Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Honestly that spoiler doesn't sound nearly as bad. For me it's not a single hot-button issue but this confluence of bad turns for the story that has me convinced the author didn't expect the reaction he got and instead of looking at it, finding what was wrong, and fixing it he just decided to force his plan through even though it paints characters in a really bad light.

E: the author also locked those comments pretty quickly to shut down all conversation, and when they take an action like that I'm not required to like it.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

In this case the author called out that they locked comments on their author's note and asked people to go to their discord instead to provide feedback. Though I was wrong in my last comment and the comments were open a lot longer than I thought they were.

I usually try to drop these stories early (often before even starting them when I see the author has 20 previous stories on hiatus) to avoid feeling invested. The last ship in Suzhou is one where the opening couple of chapters were so uncompelling to me I bounced off it but I'll give it another chance later based on this thread.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Piell posted:

I wouldn't bother if you already bounced off, the gimmick of "we're better at everyone else in the world because we got handed incredible power for doing nothing and saying things we read on a fortune cookie" has not yet changed

Maybe, but I'll give it another shot. My biggest problem with the opening chapters was just how over-written they were. I can only take so much in the way of flowery "it was not X but it was X, Y but not Y" descriptions before my eyes roll terminally into my skull and I cough up blood, especially in the first couple of chapters. It's another thing if it comes up later during a sequence of enlightenment where the author is trying to demonstrate some kind of deeper understanding reached by the character that doesn't actually exist in reality, but these are two normal teens right now. I nearly laughed when it made a huge deal of saying "I'm not convinced" to a thunderstorm in chapter 5 (just went to confirm that).