Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Motto posted:

Dunno if this is where lns go or not, but hey

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/809857148842901504

Oh, nice. I'll actually pick this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Other way around, the MC was a yandere while the protagonist is normal.

And also the love interest of the game.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Apparently Hakomari is getting an English release. I'm buying the heck out of it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I'm surprised to see Kenkyo so high.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

darkgray posted:

Different tastes and all that, but I personally think it's better than Honzuki. Perfectly executed.

Yeah, I've really enjoyed Kenkyo. Wish the translation updated more consistently, though.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

There's a whole bunch of "I've been reincarnated as the villain in an otome game/shoujo manga!" stories- and I mean dozens of these things with the exact same cookie cutter plot. Kenkyo is by far the best of them and if you've read that you've read all of them. But if you want another one in that vein, It Seems Like I Got Reincarnated Into The World of a Yandere Otome Game is alright. Simply Good Taste for a Duke's Daughter is a slightly different take on the same idea (it starts after the villainess's downfall).

If all you really want is isekai with a female protagonist, there's Evil God Average, which has a pretty great first half. Kansutoppu!, The Girl Who Ate Death and The Girl Who Bore the Flame Ring aren't isekai, technically speaking, but are similar in a lot of ways. There's a list of webnovels with female protagonists on Oniichanyamete which I found a few of these on.

I enjoyed Duke's Daughter until the first translator vanished and a much less competent one took it up.

I read a the first 4 books of An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku, which has the mildly amusing twist of literally every possible villainess being a reincarnation, before getting completely bored of it.

The Girl Who Ate Death was good, but not very much like the rest of these.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

jon joe posted:

Are there any stories where:

1) The protagonist doesn't have any special powers compared to others (or if they do, it's not what makes them successful)
2) The protagonist is legitimately a good person

The closest I've seen was early Ze Tian Ji, but even that was stretching the first requirement

Raptor Wife is a pleasant slice of life romance.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

devildragon777 posted:

The Snow Country Hunting Life of the Northern Nobleman and the Raptor Wife is amazingly adorable and there's some world building centered around the tribe they live in? Not much, though.

Gonna second Raptor Wife for the high quality cuteness.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
It's time to trot out another recommendation for Raptor Wife, and it's superhumanly cute main characters. Absolutely no murderhoboing.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm looking for recommendations now. I've torn through most of the OP. Here's my list of Novel Updates if it helps. https://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?uid=103000

I read a bit of Everyone Else is a Returnee, and I think I might have liked it if the translation wasn't completely unreadable the whole way through. Had to drop it though. I'm going through The Girl Who Ate a Death God currently and am almost finished, it's been quite good in a macabre sort of way. I put aside Realist Hero because the start wasn't that interesting, but I could pick it up again if it gets good later. And that's pretty much where I'm at.

Note: I don't really find MMO stories very appealing, so unless it's particularly unique, I'm not interested in that particular subcategory.

Hopefully you have some good ones. I'd love some more stuff to waste time on.

I shill Raptor Wife at every opportunity.

I remember liking the first few volumes of magic otaku if you're into otome villainess reincarnations.

In the same vein, though I'm not very far in, Tensei Oujo.

And Eliza.

There's a few other works by the author of The Girl Who Ate Death.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 17, 2018

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

I've been reading Kusuriya no Hitorigoto. It's a bit hard to follow the (extremely detailed) court politics due to the translation being flawed, but I'm liking it a fair bit. The protagonist is especially good. I didn't think there would be a protagonist even more divorced from reality than Maine.

Oh poo poo this was an LN first? yesssssssss

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter fits I think. It's been a while since I read it, though.

e: I'm also obligated to shill Raptor Wife every time I post in this thread.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 28, 2018

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

actually, it's probably this: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/I-m-an-S-Rank-Behemoth-Monster-but-I-m-Living-as-a-Knight-Pet-of-an-Elf-Girl

seems harmless, huh? well by the third chapter it starts gunning straight for a bestiality ending. i don't want to read any further chapters.

How did you get through page 8 where he starts getting horny over the big titty elf and not see that coming.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

*record scratch*
*freeze frame on Haru Koyama getting choked by a horny naked dude*
Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation. Not by choice, I can tell you that! It started when my weirdo classmate, Chiba, tried to save me from a runaway truck and got us both killed instead. Idiot. Then we got transported to another world, which I guess is like an otaku dream come true, or something? Chiba ends up with cheat abilities, and what do I get? Nothing! Lucky me, I get to be a sex worker instead. Gotta earn money somehow — but since I have to do it, I'm gonna kick rear end at it. This world treats women even worse than the one we came from, so things get...rough. Still, I've made friends with some of the girls, and if I can juggle Chiba's idiocy and Sumo the virgin's emotions on top of all the various kinks my customers throw at me, things will be all right...won't they?

No, no thank you amazon

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Probably something like 20 Chinese people tried to kidnap a student at the school.

Obviously this means that you have to nuke all of China.

Wait was nuking China the scene the anime started on?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

for a single parent wn that almost certainly isn't going to go all usagi drop, there is Even Though I’m a Former Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters Are Too Cute and Working as an Adventurer Isn’t Too Much of a Hassle. the title says it all, really (including the fact that the author is terrible at coming up with titles).

there are too many reviews that go "this is like Goblin Slayer, but" for me to try and read this without assurance that there's no rape-genocide bullshit

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I've been reading I Favor the Villainess, an otome game isekai about a big ol lesbian who uses her special power of having written a bunch of fanfiction about the game to romance the villainess instead of any of the canon capture target princes. Which, big same.

79 chapters in it's revealed that one of the capture targets was born as a girl, and magically cursed to become a boy, so they're now experiencing what's explicitly described as gender dysphoria.

Oh, also the otome game is called Revolution, so no prizes for guessing what the ongoing tensions between the commoners and the nobles at the magic school is leading up to.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I haven't read Arifureta, what makes it so bad?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Ascendance of a Bookworm anime I think.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

bagrada posted:

Out of curiosity are there any "stuck in my mmo" stories that do anything interesting with alts? Like maybe they come in as their bank alt instead of their high level hero, or they grumble about being stuck in a low fantasy PvP game instead of flying around city of heroes?

Moto Sekai Ichi'i No Sub-Chara Ikusei Nikki is about a dude who commits suicide when the mmo servers get hacked and the top like, 1000 character data is deleted, and gets mmosekai'd into his bank alt.

Of course, he promptly powerlevels himself and then it resumes the standard.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. I'd been skipping reading it because of how rough the early chapters used to be. I recently powered through it and you're about to hit grim dark territory real soon. Like some of the grim darkest poo poo I've read recently.

:justpost: I want to know how bad it is.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I finally got around to finishing I Favor the Villainess. The translation wasn't great, but I really enjoyed it anyway. Time to shill it everywhere.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Looking for exclusively WN/LN translations or would EN webserials be up your alley too?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I Favor the Villainess

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
First an official translation, and now a manga adaption of I Favor the Villainess announced!

https://twitter.com/hatsuka_n_yh/status/1262047499247738881

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm thinking of adding City of Sin and Martial World to the roster while I'm at it. I've also read Cradle v1+2 and really enjoyed them, but that was several years ago and I didn't know about webnovels at the time.

If you're new to WNs and like xianxia, goon favorite Forge of Destiny isn't quite a WN (being CYOA played by forum post), but is probably relevant to you.

There's probably a better way to read it than SV's forum but.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/blu_online_/status/1372881738167296008

that kinda sucks, 7seas.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/ANN_Lynzee/status/1373058394622283777

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, nice, someone actually went and translated The Girl Called Hero and Monster's LN. The old WN tl died a little over halfway.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

Thanks for this, I had read some of the WN but it'll be good to have the whole story. I've really enjoyed that author's works.

I guess that only leaves The Girl Who Fell from the Polar Star to be translated.

There's actually two other WNs that are 0% translated, for obvious reasons I don't know if they're in the same world or not.

I really hope someone licenses Matari's stuff some day.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Tunicate posted:

B) wow they censor slaves as 's*aves' now, what a half-assed measure

NU claims that was requested by advertisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Webtoon launched a new app called Yonder, which is dedicated to serialized fiction (both English language original and translated).

pretty standard 1 free chapter a day (per novel i guess, not sure if there's a limit, i didn't try to go past 5), looks like ~30c per chapter.

Unfortunately it's app only, and impossible to actually find anything on.