Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
It's not like the Chinese authors/publishers aren't aware of these translations by this point. If they thought the donations for extra chapters thing was scummy, they would have probably shut down Wuxiaworld instead of officially licensing them as translators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Boy do I feel silly now for initially putting off the newest batch of chapters of Way of Choices, just because the ones before that ended with the tired old "Protagonist stumbles upon bathing girl" cliché.

The fight being over before all the limbs finish falling from the sky kind of reminded me of Dwarf Fortress :iit:

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Captain_duck posted:

Ok i read all of Seoul Station Necromancer and that was pretty entertaining. It starts off pretty slow, and is indeed dumb and trashy but still very entertaining, especially when it gets rolling later. One of the most entertaining parts is how much of an rear end in a top hat he used to be in the other world.

Also, he starts out strong, but not as a level100 god like in Overlord. There is some definite progression going throughout the series. Also where Overlord is just about the lich and his evil as gently caress NPC's conquering the world, this is way more about him regaining his skills. This way he actually feels way more like a necromancer to.

So yeah overall its probably better then Overlord. Overlord has some good chapters but theres a lot of mediocre boring poo poo in the middle.

I like how 90% of the protagonists abilities are straight up lifted from the Diablo 2 necromancer class. Clearly the most unrealistic part of the novel is actually that he barely ever uses Corpse Explosion.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
There's always Journey to the West if you're looking for an actually well-written example of the "powerful daoist cultivators being enormous assholes" novel.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I know that "Warlock in a Magus World" always had more or less vague D&D influences in the various worlds/settings the villainous MC schemed and murdered his way into conquering, but after nearly 800 chapters the author appears to have stopped giving a gently caress and sent him straight up into the Forgotten Realms.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Captain_duck posted:

The spirit stones remove ads, they arent required to read at all. Sure there annoying ads that take like 30 seconds, but its a small wait compared to a chapter. Also, the ads only show up on the most recent couple of chapters. If your reading the backlog you dont even need to pay spirit stones.

Nah, that's how it worked at the start, but more and more of their series have become "premium" series, which are locked to one chapter a day becoming readable without paying, no unlocking through ads allowed. Given the minimum release rate is double that or higher, a premium series will quickly build up a larger and larger stockpile of locked chapters - Release that Witch is up to 140+ already at this point, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Tornhelm posted:

If one free chapter a day really isn't enough for you, I'm amazed at how you can bear to put yourself through the torture of reading anything not one of the big sites. 99% of translations are 1-2 chapters a week at best, and you're whinging because you get 7?

I wasn't complaining, I just explained how their system works by this point. The freebies you get are enough for me to keep up with the single series I read on the site anyway.