Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

eh, if it was solely down to enthusiasts there would be far fewer active projects. so long as they don't claim ownership over the works they translate it doesn't really bother me.

Yeah, I feel like there's a huge difference between "for every 50$ donation I will translate a chapter a few days faster and upload onto the internet that anyone can read for no cost, indefinitely" and "donate 50$ to get access to my unofficially translated book/s" . The latter would be extremely skeezy without permission from the original authors, but the former is just a translator tip. I mean imagine it this way - you're paying a guy a couple bucks to translate a publicly available free book for you. Would it really be much different than, say, buying a piece of translation software to translate the book for you?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Machine translators suck a lot, I'd rather pay an actual human for their time than pay for some software that spits out sentences barely more legible than Google Translate (which is free).
I don't see anything wrong with having paypal donation links on their site and what have you; since people are using their own spare time to translate stuff for the rest of us, let alone the costs associated with website setup and hosting.

Yeah i'm not saying machine translators are worth using in this case, more that paying a person to translate it for you and paying a machine to translate it for you are roughly the same ethically, neither are stealing from the author.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Lyon posted:

Way of Choices is probably my new favorite web novel dethroning ISSTH.

I started reading ISSTH after liking Way of Choices and while it was entertaining at first i'm at like chapter 655~ and I'm pretty tired of Meng Hao at this point. He's such a douche, but literally everyone ever gives him their most special treasures ever because of dumb luck. He pretty much treats everyone else like garbage and despite talking up repaying kindnesses and will gladly take all the powerful poo poo from someone and then will waffle about even saving their lives in return unless they bribe him even more. The only people he actually treated well were the Crow Divinity Tribe but they literally worship him as a god and gave him a billion powerups, so. I much more prefer the more empathetic lead in Way of Choices.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 2, 2017

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Plus, the lead isn't a murder hobo. Well, sort of. Everyone else is a murder hobo, so self-defense happens.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mulva posted:

No.

Make me.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Some of these I'd read if they were translated, but actually learning Japanese (or god forbid, Chinese) to just read web novels sounds like way too much effort for stuff that's probably mostly mediocre at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

chapter literally says he bribed her

and yeah I think immediately jumping into threatening murder was a jarring into being evil for no reason

In a massively corrupt government he's working through here, bribery on this scale is barely even a crime - it's just the only way you'll get anything done. He's investigating the abuses of the rich, so people are not just going to cough up incriminating information about the wealthy and powerful people they work for. The threats were excessive, sure, but again, he's dealing with wealthy and powerful people who have shown very little hesitation to use violence and even murder to protect their interests, and if they actually found out what he was doing and confronted him directly without him having an out could just stomp him like an insect - and probably several other people in the process. Using threats of violence that he wouldn't actually ever follow up on to protect multiple people from actual, real violence isn't the purely loathsome and evil act some people seem to be portraying it as, just a bit excessive - he's got a reputation so he's using it.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 14, 2019