Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I stumbled on this thread the other day and started reading Kumo. I really like it! But I finished all of the Blastron translations and I'm finding the turb0 translations to be really unpleasant to read. Are there any better translations? Or do they get better? Please tell me there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Adelheid posted:

eventually turb0 stops and much more readable translations take its place, but they still aren't up to blastr0n's polished level.

Well that's something at least. I guess I'll keep soldiering on. Thanks!

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I’m reading Coiled Dragon and liking it. It’s the first time I’ve read anything like this. It’s like Dragonball Z in book form.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I just finished reading through what there is of Forge of Destiny, and it’s really good. It almost doesn’t fit in this thread because it’s not garbage enough. Luckily it has a bunch of chucklefucks voting for what the mc does so I guess that qualifies it.

I highly recommend everyone go read it right now.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like some parts of fod, but i don't really see what tying it to dice rolls accomplishes.

The dice rolls make it more of an interactive game, and less of a straight webnovel. It's just for fun.

An example of when the dice rolls really mattered is when Ling Qi was trying to explain her feelings to her snake buddy, but totally hosed her social rolls and the thread spent months afterwards trying to recover.

Jester Mcgee fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 21, 2018

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe it doesn't bother me because I came to it already being a fan of the CYOAs here. So I guess I'm not comparing it to other WNs as much. The voting and semi random results are part of the fun.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Arkeus posted:

While I agree she tries to do good things, I would say Ling Qi is a good example of someone who has been victim of injustice and abuse by those stronger than her? Hell, Su Ling/ Li Suyin/ Ji Rong would be better example of those, really.

What Ling Qi exhibited was both talent and a significant loyal streak, as well as the capacity to submit to those stronger than her.

I agree with you, but I think rewarding the loyalty of those who submit to you is as close to the definition of a good leader as you get in Xianxia.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

This is a bit off topic, but I think this is the best thread for it. Does anyone have any ideas for systems to check out if I’m looking to run a Xianxia tabletop game? I was thinking Exalted maybe?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Perseus did it. Andromeda was kidnapped by the sea serpent Cetus, then Perseus killed Cetus and married Andromeda. Then that story got retold a few bazillion times in different ways over the past few thousand years. So I guess the stories that all of these WNs are reacting to aren't other WNs, but myths, legends, and fairy tales.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Exalted is kinda... like, for the longest time the joke was that the best way to play Exalted was using any system other than Exalted. 3rd Edition is a lot better, but it's still a very, very heavy-weight system with a lot of things you need to keep track of and lot of moving parts. It's not something I'd choose to build something else on top of unless I was very interested in replicating that exact gameplay experience.

I'm drawing a blank on what else to recommend, though. Like Cynic Jester says, there are a bunch of Wuxia-themed RPGs (I've got a soft spot for Legends of the Wulin, personally, but that has its own problems), but I can't think of any that have the sort of verticality you'd want.

Actually, this:

sparks a thought: in Xianxia the magic kung-fu is often secondary to the accumulation of power. Achieving enlightenment by meditating of the nature of rocks is the story and the goal of the story; using that enlightenment to break someone's teeth is just the celebratory fireworks. So, would you better able to capture the nature of the genre if you built on something where self-development through revelation and self-actualisation was the central game mechanic? Is there a game like that? I think Chuubo's is somewhere along those line, though, uh, I still haven't gotten around to reading that one so don't quote me on that.

Disregard this if you are just after the magic kung fu. Exalted is mostly about magic kung fu and the moral dilemmas resulting from magic kung fu.

I've been reading through the source book and I'm getting the feeling that it's way too crunchy for a good Xianxia setting. One of the things that sticks out to me the most about Xianxia is that going for broke is almost always the right choice, it's a race to see how extreme a character can commit to whatever they are doing, and a system that requires people to make smart choices, as oppose to badass choices, wouldn't work.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Compared to most Xianxia families his is super kind and supportive.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Sometime during the first book it says that he inherited his parents large stature, but without any of their power. I love the conflict between his looks and his personality, it gets more interesting to me the more powerful he gets, because then his looks and strength start to line up, but he's still such a sweetie.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I love Jai Long and think it says a lot about the author that I still like a character who thinks the protagonist, who I also like, is a total poo poo.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

What's Er Gen up to now? He quit his contract with whoever he was publishing through before, right?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Megazver posted:

https://book.qidian.com/info/1010327039 apparently. Which is the same publisher... I think?

I love google's Chinese to English translations. The description of that novel is "Xiu Xianyu is a long-lived, warm-blooded, and walks on the lotus to wash the sword bones."

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I listened to the first two Arcane Ascension audiobooks, and I can’t tell if I enjoyed them or not. The protagonist is the worst character in the books, and he keeps “inventing” new things even though they are extremely obvious and he can create them even though he’s like a high school freshman equivalent.

I mean, I did still finish them, but only because I spend a lot of time driving or running and audiobooks help pass the time.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I liked Uncrowned. I think Charity and Fury are fun. I guess I’m sort of used to there not being great endings to these books. I actually felt like there was way more to Uncrowned than I expected. It felt like an earlier version of Wight would have ended the book when Yerin’s team got to the tournament.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty sure it's a joke, because that's almost always how those sorts of storylines go in Xianxia.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Or if it's an Er Gen novel the protagonist joins the evil sect and just has a really great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Bloodline reminded me a bit of times in my life when I accomplished a long term goal, only to realize that I had changed over the years since I started working towards the goal and I didn't really care anymore. "Oh I guess I saved Sacred Valley, sort of. They suck though. Now what?"