Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

While we're on first page, I just want to note that a large mass of the discussion in the previous thread made no sense until I read Wikipedia about the xianxia genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

In thread-relevant content, are there any of these stories that are sci-fi (and tolerably good)? And I mean legit sci-fi; stories about hyper-advanced immersive VR that people use to play fancy D&D don't count.

Crest/Banner of the Stars? They are from before light novel was really a term, but I'd say they fall well into the category.
Also I guess Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere kinda counts as sci-fi too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe this will become a thing?

https://j-novel.club/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

J-novel club have picked up Grimgar which coukd stand as their killer app for the service.

Finding the link that actually let me read it was harder than it should have been, but the translation reads quite well. A little over a third through the first chapter, I'll recommend checking it out at least.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just a thought I had in the shower, but is "reverse isekai" a thing? E.g. a wizard accidentally himself to modern Japan, doesn't remember how, and is now missing most of the reagents and books he needs to do his wizard things.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Absum posted:

I stumbled across this and just had to post it somewhere so here you go: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7269275/1/Fate-Team-Fortress

e: it shortens the link but it's a Fate/Team Fortress short

That was much funnier than it has any right to be.

It's short, very quick read.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd say the protags are meant to be genre-savvy and know how a fantasy story is supposed to go and then just subvert it. So yes they're all Tropers.
Realistically, you couldn't send a nerd to a fantasy world and not expect that behavior, right?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

So can I ask, when does Maine start to turn around? Because I stalled out on the translations around... chapter 23, I think? And Maine being a miserable little book junkie and all-round terrible person was a large part of why.

Shortly after chapter 23 she begins working with others to get her will done. As it turns out, exactly because books and paper are so rare, they are also very valuable, and money is a great motivational factor in getting others to help you.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just tried reading a chapter of Honzuki with the help of Rikaichan, took me around 2-3 hours. Reading blastron's translations is definitely more enjoyable for me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

darkgray posted:

The author released the cast list for the upcoming Honzuki drama CD, and Miyuki Sawashiro is to play Maine. Other actors include Takahiro Sakurai, Mai Nakahara, Masumi Asano, etc. Now give me an anime, pls.

But it seems to be an excerpt from part 3 of the story, so nothing for those of us still stuck on part 1 :(

Anime yes please.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

An anime of Honzuki would be awesome, but will almost certainly never happen because it would have to be like 300 episodes long. Even the manga, at the rate it's going, won't finish the story for another 20 years.

I think part 1 could probably be condensed into a 2-cour show, though it would still have to cut a lot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bobulus posted:

I think 'stuck in a timeloop' counts as a special ability. Honestly, you're going to have a hard time finding stories where the protagonist has absolutely no advantages, because if they didn't, then some random extra could duplicate their feats and do the job better than them. About the closest you're going to come is a story where the protagonist has above-average will power and is willing to go through some extremely strenuous training that anyone is theoretically capable of doing, but most would consider too painful to attempt.

You have plenty of stories in every part of the world about plain old boring people who happen to have slightly less ordinary experiences. Sure, anyone else could have had those experiences, but then that someone-else would have been the protagonist instead. A character is protagonist because they play a part in a story.

Unrelated, I've almost finished reading part 1 of Honzuki now. It's a slow process, about an hour and a half per chapter, but very enjoyable. I'm repeatedly surprised by how much of a nerd Urano is/was, especially with her commentary during her baptismal ceremony.
And to think it's only about 1/10th of the story published so far...

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 15, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Glad to see Ascendence of a Bookworm in the OP. It's definitely my favorite net novel by far. I'm just starting book 5. Who knew that a series entirely about a little kid who just really wants to read could turn into a gripping and highly educational fantasy epic?

The only issue I'm running into is that a lot of the main hurdles in the plot seem to have been cleared so now it's in a sort of holding pattern. I'm hoping the main over-arching plot for the rest of the series shows up soon.

LN book 5? I think that's the final part of the second arc, right? (I forget if the LN's for arc 1-2-3 are 2+3+3 or 3+4+4 volumes.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I think 3-4-4. So I'm on book 2 of part 2.

Edit: and actually it looks like part 3 will have a 5th LN. And after that there's still parts 5 and 6. It's a good thing they're coming out pretty steadily because it's looking like a few years before this ends.

Also this is the first series where I've considered picking up the Drama CD. They actually landed some really big names (Main is played by Sawashiro Miyuki who has been in a bunch of stuff.) Hopefully this is a good sign an anime might be on the way.

Ah middle of arc 2, so probably matching around chapter 117 of the WN (completion of first printed and bound book, huge congratulations!) which I got past just recently. I was going to make a comment about there being no arc 5, but it appears arc 4 of the WN just recently was split into approximately half. Previously arc 4 counted chapters 278 to 677, now it's arc 4 as 278 to 460, and arc 5 as 461 to 677. For comparison arc 1 is 77 chapters, arc 2 is 95 chapters, and arc 3 is 104. So expect another 16 books after arc 3 ends.

Also, that drama CD apparently covers parts of arc 3, just so you know.

Btw. blastron, maybe consider translating some of the side material with world-facts between chapters? I found the parts about currency and timekeeping/calendar very useful for one thing.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 21, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

blastron posted:

I'm planning on translating all the WN material I can find in the order that it came out. I know there's a spinoff page on shosetsu for side stories that gets started in Arc 2; is there anything else?

Also, on an unrelated note, I'm doing a re-transliteration sweep to fix names I'm not happy with my translation of based on some feedback I've gotten. I need help with the main character's name, though: it's spelled マイン, which is pronounced like the English word "mine"... but how do I actually write that? I've shopped around spellings and everyone I ask to pronounce the name Mine says mee-nay or mih-nee. Maïne is a real-world name that, as far as I can tell, is pronounced correctly for this case, but typing umlauts is a pain and I don't know how well people will actually parse that, though. Any ideas?

I'd put her name as just Main, and with a note initially (and on a potential future dramatis personae page) with a note that it's supposed to be pronounced like "mine".

More opinions on spellings for names in parts 1 and 2:
Main's family: Eva (mother), Günther (father), Tuhri (elder sister, this one's hard since it doesn't really match any of my experience with Germanic or Nordic names)
Lutz' family: Karla (mother), Dido (father), Zasha (oldest brother), Zhik (2nd brother), Ralf (3rd brother)
Gilberta Company: Otto, Benno, Korinna, Mark
Guild Master's house: Frida, Ilse, Jutte (or Jutta, which exists historically and sounds better, but doesn't match the katakana, otherwise Jytte is a common Danish girls' name, may work as Jütte for Germanic style)
Others: Fej (neighbor boy), Gerda (neighbor girl), Al (neighbor), Count Bron, Count Gratz
Arc 2 until around WN chapter 120: Temple Master; High Priest Ferdinand, his servant Arno; Main's servants Fran, Gil (pronounced with hard G like "give"), Deria, Wilma, Rosina; Main's chefs Fugo, Ella

Getsuya posted:

Also where's the best place to put up LN translations? I'm kicking around the idea of translating a short series I found.

Just a WordPress or Tumblr blog is the standard.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 21, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Argue posted:

Wouldn't those be Delia and Hugo?

Second you're entirely right on... first I think either can work. I don't think I've heard anything quite similar IRL. e: vvv okay I rest my case

darkgray posted:

There's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuuli_(name) which sounds extremely similar, but might be too far from Germany.

Yeah it would be odd to use, especially for a family with very little access to culture from the outside, but it does match. (Theoretically Günther could have heard the name from a traveler at the gate and liked it enough to call his own daughter something exotic.)

More names I forgot to include for the arc 2 (first half) list:
Johan (blacksmith), Ingo (woodworker), Kristine (former priestess/master of Wilma and Rosina)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 21, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

blastron posted:

...Right, going to add "find a list of Germanic names and reference it constantly" to my list. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, nielsm. Do you have any go-to resources or do you just have enough of a background to be able to diss things out?

Background. I'm natively from Denmark and know some German and Swedish, and through family and general interest has also taken in a bit about historical language development as well.

Edit: One more thing, the name of the city should probably be Ehrenfest. Could perhaps roughly translate to English as Honorfort, since "fest" is likely not in the "celebration" sense but shortened from Festung, a fortification.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 21, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I will pet everything in this other world!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Ooo I really like that one! Thanks! It's more active and natural than the more literal translations.

I hate the translations "ganbaru" usually bear. Is the "just appearing to make an effort is good enough" some cultural thing? Because that's what it appears like to me, and it feels really unnatural to read that. In English you never proudly proclaim you "will try", to be proud you will do it. "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Yes it sort of changes the meaning but not really. You still set out to make your best attempt to solve it, I think it's just the cultural outlook at the idea of doing something that may not have perfect success rate.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 25, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I finally resumed reading Honzuki, had stopped for a long while at chapter 122. The winter preparations was a bit of a slog, but what came after was amazing. Also happy to see Frida make an appearance again.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Are there any manga/other about a Japanese traveling the (real) world and discovering foreign cuisine?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tunicate posted:

the very limited reference pool for wn authors also makes their versions of fantasy worlds kinda funny

i ended up noping out of bookworm though once we find out this dirt-poor peasant family lives in a third story apartment with individual bedrooms for all their kids

Worth remembering that in the days before steel and concrete skyscrapers, the upper levels of multi-story buildings were usually the least desirable places to live. You didn't have luxury penthouse apartments with a great view, just more cramped stairs to walk up and down whenever you needed water.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That explains the slavery elements in stories.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If they can actually enforce that kind of rule, it would also mean you could never end a story. "What it's over? Well you're fired, pay back all the money we lent you. And we're not publishing that chapter, someone else is going to continue your story."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Intergalactic Entrepreneurs Destroyed my Home and now I'm Forced to Travel with a Loony

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If Grimgar is isekai then so is Haibane Renmei.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lamquin posted:

Oooh, that's some great news. He mentions he intends to translate at "a rate of one volume per two months-ish" - at what volume are the current translations (chapter 100)?

Part one is 3 volumes, part two is 5 volumes, so chapter 100 is around volume 4.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Argas posted:

That's decent and probably gets across the intended pronunciation better. I couldn't help but read it like the state of Maine even though I tend to default to using Japanese syllables to read names and such in fiction.

As far as looking like something from northern Europe goes, it's pretty bad tho. I can see it working as a guide for English natives, but pronouncing "Myne" in a Germanic-ish way definitely does not produce the right word. I don't actually think that "y" sound exists in modern English, and definitely not in Japanese.
Well whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What happened to the licensed English translation? I think they promised a breakneck initial pace, like one or two months per volume.