t really remember where it left off, but I remember enjoying its satirical take on cultivation. I’ll probably try to start over and see if it holds my attention up to the new content.

this author really needs an editor. not just a story editor but also a grammar editor. he keeps omitting a "the" from sentences and its incredibly distracting. plus there's way too many pov changes, it's really messy. i thought it might get better after the first few chapters but it doesnt

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

who's even reading or even posting in the comments on web serials tbh

the sickest and most degenerate freaks on the planet

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

one punch man ruined an entire generation or webnovel authors

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if he has to read and undestand the book to gain its powers isnt that just. reading.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

reverend insanity was cancelled but it still has 2000+ chapters

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a fantasy about self esteem. oh, surely in some other workplace i'd be valued, respected, and because this is still webnovels we are talking about, loved by a harem of underage girls. and then, surely my former coworkers and bosses would deeply regret my absence.

or at least that's how it started. now some of them are just imitations of imitations which don't quite manage even this simple, slightly pathetic premise.

a lot of those make the workplace so comically bad that it turns around into making the main character look like a moron for putting up with it for so long. like if you spent five years working at a place where everyone hates you, you're paid like poo poo, you never get any time off, you do all the work for the entire office, and you never get any credit for anything... maybe you deserve to be exploited because that's some terminal peasant brain

speaking of copy-of-a-copy the oddest webnovels ive read are those that dont seem to understand their own premise. like they write a power fantasy where the main character is super powerful and then....he just acts like a loser sad sack who gets pushed around and never actually stands up for himself? idk who those stories are even for. it seems to be only japanese webnovels that do this, its very weird.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so-called black companies are a very real problem in japan, though i'd expect most aren't nearly as exaggerated as the manga versions. it's just capitalism squeezing workers, same as usual. still, the basic conflict of "this job is absolutely terrible but it is the only one i could get" is very relatable.

yeah but they usually dont set up the job as the only one they can get or the MC needing the job for whatever reason, the character just inexplicably sticks around for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, the idea that there'd be better job alternatives or a functional social safety net in Japan does not seem like the background assumption that the intended readership would have. Black companies exist for a reason, and it's not because getting up and leaving is normally easy.

but all wish-fulfillment comics/novels about black companies feature literally exactly that, the mc becomes immediately happier after leaving/being fired and finding out he was Being Held Back by his crappy boss/coworkers. which again, just makes him look like an idiot for putting up with the abuse.