Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

C. Everett Koop posted:

where's marvel

if we admit that marvel 3 is just an anime game the entire FGC will collapse from cognitive dissonance & the game is dead for all time anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What is even going on with this new CF char?

Edit: He does seem pretty interesting though

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 5, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hello, I like ramlethal and faust

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

nice, a 20 second combo that doesn't even do 50%, i'm glad in this crazy messed up world I can still count on BB to stay the same

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Holy poo poo Susanoo loving rules.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

X -> Xrd

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
EU region Revelator on sale:

https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/783661581590757377

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
put your game on pc you idiots. you loving stupid morons

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Chickenfrogman posted:

Holy poo poo Susanoo loving rules.

He's definitely unique. Stealing from Hiago's twitter:

"Susanoo's drive is used to unlock his special moves. That's why there are locks above his meter gauge.

Each normal you hit moves the cursor over a different lock, and every Drive move you hit unlocks said lock the cursor is on.

You can also upgrade the special's level by unlocking the same special twice.

Susanoo's super uses all of his unlocked special moves in his animation. That's why it seems retardedly long: it had all of them unlocked."

:stare:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress, they put Frank West in Blazblue, but instead of a smartass camera man he's a robot God piloted by a smartass psychopath. Looks like they finally put a char in CF I give a poo poo about that isn't Nine.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

That's a...very interesting leveling mechanic. Does he get to keep them between rounds?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Susano'o's theme is literally just called "Must Die" and it's versus theme with Hakumen is "Gods of War" congrats Mori for hiding this loving character because dumb poo poo like him and this silly rear end motif around him may have just reinvigorated my interest in CF.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

That's a...very interesting leveling mechanic. Does he get to keep them between rounds?

No, you've got to re unlock them each round, but he's apparently got easy combo routes, and what amounts to a jump cancellable grand viper.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

darealkooky posted:

nice, a 20 second combo that doesn't even do 50%, i'm glad in this crazy messed up world I can still count on BB to stay the same

This coming from the internet's foremost fan of Jojo's All Star Battle.

Truthfully, though, combo length vs. damage output has been a problem in BB in the past, but it does feel like it's gotten better from the various matches I've watched while hyping myself up for CF, with the exception of this weird new dude of course.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This coming from the internet's foremost fan of Jojo's All Star Battle.

stupidly long loop combos are a jojo fighting game staple, as part of them being jank as gently caress games people only care about because of the license

blazblue has had this problem for almost a decade and while while it's become better or worse with any given game, it still hasn't gone away for some reason

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 5, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Truthfully, though, combo length vs. damage output has been a problem in BB in the past, but it does feel like it's gotten better from the various matches I've watched while hyping myself up for CF, with the exception of this weird new dude of course.

BB got radically better around CP when they both shortened combos and decreased hitstop significantly. The game still has the usual poo poo about radically changing characters every version and the balance being all over the place, but it's a much more brisk game now and a lot better in general. It's actually faster pacing wise than Xrd series is.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's actually faster pacing wise than Xrd series is.

Can you elaborate? in terms of pure frame data everything in xrd is generally faster by a few frames than it's BB equivilent and the combo length is shorter or about the same. Is it just because of the different teching?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mainly that the pace of Xrd is bogged down by RC Flash and Super Flash animations. Basically, BB is a tiny bit slower in terms of frame data but has less constant interruptions in the game's flow.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
BB's been excellent ever since CP. CS was fun but varied in quality as CS2 was garbage and Extend was mixed.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I enjoyed CP but then CP2 happened and the devs for some reason thought making jin and nu stupidly good again was a good idea and my CT PTSD flared up

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Mainly that the pace of Xrd is bogged down by RC Flash and Super Flash animations. Basically, BB is a tiny bit slower in terms of frame data but has less constant interruptions in the game's flow.

Doesn't BB have way bigger histop though? and while it doesn't have fancy super flash animations it makes up for it by every other super being some kind of rondo that ends up eating lots of time anyway

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

As of CPE at least, BlazBlue actually has 2F less hitstop at every attack level than Xrd.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Weird, the pacing always feels worse whenever I play BB over xrd. Maybe I just have some kind of inherent bias.

More you know I suppose.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No, you've got to re unlock them each round, but he's apparently got easy combo routes, and what amounts to a jump cancellable grand viper.

Interesting. I'm not big on the design and Hazama has always been the bane of my existence but that character theme MUST DIE pretty much means I have to try and pick him up a little bit. It's so good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well here you go, if you're interested in him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn14TrT1jWg

darealkooky posted:

Weird, the pacing always feels worse whenever I play BB over xrd. Maybe I just have some kind of inherent bias.

More you know I suppose.

A lot of people have that, BB makes a lot of folks super angry. Personally, I prefer BB to Xrd but I prefer +R to basically any other game ever made, so I feel like I'm in a weird place.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
This thread seems like a good place to get some nerds to play Lovemax with. We should play some Lovemax later

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

This feels like it might be a little too long. It's a complicated game though! Let me know if you think I should edit it down.

Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late - PS3, PC
UNIEL is a game by the makers of Melty Blood, and is a spiritual sequel to that game in many ways, particularly the garish misappropriation of english words. That said, while Melty Blood is a game that rewards wild air combat and reckless aggression, UNIEL is a game that rewards solid defense, smart decision making, and taking the lead in critical moments. The game came out on PS3 way back in 2014, but a PC version was released this summer. Unfortunately, both the console and PC versions are an update behind the current arcade version, which has been due to arrive on consoles "sometime soon" for about a year. But the dream stays alive, and the version we have is still really good!

The game is a blend of anime airdashers and more ground based combat. Almost every character has access to an airdash/hop, but it can only go forwards, so can't be used as a mobility tool like in other games. Also, air blocking only works against other air attacks or projectiles, and in this game, many characters have MASSIVE ground normals. This means that chicken blocking isn't a thing, and going into the air is a lot more dangerous than in other anime games. This makes for highly interactive, even footsies based gameplay, but at widely variable ranges depending on the matchup. The game's truly unique system mechanics mean that it feels completely different to play from every other game out there.

Though the roster is relatively small at 16 characters, each character has a unique attribute that sets them apart from the rest. For example, Vatista cannot be Counter Hit, and has charge moves in all 4 directions (Back charge, Down charge, Forward Charge, Up Charge). Gordeau can steal GRD from the opponent with his comboable command grabs. Merkava can fly for brutal neutral and oppressive setplay. Carmine's moves leave puddles of blood on the ground which he can utilize later in the match. Even Hyde, the games MC and most basic character has one - his normals involving his sword deal chip damage. The game manages to have many unique characters without giving each one a "gimmick button" like blazblue does. There's bound to be a character you're interested in, so give it a try!

Features
- The innovative GRD Gauge, the games main mechanic. A gauge shared between two players that works like a tug-of-war mechanic. GRD is gained for offensive maneuvers like forward movement and successfully hitting or throwing the opponent, but also for defensive maneuvers like blocking and teching throws. Every 17 seconds, whoever is ahead on GRD is awarded Vorpal State - A 10% damage boost that can be expended to perform a Chain Shift, which freezes the screen and opponent, cancelling your move and/or allowing you to react to what your opponent is doing. Chain Shift is so powerful that whoever has access to it is usually considered to be winning the match, regardless of the players life bars.
- An intricate system which rewards deliberate offense and powerful defense. Strong blocking is eventually rewarded with access to chain shift (and thus the advantage), so offense needs to be structured wisely.
- Simple control scheme, with 3 attack buttons and a utility button.
- Shield, a powerful high-risk high-reward defensive technique that prevents the user from teching throws or switch from/to high/low block when used, but can help create holes in the opponents pressure, generate GRD, or make otherwise safe moves punishable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Play Venom, btw

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

I enjoyed CP

did you like BBCSEX too

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Please don't kinkshame

Gutcruncher posted:

This thread seems like a good place to get some nerds to play Lovemax with. We should play some Lovemax later

I dropped out of arcana 3 b/c nobody played it. Is lovemax just balance tweaks or does it have big changes?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Pomp posted:

Play Venom, btw

I'm gonna play Zato :twisted:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Please do not misspell Love Max!!!!!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
if you put uniel in this thread can you write an entry for virtua fighter as well?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Why exactly are people so opposed to UNIEL being an anime airdasher considering every character can airdash, even the full screen sized grappler?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DisDisDis posted:

I'm gonna play Zato :twisted:

an equally as lovely man

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Why exactly are people so opposed to UNIEL being an anime airdasher considering every character can airdash, even the full screen sized grappler?

because there's no double jumps (except for 2 characters) and airdashing is actually a command movement so some people don't want to qualify it as an airdasher

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Please don't get bent out of shape regarding what is or is not what. I don't want to have this become an issue that actually needs attention. Good writeup though, I'll throw it in the OP.

Anyways, goddamn CF's story thing is huge. Took like an hour and a half of max speed fast forward to get to the end to unlock Susano'o. No wonder the file size is so drat big. Messing with Es for the moment though, and she's actually pretty fun. Dunno if I'll stick with her, but hey more options are cool.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
aquapazza counts as an airdasher too and marvel 2/3 don't

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Anime is anime. You can say it's footsies all you want, but there's way more crossover between UNIEL and Aquapazza players with airdashers than there is with those guys and SF/KoF.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Amane Nine and pretend to play izanami though the idea of offensive options being locking the ability to block in blazblue of all games feels like a no go.

I thought susanoo was legit hakumen.

But is just terumi inside a hakumen? oh anime :japan:

Can we delete terumi by the way?

There's that lovely point in every blzeblues life where the only people playing online are a few laggy as gently caress tager, that 1 arakune and everyone else is loving terumi with a pocket ragna.

Also that one type of noel thats more sad than frustrating that literally just presses drive at everything.

But props to Blazeblue on an unlockable character instead of paygate ala sf5.

i'll excuse guilty gear dlc characters because they are usually free for at least a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

attackmole posted:

Anime is anime. You can say it's footsies all you want, but there's way more crossover between UNIEL and Aquapazza players with airdashers than there is with those guys and SF/KoF.

KoF is anime

• Locked thread