Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I read 14 chapters of Release That Witch. It's extremely boring because all conflict and challenge have been surgically removed from the setting. The conflict between modern values and life in his new setting would be interesting, but the author totally undercuts it. All of the minor characters are cool doing stuff that should get them killed by the Inquisition. The MC demonstrates no skill at persuading people but succeeds regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I read Unsouled on the recommendation and enjoyed it quite a bit. Thanks!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I bought the Re:Zero LN from Amazon, but Subaru is too annoying to deal with in text form. I couldn't get more than 20 pages into it.

I recently finished Soulsmith (Cradle Book 2). Pretty good, but a bit less gripping than the first. I hope book 3 builds on the strengths of the setting and characters.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Getting his stream of consciousness inner monologue is Too loving Much, and I mostly enjoyed the anime

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
No thanks I'll just read something better

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I just finished another novel in the 1632 series so I feel obligated to plug it here again. http://www.baen.com/1632.html you can read it online or download it for free. It's really good alt history, with lots of fun tidbits of politics and technology. Everyone is excessively competent, but it has an ensemble cast so it doesn't feel too unreasonable.

Synopsis posted:

In the year 1632 in northern Germany a reasonable person might conclude that things couldn't get much worse. There was no food. Disease was rampant. For over a decade religious war had ravaged the land and the people. Catholic and Protestant armies marched and countermarched across the northern plains, laying waste the cities and slaughtering everywhere. In many rural areas population plummeted toward zero. Only the aristocrats remained relatively unscathed; for the peasants, death was a mercy.

2000 Things are going OK in Grantville, West Virginia. The mines are working, the buck are plentiful (it's deer season) and everybody attending the wedding of Mike Stearn's sister (including the entire membership of the local chapter of the United Mine Workers of America, which Mike leads) is having a good time.

THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED....

When the dust settles, Mike leads a small group of armed miners to find out what's going on. Out past the edge of town Grantville's asphalt road is cut, as with a sword. On the other side, a scene out of Hell; a man nailed to a farmhouse door, his wife and daughter Iying screaming in muck at the center of a ring of attentive men in steel vests. Faced with this, Mike and his friends don't have to ask who to shoot.

At that moment Freedom and Justice, American style, are introduced to the middle of The Thirty Years War.

The main author is collaborating with other authors on all of the sequels. Normally, that signals to me "he's phoning it in", but he had a thoughtful afterword in 1633 explaining why he took that approach. In alt-history, a single author tends to lead all events down a plot path towards an intended goal. By collaborating on his sequels, the co-authors get creative control to examine characters and places within the setting that he wouldn't think of. This avoids the railroading problem and expands the scope of events to flesh out the world.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm also a fan of the series.

The plot progression feels fairly thoughtful. The protagonist is advancing in power quickly, but he's doing it with a specific, interesting motivation and with the help of forces that want to use him for their own purposes. You can easily notice how it benefits from not being a serial on a short deadline.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I have not read the latest Cradle book yet, but the protagonist survives mostly through extreme amounts of luck in the circumstances of people he meets. Any power he gains is mostly due to political machinations of people far above him.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I thought you had to use the Eagle Eye skill from archery to cast it on other people. Archery is considered really bad so people don’t bother. I really appreciate that the protagonist doesn’t give a poo poo about min maxing or profits, just hanging out with their friends.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Started reading Forge of Destiny. It’s very pleasant so far! Ling Qi is a good main character. She’s very practical and streetwise, but very naive about other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I liked ISSTH a lot, but you can definitely drop it somewhere in the second half as your interest wanes