Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
way of choices is the best fantasy thing I've read in a while. live action version looks good too so I hope it gets english subs after it comes out

owl milk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I've been reading the machine translation of ZTJ and although it loses quite a bit of its finer details the plot remains stellar. As soon as anything seems to be "samey" or following a formula something changes it up, although it's very slow-going like the rest of the novel. sort of a spoiler but not really: CCS does eventually tell people about his illness but it's gonna be a while folks.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
well lnmtl has it as 623 but they have a bunch of duplicates so it's probably more like 590. actual spoiler if you care about who knows: The first person in his peer group to know is Xu Yourong, and she's told by someone other than Chen Changsheng. He only tells her in chapter 627 or something like that.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
If we're talking about Harry Potter fanfic then you should read this series. It's fanfic in that it's set in the same world as Harry Potter but the characters are entirely original and it's set starting in 2007 I think. Very good but the author stopped after finishing the 4th book and has had "writer's block" since then. Still a great read imo.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
tbf her terrible choices aren't entirely her fault as people never told her the stuff she needed to know to make a better decision. Except for the times when she did something dumb out of pigheadedness, but hey she's young I'll forgive it

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Kumo has that plot in Shun's story, or at least the basic trappings of it. Ends up being pretty funny comparing what he thinks he knows and what we know is actually happening.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
apparently the tv show's coming out in may and it has 55 episodes. hopefully it's good and gets a translation

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Oh man is the Su Li arc almost over? The one after it is definitely the best up to its point. poo poo gets real yo. Haven't read much after it cus I burnt out on reading the awful machine translation so I'm excited.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I'm learning Japanese and man Honzuki is way past my super basic reading level. Granted my class just finished te-form verb conjugation so there's a long way to go but it's pretty discouraging when half or more of the text is kanji I don't understand.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Here's something new. It's like a Chinese cultivation thing inside a Japanese dating game system with an actually pleasant mc. Not many chapters out but I thought they were fairly funny and not creepy, at least so far

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
awwww yea my boy ccs is getting to the next arc. this one gets insanely good and I'm excited to read a non-mtl version

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
post it

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Mao Ni, the ZTJ author just started a new story: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-path-toward-heaven/

only 2 chapters so far so who knows what's going to happen but it'll be one to keep an eye on. or maybe wait till there are 150 chapters to start reading since his writing is so slowly-paced lol

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I want to read a WN that is like a male-oriented version of those "reincarnated as the villainess in an otome game" WNs. Like, where someone reincarnates as the rear end in a top hat arranged marriage partner of the harem protagonist's main love interest or something.

edit: There was this one WN I read where the protagonist is a guy who reincarnates as the main love interest in an otome game and ends up dating the villainess character. I remember that the heroine having the supernatural ability to make all men fall in love with her was a plot element.

Otome Game Bad Guy

My name is Seijo. I appear to have died.

Wait, let me start over. Today was the big day. You see, I have a terrible secret. I, a 28-year-old man, love otome games. Yes, visual novels for middle-school girls. Anyway, today my favorite company was, after 4 years of development, finally releasing their newest otome game 「♡真の愛は☆本☆ですよ!!」 (TN: "♡True Love is a ☆Book☆!!"). Of course, while waiting in line I had to pretend to be buying the game for my (nonexistent) little sister. An unpleasant but necessary existence.

As an aside I greatly prefer otome games over their more male-focused *-games. Generally in the latter you take the role of a good-for-nothing guy who gets women thrust upon him from all directions. Although this has its appeal it's too easy! As a good-for-nothing guy myself I can't help but feel the genre is unrealistic as I have never had a girlfriend, let alone a harem route. Besides, having a woman seek me out and find my heart of gold inside my black soul is much more appealing, so otome games for life!

It was while I was thinking this very thought that I heard a large crash behind me.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
im no writer but that cliche poo poo is way too easy to do

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
hell why not i made thing

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
i just read AWE up to the current translation, the best part is definitely the comedy. the murder stuff isn't nearly as fun but it's part of the genre so what can you do.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I have to recommend White Collar Cultivator, it's a quest that's pretty much just starting that's about a guy who was mistakenly kidnapped by a cultivator organization and has to work as a paper-pusher. The mortal work ethic is way stronger than that of cultivators (who would much rather cultivate than do their job) so he gets noticed pretty quickly. Seems like it'll have some interesting things to do with clichés in the genre ('righteous anger' and killing tons of people and all that) later on if what's been hinted at is any indication. Uhhh the author writes tons and tons of words per update, the most recent update being the same as a certain vegetable man's meme in word length, but although I skimmed over some stuff like the book reports it doesn't feel like padding as much as either worldbuilding, foreshadowing, or a tiny bit of plot.

Another recommendation for A Will Eternal as well. Pretty sure someone on here said this already but the main character is essentially the main character from Kung Fu Hustle except even more shameless and it's hilarious.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
holy poo poo there are over 1800 chapters of that right now on lnmtl. hmmmmm I'm gonna give it a shot

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
yeah i'm caught up on those bro

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
they're published novels not web stuff but check out Max Gladstone's works, they have a real diverse cast that includes at least a couple queer main characters. and they don't treat it like it's a Big Deal which i like

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
'My Uncle's Magic Ring Is Actually The Demon King's Secret Weakness: ~Let's All Destroy It~'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Megazver posted:

I dunno, I'd suggest Library of Heaven's Path and A Will Eternal, and maybe check the glossary every once in a while when you start out.

library's a good conventional one to start out with that doesn't have the horrible parts of many others, and you can drop it when you get bored with the repetitiveness of the humor (or you can keep going like me, a dummy). the original translator used pinyin for the cultivation realms in the beginning which makes it a bit tougher when you're not used to Chinese stuff but other than that it's very readable