Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Can't find any translation, I'm afraid.

This should be loving illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Terrible fiction lets you move past all the boring stuff like character development or worthwhile plots and lets you get straight to the heart of why we're all here:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
xianxia is an ancap's wetdream up to and including the part where they won't admit they'd be some terminally low-level dweeb who gets wiped out by their self-insert

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

has anyone else read Trash of the Count's Family? see, the protagonist keeps on getting more pets and boyfriends, but the story never acknowledges that the boyfriends are boyfriends. i think that maybe the author doesn't realize that he wrote this as incredibly gay? or maybe i'm just seeing stuff that isn't there.

they're only his boyfriends so they don't murder him, much like your average otome

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Considering writing a Xianxia mmo story filled the brim with corporate product placement and all the most legendary moves and items are corporate sponsored

Thousand Swords of Eternal Dao, Brought to you by Microsoft!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I was also reading Legendary Mechanic until the MC justified genocide because, well, it’s them or the people that paid me!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i shall seal the heavens has a sense of humor at times. the platonic ideal of garbage cultivation webnovels is probably martial god asura. because it was so wildly successful, it popularized most of the terrible tropes which plague the genre.

i don't recommend actually reading it, because the mc is a psychotic serial rapist. i am not exaggerating at all. if anything that's an understatement.

also, slave harems aren't really a xianxia thing. trashy xianxia treats women like objects in different ways.

This is the correct answer. ISSTH introduces comedy in ways not usually seen in most xianxia and is a partial deconstruction (the deconstruction is much stronger in A Will Eternal, however), whereas coiling dragon involves many western elements to the formula that it is more xianxia in form than style.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

I think the thing that keeps bringing me back to these novels is the sheer grandeur. Everything’s just so timeless and impressive.

Gahahahahaha

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
All warlock know how to do is use AI chip and lie

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Big Dao Energy’s understanding of the Dao was such that he was on top of the world! No one’s Dao was larger than his!

“I have the bigger Dao,” claimed the arrogant young master.

Big Dao Energy did not respond, as he was very self confident in the size of his Dao. Instead, he unleashed his full power in a single gaze, which pierced through the arrogant young master.

“Guh!” The arrogant young master spat out a mouthful of blood. “Wait until I tell my daddy about you! He has a much bigger Dao, and then it is you who will feel inadequate!”

Big Dao Energy gave a booming laugh. He would test the size of this daddy’s Dao, but first he would teach this arrogant young master a lesson. He opened his mouth as spoke, “Qi is stored in the Eternal Balls of Yin and Yang.”

The arrogant young master’s Dao was shattered into a million pieces!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Which is just a very long winded way of saying I think the xianxia genre (and to a comparable extent many web novels) rest themselves on a type of toxic masculinity to the exclusion of using the elements to tell a greater variety of or more nuanced stories, which in turns causes the symptoms of less than savory story elements.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

DisDisDis posted:

haven't read wn's before, is formatting like this typical for translations? Synopsis sounded really fun for a vrmmo thing but the formatting is really distracting.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-warmhearted-you/?pg=2 this seems pretty well tled and is actually completed though

Echoing gwrth - this type of formatting is super common, at the very least among japanese web novels. It also tends to be more common with machine translations that semi-professional ones, presumably because that's precisely how the source material is.

I think this is part of the reason I tend to enjoy chinese web novels more, as they are far less likely to be formatted in ways that make it difficult to read. Perhaps because there's been way more money thrown behind their translation?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SaffronKit posted:

Today I learned! That's pretty neat, thanks for the info on that.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Holy poo poo do NOT read the comments for Monarch of Evernight chapter 3, I have never seen so many people angry that a little kid wouldn't murder a little girl in cold blood. Lots of "kill the bitch" being thrown around. :(

haha yeah a lot of wn comments love complaining the protagonist isnt being the perfect self-optimizing sociopath

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

My issue with most stories that involve actual stats/skills is that the overall "system" they exist within almost always sucks rear end (and the numbers/skills are just an excuse to directly quantify how "OP" characters are). I could see that sort of thing being interesting if the system was thought out well, but it rarely is. Forge of Destiny is probably the closest example I can think of to one that is good about this, and it keeps it stats completely divorced from the actual narrative (so it doesn't even really count).

One of the best examples of this is "I'm a spider, so what?"; I actually enjoyed that WN (though almost entirely for the non-Kumoko parts, which is apparently not a common opinion - I struggled through a lot of the early parts, with the interludes being a lot of what kept me reading in the hopes that things would get more interesting later), but its game system is dumb as hell and basically an excuse to give the protagonist (and some other characters) ridiculous abilities.

There are actually two separate issues to this.

The first is that what makes for good game mechanics doesn't necessarily make for a good story.

The second is that "excuse to give the protagonist ridiculous abilities" is the root motive of most litrpg webnovels, as they exist practically as a subgenre of wish fulfillment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I made a goon web novel discord.

https://discord.gg/RJfqep

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 26, 2020