Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So, apparently Praise the Orc has completed. Everyone should read it, as it's a very fun hot-blooded story that ends at just the right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So I found something that looks interesting: Cultivating to become a Great Celestial.

The summary looks interesting enough, and the reviews draws comparisons with My Disciple. It isn't enormously long, coming in at around 260 chapters, so it's probably a decent read. I'll give a trip report in a week or two.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So, trip report (up to about a quarter of the way through) of Cultivating to Become a Great Celestial raws:

Not much murder-hoboing done on screen, though the MC is treated like trash because she literally has garbage talents in almost every field of cultivation. Except for the cannon fodder that comes and goes quickly, all the characters are reasonably well developed. A very enjoyable read so far.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Trip report of the complete Cultivating to Become a Great Celestial (raw):

Overall, 8/10. The character developments were well done; the story is well focused upon the main character and the supporting cast; each arc had development of some sort for the characters; everybody had a part to play in the finale.

The climax of the story feels a bit like a Deus ex Machina, where the MC requires outside supernatural help to finally defeat the big bad. It doesn't with finality either, since it's implied that even with the great evil defeated for now, it will come back some time in the future. I take off two points for those two issues, as well as feeling like it was dragging in certain parts.

Overall, very solid story, and if you enjoyed My Disciple, you would definitely like this one as well. While you might not laugh as much in this story, it still has a bit of everything to make it truly enjoyable.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
IET is fun to read when you don't think much about it. When you do think a bit more about it, you realize that these people don't have any contemporary physics existing in their world, otherwise the size of the planets they're on should technically be collapsing upon itself from the mass it holds into a fiery ball of nuclear fusion, and the people would be crushed by the gravitational pull of their world. I suppose there's a fifth fundamental force of MAGIC that prevents everything from imploding on itself from the sheer oversized ego it possesses.

I guess this is why I find Cultivation Chat Group world-building to be so charming: the main world is still Earth, the extra-terrestrial worlds are either illusions, independent dimensions, or other planetoids, and things are connected via magic gates or travelling at ludicrous speeds.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i couldn't get past the early parts of cultivation chat group that were like an extended episode of three's company.

The early parts of CCG requires a somewhat decent understanding of Chinese humor and memes. Otherwise, you can pretty much skip to the point where he accidentally simplifies the body strengthening brew, and begins the TRUE wacky adventures of modern day cultivation, complete with passing off standardized morning exercises as secret martial arts katas and using tractors in an Initial D/Mario Kart style race.

Seriously, that last part should be motivation enough to get you to power through the dull parts of the story.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Cultivation Chat Group has got to be one of my favorite Xianxia style stories, right up there with My Disciple. If you're talking about modern cultivation or cultivation stories without transmigration though, CCG definitely beats all competitors, hands down. It has humor, action, and a MC that is such a nice guy that he can't get any girls (though that might be partly because of his denseness). Seriously, read it.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
That’s the one with Bakarina right? I remember it being good wholesome humor, so I’ll be sure to check it out.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
The best part about Bakarina is that she was an equal opportunity harem maker. Male or female, once you crossed the Bakarina event horizon, you have no hope of escape.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
This is probably the result of either A. forgettable characters or B. character inflation. In either case, earlier characters tends to get forgotten unless they are frequently brought up. Read Cultivation Chat Group to avoid these problems!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Dungeon Defense volume 5 has been completely translated. It’s magnificent as usual. Go read it!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Goddammit, it’s so annoying to see a translation get updated, only by the worst translation group ever. Baka Dogeza should either stop translating or get a better editor, because their translations are horrible.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Currently picked up Everlasting Immortal Firmament, reading it in Chinese. This is some really good stuff for the first 10 chapters so far, with tactical planning that feels like it came out of Romance of Three Kingdoms. Hopefully it can keep up being this awesome.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Took a look at the wiki, doesn’t seem too rapey. However, he does end up picking up a harem, so don’t expect any real female empowerment. He also uses a lot of Chinese culture stuff to name things and people, so the expected culture wank is there.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

SerSpook posted:

A Will Eternal is actually legitimately funny so far, mainly because Bai Xiaochun is a much better protagonist than literally any other xianxia protagonist. I've not read since chapter 300 or so though, so maybe that's changed.

OBJECTION! I present cases of My Disciple Died Yet Again and Cultivation Chat Group as having just as good, if not better, protagonists.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Apparently there's an issue with Chinese Qidian and all the scraper sites isn't updating because of it. Hopefully they fix it soon, because there's no way in hell I'm getting a membership to it.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I'm talking about China's site, not the English Qidian. Cultivation Chat Group hasn't updated on the scraper site I use because of this.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Library of Heaven's Path is a fun read, but very shallow. If you enjoy reading stories where the MC just stomps all over the opposition, this is something you would enjoy. I read it because it's less garbage than most other crap out there, but it only ranks slightly above IET works for me because it's very predictable but amusing.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Chinese attempts at European names are hilarious because they try to fit double meanings into the characters chosen to represent the name, just like they do with regular Chinese names. Sometimes it works out nicely, but other times you just laugh because it ends up being a terrible pun.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Cultivation Chat Group remains amazing. Latest in cultivation hijinks: how to cook (and eat) heavenly tribulations.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Prosperous Food Translations have some good translations going on. Granted, it's all closely tied with food like the group name suggests, but for the most part all the characters are likable and not total scumbag murder-hobos.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So apparently Fall in Love with the Villainess was still being translated. However, the quality seems to take a nosedive after the translation updates were taken down from Novelupdates. I don't know why they even bother with how poo poo the translations are.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
What's worse than a WN with terrible translations? A WN with terrible translations and terrible writing. Overgeared managed to hit both these marks, being a half-assed translation at a half-assed attempt at the Korean VRMMO genre. An unlikable MC, dull plot, and a translation that reads like it has been run through Google translation with minimum editing, it just doesn't get good enough for me to continue past chapter 30. Despite this, there's over 500 chapters of this garbage translated. I'd rather read Qidian Xianxia trash, as it's more coherent than what Wuxia World is offering.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Cultivation Chat Group is like the 1% of the Xianxia genre, so it's in its own category. I'm talking about the general murder-hobo stories, where the go-to resolution to any problem is the kill the poo poo out of anyone that looks at you cross-eyed.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So uh... I’m not sure if anyone ever brings it up, but transmigrating into someone who died pretty much means you’re going to die immediately after hopping into the corpse. Unless the transmigration process magically heals that body of any injuries and illness that caused the death. Poison doesn’t magically disappear from a body once it’s dead, that’s why DDT was so terrible!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Time to crank up the Eurobeat tracks while reading these chapters. DEJA VU!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
The one picked will obviously be the scummiest.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
You know what's a technique/technology in these uplift historical transmigration stories always seem to forget? Lost wax casting. Dr. Stone manga did a showcase in how it can be used to create higher precision parts in combination with a watermill lathe, yet a majority of these stories just gloss over it, not even realizing that a good portion of modern mechanical parts still require this ancient technique to produce. Now whenever I read about "we can't do X, Y, or Z because we don't have the precision parts for it" I get mad because all the materials required to produce the parts is relatively easily accessible, it just takes more effort because we don't have mechanically guided lathes.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It means he cussed out the guy's ancestors all the way back by eighteen generations. The "greeting" is probably a poor machine translation of 问候, which while does mean greeting, in this case means to curse. As a side note, anything dealing with your ancestors, and by eighteen generations, is generally not something good.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Jin Yong (Louis Cha) has passed at age 94. Let us take a moment to pay our respects to one of the greatest authors of the Wuxia genre.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It's a good series that doesn't take anything very seriously. All the fights, no matter how serious, always ends in some kind of hijinks. Whether this is due to one of Song Shuhang's abilities, some unexpected entry by a supporting character, or something else, it's bound to be entertaining. While it may drag on a bit at some points, it quickly gets going once the hijinks start again. One thing that I really need to commend this author for is that he makes sure that almost all of the supporting cast continues to be somewhat relevant, or quickly drop anyone that isn't. The character bloat isn't too terrible, and I can actually keep track of all the members of the cast due to how distinct each of their personalities are.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Furious Lobster posted:

Been waiting for the hijinks to start once again since Song is finally back from space, but nothing's really happened and it's pretty much become the same as any xianxia story with endless power-ups. There is the occasional joke, and zany affair but nothing on the level before he took his trip upwards.

I'm not sure where the translations stand right now, but it gets good again once Song's cultivation kicks into high gear (literally, in some cases). Right now he's plateaued out a bit, but once he starts leveling up, the level ups don't stop, and is always filled with all kinds of craziness. To give a hint of what's to come, in the latest chapters he literally eats the rank-up tribulations for breakfast. You just got to power through the slower parts to get to the good stuff.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So the author of Library of Heaven's Path/Way posted a message, saying that he's planning to end the story by the end of the year. That means, at a daily average of 2 chapters a day, assuming that he doesn't do huge chapter dumps, there will be around 700 more chapters to this 1914 chapter beast. While there are other stories with more chapters, this is still quite hefty if taken as a whole. However, I think we're on like arc 16 or something, so at around 100 chapters per arc, it isn't too bad.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Just learn another language, jeez. More seriously though, translation can be a lucrative skill, especially when it's a language in high demand (like Arabic following 9/11). Chinese will continue to be in demand since China's population is huge, and that's just a huge business opportunity right there, whether it's Chinese to another language or vise versa.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Tried reading the English translations of Ascendance of Bookworm, but holy crap things took a nosedive in quality after chapter 103. Good news though: there's a Chinese version out, and we know how much my people care about things like IP and copyright. According to the titles, looks like they already have it translated up to the third arc, volume 5. Not bad, considering that's 12/21 volumes translated. The only issue is that it's all in traditional Chinese, which makes it tougher for me to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
While revisiting I Shall Seal the Heavens, I saw this gem of a review on Novelupdates:

Zackarotto posted:

Meng Hao walked into the McDonald's. The cultivator taking his order gave a derisive snort, but Meng Hao did not really care, because he had repressed his aura down to the Single Patty Realm, and a fool would not be able to tell his true level of burger eating.
"Give me... a Happy Meal!"
The cultivator's face flickered before he finally regained his composure and laughed. "You couldn't afford a Happy Meal. Get lost! Don't you see that there are Double Quarter Pounder Realm eaters waiting behind you?
Meng Hao slapped his bag of holding and threw 80 billion spirit McDonald's coupons onto the counter, causing an earthquake which demolished half of the restaurant. Everyone dropped their jaws. None could see how this was possible!
"I'll take that Happy Meal with a side order of fries, " Meng Hao said. He was as calm as the ocean in a painting of an insanely calm ocean. "And let me see your manager!"
The cashier cultivator coughed up a mouthful of ketchup. He simply could not handle Meng Hao's killing intent, because he was only at the Quarter Pounder with Cheese realm himself. Even though Meng Hao had suppressed his aura, because he had cultivated the Heavenly Burgin' Qi, this was enough to kill people a few levels higher if he truly wanted.
It was then that another man which a much more fierce aura stepped forward. "You dare make trouble here?"
"P... Patriarch Hamburglar!"
Patriarch Hamburglar was 99 cents of the way into the Big Mac Realm, plus tax! Meng Hao was pushed back two feet, knocking over a soda machine. Powerade Mountain Berry Blast geysered outward, killing several onlookers.
Of course, Mayor McCheese saw all this happen through the window.
Meng Hao coughed up a mouthful of blood, snorted, constricted his pupils, and then his expression went calm. He unleashed the aura of 64 patties, condensed down to a 2 patty stack that could fit into his mouth!
Mayor McCheese coughed up a mouthful of cheese. His pupils constricted.
"Is this... Seeking the McRib stage??"
Meng Hao had the gentle air of a scholar, but it wouldn't stop him from killing several people in a McDonald's.
"Burger Devouring Scripture! I'm Lovin' It!"
With the first keyword of the Burger Devouring Scripture, everyone below the early Quarter Pounder With Cheese stage exploded into purple mist. The light of the immense heavenly burger shone down with the contours of a golden arch as 9 illusory burgers floated around Meng Hao's body, which is probably an important xianxia number that matches the number of lakes in some sacred Chinese province I've never heard of. But that was only a fraction of Meng Hao's power. He waved his arm, bringing forth thirty more cultivation techniques that hadn't appeared in over 400 chapters!
"Heavenly Tribulation Fries! Eastern Everburning Egg McMuffin! Fruit Smoothie Guillotine! Soul McCafe Mocha Incarnation!"
Meng Hao's expression was the same as ever as he slapped his bag of holding, and brought out his karmic ketchup packet, Fry Cook Lord medallion, seventeen different wooden time spatulas, a five-coloured resurrection coupon, the silk burger wrapper, various souls of lightning McNuggets that he may or may not still have, and his mask of the legacy of Ronald McDonald. Oh, and the image of a flying Chicken Snack Wrap dragon appeared. Remember that? It was basically his Main Thing at the start of the novel, but quietly faded into irrelevance. Until now!
All of this takes some time to describe, but actually happened in the space of only a few breaths.
"What! Impossible!"
Meng Hao wanted to summon the parrot as well, but it was too overcome with eroticism by the purple fur depicted on a nearby poster of Grimace, and was busy drilling out a glory hole straight through the poster, and the wall it was pinned to, with its strong parrot erection.
But it was more than enough. The Hamburglar's soul flew out and was absorbed into his mask! He screamed as his body was destroyed completely.
Meng Hao brushed off his robe and swept up his spirit coupons and everyone's bags of holding which probably didn't have any cool sh*t inside unless I write him into a corner later, and anyways, don't worry about it for now. He surveyed the rubble that was all that remained of the McDonald's.
"Guess I'll be taking that Happy Meal... to go!"