Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i disagree. no matter how the dice rolls play out or what choices are voted for, she still gets more and better stuff which takes the form of more and better dice.

While there is a few exceptions to this, Ling Qi does get quite lucky.

However, dice is still important for those of us who likes manipulating odds and mechanics. That the actual benefits might be more narrative than mechanics doesn't actually change that I don't consider it superfluous at all, and 'stacking the odds' is something fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

and then they went back for another try later on, but the rolls were successful that time.

Later being late enough that the friendship had permanently changed and the friend in question also has permanently changed.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Bookworm's got 677 chapters. Blastron's done 67 of them. At his currently fortnightly release rate, it will take him an actual quarter century to finish. :tif:

Speaking of stories which take vast fantastical premises merely to recreate the modern world with bells on,

Crossing to the Future, it’s Not Easy to Be a Man, is a (deep breath) cross-dressing space opera xianxia isekai with mecha, for girls. And maybe a political intrigue aspect? There's a lot going on here. There's so much going on here that the blurb mentions events that have not yet happened, one hundred and fifty-two chapters in. 152 chapters and we're still in the prologue. I wouldn't call it slow-paced, exactly, but there's nothing here that couldn't be abbreviated if the meat of the story is much later on.

It's also kinda... gross? The setting's this horrific fascist dystopia where people are sorted into castes at birth based on their genetic potential and military service is the highest, only source of merit. Even the youngest of children are expected to solve all disputes by violence and form rigid hierarchies among themselves. But I'm not certain the author knows she's describing a dystopia?

I think the author knows, but it's somewhat hard to tell because chinese values are somewhat in awe of dystopias, so....

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

SerSpook posted:

So on Forge of Destiny, I went back and looked over a few older chapters/updates. One thing that stood out to me, and makes me feel pretty good about Cai Renxiang, is that she did show some pretty decent consideration and regard of Ling Qi going pretty far back. I didn't really have a dog in the race, but Cai's actions earlier in the quest stood out to me. In fact, she seems to have a repeated behavior of looking after Ling Qi's safety when Thunderdome type situations spring up, and when it's not her, Gan Guangli seems to serve a similar role.

I think it's also interesting that her other recruit/retainer, Gan Guangli, comes from the background he does. It seems like she tries to pick out people that have been victims of injustice and abuse by those stronger than them. Admittedly, a small sample size for any major statement, but she seems to genuinely try to do good things.

While I agree she tries to do good things, I would not say Ling Qi is a good example of someone who has been victim of injustice and abuse by those stronger than her? Hell, Su Ling/ Li Suyin/ Ji Rong would be better example of those, really.

What Ling Qi exhibited was both talent and a significant loyal streak, as well as the capacity to submit to those stronger than her.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 26, 2018

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm honestly curious how in the gently caress this story is ever supposed to end, or even get remotely far into Ling Qi's cultivation. Like, at some point we're going to need multi-year time skips or something, since it seems to be the case that this sort of week to week progress just isn't a thing beyond green/bronze (even green/bronze seems long enough that it's doubtful Ling Qi will pass it in the next year or so, from what I understand). I guess to some degree you can just increase the vote periods from weeks to months to years, but the journey ahead is so long that it seems very unlikely to ever reach the point where Ling Qi is actually in the upper echelons of the empire.

After the tournament there is going to be a new thread, and we'd be going with longer turns (maybe a month?), and then once we leave the sect completely even longer turn probably, and so on.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I'm halfway through Ghostwater. I felt sorry for the gold dragon girl and her attendants. She wasn't actually trying to kill Lindon at first, and the attendants didn't really do anything wrong. And while Lindon was also willing to negotiate initially (Orthos got in the way), he did miss a chance for a non-lethal resolution when he ran inside the second time she confronted him instead of just handing over the Eye of the Deep. Granted, he would probably have been killed by something else shortly thereafter while either wandering around outside in search of the other portal or acting as the dragon girl's lackey (and Orthos would never have accepted the latter option anyway).

This seems mostly intentional on Will Wight's part, though. He seems to be aware that other than Akura Mercy and Suriel, the protagonists aren't really all that good, and the dragon girl's death was definitely played for tragedy.

I.. am not sure? Dragon girl was specifically following Lindon not only because she thought he knew something, but also because black dragon ingredients are worth money, so she wanted to harvest Orthos. The attendants are basically victims here, but there is no real indication she would not have killed him had she taken the eyes of the deep. Or any indication he could have survived without it even if she didn't (and she wanted Orthos too).

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

She specifically said she would let him live if he handed over the Eye of the Deep (and there's nothing to suggest she was lying, especially since there was nothing really stopping her from killing him first and then taking the Eye).

I mean, she also specifically said she was looking forward to skinning and selling off Orthos, and the thing that would stop her from killing him first and then taking the eye is him plausibly destroying the eye first/trying to escape.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I like how the recent Forge of Destiny stuff actually mentioned how much Ling Qi's personality has changed. Part of me doesn't really like the direction her personality has gone, but it's also made her a better and more distinct character than if she just did/said the things that I wanted her to. Ji Rong kinda had a point when he mentioned that there's nothing really more evil/bad about what he did than what Ling Qi/Cai's faction did (if anything, it was a pretty morally neutral conflict). It's also nice that Ji Rong himself seems to be changing; FoD's biggest strength has always been how organic/natural its characters feel, and how they're capable of growing and changing along with the protagonist.

I mean... Ji Rong was someone who spent his time in the conflict purposefully attacking people weaker than he was to break their face in, while Ling Qi/Cai's faction spent most of their giving training lessons to the lesser able people in the outer sect, giving them access to cheaper pills and giving them access to a safe space they could train in and sites.

CRX was totally a Tyrant, but it's worth noting that she was never on the offensive, and pretty much everything Liling's faction did was guerilla fighting and ambushes targetting at weaker cultivators, while CRX put herself in a position to guide and protect them.

Ji Rong's whole point in his dialog is that he hates people who pretend to help because those people lie anyway. So he continued to follow his old path of being a Thug Enforcer.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It's pretty valid to think that the outer sect should just be a free for all and to resist Cai's changes, though (and Cai's help was contingent on submission to her). Like, it's not really morally better or worse to push back against Cai's control. And it's not like Ling Qi is a big fan of playing fair; she's done some lovely stuff too.

Ji Rong is just a fun dude who is rad and breaks faces and none of you can take that from me :colbert:

It's not really valid to think there should be no factions. It is valid to think one should try and help his own faction be stronger than other factions, obviously, but everyone under Liling was /also/ under Liling, and arguably moreso than people under CRX were under CRX.

Yeah, the argument that CRX should be the one heading the outer sect is basically 'lol nepotism', but it's the same argument that Sun Liling should be leading her own faction, and ultimately we need to look at what the actual factions were doing.

Cai and Ling Qi have actually been rather consistent about being "one the defensive" and not "randomly bash people's head" like Sun Liling and Ji Rong have been doing, barring some of Fu Xiang's shenanigans (and at this point it is pretty clear Fu Xiang does not, in fact, follow CRX's wishes).

It's not morally bad to push back against CRX and want to establish your own thing, but it's morally bad when you do so by purposefully targeting the weaklings in order to create terror. Ji Rong just is looking back at the good old day when he was a gang leader, and wishes he was still one.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

SITB posted:

So because they were 'turbo bourgeoisie' it's ok to beat the poo poo out of them? Do the Ma twins or Gan Guangli deserve to be beaten down simply because they joined the sect and weren't scouted? (IIRC, Li Suyin father took a loan to pay her tuition fee).

Yeah, Suyin's dad spent 10 years of saving and took out a loan to get her in the sect. Ma twin's father is a potter, so probably had to take quite the loan too. In the sect people might be much richer than Ji Rong used to be as a rule, but they are probably are poorer than Ji Rong now is as the same rule.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I downloaded Qidian's webnovel app (the english one) so I could read Cultivation Chat Group on my phone and a series called Lady Cultivator caught my eye. According to the translator, it's more cultivation focused than romance focused, which got me interested since that isn't common with a female protagonist. So I've been reading it, and it seems decent so far. I'll keep reading to see how it turns out.

Lady Cultivator is the first series by the author of Phoenix Destiny, which I also like a lot. Phoenix Destiny has a bit more romance, but is almost solely not about romance, too.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I don't really care for the stealing aspect; I just like the movement aspect and its associated "visuals." But yeah, Harmony also would have been good, and I would also be happy with that (it also seems like it could be more interesting narratively). In general I'm not a huge fan of dark stuff, though Ling Qi was kind of railroaded into that when she was granted these extremely good dark-element arts early into her cultivation (though this is kind of her last chance to change direction without any significant downsides, if I'm understanding the way Domains work correctly).

Yeah, there is still a possibility to go for a less dark domain, though a significant portion of the voterbase likes dark stuff. That, and Zeqing just keeps on giving.

Anyway, Harmony thankfully will most likely be learned fairly rapidly. I suspect ENM (the memory wind/dark art) will be learned first, but Harmony is pretty much locked fairly soon.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it's seemed obvious that a lot of the voterbase is a fan of the dark stuff. I kinda wonder if the focus on music wasn't almost entirely due to narrative (and Ling Qi acquiring a bunch of stuff that made focusing on that mechanically ideal for her), since if things were left entirely to the audience I would have expected something sticking to the stealth/knives.

I had forgotten that her ice stuff is actually dark/water (and that ice apparently isn't its own element, or at least isn't in that context). Which actually makes me even more confident in my opposition to the dark, since I wasn't a fan of that either (even though it's obviously very effective in combat). I realize it's definitely a losing battle, though, since the audience obviously likes that. I just like the idea of being more focused on wind and whatever Phantasmagoria of Lunar Revelry's deal is (I looked it up and it doesn't list the elements). If I had to choose general themes, it would probably be something like "wind/music/social".

There is actually a funny story about the music stuff. Basically the chargen vote about Ling Qi had the voters talking about her having some music abilities to tide the dark times in the streets, which is why she began with a flute and such.

Exotic/Advanced elements are a bit of a weird thing. For example, the Gu (from Xiulan fame) have a line toward Sun that comes from Fire/Heaven, but some other people have Sun that comes from, say, Fire/Wind or something. This is why some Ice arts we have seen previously were Wind/Water, but Zeqing's seems to be Dark/Water (which is kinda weird for a sentient Blizzard).

Anyway, my point is that Ice is its own element, but it's more that Ling Qi herself isn't able to directly access it it yet, so instead she does Dark/Water.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

blastron posted:

Gromgar barely qualifies as isekai, though. Yes, the adventurers are transported from the modern world to a fantasy setting, but they lose literally all knowledge of who they were and nearly all understanding of things other than what they learn from their fledgling adventuring career. The fact that they’re from modern Japan is ultimately irrelevant, at least as far as the anime covers. They are basically blank slates that gain skill and setting knowledge at the rate the audience does.

I disagree.

As often as not an Isekai coming from Japan has no actual relevance to the plot. In fact, that they come from somewhere else is often not that important. Grimgarr actually has the fact that they come from somewhere else being very important, and as such it's more Isekai than many Isekai.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Piell posted:

She's straight though, she mentions it later.

How the hell is she straight? she spent the first 40 chapters saying she was gay.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah, seems like the writer got scared or something, given that earlier on she thinks the exact opposite quite a few times.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ohhh, thanks, this makes sense (and now that you mention it I believe something like this was mentioned during that conversation).

I get the impression there's a pretty huge gap between Truegold and Underlord. All the golds we've seen so far, regardless of stage, have abilities that aren't anything too nuts (to make a Forge of Destiny comparison, all Gold-level techniques in the Cradle books seem roughly comparable with the stuff Yellow/Silver people can do in FoD), while Eithan has a genuinely crazy ability.

It does the 'classic' thing with 3 levels per realms:

Copper-Iron-Jade
Lowgold-Highgold-Truegold
Underlord-Overlord-TrueLord?
Majesty something something

As such, the difference between Jade and Gold, or Truegold and Underlord, or Truelord? and Majesty? are particularly big.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

LLSix posted:

Not really for Jade to Gold. The transition from Jade to Gold is rushed and not handled well in general, but there's a line something like "a lowgold is just a jade with teeth" in one of the books. The transition to Underlord is unique so far though in that it adds genuinely novel abilities. The closest comparison would be the copper to iron transition which gives Iron Body except that only some Iron Bodies have cool powers, but all Underlords get a new powerset. Truegold to Underlord is definitely the biggest jump described so far.

Sage is somewhere past Majesty if I remember right.

Sage is under Majesty. It's a really good Truelord.

I would also say that Jade => Gold is as big as Truegold => Underlord. They both completely change how you level afterward. Copper-Iron-Jade is basically "the physical level", while "Gold/Highgold/Truegold" is "the assimilation of the thing level".

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I forgot how goddamn short Cradle books are. I haven't so much read Underlord as inhaled it.

Good, though. I think I'd rank it a hair above Ghostwater? Maybe a hair below? I'd have to re-read Ghostwater to be sure. It's definitely got more time for the supporting cast, which was my one major complaint against Ghostwater, and Mercy gets to be a character finally, in her third book, which is nice. But what we trade for that is Ghostwater's roomy, fleshed-out A-plot. These books just aren't long enough to do justice to everything they want to cover. Maybe Wight will have the time to bulk them out after he's done with Elder Empire.

I really liked Underworld. I think it's probably the strongest since the third book. Skysworn/Ghostwater were fine, but quite a bit less well done it felt.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that confuses me a bit is that I was under the impression that Li Markuth guy from Book 1 was at least as strong as anyone on Cradle, since he had "ascended" beyond it, but the powers he demonstrates aren't anything remotely approaching that of what we've seen from a Monarch (they seemed roughly comparable to what you might expect from an Underlord or Overlord; I remember him shooting big balls of wind into the air or something, but his brief struggle against Suriel didn't involve anything approaching what we know to be "top Cradle-level power").

One other thing that comes to mind is that the Wei Path of the White Fox actually seems pretty good compared with many of the outside world paths we've seen. The ability to make your enemies see illusions is pretty good and useful, and I feel like it was even explicitly mentioned at some point that forging light madra is really difficult, yet the Wei could forge extremely realistic disguises from light/dream madra.

It was actually confirmed by the author on his site that Li Markuth ascended from secondary means (most people who ascends do) and was a Archlord. Likewise, Elder Whisper was the strongest guy around the sacred valley, and is a Truegold.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah, the MC of Savage Divinity + the whole harem made me drop it like a hot potato after a while. It's a pity because I would have easily read the same story but with the MC never existing.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm bummed out now that I'm all caught up with Cradle, and the next book is likely going to be one of the most exciting ones yet (since it'll be the first one where Lindon really steps out into the world as a whole). I've been spoiled by all these web serials that release at a breakneck pace.

Honestly, Unsouled camed out in july 2016. If 6 books in less than 3 years isn't "breakneck pace", well.... I would say any faster and there is no way the writer could keep any semblance of quality up.

Also, personally much more excited for Yerin and Eithan to be teaming up and beating up people without Lindon. Really hoping we get a lot of that.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, I'm not complaining about it being the author's fault; it's more that the unedited nature of web serials results in a ludicrous release rate (and isn't Will Wight also working on some other series at the same time currently)?

One thing I'm curious about is whether Lindon and Yerin together could actually beat Eithan now. Eithan is a strong Underlord, but the Emperor seemed to think that he could just handle 3-4 of the enemy Underlords, and Lindon/Yerin are probably both among the stronger Underlords. If Mercy were added to the mix it wouldn't even be a competition, but that would be a bit unfair.

I'm also wondering how Eithan is supposed to keep up with Lindon/Yerin, unless there's just a 20 year timeskip or something, since he has apparently been an Underlord until the age of 34. I guess it could just be the case that your visual age "freezes" when you're reforged in soulfire, so Lindon/Yerin are frozen as these sort of 20-ish looking young adults (it said they looked older after going Underlord).

Well, my pet theory is that Eithan kept himself under overlord because he was waiting for that tournament, so he wouldn't have been going 'slow'.

Also, apparently Lords do age slower, with Sage or those above Archlord aging much, much slower

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Lyon posted:

Anyone reading Mao Ni’s (Ze Tian Ji/Way of Choices) next book The Path Toward Heaven?

Yeah. I am liking it quite a bit, though I am not up to date since it went beyond a paywall. From what I am seeing something big happened last update.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Its Rinaldo posted:

As for the other origins, it’s been generally agreed that Han Jian is the noble birth option and Gan Flexington is the soldier.

Given other details about the noble birth, I /think/ it would have been more likely to be Fan Yu, the noble option.

:Scream:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

LLSix posted:

Yes. So much so that beating people so badly it requires magic to heal them just results in a fine, and not even a fine large enough fine to allow their victim to find a new job (see Ling Qi's newest understanding of what happened to her mom's old job).

A detail, but part of that plot was that Ling Qi realised that low level cultivators who beat up non cultivators actually got a much harsher punishment than non cultivators that beat up other non cultivators.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

That one Grinning Moon/Wind cultivator guy seemed like he went in the direction I kinda wished Ling Qi had gone in, by the way (in terms of his particular wind "interpretation" plus focusing on the Grinning Moon). I enjoy how all these new characters keep getting added. One thing FoD/ToD is really good at is creating a sense that the world is full of a bunch of real people whose lives just happen to intersect with our protagonist's.

If you mean Liao Zhu, he is a Bloody Moon + Reflective Moon cultivator. E.G, 'kill the sinners but give them a chance to repent first'.

He was shirtless yummy with a demon mask on his face.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

LLSix posted:

Meizhen got a similar super art out of her first Elder lesson. Early on it was a lot of the motivation for taking Elder lessons. For some reason that stopped being a thing later in the series.

The reason is that Yrs was still working out how to make lessons attractive and the discord math cabal eventually bullied him into making tutor and elder lessons more time efficient instead of handing out sweet loot. The lack of interest in doing awesome stuff the voters showed in that forum game was staggering even though on a re-read all the cool stuff that let the MC catch up to the nobles very obviously came from exploring, adventuring, and just making friends.

The new system where they're not allowed to not do cool stuff works much better.

Not quite- it's more like people bullied Yrs into having Elder Ying lessons including an art, and then when we got to Elder Jiao lessons Yrs went 'you failed the test so you aren't worth an art' as an argument.

OTOH, for inner disciple lessons, yeah it began as "if they like you they might give you goodies", which happened only for the very first time. Later on it was more about efficiency of the system.

As for Meizhen, she got her first earth art from Elder Ying, then decided she liked earth and asked home to send her more earth art. She then Beat Sun Liling using an earth art

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I... actually liked Uncrowned a lot?

Blackflame was hinted at thorough the whole book, so it didn't feel 'cheap' to me that he learned it offscreen. Finaly fight basically went how I wanted it to go in a way that makes perfect sense, though I am disappointed We haven't seen Eithan going all out to destroy the golden dragon.

I mean, yeah. tournament arcs aren't the most fun. There was a few scene early on in the book where it fellated Lindon a bit too much. But overall it was quite a bit better than I expected, from the people comments here.

Ytlaya posted:

Which art was her earth art? The thing where she came out of the mud near the end?

Yeah, that one. Iirc she also used it do dodge an attack.

Ytlaya posted:

Next time Ling Qi meets with Xiaofen she finds out that Su Ling kicked Gan Guangli's rear end and took over the outer sect.

edit: She should actually be one of the 2 or 3 strongest people in the outer sect now, right? Like, there shouldn't be many third realms out there aside from Guangli and maybe that dude who uses the wires.

Sadly, there is a LOT of competitions. Gan Guangli, Lu Feng, Wen Ai, Han Jian, Chu Song are all confirmed third realms, and most of those have better ressources and arts than Su Ling. Bai Xiao Fen and the Jin guy are probably going to be there, too.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

How does Chu Song fit into this, then? Why didn't she make it into the inner sect last year? It seems like if someone like her can exist outside of the inner sect and reach third realm in the outer sect, there should be at least a few other people in the outer sect who also reached third realm in their third or fourth years or whatever.

Also, do we even know if she's still particularly "active" in the outer sect and hasn't just fallen in with Guangli's new regime? Now that Sun Liling is in the inner sect, there shouldn't really be any sort of organization opposing Guangli's continuation of Cai Renxiang's organization.
Chu Song got to Bronze in her first year, but she basically got not handouts by the sect.

If you recall in the tournament, not everyone got as difficult fights as others. Kang Zihao in particular got a prelim where he was with Sun Liling, then a fight against a yellow that was his old subordinate during the year... and then he was punted aside with a Meizhen fight.

Ling Qi, otoh, got in a prelim fight with both a green 2 opponent but also a full group of Sun Liling's faction who were armed with specific anti-Ling Qi talisman. Then she got a fight against Chu Son to get in the inner sect.

Basically, being a high noble gives you the easy road, and being a vocal anti-cai gives you the harshest road.

quote:

edit: Unrelated, but upon re-reading the Bai Meizhen/Sun Liling fight and even the Gu Xiulan/Wen Ai fight, Ling Qi really needs to get some flashier abilities. She mostly just makes her mist and then freezes people. I feel like the other characters often have aesthetically neater and more coherent powersets because they're left up to the author, instead of the readers choosing stuff based upon game stat stuff.

This is something that's often mentioned to the author, and I think it's because fights being from Ling Qi's PoV means there is more of a focus on the details and less of a focus on the aesthetics.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think I talked about this some in the web serial thread, but there's something about Wandering Inn that fundamentally prevents me from truly "buying into" its story and setting. Like something about the characters, events, and writing makes it impossible for me to forget "this is written by a nerdy person on the internet" (which obviously isn't an inherently bad thing since it's true for literally all of the stuff in this thread, but it can be a problem when it directly influences the writing in a negative way). The best way I can think of articulating it is that I can distinctly derive a sense of "these dialogue and events are being written to appeal to a specific type of person who is familiar with nerd culture in 2019."

Ward is a reasonable web serial to use in comparison, because it's also distinctly flawed but doesn't have that same attribute that bugs me about Wandering Inn (I don't use something like PracGuide for comparison because PracGuide is frankly dramatically better than both Ward and Wandering Inn). For all its flaws with both pacing and prose (though it's probably not worse than Wandering Inn with either), I don't feel like characters and events in Ward are written in a clear attempt to appeal to the audience. By "appeal to the audience" I'm not just referring to power fantasies or Mary Sue type stuff, but also to a particular sort of drama and "emotional scene" that feels distinctly intended to evoke an emotional reaction from people familiar with nerd pop culture.

While this sort of thing is usually present to some extent in most "YA fiction" writing, including stuff like the Cradle series, I think that something like Cradle benefits from still having much better writing/plotting in a broader sense. So even if there's some cheesy stuff that comes with the YA trappings, you still have a solid plot and fun, fairly well-written fight scenes/etc to keep you engaged.

I think a lot of this is tastes and colours? I know I stopped Pracguides specifically because I felt everything about it was intended to be fanservice for a specific fanbase, for example. I stopped Worm for many reasons, but that was also one of the reasons (never took up Ward, so I can't tell about this one).

Basically, I think that if you are the intended audience for the fanservice then the fanservice feels more organic than if you are not the intended audience.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

yeah, that's pretty much just a word-for-word description of he who fights with monsters.

Well, except for being 'a good guy', sure.

The main issue with 'Assholish but good' subgenre is that it very rarely actually plays it well on webnovels as it takes quite a bit of know-how, and instead you get 'rear end in a top hat and evil' or just 'good' after a few chapters.

He who Fights Monsters is the former.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Avulsion posted:

Did you quit reading after he played Dead by Daylight in the holodeck? Everything he's done since then has been pretty clearly not-evil, even if he's still a huge rear end in a top hat.

He has been doing a lot of evil stuff, just nothing that actually has consequences, and he benefits from the good old "If he is being evil, the person he is being evil toward will be retroactively shown to be a villain".

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

The telling thing is that he's actually enough of a realized person that you can argue about his morality, rather than just an outright villain treated as a hero by the story like many WN protags

He engages in threats, intimidation and manipulation against the rich and powerful while being pretty much unfailingly kind and helpful to the poor and powerless. He definitely does evil stuff but also he's possibly the only protag this side of the hilariously problematic Iron Ladies manhwa to have anything close to a class consciousness.

(i love that terrible manhwa btw and ascribe a trans narrative that is definitely not intended unto the main character because it fits imo but holy poo poo is the least recommendable thing ever)

But... he is treated by a complete hero by the story. That's why so many people give up in disgust about the story. It constantly does the "Jason makes a quick assumption of someone's personality, and it turns out right". If someone is evil, they will dislike Jason. If someone is nice, they will like him. If Jason dislikes someone, that person will turn evil (or there is a plot point about it). If Jason likes someone, they will be good.

And that's in the first half second of a meeting.

The story is hilariously shallow.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

mostly that it's a vaguely decent cultivation wn with a female lead. it's a time leap, but the first time around the mc was mostly just jerked around by life even though she eventually reached a high cultivation. the second time, she's more focused on taking care of the people she lost. there's also how as a side effect, she actually lost cultivation and is far weaker than she was at the same point in her first life. it's still very much a power fantasy, but the power is purely social thus far. in other words, when the mc flexes it is in the form of being a catty bitch to assholes she hates.

Mmmh, I am hoping that changes somewhat though, because so far this kind of thing is what is sort of traditional for transmigration/time travel of women in cultivation story. Mostly social put down and not much actual cultivation at all.

I'm also having a hard time thinking the original girl was really really dumb, given all we learn about her past self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Legendary mechanics I gave up on when it gave up on the premise of having the 'awesome players' have any agency or capability that isn't a gift from the protagonist.

Early on there was a lot of bits where it looked like while the protagonist had immense advantages, he also had disadvantages and other people were aweomes. Once they leave the original world, that's far gone.