Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
according to novelupdates, us monolingual peasants are still in the 60s for cultivation chat group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Shukaro posted:

Candy is doing the thread a priceless service by reading All The WNs and talking about them.

Stand strong you junky WN junkie, stand strong.

couldnt we replace him by just coding a bot that posts "i read $WN_TITLE and it was awful" every so often

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i think the "summoned hero" cliche must be a really old one in japanese geek media, i used to see it referenced every so often even before the current glut of trashy light novel and web novel series

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ A normal person becoming a hero is a trope in Western culture too, but I'm referring more specifically to adding the "reincarnated from another world" element to the mix.

that's what i was talking about too

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
theres a very old chinese PC game called Heroes of Jin Yong where the main character is a modern day person who was summoned into the world of a jin yong novel

as an aside that game's sequel got a remake recently called Tale of Wuxia thats kinda fun and its on Steam

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Jo Joestar posted:

Michael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion was about a man from modern-day earth getting summoned/reincarnated into a fantasy world and becoming a hero, complete with a magic sword. It was published in 1970, though, and I have no idea if it was at all popular in Japan.

this post reminded me of another western example of this, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. the first book was published in 1977. the main character is a leper who was abandoned by his wife and child, then one day he gets run down by a car and wakes up in a fantasy world. it doesnt fit the idea of him choosing to be a hero and fighting off the demon lord, though. i think its also always left an open question whether he's just experiencing some kind of death/coma hallucination or dream or if its all real.

he does a really bad thing in the beginning of the first book that bummed me out enough that i quit reading the first time i picked up the series as a teenager. ive always been meaning to try to go back to it

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Jackard posted:

Just finished 1632. You said this is a series? Where is the rest?

just google the title + read online. the next book is titled 1633

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
ironically, i'm reading 1633 now as well and i'm pretty sure it actually takes place in 1634

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh my god in ztj chen changsheng finally got out of that grueling extended chase sequence and then immediately ended up in a more or less identical situation

i want chen and phoenix girl to find out about each other and start dating already :3

and it took me until now to figure out that the female that Su Li keeps whining internally about is actually probably the secret girl character who's now falling in love with Wolf Guy. for some reason until now i thought he was talking about phoenix girl

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i find the pure power fantasy novels to be all in good fun. i enjoy stuff like Everyone Else is a Returnee. the mc is stronger than everyone and every lady falls in love with him. i get turned off when it gets super murdery and rapey though

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 11, 2017

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i am also reading a novel called game market 1983 thats really similar to I’m Really a Superstar, except instead of stealing literary works from our universe to succeed in another world the main character time travels back to 1983 and goes to japan in order to insinuate himself into the fledgling video game industry by stealing game ideas from the future. miyamoto, iwata, and gunpei yokoi are all characters

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think you can really say "it's all in good fun" about that sort of thing, because there isn't even anything fun about it (or at the very least I think it says something negative about someone if they do find that sort of thing entertaining). Like, even if you remove the misogyny from something like Shield Hero or Re:Monster, they are still so incredibly bad that it genuinely offends my sensibilities.

(I know I'm overreacting to this stuff, but Re:Monster was just so awesomely terrible that it made me irritated at the mere fact that it and other similar stories exist and are even relatively popular.)

i guess thats the biggest difference between us, then. when a relatively innocent power fantasy wears thin, i just get bored and stop reading. i dont find it actively offensive like Re: Monster or Shield Hero can be, or the litany of openly psychopathic murderers you can find in xianxia main characters

the only novels where I actively look forward to updates are Way of Choices and World of Cultivation, which arent really power fantasies in the way we're discussing

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Do any of those end up with the protagonists just constantly struggling and unable to deal with the fact that they're massive frauds and have no ideas of their own?

I'm Really a Superstar has a couple of instances where the main character should have gotten in trouble, but the author introduced a way for him to perfectly remember everything he has ever seen or read to get him out of it

with game market 1983 the main character is such a naturally talented programmer and businessman, even outside of his idea stealing, that its kind of a mystery to me why he was never successful in his original timeline

are there any other series like this? these are the only two I know of. people are talking like theres a lot of them though

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
theres some kinda drama going on in the web novel translating scene right now. translators are leaving the gravitytales site en masse and moving their series over to wuxiaworld or other sites. the readers are all like "whats going on?" and everyone directly involved are being super vague and shifty-eyed. theres some juicy gossip in the offing

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

world of cultivation might be good if they decided to actually translate it, but we will never know.

just treat it like you're reading an English fantasy or scifi novel

if you can't handle a couple dozen neologisms per book then your spec fic power level is too low

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like there are actually more of these "reincarnated with superpowers...but with a twist!" stories than there are stories that play the concept straight. It's like a bunch of people keep thinking "wouldn't it be totally unique/hilarious if instead of fighting the demon king (or whatever) someone did ___ instead???" and forget to notice such titles already vastly outnumber the genre they're supposedly subverting.

i think this happens with a lot of things. like for a western example the "what if superheros but its grimdark" trend in 90s comics

a bunch of stuff comes out reacting to other stuff and then the reactions to the reactions start coming out

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

i don't care if it is the most amazing work of fiction ever created, it is still harry potter fan fiction.

do you suppose that what we're all doing here is somehow on a higher level than harry potter fanfiction

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i watched a few random episodes of the show and the story seems a lot different from the source material. like they took the same characters and relationships and just did something different with them

the subs are all up on youtube if anyone is interested, i think the tv station or whatever put it out themselves. its a pretty cheesy production

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
is it wrong to snuggle otherworld critters in a dungeon?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

nielsm posted:

I hate the translations "ganbaru" usually bear. Is the "just appearing to make an effort is good enough" some cultural thing? Because that's what it appears like to me, and it feels really unnatural to read that. In English you never proudly proclaim you "will try", to be proud you will do it. "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Yes it sort of changes the meaning but not really. You still set out to make your best attempt to solve it, I think it's just the cultural outlook at the idea of doing something that may not have perfect success rate.

im not 100% sure what youre getting at but isnt the whole point of yoda saying that to luke that yoda is like delivering some high level wisdom. like luke was saying poo poo that people say all the time and yoda is being this enlightened master showing how it should be. like, the scene wouldnt exist if yoda was just enforcing the status quo. he was teaching luke something to break him out of his complacency.

someone intensely saying "i will try" seems really natural to me

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
couldnt you find an actual pro freelancer to translate a chapter for that kind of money?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

couldnt you find an actual pro freelancer to translate a chapter for that kind of money?

i was curious about this so i looked it up.

the latest chapter of way of choices is 2199 words. according to google a typical rate charged by a translator going from english to chinese would be around $0.10 per word. some are lower and some are higher. so in order to translate the latest chapter of way of choices into chinese it would cost $219.90

obviously, we're not changing from english to chinese but the other way around. but assuming things are roughly commensurate both ways you couldnt hire a professional translator for 150

thank you for reading

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i dont know who estelion is

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
the story seems to be about him using principles of psychology to manipulate people

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
cultivation chat group seems like its back to getting regular updates again and its pretty fun to read

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

the ones that take place on earth always wank about how amazing tcm is. it's weird as heck.

cultivation chat group has this section at the beginning, when the main character still believes hes reading the online postings of a bunch of chuunibyou, and he writes down a pill recipe they post in the chat group to research it because of how dangerous it is to randomly combine such medicinal ingredients as ginseng and ginger or whatever with each other

its funny. later his doctor cousin finds the list and tries to warn him off taking the “risk” of eating a bunch of tcm plants

i guess chinese really do buy into this stuff

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 11, 2017

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
cultivation chat group got “poached” by qidan international a while back. i didnt notice it until a couple days ago when the current fan translator posted the obligatory whine about QI because their chapters officially overtook his. anyway this is just a heads up to other people who like ccg that we’re getting 7 chapters a week now. novelupdates doesnt list a new group until theyve done at least 50 releases

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
as far as power creep goes, seeing the scale get so big in long xianxia series is kinda funny in a way, they really dont hold back. it reminds me of the Toriko manga. but in the end i think theyd be better served in general by just ending the story at a reasonable chapter number

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
as far as LNs go [all you need is kill] is good and has actually has a Real Translation

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
no skeleboners for skelebones lol XD

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
do you guys have any recs for good stories with protags who are kind and good and helpful and these qualities are portrayed in general as a positive thing

somewhat like ze tian ji’s Chen Changsheng or cultivation chat group’s Song Shuhang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
he should be honored to be giving face to me as part of my legacy. it is the just result of the karma sown between us