Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Web novels are almost universally schlocky trash and that's exactly what I want sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I was under the -obviously incorrect- assumption that the story ended with Schera dying in the woods after killing Diener, her struggles throughout the story ultimately futile and mostly meaningless. I kind of liked it ending in such a bleak way. Her and Diener both dying, leaving the fate of the kingdom to the survivors, with neither the reader nor any of the most important characters even getting to know how things turn out felt like a pretty good ending consistent with the tone of the work.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

darkgray posted:

Hmm, Re:Zero just passed Kumoko on Narou's overall ranking, reaching #8. The anime has had quite the positive impact on its popularity there. Wonder if it can maintain it, given the complete lack of updates for over half a year.

In the meantime, Tondemo Skill also managed to kick Shield Hero out of the top ten. Hard to see what makes it good from the 1.5 chapters I read, but it's getting a paper release soon, at least.

I had too much free time and read what's been translated and it seems really bland and bad. At a minimum it seems pretty inoffensive, whatever that's worth. Lots and lots of time spent describing boring food. Premise has some potential but I have zero faith it'll be realized.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

At this point I'm mostly reading superstar for the weird conflicted ideals. Every plot line is basically the protagonist talking poo poo about authority figures and then getting vindicated but it's extremely nationalistic. It's not really a good thing but it's interesting I guess? I don't think I can properly explain why it appeals to me.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Anyone looking for a moderately above average wn should check out Library of Heaven's Path. Mostly inoffensive, at least for as far as the translation has gone and pretty funny at times.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Law Cheetah posted:

I'm Really a Superstar has a couple of instances where the main character should have gotten in trouble, but the author introduced a way for him to perfectly remember everything he has ever seen or read to get him out of it

with game market 1983 the main character is such a naturally talented programmer and businessman, even outside of his idea stealing, that its kind of a mystery to me why he was never successful in his original timeline

are there any other series like this? these are the only two I know of. people are talking like theres a lot of them though

There are a couple I've read, god of cooking and god of music, I wouldn't strongly recommend them but if the premise of one interests you it might be worth a shot. God of Cooking is basically Chopped/Iron Chef fanfic which is fun.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Undefeated God of War has gotten to be extremely funny.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

master of the stars is unintentionally very funny because it is yet another power fantasy except the mc is just some dumb college kid who is addicted to hallucinogens. his path to ultimate power is functionally identical to being really, really high and having a really intense trip. that is absolutely not what it is going for, of course. he is presented as special, unique, and totally unlike those degenerate rich kids (who are also high as gently caress, albeit without gaining magic powers). even better, one of his starting benefits from experimenting with a cubic fuckton of drugs is having a huge appetite, which is also presented as a special power.

I'm reading this as well and it's gotten very hard to follow the plot, not sure if it's the translation or the source material that's responsible.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

it is very similar to both trip reports and standard incoherent cultivation stuff. i find that amusing, which is the only reason i'm reading it at all.

it is very bad otherwise.

it is terrible yes, I do like that the "confrontation" with the rich kid he did a drawing of didn't result in the standard "do you know who I am? my father is the head of such and such sect etc etc" and they ended up helping each other out instead, pretty much everything else points to it being not worth reading

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Sometimes keeping non-English terms makes a lot of sense for the audience translators are writing for. It's often taken too far and can be practically unreadable at the extremes. Chinese novels involving old school nobility are generally the worst for this.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

UberJew posted:

are you insulting me junior martial brother

Not at all senior martial apprentice brother.
it hardly bears mentioning that extremely literal translations aren't a great alternative either

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

ISSTH is not at its best right now but I'm starting to really like this Jin Yunshan guy:
“You can try to hide it,” he thought, “but my Flame Eye can see your greedy nature. Hmph! I’ve already given you a bracelet of holding, so if you look at me the wrong way again, then I’ll remind you about that fact to make sure things don’t go too far. And if you really get out of hand… well, I’ve prepared five more bracelets of holding. Don’t think I won’t be able to handle you this time!” Snorted coldly inside, Jin Yunshan stuck his jaw out, looking as proud and lofty as ever.
and in the next chapter
Soon, the coldness around them intensified, and cracking sounds could be heard as the ground began to ice over. Endless numbers of ghosts began to swirl around Meng Hao, forming a vortex. Everyone was shocked, especially Jin Yunshan, who shivered and pulled out a bracelet of holding.
lmbo

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

They're far too long to actually recommend but Martial World and True Martial World are pretty good examples of the genre without wholly irredeemable protagonists. Both novels get much less interesting once the protagonists get really strong but that's a common issue.

What I would recommend are Undefeated God of War and World of Cultivation as they stick less strictly within the genre and are much better for it. Undefeated God of War and World of Cultivation are more about the protagonist creating their own faction so they have stuff like supporting characters that actually stick around and stay relevant as well as avoiding the classic "protagonist pisses off some powerful jerkass, gets stronger, kills them, and then leaves the area" loop that seems to define the genre.
Undefeated God of War is also, to me at least, very funny, and has gotten a lot better over time.

Library of Heavens Path is also worth mentioning but do note it is a straight up comedy.

E: and a will eternal, read that

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Piell posted:

I read like 400 chapters of that and wish I didn't. Nothing ever happens.

Yeah it would be good if it wasn't incredibly boring.

something that could be said about a lot of wns

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

There are adblocker browsers available for mobile, on Android at least, not sure about iDevices. I think ublock is available for the mobile versions of Firefox/chrome too.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Unruly Phoenix Xiaoyao is a transmigration novel about a woman forced to act as a puppet emperor, involving court intrigue, romance, and the occasional dumb superpower.

At least that's what you might think, but it's actually about a woman relentlessly bullying her evil grandfather, and fully leverages the power structure of imperial authority for comedy. It beautifully captures the absolute shamelessness that makes the leads of AWE and ISSTH funny. Tickles my funny bone very well but is popcorn at best otherwise.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

let me guess, the love interest is royalty, impossibly pretty and disturbingly possessive and controlling?

no, just a little, no

on that last point it loving weirds me out sometimes how far that can go with the readers/characters still being totally cool with it

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

cool, i'll have to check it out then. i'm not opposed to reading trashy wn's about some cool lady who reincarnates and starts kicking rear end, but those creepy loving love interests are ubiquitous in the genre. i guess that's the romantic ideal for the target audience?

whats especially hosed up is how out-and-out abusive relationships are ubiquitous in a genre that is supposedly a female power fantasy. I understand in theory that it's a sign of how "madly in love" the male lead is but it often goes way too far and is never depicted as a bad thing.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's just a fetish sorta thing, sorta like how some people have a "rape fetish" but obviously don't actually want to be raped.

That's probably true at least sometimes but I can't overstate just how common it is in this genre, any other relationship dynamic is the exception to the rule. There is certainly a wide range in severity, at least.

I actually think there is a lot that can be said here about societies depiction of abusive/toxic relationships and how even women perpetuate/romanticize that stuff but I'm far from being an expert so all I can say is it squicks me out.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Good thing I caught up to Forge of Destiny yesterday.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Jymmybob posted:

Way of the Devil has settled into a fairly chill way to cruise through clowning on unsuspecting societies over and over with blunt force with often entertaining effects.

Say you only have access to a lovely crane herding skill but overwhelming brute force powers.

:lol: that's incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Been bingeing The Legendary Mechanic (thanks covid-19!) and would rate it as solidly above average. Combination stuck in VRMMO and time travel nonsense have the main character act as an NPC in a sci-fi setting, starting from about one year before the players show up. The setting is one where individuals can gain sufficient strength to entirely swing conflicts to their favour, has a bit of a xianxia feeling in that specific respect. It starts with the protagonist having survived some sort of experiment by a secretive evil organisation, and he must escape their control then turn to the task of seeing to it that they are destroyed.

The early chapters have way too much videogame stat idiocy and it's a recurring problem. I can't recommend the novel if that gets under your skin. Stats and numbers are ever present but can usually be safely skimmed over and it gets much, much better about not interrupting the flow of the writing once the author gets their feet under them.

Has some fun stuff where it's implied that everything is real, and the players showing up is a very strange thing. No one knows quite what to make of all these eccentric immortals that suddenly appear one day, except for the protagonist who takes great pains to make himself an "important, main storyline NPC" so he can take as much advantage of the players as possible. Does a really great job of handling escalating power levels, so the protagonist never feels totally safe, and the scale expands in a satisfying manner. It starts with a somewhat grounded conflict but later chapters involve fleets of spaceships and intergalactic politics. Nice amount of humour, even if some of it really doesn't land it's a lot of people being exasperated or annoyed which I tend to enjoy.

TLDR: It's good junk food but boy is it ever junk.