Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

But, seriously, I really like World of Culiviation because other characters actually matter and accomplish worthwhile things on their own. And there's just more of a sense of the characters working as a team. They get to do things. And have areas they're better at than the MC, even if the MC's still terrifyingly talented in a range of areas.

This sounds like it has a lot of similarities with The Realist Hero's Kingdom Restoration Chronicles, in a way, I'll have to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Fair warning, the translator chose not to translate a number of terms, so you get things like ling where most people would use spirit, and so on. Similarly, the different cultivation ranks are not translated. And so on. That's why gimme the candy above was complaining about an unreadable translation. If you push through and learn the terms, it becomes easy enough to understand--it only introduces so many terms. But I agree that this is not a step the translator should demand of the readers.

Right, makes sense. From an outside perspective it seems to be a commentary on some of the bad English translation quality of some web novels. I personally prefer honorifics in my translations so I usually I see nothing wrong with keeping some words untranslated if there's a purpose, but it's easy to see why others might find it off-putting or make the translations harder to follow.

darkgray posted:

Whoa, back from the dead!

Now with 200% less shitposting for now

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

jwang posted:

Hot drat Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki (A Realist's Kingdom Reform Chronicles) is good. The guy's bringing out Helsinki's Accord in the middle of negotiations and turns it into a parable. This is on par with that Hero, Be Mine LN featuring an economic reform Demon Queen, in my opinion. The translations are also pretty good (at least, the ones by larvyde is).

Glad to hear it's getting the attention it deserves!
It's a pretty neat series, just a shame that they alternate between good and poo poo translators

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lol some guy actually tried publishing his crossover fan fiction as a wn: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/shokugeki-no-imitation-chef/

:tipshat:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, I feel like there's a huge difference between "for every 50$ donation I will translate a chapter a few days faster and upload onto the internet that anyone can read for no cost, indefinitely" and "donate 50$ to get access to my unofficially translated book/s" . The latter would be extremely skeezy without permission from the original authors, but the former is just a translator tip. I mean imagine it this way - you're paying a guy a couple bucks to translate a publicly available free book for you. Would it really be much different than, say, buying a piece of translation software to translate the book for you?

Machine translators suck a lot, I'd rather pay an actual human for their time than pay for some software that spits out sentences barely more legible than Google Translate (which is free).
I don't see anything wrong with having paypal donation links on their site and what have you; since people are using their own spare time to translate stuff for the rest of us, let alone the costs associated with website setup and hosting.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I thought the paragraphs from the novels that Namtab posted back in the Mahouka thread would've been enough to convince everyone not-Wickedhate that it was bad

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Index is objectively worse because the headcrab is annoying, and quite possibly the worst character in the series.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Why don't they just go full Konosuba and upload everything as "fanfiction"?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

In all fairness, most of the stuff that gets officially-licensed translations wouldn't ever be published outside Japan if it weren't for the fan translation communities. Groups like Yenpress taking a steaming poo poo on the community that showed them which series is popular is kind of a dick move.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The Sandman posted:

The biggest problem with Grimgar is Ranta's continued existence.

Unless later volumes fix that, of course.

Pretty sure Ranta becomes way less of a dick later on, especially after the part the last few eps of the anime covered.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

iirc the aftermath of the big Kobold king fight is where the anime ended

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

For all of MT's faults, I have to admit that it does something very few power fantasies do; it actually show that the main character is NOT the strongest person in-universe.
That, and showing how much time and planning he puts into some of the major fights beforehand (like the fight against Orsted, where he builds a chunky, magical suit of Space Marine power armour, pretty much plans a spell rotation only to still get his lose one-sidedly) is something that I can't recall seeing in any other similar 'overpowered MC' isekai/fantasy stories. Usually a story would do the usual cop-out that Index is notorious for, where one side does something completely incomprehensible, but then the other side has miraculously planned for it and has the perfect counter.

I dig poo poo that shows the main characters actually struggling in difficult situations, since the genre is so full of the perfect solution being an asspull away.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

I'm curious about how they have the VA for Ferdinand in the announcement. He's one of the biggest characters in the series, but he doesn't even show up until part 2, and part 1 is beefy enough they can't exactly plow through it in a few episodes. Either they're going for a long series or they're going to try starting from the middle somehow.

We've seen enough light novel adaptations to know that studios aren't afraid to adapt upwards of 4-5 volumes in a 12 episode run

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm not sure how they'll be able to adapt it, since the only real breakpoint they could use is around where the manga is at now, and that would make for an incredibly rushed 12 episodes.
It's really the sort of story that'd need an all-or-nothing adaptation to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The only hope it really has of getting anywhere near a decent stopping point in 12 episodes if it rushes through the whole child and tutor arcs in 2-3 episodes max.