Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Got a question for folks who have actually done fan-translations or edited them.

Sometimes I'll be reading a release of something and there'll be a (?) next to a word or phrase. Is this the editor questioning the word choice and it just doesn't get addressed sometimes, or is it a Japanese thing like putting (lol) next to a phrase to indicate sarcasm or something?

I ask because I cracked volume 2 of Yen Press's Mahouka and ran into it twice in the first, like, thirty pages. It wouldn't be the first time I saw an egregious editor fuckup in the series, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
When I get home I can pick out the exact spots it occurs, but if it's an actual thing in the Japanese text I'm not particularly surprised it was left alone.

We'll definitely see, though, because there was a conversation in the first volume where they accidentally translated Mizuki as Miyuki during a speaking part and it made literally no sense. :v:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Tamba posted:

It wasn't that hard to find, it's on the very first page of the volume:

so yes, that's from the original text and not an editor fuckup.

Yeah that was the one I was gonna post. Thanks for clearing things up for me!

darkgray posted:

Maybe it helps to know that Mahouka was originally a web novel published for free on Narou, and some of the quirks rampant there probably remain in the paper edition.

This makes sense.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don't support the author of mahouka, you monster

I understand and respect your opinion, but will continue to pay for my entertainment when I can.

Ytlaya posted:

Why are you reading Mahouka man don't do that to yourself.

HiveCommander posted:

I thought the paragraphs from the novels that Namtab posted back in the Mahouka thread would've been enough to convince everyone not-Wickedhate that it was bad

Yeah, they're not great. But sometimes I just need to shut off my brain for a few hours. It's not that much different than reading a Reacher novel.

Also the thread deserves to hear about professional translation/editorial errors as egregious as this:

The last instance of Miyuki is supposed to be Mizuki. :v:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
I mean, there are only two or three volumes officially translated. I could make a drinking game out of it and keep a running total if you really want. :v:

e: I'll even do you a solid and not hold you liable if I die from alcohol poisoning

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
I'm surprised DanMachi is as far up the list as it is, even though I enjoy it. Yen Press released volume 7 recently, and it went a little off the rails from where I thought the series was going. I don't want it to continue in that direction, even if it tried to burn the path any further to the ground.

Glad KonoSuba is crushing most everything else, though. Looking forward to supporting that.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
That whole segment was even dumber due to the fact that nothing occurred to justify the narrator bringing up the phrase, even. It was people just talking about the the usual "Tatsuya is unexpectedly(?) perfect at this academic exercise we were doing, wow!"

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
I reread the Mahouka thread now and again as a reminder to think hard before I discuss a creative work seriously, especially because my higher education is sorely lacking in areas around literature. Being the WickedHate of a thread would be a bad time.

My favorite part of the anime nowadays is imagining Tatsuya as one of Yuichi Nakamura's other characters, like Graham Aker Mister Bushido, or Nozaki-kun, awkwardly trying to fit into the setting.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
I've read the first... four? of Yen Press's Index releases and they were better than the fan translations of it I'd read previously. I'm not sure I want to say by leaps and bounds, because there's only so much that can be done with the material to begin with, but definitely less stilted and with more sensical grammar.

What exactly do you mean by comparing it to Railgun? Or which bits of Railgun do you want more of? Because you're probably going to be disappointed. :v:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

drilldo squirt posted:

Not enough cheese, or sauce, and the spinach should be put on after the oven you god drat clown.

Jackard posted:

Uhh that looks like a margherita pizza.

Yeah, that's a margherita, so it's basil, not spinach. :v:

Also it looks loving delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

darkgray posted:

The common factor among all these seems to be that they contain illustrations of girls in some state of nudity. Grimgar had shots of the "bath peeping" scene, for instance.

Yeah, it's this, especially if the illustrations are in the first few colored pages of the books. I own a few of the volumes and they're all damned if you judge them by that metric.