Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDkt79gV6xQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Kumoko's different personalities might all have their own voice actor.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Its been agonizing waiting for the official translation just to catch up where Blastron left off. Although, the volume coming out next Tuesday should mostly be new stuff.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What is a cultivator novel?

Basically a bunch of martial arts assholes fighting and stealing from each other so they can become immortal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xianxia_novel
Also, they usually call the protagonist a really kind person despite them being a bloodthirsty psychopath. They justify this by showing them occasionally sparing the life of somebody who was a minor inconvenience to them.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 19, 2018

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Megazver posted:

I enjoyed the first 500 chapters but I hear it gets worse after that and the ending (it's complete in Chinese) is a wet fart.
*Looks at remaining number of chapter, looks up non-spoilers of ending*
Oh man it sucks that the ending is apparently super rushed. It sounds like the author was just making the smart move of jumping ship from Qidian though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

LLSix posted:

But those and the different kinds of paper making were the best part of Ascendance of a Bookworm. That stuff happens way less in chapter 2 and the plot lines that took its place are way worse.

The food making stuff sucks though. Like the fact that the peasants are ignoring a perfectly viable food source. Even if it doesn't taste very good, somebody starving is going to eat it, and presumably try and find a way to make it more palatable.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The reason YGGDRASIL was being shut down in Overlord was that it was a lovely MMO that nobody played anymore. The only reason it was ever popular was because the players could basically customize everything.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Argue posted:

Delete the post saying you're dropping it then post a fake chapter 97 where Maine dies via books again, and then reincarnates in the stone age.

Fixed that for you.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Log Horizon has a whole bunch of people from all the over the world get teleported to another world. Also, despite everybody basically being immortal in Log Horizon, the story still manages to have actual stakes in it. The story is willing to switch perspectives from the MC. It also has a chinese gold farming bot that become self-aware. The author got in trouble for tax evasion which led to a long delay, but it looks he is finally releasing new stuff again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

As far as people can tell, there actually isn't actually an Isekai without some sort of twist on the formula.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Avulsion posted:

Metaworld Chronicles is a pretty good english language isekai novel. A 30 year old asian-australian businesswoman wakes up as her teenage self in a parallel, modern magi-tech earth. The story starts off in Sydney but eventually moves to Shanghai and starts dealing with politics between paranoid communist wizards, scheming western mages and arrogant 21st century wuxia clans.

Features excellent, in-depth world building, an interesting magic system, and secondary characters with understandable motives and actual personalities.

I'm posting it here even though it's english language because fully half of the story so far has been set in early 2000's china, but with magic.

I read it because somebody strongly recommended it and its actually really bad. The protagonist is a spoiled rotten Mary Sue. I had read the story up to the point where we are supposed to feel sympathy for her, because she is only getting a massive inheritance from one side of her family and she has to move out of a mansion into a luxurious apartment instead. This is a setting where most people live in absolutely horrible conditions. Nothing is actually a threat to her, not only is she super-powerful, she can summon a god like being when things get really tough. She never has to do anything clever because she can just murder everything. Everybody either completely loves her, or is an enemy. I must admit the setting has some potential for an interesting story, but the protagonist completely ruins it. Her being from another world also barely factors into the plot.

Supposedly, the series leans into her being a psychopath at some point, but it must be really deep into it. I really should have dropped it earlier.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 12, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Almost all the really broken stuff in Elder Scrolls games involves abusing Alchemy.

The real broken stuff is the spell making in Morrowind.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

A Will Eternal also apparently has a super rushed ending, because the author wrote the amount of chapters required in his contract, and wasn't interested in renewing it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Finished Soulsmith. Looks like Lindon is finally going to learn some sacred arts in the next book!

What's the deal with Yerin's particular "iron body"? They acted like it was also really good, and I think it was mentioned that it gave "brute strength," but then Lindon mentioned how he could now match Yerin in terms of basic strength (in the context of saying how she could still kick his rear end because of her sacred arts).

Yerin has an even better Iron Body when it comes to raw strength.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Probably at least some of his family survived too, because its pretty obvious Jai Chen was his wife in the original timeline, and presumably she is going to seek shelter with them again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

(though even this is kind of weird, you'd think there would still be a bunch of people without the support of others teaching them how to cultivate).
Those people are dead.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I forgot how goddamn short Cradle books are. I haven't so much read Underlord as inhaled it.

Good, though. I think I'd rank it a hair above Ghostwater? Maybe a hair below? I'd have to re-read Ghostwater to be sure. It's definitely got more time for the supporting cast, which was my one major complaint against Ghostwater, and Mercy gets to be a character finally, in her third book, which is nice. But what we trade for that is Ghostwater's roomy, fleshed-out A-plot. These books just aren't long enough to do justice to everything they want to cover. Maybe Wight will have the time to bulk them out after he's done with Elder Empire.

My biggest complaint is that the Suriel Sub-plot is forever going to be in a holding pattern until Lindon and friends catch up to her. I don't particularly want the author to rush through the Cradle stuff either to get to it. Also, when Lindon and Friends eventually do get to her, it would've been far more interesting if the reader is just as blind about the situation as them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm happy for it to stay on ice, frankly, but it doesn't need to do it on-screen. There was no point to her showing up in this one at all.

Yeah, what I was saying is that I don't understand why the Suriel sub-plot is even a thing when 90% of it is just pointless filler. She doesn't need to show up in every book.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

LLSix posted:

It's nice that Orthos is doing something good, but that whole plot just annoys me. Yerin and the Sword Sage savaged the Heaven's Glory School. They wounded all of their Jades to the point that they were too scared to fight Yerin or the Sword Sage remnant again. Yerin and Lindon killed at least 1 Jade. Basically all of the Irons were put in the hospital by Yerin. After being weakened so much the other schools in the Valley should have turn them apart and split the loot. Even if defending gave them enough of an edge to continue existing; they certainly shouldn't have had enough spare resources to gently caress up Wei clan. Especially since some of the sect members would have come from the Wei clan and might have fought with the Wei.

The Wei Clan doesn't have any golds aside from Elder Whisper who is under some sort of restriction, and probably can't use his full power. Also, the sect must have some really powerful artifacts, if even their minor treasury has some really valuable stuff in it. Also, the sect only lost one of their golds.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not sure bookworm would translate well to an anime.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, isn't Sha Miara a Monarch? Near the end there's a blurb of her saying she wants to compete and her handlers are like "Monarchs can't compete in the tournament."

Speaking of which, I'm wondering what the story is behind this kid being a Monarch.

Regarding Monarchs, I'm wondering if the reason the ones we've seen have mostly been sociopath shitheads is because the only people who choose to becomes Monarchs are people who would rather stay big fish in a small pond that leave. It was implied, if not outright stated, that becoming a Monarch is an alternative path to ascending out of Cradle for people who are Sages or Heralds. I believe the specific phrasing was something along the lines of "Heralds and Sages either 'go somewhere' or become Monarchs."

It's also kinda funny to realize that Northstrider's whole laboratory was basically trying to create the Presence things that all the Abidan use.

He WAS specifically trying to recreate the Presence thing that the Abidan use. At least it was strongly implied that was what he was trying to do.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I have a suspicion things aren't going to turn out too well for the royal family when they inevitably get in the way of Meira's quest for vengeance.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mol ss still updating, but only about 1 chapter a month. so, even though it's into the endgame now it'll probably still take a couple years to finish.

There are only a few chapters left. Its supposed to end at around chapter 100.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 26, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Megazver posted:

CCG is dope. Definitely my favorite.

Hmmm. I recall people who've read the Chinese version saying AWE's ending wasn't that great, because allegedly he had to wrap it up in a hurry because of Qidian drama. I'm glad to hear at least someone liked it. I think I stopped reading it in the mid-400s, when I reached the current end of the translation. I might pick it back up and finish it.

Yeah, I heard several major plot points just went unresolved.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Bakanogami posted:

Have been on a bit of an English language WN binge on royalroad since a lot of my Japanese novels on narou are kind of slow at the moment. I'd read Everybody Loves Large Chests before and enjoyed it. Aside from that I hadn't really touched RR at all.

Dungeon Heart and Dungeon Robotics were both moderately good dungeon keeper stories. Nothing amazing, but fun enough. I especially appreciated Dungeon Heart for having a Dwarf MC since Dwarves are the best fantasy race and I'm reasonably certain that in all 669,892 mostly-fantasy related stories on Narou there is not a single one focusing on dwarves.

Mother of Learning was excellent, though. It has a solid concept, fairly well fleshed out characters, and has obviously had a lot of worldbuilding work put into it. I was very disappointed it cut off at a cliffhanger but apparently it's almost done?

Any other particular recommendations for English language stuff or should I just go down the rankings looking for stuff that catches my eye?

The original plan was for Mother of Learning to end at chapter 100, so yes is very close to finishing.

You might want to check out this thread in the Book Barn that focuses on western works. Just don't be tricked into reading Worm.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay, what I dont get is... cant they try release their stuff elsewhere without having to go through all these dumb requirements now?

lol, its loving china, everything is under the boot of Winnie the Pooh.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Reading the latest book, I really want there to be a Cradle animated series. Too bad, that isn't really a thing that happens for western works, and even if did get an adaptation, it'd probably have a bunch of stuff changed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

Wow, Metaworld Chronicles is the most Xianxia english webnovel I've gotten through more than a couple of chapters of. It's competently written, but it has all the hallmarks of a typical CN Xianxia story. Super special MC who can't take a poo poo without making GBS threads on the Lost McGuffin of Plot forwarding. Everything revolves around said MC, with people changing all their priorities to either help or hinder depending on whether they're intended to be roadblocks or not. The MC waxing poetically about principles and morality while consistently being shown to have none when push comes to shove, often in the same chapter as she chides someone else for acting unprincipled. It's enjoyable in the exact same way Xianxia is enjoyable, but I feel sort of tricked. I'm used to my Xianxia coming as either a stilted translation or extremely poor writing. Or both.

Wait until you get to the part where she whines about how she isn't getting two huge inheritances, but only one, and she is forced to live in a luxurious apartment instead of a mansion. This is a setting where a lot of people live in really horrible slums. (minor spoilers)

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 2, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

LLSix posted:

What format should cultivation chat group be in?

The first google result took me to a version with art that looked a lot like "The Gamer" that was pretty entertaining. I've also found several text only versions so I don't know where to read it at.

The official release is at webnovel(which is a really lovely site that both treats its authors like garbage, and does its best to nickel and dime its readers), any other site is either a rip from the official source, an old dropped fan translation, or a really bad machine translation. There is also a manga adaptation of the story.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

As the resident "I like Ze Tian Ji and I'm going to let you know it" guy, I have to say- Ze Tian Ji :colbert:

It definitely gets weaker after Tianhai dies, but it still stuck the landing.

It was way too into genocide for the latter half even if it ultimately didn't happen. Also, there was some really poor planning on the author's part because it briefly timeskips into the distance future, but then the author realizes he wants the events of the story to wrap up on a much shorter timeline. First half is good though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Legendary Mechanic has the protagonist become a gun dealer, but then he uses the fact that the people he is selling guns to are also gun dealers to justify massacring them, and act like he is a good person for doing so.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

:mad:

That sucks, especially since I'm really enjoying World of Cultivation. The author should get a better deal!

I imagine china's strict censorship of media makes it hard for there to be many other publishers to go to.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Jymmybob posted:

If you want a fair and pragmatic murderhobo, look no further than Way of the Devil. It's gradually turned into the strange adventures of Lu Sheng plus he has a stable family he takes care of. Also he recently adopted an orphan girl in another dimension and he takes care of her too.

People keep on recommending this, but I dropped it early on when he murdered his servants because they refused to stick around and get murdered by some unknown threat.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm imagining somebody really self-conscious that hides his expression whenever somebody looks at him.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Kalas posted:

In pretty much every one of these novels, good sects that nourish the MC will get wiped out tragically giving them a reason to go full murderhobo.

The evil sects will get wiped out by the MC, possibly after being infiltrated and looted of all their evil techniques first.

Another possibility is that the protagonist will go full psychopath to protect a supposedly good sect. They will never question the protagonist's action aside from a little reluctance at the start, but will then treat them as their savior afterwards.

Also, even though demonic sects are a common trope, often the only difference between them and regular sects is branding.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i really love webnovels about time leaps which supposedly enable someone to deal with some inevitable crisis, but are actually about the author's seething rage from high school. this is my latest one, and the highlight is how the author is innately disdainful of effort and socializing but doesn't realize it. his mc is in a monster hunting academy, and his dream is to be a monster hunter because of the usual dead family. during his first run he didn't train, study or even go to class despite his abysmal natural talent, and dropped out at the end of the first year having accomplished nothing. so much for his dream! the author somehow thinks this is laudable rather than pathetic(??????). so naturally, after the time leap the mc now specifically never needs to work out ever again.

from there it has been mostly about belittling thinly veiled proxies for the author's high school classmates, but in a way that makes it very clear that it is all his own unjustified resentment.

Its especially funny when the protagonist is 1000s of years old, but somehow they still hold a massive grudge about something that happened in their teens/early 20s.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

He’s apparently trialling a new writing strategy where he doesn’t preemptively cut anything before he’s written it. That does not to me sound like the wisest approach, and I’m sceptical that the quality is going to hold up, but it has apparently resulted in one chonker of a book.

I just hope this doesn't mean more Suriel stuff, especially since the last book seemed to cut back on that.

Although, I wonder if the book is so long because the last book kind of just awkwardly ended at an arbitrary point right before the climax of a plotline.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

She technically became one of the main characters

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Just be warned that basically every Xianxia protagonist will at some point do something horrible and mass murder a group of people even though not everyone in the group deserves it in any way. I've read multiple novels where the protagonist is usually a pretty good guy, but they will be ok with genociding demons even after the story had already somewhat humanized them and shown that they aren't all completely evil.

Also, XIanxia stories like to have things escalate way too much over minor conflicts, and a powerful organization goes into a full-out war because some random minor member got upset that the protagonist gave them a funny look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Workaday Wizard posted:

Reverend Insanity translation reached the ban. Censors can suck my balls. It's really annoying that it got banned when degenerate novels full of rape and molestation are thriving.

As long as those rapists don't possibly start giving people the idea to defy Winnie the Pooh and the government, they are perfectly upright characters to the censors.