Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Delve is the only one I've read where the system is presented in a consistent way that isn't (e: only) convenient for the plot, because the author is a math nerd and a large chunk of the story is learning about it by experiment or from talking to people and trying to come up with a good enough exploit.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Mages are too OP is the most frustrating vrmmo WN to me because its very clearly not actually VR and the mystery of what exactly is going on is quite compelling and the way in which players are generally sort of at odds with but also significantly weaker than the entrenched power structures of the 'game world' is pretty great, but it is buried in an awful translation and just, piles of wish fulfillment garbage time

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

i just read the description and it has the exact tone of one of those right wing novels about some ex-marine named JAW TROOPMAN who has to protect his FAMILY AND VALUES from a sinister conspiracy

that's exactly what it is

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the only reason it doesn't is because its 1) insane prepper fantasy instead of insane i love the us government fantasy and 2) an isekai

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, 1889 (Abridged)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Drashin posted:

Separately any good novels that have a strong main character but doesn't realize that what they do is amazing I really like the contrast of having another character think the mc is something like a master mind who thinks 10 steps ahead when in reality they have no idea what they are doing.

to be a power in the shadows gets way too slapstick for my tastes but is exactly that

as far as the main character is concerned he is just being a big silly chuuni but accidentally's his way into worldly influence

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's by the straight guy who always has underage lesbian sex scenes in his works. so, uh, no.

which is, stray cat strut or beware of chicken

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

i like to think of the stray cat strut guy as merely being terminally french rather than a pedophile.

a distinction without a difference when it comes to the arts

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, he stays in the training zone grinding bonus stats far longer than is necessary for marginal gain. normal people instead did minor quests to learn how various systems worked and acquire starting funds.

i'm not gonna defend any aspect of lms other than the game itself.

Early lms was very fun to read but by far the most miserable douche mc (not the most evil, just absolutely miserable to read) who never changes in any way, making him less and less sympathetic as he gets more successful

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

That's going to be in about four years at the current rate.

The author wrote and finished an entire new webnovel since then. (That one's shorter at 300 chapters, though.)

Wait is there an actual translation of ccg being worked on somewhere

Or is the mtl somehow years behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

there's one on webnovel of middling quality, unless you were making a joke about it being MTL quality and like, it's not THAT bad

oh i guess that translation was what i read

it isn't necessarily of the worst quality but it translates little enough it reads like an mtl and i've been under the presumption it was the whole time. probably just an artifact of how much harder comedy is to translate